Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Saki posted:

Are you certain? I was sure that there was some system in place for people who had to travel far. I knew someone who signed on by post because he lived too far from the centre.

My jobcentre adviser told me I couldn't be reimbursed for my sign on days. For any other appointments I could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So Clifford is guilty of 8/11 counts, with a split on one of the remaining three...

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Max Clifford's been found guilty on 8 counts of the indecent assault.

Wonder how long the scum is going to get in prison, as with that many hes got to be getting some jail time.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

bitterandtwisted posted:

My jobcentre adviser told me I couldn't be reimbursed for my sign on days. For any other appointments I could be.

drat that sucks. I wonder if the policy depends on the centre.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is there any way we're going to hear that name that was bleeped out of Starsuckers?

Surely we have to compel him to give that evidence or something I dunno.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't know if things have changed in recent years, but the jobcentre was the worst place to find a job. All they had were these terminals where you could search jobs and print out the contact details. I could do the exact same search from home and it wouldn't cost me a £5 bus ticket. Plus from home I could search other sites and apply online. The jobcentre's only purpose seemed to be to make you feel worthless in front of other people.
I was breifly on a work programme thing after being out of work for 6 months and they made me go in there and use their poo poo computers once a week even after I explained to my 'advisor' (who was a complete oval office yes i used that word, its the only one that does the bastard justice) a zillion times how much more effective i could be looking for work with my own machince and my links etc. I found work shortly after on my own exactly how ive always done it with no help from that lot except misery. Actually wrote my MP a complaint letter and got a personal response. Gotta love that Caroline Lucas.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ukle posted:

Max Clifford's been found guilty on 8 counts of the indecent assault.

Wonder how long the scum is going to get in prison, as with that many hes got to be getting some jail time.

I thought this was coming when the judge kicked two people off and announced a majority verdict because people weren't being reasonable. I'm delighted, he all but confessed to raping people in his defence when he said "no but they never said no so it doesn't count." That was the actual defence of the king of spin.

e; wow that sounded snarky, dunno where that came from. Fixed.

Tolth posted:

There a lot of people who will tell you that every 'sociopath' should be killed or imprisoned by default despite the fact that they'll go blank when you ask them what that word actually means.

Honestly if you don't think sociopaths (with the caveat of antisocial behaviour being recorded) should be held somewhere safe until we can figure out what the gently caress will make them not dangerous then I don't really know. Which we do anyway.

Although I'd agree we should probably change the testing criteria into something vaguely scientific if we're giving them automatic life sentences upon "diagnosis".

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

One of the major "advantages" of making people sign on everyday is it shunts a lot of unemployed people into the grey unemployed area - ie those who don't have a job but aren't signed on as they have some savings / parents / partners who can get them through while looking for jobs. If you make it harder to sign on people will look for other options.

Yet another reason why "unemployment" figures are completely BS.

The problem is that there is a lot of work that needs doing. We need more doctors, more nurses, more aid workers, more council workers, more infrastructure built. The list goes on. The government can produce a lot of jobs if it wanted to, but austerity and the free market are more efficient (at siphoning profits into a small amount of pockets).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26744712 posted:

Setting out his case for the defence, barrister Richard Horwell QC cast doubt on evidence given so far, saying "details" had "caught out" the prosecution witnesses.

In particular, he said they had given "contradictory" evidence relating to the size of Mr Clifford's penis.

He said evidence from the seven accusers about its size ranged from "freakishly small" to "enormous" and, as such, none could be relied upon.

"None of these four witnesses is correct," said Mr Horwell. "That's because Mr Clifford has an average-sized penis. That will be his evidence."

Asked about its size, Mr Clifford said it was "average".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Max Cliffords penis is 2 inches and people were fairly consistent about that fyi

the girl who said it was huge also said shed never seen one before and had a tiny mouth, causing the day to be ended as the jurors started laughing at him.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Clearly the only way to settle this issue and truly determine his guilt or innocence will be for him to whip it out during sentencing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Saki posted:

drat that sucks. I wonder if the policy depends on the centre.

No, he's totally right, its across the board. They will pay for interview travel if you are not on the WP, and its over an hour journey. If you are, they have approx £100 allocated to get you work clothes and travel, and that goes pretty loving quick if you are even 35 miles from London like I am and a cheapday return is over £20. My appointment was cancelled today, so I can only assume those slimy bastards may be creeping about extolling the virtues of indentured servitude.

To the person whose brother's mate died; in the short term you are probably the best one for him to talk to right now. Try to dissuade him from researching depression and the like, it won't help.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Spangly A posted:

Max Cliffords penis is 2 inches and people were fairly consistent about that fyi

the girl who said it was huge also said shed never seen one before and had a tiny mouth, causing the day to be ended as the jurors started laughing at him.
Oh, yeah, I'm in no way attempting to cast doubt on the verdict or anything. I just found it weird that when I googled for info that's what I came up with.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

Oh, yeah, I'm in no way attempting to cast doubt on the verdict. I just found it weird that when I googled for info that was what I came up with.

