Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

muike posted:

I really want to try one of those out. What's it like?

I've only had it for a few days but so far I think it's one of the best amps I've played. It can go from classic, bright Fender cleans to Marshall-esque levels of crunch with the turn of a knob yet still be quiet enough to play in an apartment by backing down the volume. Crank up the volume and I can't image you'd have a hard time gigging with it, it gets LOUD. It's a really great, fun amp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the Bassbreaker from all everyone has said was a pretty carefully designed amp for the way modern guitarists use amps, and since it's aimed at someone other than blueslawyers the price is pretty okay too.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just bought (and built) some new pedals - I'll take some photos of those to share soon. In the meantime, I just got done doing this totally unnecessary cool thing:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This is awesome, I don't even care what it sounds like. Which pots are those, if you don't mind sharing the info? I build pedals once in a great while, and a couple of my friends would get an enormous kick out of having even more unnecessary lights on their pedal boards.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

This is awesome, I don't even care what it sounds like. Which pots are those, if you don't mind sharing the info? I build pedals once in a great while, and a couple of my friends would get an enormous kick out of having even more unnecessary lights on their pedal boards.

The pots are Alpha clear shaft pots - the only place I've been able to find them is Small Bear Electronics. Unless you're mounting them directly to a pcb, make sure to get the ones with a bushing.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Excellent, thanks! If/when I ever get around to building something again, I'll be sure to share pictures here.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just bought (and built) some new pedals - I'll take some photos of those to share soon. In the meantime, I just got done doing this totally unnecessary cool thing:

Blue LEDs are annoying as gently caress, I have to tape over all of them, blindingly bright on stage, and make it hard to see other pedals indicators, especially the little red boss ones. They are only useful outside, in direct sunlight. I can't imagine being able to see much of anything around that pedal on stage in a dark club.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

Blue LEDs are annoying as gently caress, I have to tape over all of them, blindingly bright on stage, and make it hard to see other pedals indicators, especially the little red boss ones. They are only useful outside, in direct sunlight. I can't imagine being able to see much of anything around that pedal on stage in a dark club.

Actually these are white LEDs, and they're pretty highly diffused through the knobs - the camera makes them look way brighter than they actually are in person. The pedal DOES light up a ton, but it's way more ambient than most of the naked ultrabright LEDs on a lot of other pedals.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JohnnySmitch posted:

As someone who is trying to get started in pedal building and possibly turn it into a business I always feel inspired when I see your pedals. This one is real snazzy and creative.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Pokey Araya posted:

I actually applied black Sharpie to the LEDs on my Genz-Benz Shuttle, and they're still too bright, especially since they're usually at eye level when the amp is sitting on a cab.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Love the font on the knobs. That thing is awesome.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Pokey Araya posted:

:shrug: could always have a trimmer or extra pot to adjust brightness

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

As someone who is trying to get started in pedal building and possibly turn it into a business I always feel inspired when I see your pedals. This one is real snazzy and creative.

I kind of want to do the same thing (small-scale pedal-boutique type thing), but isn't the guitar world pretty saturated with pedals right now? And guitar-gear in general for that matter.

I'm not putting your idea down, I just wonder how many pedals there really is a market for at the moment.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ I agree - the boutique effects market is absolutely saturated right now. I just happen to enjoy building pedals and tinkering with circuits, and sell a few here and there to help fund more builds. It's really crazy to me that some of these guys are still trying to sell dirt pedals for $300-$400. I get pretty carried away with hand painted housings and custom knobs and stuff, and I still couldn't imagine asking for that kind of money for Tubescreamer/Elektra/Fuzzface clone variation #69,453.

It is a ton of fun to Frankenstein different parts of different circuits together and see what happens though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pondex posted:

I kind of want to do the same thing (small-scale pedal-boutique type thing), but isn't the guitar world pretty saturated with pedals right now? And guitar-gear in general for that matter.

I'm not putting your idea down, I just wonder how many pedals there really is a market for at the moment.

I feel you but realize that if you make great pedals, market better than the other guys, and work your rear end off then there's a good chance it's possible. This goes for most business though. You could say the market is oversaturated and full or you could look at it as a challenge with a wide variety of builders to pay attention to, learn from, and develop a network with.

It's totally doable but of course I have no personal proof to show. I think that we're in an industry shift that heavily favors small builders and I can only see that growing stronger over the years. The difference between X builder and Y builder making it into something more than a side hobby is going to come down to the work they're willing to put in.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel you but realize that if you make great pedals, market better than the other guys, and work your rear end off then there's a good chance it's possible. This goes for most business though. You could say the market is oversaturated and full or you could look at it as a challenge with a wide variety of builders to pay attention to, learn from, and develop a network with.

