Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Goons loving loved Jameis before the rape accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It would be cool if KC can get out if the first two rounds with DGB and Lockett

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PrinceRandom posted:

Goons loving loved Jameis before the rape accusations.

He allegedly raped a girl early in the season he undefeated and won the national championship. So for what, like... a month, two?

He has since gone on an unrepentant stupidity spree that can only be described as "Bieberesque."

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Chilichimp posted:

He allegedly raped a girl the same year he went undefeated and won the national championship. So for what, like... a month, two?

It didn't go public until months afterwards iirc

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

It didn't go public until months afterwards iirc

It was public knowledge the last few weeks of the season, for sure, but after the Heisman vote!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pron on VHS posted:

It would be cool if KC can get out if the first two rounds with DGB and Lockett

Lockett yes. DGB no. I'm burnt out on players with off field problems.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strobe posted:

Lockett yes. DGB no. I'm burnt out on players with off field problems.

Only take weed guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Only take weed guys.

I think you already know this but just in case, if DGB was only a weed guy every fan in the world would want to take him from about 5 on down.

Although he could easily Josh Gordon himself out of the league pretty quickly.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I think you already know this but just in case, if DGB was only a weed guy every fan in the world would want to take him from about 5 on down.

Although he could easily Josh Gordon himself out of the league pretty quickly.

You mean Ray Rice

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He might do both at the same time!

Whoever drafts him should be very excited and very worried at the same time. Or just mad. I don't know which is right.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

No Butt Stuff posted:

You mean Ray Rice

No, he means Josh Gordon.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Grittybeard posted:

He might do both at the same time!

Whoever drafts him should be very excited and very worried at the same time. Or just mad. I don't know which is right.

I would lean towards furious, personally. Also, even if KC did take him, he'd bust right out of there in like two minutes so

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

I would lean towards furious, personally. Also, even if KC did take him, he'd bust right out of there in like two minutes so

He'd make Jon Baldwin look like AJ Jenkins!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Judging a person's character is pretty tough considering none of us personally know DGB and everything you read about him comes from the media. For instance, I think Josh Gordon gets a terrible rap from media outlets and isn't nearly the drug addicted booze hound they make him out to be. He's simply suffering under a Draconian substance abuse policy in the NFL

If you look at the tape anyone who drafts DGB should be pretty happy because they landed a high quality, insanely athletic receiver. If he busts out because he smokes pot then he busts out, people have busted out for dumber reasons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Judging a person's character is pretty tough considering none of us personally know DGB and everything you read about him comes from the media. For instance, I think Josh Gordon gets a terrible rap from media outlets and isn't nearly the drug addicted booze hound they make him out to be. He's simply suffering under a Draconian substance abuse policy in the NFL

If you look at the tape anyone who drafts DGB should be pretty happy because they landed a high quality, insanely athletic receiver. If he busts out because he smokes pot then he busts out, people have busted out for dumber reasons.

I want him in Seahawk puke green.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Doltos posted:

I'm from the town DGB went to high school, and I'm friends with someone who's in his social circle. Everything I've been told points to DGB being really dumb, with bad influences everywhere. Obviously I'm just a guy on the internet so take it for what it's worth, but I was rooting for him early on, and at this point I'd have really low expectations if my team picked him up. If he get's everything together he's a corner piece but it's a big if.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DGB is obviously insanely athletic and huge but his body-catching and route-running are about what you'd expect from someone who just picked up the game. There's a pretty decent chance he never develops those.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Careful, you're going to attract a bunch of people who don't think Gordon has given them the contrition he owes them

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's Charlie Campbell of Walter Football though so likely made up.

quote:

We heard in January that the front office preferred Winston, and the Buccaneers have graded him ahead of other quarterbacks like Cam Newton and Matthew Stafford when they came out of Auburn and Georgia respectively. Yasinskas reported that Smith and the coaching staff with new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter also favor Winston.