I want everyone to be absolutely clear that Max Clifford is literally a rapist with a two inch penis.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

I already bagsied it :smug: Since it's May next month it ought to be an :siren: Euro Election Special :siren:

Hang on, shouldn't that get its own tread as per the mid-terms in the USA?

You're hogging of the OP for such a niche debate in these important days is wrong. It is right that we discuss only those issues affecting the UK and not kowtow to the oppressive EU superstate!

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Saki posted:

Are you certain? I was sure that there was some system in place for people who had to travel far. I knew someone who signed on by post because he lived too far from the centre.

They only have to pay if you have to travel beyond a certain distance, something like 10 miles, and even then it's only for their assessments, not for regular signing on - you used to be able to opt to sign on via post if you lived that far away, but I think the tories nixed that too.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SybilVimes posted:

They only have to pay if you have to travel beyond a certain distance, something like 10 miles, and even then it's only for their assessments, not for regular signing on - you used to be able to opt to sign on via post if you lived that far away, but I think the tories nixed that too.

lol so basically if you have to take one bus to the centre, assuming no travelcards and it being every weekday you need to sign on, thats ~£15 a week if on an oyster or £25 a week if you're on cash.
So if you get like £70 a week, to even get it you're reduced by a £15 tax essentially. And thats assuming its just one bus. What if you had to take the tube to your nearest centre? And to those saying you should walk, what if there are no reasonable routes?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

notaspy posted:

You're hogging of the OP for such a niche debate in these important days is wrong. It is right that we discuss only those issues affecting the UK and not kowtow to the oppressive EU superstate!

Everyone should get involved in Junior G-mans European Elections thread!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pilchenstein posted:

Do the Samaritans deal with that sort of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They deal with anything and everything and are generally excellent. They'll also be properly confidential: my girlfriend used to volunteer with them and she never told me anything about any of the people she spoke to.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 28, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

lol so basically if you have to take one bus to the centre, assuming no travelcards and it being every weekday you need to sign on, thats ~£15 a week if on an oyster or £25 a week if you're on cash.
So if you get like £70 a week, to even get it you're reduced by a £15 tax essentially. And thats assuming its just one bus. What if you had to take the tube to your nearest centre? And to those saying you should walk, what if there are no reasonable routes?

Well, you see, then gently caress YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

notaspy posted:

75% of our OPs come from europe

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

I'm pretty sure that Martin Clarke just spends his days hunkered down in the corner of his office slowly wanking himself to death.

Also courtesy link to Buff the Banana with Paul Dacre

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Phoon posted:

75% of our OPs come from europe

There are also billions of Bulgarian OPs coming over as we speak and the politically correct UKMT is not willing to deal with this terrible OP immigration problem.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

StoneOfShame posted:

There are also billions of Bulgarian OPs coming over as we speak and the politically correct UKMT is not willing to deal with this terrible OP immigration problem.

Well, we also know plenty of OPs have hosed off to France and Spain to retire, and languish in the sun whilst still getting winter fuel payments and coming back here to get their hip operations.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Rename Brussels Sprouts Churchill Sprouts

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Well poo poo...

61yo Teacher stabbed to death in Leeds Catholic School

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Spangly A posted:

Honestly if you don't think sociopaths (with the caveat of antisocial behaviour being recorded) should be held somewhere safe until we can figure out what the gently caress will make them not dangerous then I don't really know. Which we do anyway.

Although I'd agree we should probably change the testing criteria into something vaguely scientific if we're giving them automatic life sentences upon "diagnosis".

That caveat is huge though - you can't define a sociopath by the presence of antisocial behavior, that's why the term 'sociopath' is avoided in modern psychiatry in favor of 'antisocial personality disorder' in cases where people have shown unequivocally antisocial behavior.

I'm a high-functioning sociopath - I have almost no emotional responses whatsoever and absolutely no inherent empathy at all, and my psychology is distinctly different to that of a neurotypical person. However, I'm not stupid or 'evil' - I'm smart enough to realize that antisocial behavior is ultimately a dumb-short term strategy that will only gently caress me over in the long run, despite the fact that I feel no inherent guilt whatsoever. I've never been abusive towards any of my partners, have no criminal record, and my only illegal activity has been personal hallucinogenic drug and weed use - which for the record, is a large part of the reason why I'm capable of spotting my own narcissistic traits and avoiding falling into that particular brand of insanity. I'm even particularly left-wing because I understand that right-wing economic and social policy are, again, stupid short-term mindsets that have repeatedly hosed over our society and made it an increasingly awful place to live for everyone - including me.

Who are you to say that people should be imprisoned by default purely because they are different to you? Have you considered that applying the 'we should hold these people somewhere safe just in case they commit a crime' is repulsively lacking in any sort of empathy or respect for human rights whatsoever? Have you thought about previous situations in which human societies have applied that sort of logic and the results?