It's totally doable but of course I have no personal proof to show. I think that we're in an industry shift that heavily favors small builders and I can only see that growing stronger over the years. The difference between X builder and Y builder making it into something more than a side hobby is going to come down to the work they're willing to put in.

That sounds like the right attitude :)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

1966 Mosrite Celebrity Hollowbody

It's great for clean tones, strumming, rhythm stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

1966 Mosrite Celebrity Hollowbody

It's great for clean tones, strumming, rhythm stuff.

Goddamn, that's nice.

Are those knobs oblong, or is it photographing weird?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I got this thing thing off Reverb for a 100 bucks shipped:

Digitech Trio Band Creator.

Basically you stomp it, play a chord progression, and try to stop again on the last beat, and it will add drums/bass to whatever you just played.
It's kind of tricky to get working right(probably because I can't ever seem to stomp at the right time), but when you do get it right, it is a loving blast.

You can edit the drums/bass style and tempo with a knob turn.

It's probably the most entertaining jam practice tool I have ever seen. Think Rocksmith jam session in pedal form, but it doesn't change as you keep playing.

Pretty fun little thing.

Here is a pro video of a guy using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4484J3JhYGY

Dirt fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 19, 2016

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just put a few new pedals onboard:

On the top right are my two newest builds - the little one is a germanium boost/light overdrive (Driver Driver), and to the left of it is a clone of a Mid-Fi Electronics "Demo Tape" dirt pedal - a really cool overdrive/light fuzz with a great tone stack and mild to sputtery, super saturated distortion.

Below those is an EHX Pitchfork, which I'm loving so far - I use it to flat my tuning without changing guitars for songs in flatted, as well as going up a step to save me from pulling out a capo mid-set. It's got a great, customizable "glissando" effect too, where you can change the switch to momentary and make the the pitch dive while you hold it down. When you let go, it springs back up. The pedal lets you set the rate that this happens (if you plug in an expression pedal to set it with). I use it to play the intro part of Lonely Boy by the Black Keys. The Pitchfork can also do a pretty passable chorus effect in a pinch too - I'm really super happy with how much utility I'm getting from this thing.

All the other pedals on the board are a bit older, except the lower left Major Tom delay, which I've monkeyed around with to add switchable modulation to; I might produce a couple of these as a special "Warp Drive" edition or something in the near future.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I finally remembered to take a picture of my current pedalboard setup:

Bottom center I've got dirt boxes I built (I've posted videos in the thread) and I'm in love with them if I may say so myself. They're working like a dream for the "post-doom sludge" I'm playing. Simple poo poo (though Frank's Spaghetti is a bit needlessly overcomplicated) but the dirt is gnarly in both cases.

The next newest item there is the Black Arts Toneworks LSTR which replaced a Big Muff Pi and was my go-to fuzzbox before I made my own. But one can never have too many fuzzes on a pedalboard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

SO MUCH FOR NOT BUYING ANYTHING TODAY

Weird old Frankensteined hollow bodied something with Teisco gold foils. Not a Silvertone that decal is blatantly something somebody stuck on after.

It's blues as gently caress tho

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 21, 2016

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Goddamn, that's nice.

Are those knobs oblong, or is it photographing weird?

Thanks, They are unique knobs Mosrite made that are shaped kind of like bowler hats.

Shugojin posted:

SO MUCH FOR NOT BUYING ANYTHING TODAY

Weird old Frankensteined hollow bodied something with Teisco gold foils. Not a Silvertone that decal is blatantly something somebody stuck on after.

It's blues as gently caress tho

Very cool. I know Sears Roebuck contracted Danelectro to make guitars for them, then slapped their Silvertone branding on them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nah, I mean that the logo looks like a decal somebody printed off on a decal maker and stuck it on there. Phone camera isn't good enough to show that. Store owner reckons it was some sort of a Kay that somebody did a little headstock modding on and some other stuff. Previous owner had it set up for slide guitar so the action is pretty high but it's still playable even on the high frets (as long as you aren't trying to shred).

I dunno, it ticks off "weird hollow bodied thing older than me" on my GAS bucket list!

Also a previous owner did something to the body that makes it say "TIME WING" on the back but my phone camera isn't good enough to show that either because you can only see it when the light hits it just right. Kinda like if there was a little bit of tape that had been painted over and then sealed properly, it's weird.

TIME WING

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9YBxD-FsQI

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Shugojin posted:

Nah, I mean that the logo looks like a decal somebody printed off on a decal maker and stuck it on there. Phone camera isn't good enough to show that. Store owner reckons it was some sort of a Kay that somebody did a little headstock modding on and some other stuff. Previous owner had it set up for slide guitar so the action is pretty high but it's still playable even on the high frets (as long as you aren't trying to shred).