Judging by the comments of sources in Tampa Bay, at other teams, and in the local media, the organization is coalescing around Winston. Sources say that Winston has an impressive football I.Q., so that part of the interviews should go well for him. If Winston handles himself well and avoids trouble before the draft, he looks bound for Tampa Bay. Ownership is on board with Winston being the leader of the Bucs' ship.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Off-field problems aside, I really want DGB as a Seahawk. Seattle picked Bruce Irvin at 15 and he had off-field problems so I don't see them shying away from it. If Marcus Peters is projected to go in the mid to late 20s, I can easily see them grabbing him at 31. But Seattle's drafting under the PC/JS regime as always surprised me because they've never picked who I thought they would. There's a very high chance they trade their #31 pick too.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Ozu posted:

There will absolutely be articles written about Lovie's leadership steering Winston to the right path.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

seiferguy posted:

Off-field problems aside, I really want DGB as a Seahawk. Seattle picked Bruce Irvin at 15 and he had off-field problems so I don't see them shying away from it. If Marcus Peters is projected to go in the mid to late 20s, I can easily see them grabbing him at 31. But Seattle's drafting under the PC/JS regime as always surprised me because they've never picked who I thought they would. There's a very high chance they trade their #31 pick too.

Seattle's drafting under Carroll and Schneider has been really interesting to me. Some questionable picks that haven't really ended up terrific in round 1 then just kicking rear end in later rounds.

E: Jesus their first draft was ridiculous especially at the top

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 17, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dattserberg posted:

Seattle's drafting under Carroll and Schneider has been really interesting to me. Some questionable picks that haven't really ended up terrific in round 1 then just kicking rear end in later rounds.

E: Jesus their first draft was ridiculous especially at the top

Earl Thomas was our last good first round pick. :cripes:

Edit
Obviously my team is good and Thomas is outstanding. I just think it is hilarious that we have gone almost five years without a real hit in the first. That'd be a death sentence for a lot of GMs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle's 2013 draft actually so far has been pretty bad for results. So far, Luke Willson, Jordan Hill and to a lesser extent Tharold Simon have been the regular contributors to the team, and they're hardly stand-out players. Christine Michael being the first pick so far has been not worth the pick (which is not entirely his fault being he's been blocked by Lynch). It's funny because that was the draft leading up to their SB win.

Their 2010 and 2012 drafts were amazing, though. Most of the players on that draft that ended up getting released by the Seahawks now play for other teams.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ozu posted:

Campbell is actually connected to the Bucs pretty well from his time covering the team. I'd tend to believe things he writes over others.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

No Butt Stuff posted:

He'd make Jon Baldwin look like AJ Jenkins!

It's also worth noting he would not get any catches regardless

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

Campbell is actually connected to the Bucs pretty well from his time covering the team. I'd tend to believe things he writes over others.

Plus this is what every beat writer in Tampa has been saying. Essentially if nothing new comes out about Winston and he doesn't completely gently caress it up the Bucs will take him. I suppose there's an outside chance they go defense if someone completely wows them.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Plus this is what every beat writer in Tampa has been saying. Essentially if nothing new comes out about Winston and he doesn't completely gently caress it up the Bucs will take him. I suppose there's an outside chance they go defense if someone completely wows them.

And from these sources it sounds like Glazers have signed off on Winston and they want a QB.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

DGB is obviously insanely athletic and huge but his body-catching and route-running are about what you'd expect from someone who just picked up the game. There's a pretty decent chance he never develops those.

Yeah the route-running is what scares me the most since the NFL is all about precise routes. That's the stuff prospects really should be judged for (ignoring the fact that I brought up DGB's criminal history in the first post I made in this thread). ESPN was running typical "Is Mariota too soft to be a leader?" bullshit today and some Fox Sports talking head said he wouldn't take Winston in the 6th round. Opinions like these should be shot down immediately in favor of actual game tape, like Mariota's flick release that leads to inaccurate passes or Winston's weird hitch at the top of his throw which causes him to overthrow or dirtball his receivers a lot.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

wandler20 posted:

And from these sources it sounds like Glazers have signed off on Winston and they want a QB.

Wooo

Although Glennon isn't completely loving terrible I guess

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Doltos posted:

It's a fine excuse the first 3 times you get in trouble, but when you sign a contract that says explicitly "don't do this poo poo" and you do it anyways, You probably have some problems somewhere.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
He didn't know that no drinking was part of his probation for the weed. Does he have the worst agent in the history of agents to not tell him hey no nothing ever, never ever. He probably just gives no poo poo and or is incapable of self control.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He knew he wasn't supposed to drink until the season was over, he didn't know that included the playoffs because what would a Browns player know about the playoffs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I have never heard of Carl Davis but I'd be happy with a DT or pretty much anyone that isn't Melvin Gordon in the first round.

