Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh drat I hope it's not really that short. The other games usually took me about 60-70 hours my first time around, but I do take my sweet time doing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I can easily see 20-30 hours, thats how long the other games take if you dont rush through everything (and die a fuckton of times).

Eh, I would say 20-30 hours is how long it takes if you did rush through, with 40-60 being the average for a normal playthrough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tlarn posted:

I see I see; I wonder if this is because they had data that showed that people equip the Evil Eye rings a lot? I know those were some of my go-to rings for most anything I play as.

Its to create a more offensive game. Most people do giantdad greatsword greatshield builds in DS1/2, and as fun as those are, they can make some fights pretty drat trivial. Knowing you can take any hit on the chin, bait the attack, and then counterattack afterwards is just too drat safe for Dark Souls.

Dark Souls you should be terrified at every step you take into the unknown, knowing that death is just a second away.

So in Bloodborne they're pushing you offensive. Guns instead of magic or shields. Roll like a motherfucker instead of blocking. Active, reactive play instead of pre-emptive turtle defense.

So part of that is that enemies are going to loving hit you, and counter-hitting them gets some of that life back. It rewards you going toe-to-toe with an enemy, and also rewards you for sticking with a fight where you get hurt instead of just immediately rolling away, running, and using a flask.

Also key is that you only get life when you hit an enemy right after they hit you, there's a short period of life recuperation time. If you run away to hide, then the damage becomes permanent, but if you keep fighting through the pain you can un-do some of it. But then you're also putting yourself in a potentially dangerous position. Its a risk-reward mechanic and Dark Souls goes well with those.

I don't think it really has to do with ring of the evil eye. And do that many people even use evil eye? In DS1 I never felt like it healed for much, but I did use it a little bit. In DS2 I feel like I always had more estus than I needed, much less lifegems, so it wasn't an issue.

One major flaw in DS2 compared to DS1 is that sense of survival. In DS1 I felt like each bonfire was carefully placed so you'd have just enough estus to make it to the boss or the next bonfire, and you could upgrade a bonfire if you were having lots of trouble with a certain area, but it would only upgrade THAT bonfire alone.

In DS2 you just collect more and more estus throughout the whole game, to where it becomes infinite. DS2 you die because you didn't get a chance to use estus, not because you didn't have estus. In DS1 often I would go "oh poo poo, down to 2 estus, gotta get serious here" and you have that survival horror mechanic of limited resources.

I don't really prefer DeS consumables though honestly, that just gives you the potential to gently caress yourself by using all your items and then dying, and now you've gotta farm grass. Whoo :toot:

I think Dark Souls style of limited estus and no consumables (except maybe some precious humanity) was the sweet spot. (Even though I disagree with most of the people who say DS1 is flat better than DS2, they're both amazing in different ways)

poo poo that was a lot of :words:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 21, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Do they base that on first-time testers? Even if those testers are DeS/DS experienced it sounds off but as long as they don't do no soul memory poo poo I'm in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NESguerilla posted:

Oh drat I hope it's not really that short. The other games usually took me about 60-70 hours my first time around, but I do take my sweet time doing everything.

Souls games are ridiculously variable in playthroughs. My first run of DS1 and DS2 took probably 70 hours, all my subsequent characters I was at NG+ by like 20 hours tops?

I wouldn't worry too much.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I beat Dark Souls 1 in 35 hours and 2 in 40 so 20-30 hours is pretty all right with me. There's nothing wrong with a slightly shorter game since I'm gonna be replaying them a million times each.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I beat Dark Souls 1 in 35 hours and 2 in 40

Without guides? Did you get the right build from the start unlike everybody else?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Considering I play both games at some point every week, I doubt I'm misremembering or misrepresenting things. Don't speak for other people.

that doesnt mean you arent viewing one game with rose tinted glasses and feeling that the first one has better design and atmosphere because of the memories you formed first playing it ~

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

MrLonghair posted:

Without guides? Did you get the right build from the start unlike everybody else?

I got a Black Knight Sword my first runthrough and I understood the UI and design ideas since I played Demon's Souls. I didn't die to the Dragon Bridge, for example.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

like i also prefer DS1 and its world but not because its some how better, its just the one i played first and the most, and i can recognize that in many ways DS2 improved on the formula quite a lot

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

20-30 sounds about right, that means it'll take me 50-60 since I always go way over what other people say it takes them to beat games for some reason. I think it's because I'm dumb.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

MrLonghair posted:

After learning the basic concepts of Demon's Souls (or Dark Souls, if that was your starting point), the following games are not difficult to get through in that 30-40 hour range.