I appreciate that a large portion of the sociopathic population are dangerously unstable retards - but creating a situation in which the condition is so intensely stigmatized that it's impossible to speak out about it in almost any public sphere only worsens that situation and makes it even more difficult to stop/fix/help low-functioning sociopaths, who certainly are a complete social tumor.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Work Programme place I worked for refunded anything above 2 miles, but JCP was zilch. Our biggest gripe was with drivers, since we paid petrol on the shortest route and no parking.

Also,

Seaside Loafer posted:

I was breifly on a work programme thing after being out of work for 6 months and they made me go in there and use their poo poo computers once a week even after I explained to my 'advisor' (who was a complete oval office yes i used that word, its the only one that does the bastard justice) a zillion times how much more effective i could be looking for work with my own machince and my links etc. I found work shortly after on my own exactly how ive always done it with no help from that lot except misery. Actually wrote my MP a complaint letter and got a personal response. Gotta love that Caroline Lucas.

I'm sorry a man you called a oval office to his face didn't take your word that your interview technique and Letter/CV writing skills were flawless and your internet links only existed on your own machine.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Elfface posted:

I'm sorry a man you called a oval office to his face didn't take your word that your interview technique and Letter/CV writing skills were flawless and your internet links only existed on your own machine.

I don't think he called the guy a oval office to his face. Loafer's just noting that he used that word in his post with no regrets.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ukip-common-sense-tour-bus-collides-with-railway-station-roof-in-portsmouth-9298280.html

quote:

It’s hardly their most scandalous gaffe – but it’s at least fairly amusing.

UKIP’s ‘common sense’ tour bus collided with the roof of a Portsmouth railway station this morning.

Onlookers gathered and laughed as the campaign double-decker bus slammed into the station canopy as it attempted a u-turn.

The purple bus, which had the words ‘common sense’ plastered across its side, arrived at Portsmouth and Southsea railway station to greet party leader Nigel Farage.

But the driver encountered some difficulty as the bus attempted to exit the car park. The bus would not fit under the railway platform bridge, so its driver tried to make a u-turn.

Mr Farage is visiting the Hampshire city as part of his campaign tour for the forthcoming European election.

Both the railway canopy and the bus, which only had one passenger on board, suffered minor damage.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Phoon posted:

Rename Brussels Sprouts Churchill Sprouts
The only sprouts a patriotic Briton should eat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

But were the trains OK? :ohdear:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hahaha gently caress.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Just got my first UKIP leaflet. I live in a pretty solidly Labour white working class area so it's a bit of a concern that the leaflet looks really flashy and well done, much better than the low-quality stuff from the other parties around here.

Nigel Farage seems to think being in the EU damages "our patriotism".

Also, "The idea that 3m jobs would be risked by leaving the EU is just a big lie" apparently, such an insightful statement that they repeated the same line twice.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The REAL Racists: UKIP is the Only Party That Doesn't Discriminate Against Non-Whites

oh man, the comments.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Just got my first UKIP leaflet. I live in a pretty solidly Labour white working class area so it's a bit of a concern that the leaflet looks really flashy and well done, much better than the low-quality stuff from the other parties around here.

Nigel Farage seems to think being in the EU damages "our patriotism".

Also, "The idea that 3m jobs would be risked by leaving the EU is just a big lie" apparently, such an insightful statement that they repeated the same line twice.

They've set up a freepost address so you can return it at their expense:

UKIP FREEPOST
RLSU-HZBG-UBBG
Lexdrum House
Heathfield
Devon
TQ12 6UT

Sometimes the leaflets don't fit neatly into an envelope, and if this is the case for you I'd advise against folding it. Instead, simply cut it into twenty or thirty pieces, and send each in its own envelope.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Toot toot, British manufacturing would die unironically if we left the eu since it'd no longer be competative with German manufacturing firms because of border controls and the like. But no, it's all the eu's fault because reasons.

What I'm saying is smoke weed and hail satan because Britain is hosed anyway.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

A reminder that the phrase 'Anti-racist is code for anti-white' is part of a campaign by stormfront neo-nazis to try and enter the phrase in societial discourse. Thus you can assume anyone that uses that phrase is a neo-nazi.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Party Boat posted:

They've set up a freepost address so you can return it at their expense:

UKIP FREEPOST
RLSU-HZBG-UBBG
Lexdrum House
Heathfield
Devon
TQ12 6UT

Sometimes the leaflets don't fit neatly into an envelope, and if this is the case for you I'd advise against folding it. Instead, simply cut it into twenty or thirty pieces, and send each in its own envelope.

How is this going to help a single human being? This is just purely malicious, the fact that they're scumbags doesn't mean you can just declare them Nonhumans and begin a harassment campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Hmmm yes, this seems like a good thing for someone to spend £150k on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuLxiS8GFg

• Locked thread