From a ways back but since it's an intersection of my college team and pro team:

He a huge (6-5 320 or so) and very athletic dude who never really gave consistent effort and had trouble with technique (he'd get lazy with his pad level, so he'd get blown off the ball way more than he should have) until his senior year, when he finally put it together and was one of the best d-linemen in the Big Ten. When he's on he borders on unblockable. He was getting some first round love here and there before the season, but was mostly pegged as a project guy to look at in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Then he had a really good year and absolutely dominated everyone at the senior bowl in 1 on 1 drills, so he's starting to blow up and almost everyone seems to have him in the late first. It's kinda hard to know what to think of him as a prospect because he ran so hot and cold his first three years, but at his best he's a really disruptive DT. People want to peg him as a space eater because of his size, but he's really at his best when he's using his quickness and get into the backfield and wreck havoc. Dallas has a huge need on the d-line so I wouldn't mind it. I would prefer a DE, but he can be a really good pass rushing DT.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Its easy to say don't drink or don't smoke weed but we're not in those peoples' shoes.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

Gordon comes across as not a total dumbass in this, or at least not as dumb as he's painted to be. I also believe it's easy to say "don't do it because it's part of the contract", but alcohol being tied to marijuana tests, and the marijuana test's incredibly low threshhold, is just plain outdated or idiotic. I'd bet if they did a league-wide drug test tomorrow in the NFL that most of the players would test positive for marijuana, and some of the front office folks too. The drug test system in the NFL only serves to bust the unlucky.

But regardless of your stance on is he a dumbass or not, I believe that if you draft a player like Gordon and he performs as well as Gordon for the 1 or 2 years he manages to keep his nose clean, then that's a pretty good investment. Supplemental picks or freefalling league policy violators in the draft are goldmines for teams that really need some quality talent to get over the playoff hump. I see no difference between a guy performing well initially then busting when the league figures out how to deal with him and a guy who performs well then busting because he gets kicked out of the league for drug abuse. It's like a walk being as good as a single.

Moneyballing the draft

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Gordon was a second-round pick who put up the best receiving stats in the league for one season then sat on his rear end for 28 of the next 32 games. Obviously the Browns didn't happen to be good when Gordon was good, but then again it would have been pretty remarkable luck for any team to align its playoff run with the tiny window of Good Josh Gordon we saw. I don't think that's moneyballing anything, that's being a bad player and a wasted pick.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

I'm with them on that second one but god I don't want Winston to be on my pro team straight from my college team. I'm tired of watching him be an idiot. I think he'd be solid in the NFL especially under Koetter but there's not a chance in hell he avoids causing media poo poo storms.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think the concern with DGB is less smoking pot and more about throwing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. Given you had three star players (a few more lesser known, but still impactful players) miss an entire season from domestic violence issues, that is going to be the bigger red flag, as it should be.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

swickles posted:

I think the concern with DGB is less smoking pot and more about throwing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. Given you had three star players (a few more lesser known, but still impactful players) miss an entire season from domestic violence issues, that is going to be the bigger red flag, as it should be.
I thought he pushed another girl (roommate) down the stairs because she got in the way of him trying to drag his girlfriend out of her apartment by her throat. Something like that. Crazy lovebirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

football fuckerman posted:

Gordon was a second-round pick who put up the best receiving stats in the league for one season then sat on his rear end for 28 of the next 32 games. Obviously the Browns didn't happen to be good when Gordon was good, but then again it would have been pretty remarkable luck for any team to align its playoff run with the tiny window of Good Josh Gordon we saw. I don't think that's moneyballing anything, that's being a bad player and a wasted pick.

It was in the supplemental draft which meant it would be a bit harder for a playoff team to land him but if he entered the normal draft it would have been totally realistic. Plenty of players drop all the time for drug related incidents and can fall right into the laps of later picking, high quality teams. Gordon also produced two quality years that would make any playoff team salivate over having him. 805 yards and 5 tds then 1600 yards and 9 tds with those QBs throwing him passes? C'mon.

That is absolutely 100% worth at least a late first early second. You know how many late firsts early seconds never do jack squat in the league, let alone 'only' lead the league in receiving for one season?

• Locked thread