Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What's bad about short scale? I've got small hands and not-great wingspan, so I generally figure a SS would be better.

(I also feel like a dork asking all these questions when I may just go and blow my music stuff budget on some drums or more guitar effects.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing wrong with Short scales if you have small hands and whatnot. Also musical dorkery is part and parcel of the music trade here.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

rio posted:

My life is complete. '70 L-5 CES. It's only down from here.
Beautiful! But not downhill. Just no more gas! Or at least that's how it worked for me.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Just got a Conklin GT-7 bass in the mail yesterday!

Used to have the GTBD-7 version of this bass, and have been jonesing for another one for years now. I like the neck woods and bolt on better. Throwing in a bartolini 3-band this afternoon after work.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pyrthas posted:

Beautiful! But not downhill. Just no more gas! Or at least that's how it worked for me.

hahahahahahaha no more gas what the gently caress is this

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm in love

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Thorpe posted:

Used to have the GTBD-7 version of this bass, and have been jonesing for another one for years now. I like the neck woods and bolt on better. Throwing in a bartolini 3-band this afternoon after work.

5-string necks are as big as i can comfortably work with, I can't imagine trying to play something with a neck that huge... Looks sweet though! Bart electronics are great too, I seriously considered one for my fretless but opted for simplicity. Next bass might be a VM P or J, so I can add it myself.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Schpyder posted:

hahahahahahaha no more gas what the gently caress is this
I know, I know, it's crazy. But that's actually what happened when I got my holy grail vintage archtop. I look at other guitars and think, "Hey, that sounds great, looks great, it'd be cool to have that, but I've already got my Epi, so I'm good."

I'm pretty sure this is partly because all these guitars are super expensive, but eh, I'll take it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Jumping on the Bass VI train, I got mine in October (also got the white... I'm sensing a theme)

I HIGHLY recommend the Staytrem bridge. It has fixed a lot of those sympathetic string vibration and intonation issues (well, it's always gonna have issues, but it's much more reigned in now)

The second is Kalium strings, they offer balanced tension strings specifically for the VI. I have a .102 set and found it very comfortable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thorpe posted:

I struggle to play my old ESP 6 string well but this looks so fun to play.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

I struggle to play my old ESP 6 string well but this looks so fun to play.

It's got fairly tight string spacing and the neck has a weird asymmetric carve on the back making it pretty easy. I bought a btb 7 string and ended up returning it. It didn't feel that great, and the electronics were very scooped sounding no matter what I did. Can't believe a bass this good was only $550.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Got a cool new Ibanez Talman!

I guess you can only get this color combo at Guitar Center, otherwise it's just Red and Seafoam Green. Sounds like a Tele, plays like a cross between an Ibanez and a Fender. It's small and very light. Needed some fret end attention like all factory instruments do, and I'll be getting a set of Nordstrand NVT A3 pickups put in ASAP, but it's so nice. Makes me play substantially differently than my RGA121 which was the point.
Hi Talman TFB buddy! Since I got mine and put JBE Danny Gattons in it, it's the only guitar I've been playing. It's addictive!

I got lucky this time. I've bought three Indonesian-built Ibanezes and this is the only one that didn't need a luthier to fix anything. It calls to me every night after work to sit and noodle for a bit.

I've been meaning to post clips but work has kept me too busy to record. I was wondering if the honeymoon phase would end but so far, I'M still in full :swoon:.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

That strat-input/tele control-plate combo is so goddam goofy. I love it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Hmm there's a micro terror and 1x12 cab stupidly cheap and close to me on eBay ( pick up only). Tempting. Can't see it staying so heap though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Serotonin posted:

Hmm there's a micro terror and 1x12 cab stupidly cheap and close to me on eBay ( pick up only). Tempting. Can't see it staying so heap though.

Pickup is even better - you can talk to the seller and test it out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pondex posted:

That strat-input/tele control-plate combo is so goddam goofy. I love it.

Same here.

Ibanez deign meeting " Yeeeeesss, but how do we copy all the Fenders? Like, is that something we can do?"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"hey boss, remember when Gibson sued us in the 70s? Hold my beer and watch this"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

"hey boss, remember when Gibson sued us in the 70s? Hold my beer and watch this"

Gison sued, Fender said "you're hired." (I know, to the factory, not Ibanez themselves.)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Welp, that was unplanned.

Walked into the local Guitar Center today just to browse around. And I wound up walking out with one of these. I've wanted one for a while, and they're $40 off right now at GC and I've never seen them NIB on sale anywhere else before, so one impulse buy later, and hello to babby's first analog synth:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Allen Wren posted:

What's bad about short scale? I've got small hands and not-great wingspan, so I generally figure a SS would be better.

(I also feel like a dork asking all these questions when I may just go and blow my music stuff budget on some drums or more guitar effects.)

Scale length has a pretty drastic effect on tone. It's not better or worse, but it's pretty different.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi Talman TFB buddy! Since I got mine and put JBE Danny Gattons in it, it's the only guitar I've been playing. It's addictive!

I just got some goodies for mine in the mail today!