And I would wager most people don't restart partway through to get "the right build." I never did.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Stux posted:

that doesnt mean you arent viewing one game with rose tinted glasses and feeling that the first one has better design and atmosphere because of the memories you formed first playing it ~

I did say DS2 has a lot of improvements. Pretty much everything but the world & boss design was improved for the better.

If ~memories I formed~ was a thing, I'd be talking about Demon's Souls all the time seeing as I spent the most hours on that game by far, yet I think DS1 is the superior game.
Dark Souls 1 being considered the better of the two isn't even a radical or uncommon opinion and I don't know why you're so insistent on me having a particular view on both games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

20-30 sounds about right, that means it'll take me 50-60 since I always go way over what other people say it takes them to beat games for some reason. I think it's because I'm dumb.

It could also be if you like to make sure you explore everything and find all the secret items and weapons (me) or if you just like to spend a bunch of time doing pvp (me) or if you really like to co-op and help people beat bosses (me).

Dark Souls can take as long as you want it to. I have over a dozen characters in DS2 strung throughout the game, and most of them I'm probably not going to bother progressing much further. If I want to I can load them up and pvp or co-op in the area they're at forever.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I did say DS2 has a lot of improvements. Pretty much everything but the world & boss design was improved for the better.

If ~memories I formed~ was a thing, I'd be talking about Demon's Souls all the time seeing as I spent the most hours on that game by far, yet I think DS1 is the superior game.
Dark Souls 1 being considered the better of the two isn't even a radical or uncommon opinion and I don't know why you're so insistent on me having a particular view on both games.

dark souls 1 really set the theme and expectations for 2 with it being an open world however. and i know its not uncommon, but that doesnt make it wrong.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Dark Souls 2's biggest problem is that the combat is so drat good that it makes going back to DeS or DS1 feel like a huge downgrade, and I say that as someone who did multiple playthroughs of both games. Bloodborne might do the same thing for DS2 but given that they're aiming for a different style of combat (no shields, more aggro) I hope they'll compliment each other instead of overlapping.

The fact that SIns of the First Scholar is going to come out after Bloodborne will hopefully make the comparison between the two games more reasoned, since there'll be a reason to go back and play through DS2 again and people won't argue as much from the memory of their first playthrough/community consensus.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i want to shoot guys and turn swords into hammers

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
bethesda hosed up the TESO f2p and the ps4/xbone versions by releasing them on the same day bloodborne is being released

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I got a Black Knight Sword my first runthrough and I understood the UI and design ideas since I played Demon's Souls. I didn't die to the Dragon Bridge, for example.

Anyone else super disappointed Dark Souls II didn't have a dragon bridge? At least they look to be correcting that in SotFS.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i want to shoot guys and turn swords into hammers

same

I also want to fight the spider on top of the clock tower

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I hope that if the ability to modify your weapons with elemental abilities exists that the key to doing so isn't as obscure as it was in the previous souls games. Sure it's good to keep it from being open right out the gate, but having to find an ember or whatever in a hideyhole in buttfuck nowhere is a little obtuse imo.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Replaying DS1 I've been surprised at the amount of whimsical, goofy stuff in it. It's not a huge part of the game but it's noticeably more than the other two games. Seeing Siegmeyer's big dumb helmet bobbing up and down because he fell asleep in the dungeon, or knowing that there's a forest full of mushroom men and rollcats who could give a poo poo about my undead drama,helps flesh out the emotional feel of the game, to me.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think a good solution would be to put an elemental weapon somewhere well-hidden, so that players who discover it get a nice bonus that will eventually lessen in power compared to normal weapons and players who know the game well will have a premade fire weapon they can run to that they'll still need to find materials to upgrade.

I mean, imagine if you could have found a Fire Long Sword (like Demon's Souls's Dragon Long Sword) in the Catacombs or early in the Demon Ruins before Ceaseless? It would cut down on time spent getting to Vamos considerably and not upset the balance of the game.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

turtlecrunch posted:

There's a new Miyazaki BB interview but unfortunately it is in Greek. :shepface: I've been looking at the Google Translate but it seems to be just awful.

quote:

GW: As for the gameplay, you should expect features like those seen in Dark Souls; For example asynchronous multiplayer, covenants, PvP, etc .;
HM: The asynchronous multiplayer and PvP will be present in the Bloodborne.
Bringing back the DS2 netcode I guess.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

swamp waste posted:

Replaying DS1 I've been surprised at the amount of whimsical, goofy stuff in it. It's not a huge part of the game but it's noticeably more than the other two games. Seeing Siegmeyer's big dumb helmet bobbing up and down because he fell asleep in the dungeon, or knowing that there's a forest full of mushroom men and rollcats who could give a poo poo about my undead drama,helps flesh out the emotional feel of the game, to me.
DS has a lot of small comedic elements. Sen's is practically a slapstick factory, some of it scripted like the snakeman getting run over by a boulder the first time you approach the ramp that has Siegmeyer stuck.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Paracelsus posted:

DS has a lot of small comedic elements. Sen's is practically a slapstick factory, some of it scripted like the snakeman getting run over by a boulder the first time you approach the ramp that has Siegmeyer stuck.