I dunno, it ticks off "weird hollow bodied thing older than me" on my GAS bucket list!

Also a previous owner did something to the body that makes it say "TIME WING" on the back but my phone camera isn't good enough to show that either because you can only see it when the light hits it just right. Kinda like if there was a little bit of tape that had been painted over and then sealed properly, it's weird.

TIME WING

It's a Silvertone 1420!
(or a knockoff)

I actually just got one too, though that one looks to be in gorgeous shape. Mine was rebuilt/resanded/relaquered by a great luthier, but it looks its age.

http://imgur.com/8ICPuSA

edit: ah, the pickup selector is in a different spot... it's pretty close to being a dead ringer though.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 25, 2016

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
:aaaaa: that is so cool! Some serious 'Old Black' vibes going on there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

sorry for image quality. i put new tuners on it too instead of the lovely kidney beans for the correct keystones

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Remembered I have a few IKMM preamps, figured out how to get them running with Windows 10 (which was easy, thankfully), and got caught up on gear from the custom shop.

Amplitube 4 is really nice. I've liked their software since Amplitube 2, but this is a much more significant improvement compared to the last time they went up a version. The new cab room works well and the new amp sims all sound very good. They've really improved the effects routing options to be more flexible. If you have an idea of what you want to do, you can get close to your idea quicker now.

I haven't recorded a demo in a long time, but I'm thinking about it for this. Always used to help me get comfortable with new software.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Do you step on your laptop to turn on the effects? :v:

I'm just a bassist, so I'm not big on effects, but I do get enjoyment from that solid "click" from a quality stompbox. I've got a fuzz pedal, and once I get a compressor I'll be complete with my effects chain.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Nah, the control board has that covered via MIDI (or DAW automation). I've got it set up with a StealthPedal interface right now, so I've got expression control regardless, and I've got the expansion footswitch around here somewhere so I can get a couple buttons off this if I need to. Later today, going to go to storage and see if I can get this StompIO unit I have running. If I can get the drivers from whenever ago to work on Windows 10, it has one of the best instrument preamps I've ever used (and a lot of control options, too).

Edit: Hah, it works perfectly. Killer instrument preamp in this thing, as I remembered, and it's good to be able to control the software like real pedals. A friend wants to hear the mesa pack, so I'll record some demos of that and put them up on my old blog, why not. I like the Marshall sims now a lot too. The new ones and the ones from Amplitube Slash are nice. The Oranges are fun too, and the newer pedals are very solid. Wampler Pinnacle sounds great, though I already knew that from when I play tested it for inclusion in the CS back in 2014. I'd love to see them revisit the pedals they modeled back in Amplitube Metal, because they're getting a little old in the tooth now DSP-wise but they represent some classic pedals.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 2, 2016

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up a MarkBass 102C 2x10 combo yesterday.

It absolutely owns, is extremely light, and should have enough power that I won't be looking to upgrade for a long time. Cost was a bit higher than I had wanted, but it's one of the best reviewed combos and I had a 20% off GC coupon to use.

Plan to stack my 1x15 cabinet below to compliment the 10s.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

Picked up a MarkBass 102C 2x10 combo yesterday.

It absolutely owns, is extremely light, and should have enough power that I won't be looking to upgrade for a long time. Cost was a bit higher than I had wanted, but it's one of the best reviewed combos and I had a 20% off GC coupon to use.

Plan to stack my 1x15 cabinet below to compliment the 10s.

You won't need to do any upgrades to that for quite a while, especially if the 1x15 plays nice and you don't get any weird phase issues. 20% off makes it a drat good purchase.

My bass is finally at the top of the build list, he is cutting the neck pocket and gluing on the fingerboard today :dance:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

sorry for image quality. i put new tuners on it too instead of the lovely kidney beans for the correct keystones

hey it's me jealous guitar poster guy :swoon:

Liking it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yes, I am happy with it, even though it's something I wouldn't usually play. It's a nice change of pace and the quality is reasonably good.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just got this mint thing. (restrung to lefty)

Haven't had a FR in a long time. The passive EMGs are pretty good!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why doesn't Schecter make more kickass cool beautiful guitars like that one?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chinatown posted:

I really like that, very cool

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

We lefties occasionally get some swanky stuff. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So I've noticed some bad buzzing on my Venus XII's E string and then I looked at the bridge and ahahahahahaha :suicide:

Basically I'm trying to understand the clusterfuck because it looks like someone took some of the bridge saddles (which are round tubes of varying sizes) and switched them around randomly..