I basically bought this guitar specifically to have something to put this set of pickups in. They're glorious.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The other day I sold my Virus TI2 Keyboard. I don't _really_ play keys and I already have the UltraNova and Push so having a 61-key board in front of me all the time was definitely overkill. Couldn't part with the sound of the Virus (or the TI plugin) though, so I went to L&M and grabbed the Desktop version for basically the same price I sold the Keyboard. Here it is happily integrated into my desk setup alongside the UltraNova, Push and Banshee talkbox.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I rearranged my bass pedalboard. The whole front row minus expression pedal is new over the last 6 months or so. Delays are replacing a Moog Minifooger (the Memory Boy is mostly just for squarewave oscillation) and the Pickle Pie replaced a Mastotron with a couple of short-lived fuzzes in between. The Bassist Comp and VT are still my always-on rocks. The looper in the bottom left is hilariously tiny and basically works like a Ditto except you can also speed/pitch up or down up to an octave. Got it for $40 on CL.

Also, I either had it wired up really dumbly before (VT used to be toward the end) or had a bad cable somewhere, because after rearranging pedals the whole thing is about 12 db louder than it used to be...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am missing my Diamond bass comp. That was the best guitar compressor I've ever used,

Just got EZdrummer 2 and I'm really enjoying it, very easy to work with. Going to pick up a few expansions to get some more sound variety, but this is going to be all I wanted to get some tracks together for my blog, and hopefully it'll be easy enough to use with an electronic drum kit when I pick one up later this year / early next.

Still getting back into playing, just spending a few hours every day making patches and programming drums right now. Loving the Amplitube 4 Marshall amps and they probably have the best Mesa sims of the commercial software I've used, but I did also finally install S-Gear 2. Which is a bit late, I got it in 2012 and promptly hurt my back right out of playing music or doing much of anything for a few years, oops.

Turns out that Scuffham dude may know a thing or two about amps. It's bare-bones but what it can do, it does as well as anything I've used. Very different approach from the big companies promoting huge simulated gear lists, but it's quick to work with and produces some outstanding sound quality and remarkable variety (smart tweaking options) from its 5 amp sims and a handful of effects. I guess if it was going to take off like a rocket it'd have done so by now but I have to imagine it's because of a relative lack of exposure or some basic frustration with its effects limitations, top notch amps here.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 18, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey Agreed, glad to know your back is mending.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thanks man :) I'm glad that after the surgery I don't have to add a bunch of titanium screws to my gear list - I have had a hard enough time rehabbing it and getting fit as it is, would be even harder with hardware I guess.

Though it ain't much of a list these days. I don't know if it ever will be again though, have a lot of other stuff going on and not really sure it even makes sense for me to have much gear anymore. Plus these sims aren't just good enough now, they mix easy and you can usually find at least one model of a given type of amp out there that's been done right for your needs somewhere.

Yo I got a shitload of picks though, and I still have my Univalve - just waiting on when we can get into a house instead of these apartments and I can pair it with a nice little 1x12 cab. Maybe a ported Mesa cab, I like those pretty well.

Anyway, was never a lack of the right gear keeping me from making music - fun to just sit and play these days, I wasn't in a very good head space for a lot of years there but I'm getting it back.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 18, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey Agreed it's nice to see you around. I've missed your posts and I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)

I'm considering EZDrummer 2 at the moment actually. That and Superior are my top two options. I should get to it soon and just pick one to roll with instead of jumping back and forth so much.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey Agreed it's nice to see you around. I've missed your posts and I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)

I'm considering EZDrummer 2 at the moment actually. That and Superior are my top two options. I should get to it soon and just pick one to roll with instead of jumping back and forth so much.
I bought EZDrummer 2, it's pretty cool, I haven't had enough time to get good with it. Good drum programming is loving hard. I thought about Superior, but the investment wasn't worth it for me (yet, who knows in the future).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm digging it so far, definitely beats my click track for jamming! I have only mixed a few drum tracks with it so far but it's been pretty straightforward; thanks to the mixer in the plugin it's easy for me to to make a quick working track in the software, toss a bus comp after it and use the internal mixer for level adjustment. That saves the hassle of working with individual tracks on a drum bus for quick projects, at least.

As I remember from the first one, its included comp and reverb are great for a quick jamtrack in the standalone mode but not really competitive with dedicated software for those applications. Another "it mixes really quick" feature though, for sure.

Very solid selection of included drums, and a really smooth pitch shifter that helps dial the samples in for a track. Small adjustments sound pretty transparent to me. Haven't even picked up any expansions, though I'm probably getting a few of them within the next month to add some more samples and grooves. It's going to be cool being able to do drum tracks for demos again. I like the process of writing little demo tunes like that, never did prefer the "here's just my guitar and nothing else" kinda demo even though I did a lot of them.

I need to get a new midi controller but can't swing it at the moment. I seem to remember StompIO working for MIDI and automation but I'm having trouble getting anything but the sound hardware working right now. Not a very well supported product now that it's been discontinued for like 7 years...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 19, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agreed posted:

Anyway, was never a lack of the right gear keeping me from making music - fun to just sit and play these days, I wasn't in a very good head space for a lot of years there but I'm getting it back.