The normal progression of Blightown, to Sen's, to Anor Londo where you go careful walking, extremely careful walking, to giant palisades with big enemies and fighting only to discover that you have to do a section where you're walking on 6-inch catwalks in a cathedral is I think the only time I've lolled at a video game and was a very good joke.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Paracelsus posted:

And who can forget the sleeping Snake man you can point a rolling boulder at to break down the wall behind him? I guess you can't truly have dark fantasy without a little bit of dark humor.

"If [my dad, Seigmeyer] goes Hollow, I'll just have to kill him again."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

dark souls 1 really set the theme and expectations for 2

Weird, wonder why

Paracelsus posted:

Frampt will pay a premium for womens' clothes and turds, his preferred lunches.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I hope that if the ability to modify your weapons with elemental abilities exists that the key to doing so isn't as obscure as it was in the previous souls games. Sure it's good to keep it from being open right out the gate, but having to find an ember or whatever in a hideyhole in buttfuck nowhere is a little obtuse imo.

Yeah the dull ember in DS2 feels like a huuuuuuuuge oversight. Like they didn't know what to do, so they just dropped it in Iron Keep last minute. (And in a fairly funny place for such an important item. Good location for a secret item, bad location for something EVERYBODY needs)

They should have just let McDuff do it from the start, or had you get the dull ember as a bonus for killing the Iron King at least, or something.

On the other hand getting the different embers in DS1 for different advancements and having to find different smiths for different functions was actually pretty drat cool. Although some smiths were loving annoying to get to, but then again making you sneak through dungeons to talk to a certain NPC is kinda loving cool.

swamp waste posted:

I wouldn't actually call those things goofy, though. You're just in some goofy mindset.

The cats are actually pretty drat intimidating :stare: They've got weird loving proportions too. Those mouths :stonk: Its pretty horror to me.

Mushroom people, again on paper 'mushroom people' sounds like la-la fairy times, but the Dark Souls mushroom dudes are still pretty intimidating. I guess they're probably the least intimidating enemies in the game, but when you have things like gaping dragon the 'least scary monster' doesn't mean 'not scary at all'.

:shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 21, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I dunno, I think they messed up a bunch of other things too. For instance, Agility is a terrible, terrible idea. Why should the player need to invest skill points to get a dodge roll that feels good?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brackhar posted:

I dunno, I think they messed up a bunch of other things too. For instance, Agility is a terrible, terrible idea. Why should the player need to invest skill points to get a dodge roll that feels good?

So you have to commit more to blocking with shields or rolling under attacks instead of just one-size-fits-all?

It didn't really work out in practice, yeah. But I can kinda see what they were going for.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

swamp waste posted:

Yea, the DLC especially clarified that Dark Souls takes place in a post-apocalyptic version of what could be called a whimsical fantasy land, although not one without its political strife. It's a bunch of cities layer-caked on top of a giant mythical tree. Go to the past and the first thing that happens is a kindly old mushroom gives you a quest

Miyazaki's a creative dude, dude.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Bringing back the DS2 netcode I guess.

namco bandai is not providing the server infrastructure for this game, we can rest easy

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
You visit the mushroom kingdom to save a princess. Genius.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

namco bandai is not providing the server infrastructure for this game, we can rest easy
That's not going to change anything. The matchmaking servers are hosted via Amazon EC2 by FROM, not Bamco. That style of matchmaking server was used for both Demon's and Dark II (Demon's was over HTTP, Dark II was custom protocol). Dark II's was a massive improvement over Demon's server handling.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Look, something to talk about that's not Dark Souls!

Can't tell if those are actual PS4s or just the faceplate things though.

A different shot:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
God I hope that's not a bundle, because I caved and bought a ps4 on black friday when a bunch of goons told me "there's never going to be a bloodborne bundle, just buy a ps4 now". I have a total of one ps4 game.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It'll almost definitely be a bundle, but only in Japan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

God I hope that's not a bundle, because I caved and bought a ps4 on black friday when a bunch of goons told me "there's never going to be a bloodborne bundle, just buy a ps4 now". I have a total of one ps4 game.

Assuming you got a decent deal (and/or hocked the included game(s) on Ebay like I did) getting a Black Friday bundle an then purchasing Bloodborne separate will still probably end up being the better deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I bought a boxing day ps4, and while that would have been a cool thing, I got a sweet deal and have no regrets...

But a white BB ps4 is pretty :krad:

• Locked thread