Hey, Agreed! Glad to hear you're getting better. Missed seeing you around.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

How interested are you in control over your drum sound? EZ Drummer sounds really good out the box and is more geared towards getting songs 'done', whereas Superior is all about granular control of EVERYTHING and sounds far more raw until you process it.

Both sound great, but Superior is much more of a time investment to sound good. Devin Townsend used EZ Drummer for the Ziltoid album (and has also done a kit for one of the Metal packs for Superior, which as you can guess is compressed to hell). The inbuilt effects in SD are pretty decent, you have little control other than "amount" in EZ, though both do multi out.

Were I to plan on doing a gig with fake laptop drums I'd probably pick EZ as its a bit lighter on the CPU. And the packs are smaller. Metal Machine alone for SD is 30gig if that's a consideration.

To end this possibly useless ramble, both are good, depends how much control you want. I use SD.

Also, great to see you back Agreed, I never posted much when you were last around but your posts were always super informative when I was a lurker.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What kind of time difference are we talking. If EZD2 could get me 80% there in a significantly shorter time frame I see the appeal. Then again you can't really beat molding raw data.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dont get me wrong, there are a bunch of pre-built kits with fx on each channel already in Superior that sound pretty good but it really shines when you put the work in. If you already have a somewhat working knowledge of drum processing I'd say go for Superior if you can afford it, all the EZ Drummer packs will work with it, that way if six months down the line you feel you need more options you are covered.

If you are happy with the onboard Sonalksis plug ins the mixer is more than usable without delving into multi-outs. The biggest seller for me is bleed levels, I don't like too much kick or snare in my overheads and am fussy about toms so being able to set my own bleed in the room or overheads is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/5o7yE10OuNs is a good overview.

If you use Cubase there are a bunch of drum maps floating around out there for it too which are a godsend. It took me around 30 mins setting up my "default" kit and all the outs with appropriate fx in Cubase which I saved as a template and it was worth that initial effort, not much more time than it would take with EZ and one of its 'raw' patches.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just got this in the mail. One actually arrived Tuesday but the speaker had a coil rub so the owner two dayed me (for free, and refunded my original shipping cost) another one so I have it for a gig tomorrow - great customer support. It is loving LOUD. I can't believe the sound that comes out of this tiny thing. The volume also goes up to 11 which is cute.

Tech specs:
• 120 watts
• 17 lbs
• 9″x9″x9″
• 1/8 Aux. input
• Dual channel, each with independent 5-band EQ and reverb, 48 volt phantom powered XLR/1/4″ combo inputs, and input gain control.
• TRS send/return FX loops for each channel with instrument/line level select
• Channel 2 bright switch
• XLR balanced line out (post EQ and reverb, both channels)
• OEM 6.5″ Eminence Beta speaker with special fluid-cooled, high-yield neodymium tweeter (defeat-able)
• Ext. Speaker out
• Headphone Jack

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

After using cheapish guitars for twenty years, I decided to shell out for one of these.

My wife isn't impressed, sadly. I get the feeling that if I spend another penny on guitars there's a divorce coming my way.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 20, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

After using cheap guitars for twenty years, I decided to shell out for one of these.

My wife isn't impressed, sadly.

Sexy inlays. I only know Gibson electrics so I immediately thought ES-175. What model is that?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

It's a Hummingbird. Gibson's squared shoulder dreadnaught.

Always wanted one as a kid. Tried a Martin D35 and D28, Gibson J45 and a J200. But kept coming back to this during my visit to the store. Plan to pass this onto my daughter in years to come, if she shows any interest in music.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 20, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NonzeroCircle posted:

Dont get me wrong, there are a bunch of pre-built kits with fx on each channel already in Superior that sound pretty good but it really shines when you put the work in. If you already have a somewhat working knowledge of drum processing I'd say go for Superior if you can afford it, all the EZ Drummer packs will work with it, that way if six months down the line you feel you need more options you are covered.

If you are happy with the onboard Sonalksis plug ins the mixer is more than usable without delving into multi-outs. The biggest seller for me is bleed levels, I don't like too much kick or snare in my overheads and am fussy about toms so being able to set my own bleed in the room or overheads is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/5o7yE10OuNs is a good overview.

If you use Cubase there are a bunch of drum maps floating around out there for it too which are a godsend. It took me around 30 mins setting up my "default" kit and all the outs with appropriate fx in Cubase which I saved as a template and it was worth that initial effort, not much more time than it would take with EZ and one of its 'raw' patches.

Thank you for the link, I'll check that out and hopefully get a better idea of Superior. I think it's winning for me anyway. I'll be mostly new to virtual drums and the price difference isn't too much. I'm sure the steeper learning curve will pay off in the end unless I get lazy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm tolerating the color, because I got it for an insane price, and it plays and sounds amazing.

Here's how it sounds when played by guitarists much better than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1P0zEZIqc

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
4 pickup switches, master volume, master tone? Hell yeah!
Also after watching that video I gotta to jam Man or Astroman for the next few hours.

This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOld-kvQYm0

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like it, finish and all. What is it/who makes it?