Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
We still posting great Japanese music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQc-2bBmdfw

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hailthefish posted:

I'm sure there's normal people leading normal lives just about everywhere, including Japan, they're just much less interesting to post about on the internet.

I guess if there's anything to take away from my stay in Japan it was pretty much this. Out of the hundreds of students I had only one would even come close to being seen as an Otaku, and his nerdiness was more adorable than anything. Hell, if anything, I knew more students who might be seen as Otaku except their hobbies were unique and could actually be interesting to talk about or show off, like building small, detailed models of NASA rockets or things like that. Honestly, unless your day-to-day required going through Akihabara or somewhere similar, you really did have to go out of your way to find the weird.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Remulak posted:

We still posting great Japanese music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQc-2bBmdfw

sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KamGl_5ick

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

icantfindaname posted:

isn't superflat/murakami the dude who does all the loli/paedo poo poo "ironically"?

I remember that name. It's apparently okay if you call it "postmodernism". I read some stuff about it in university, Murakami was mentioned: Two pieces that went together, one of an anime girl squirting milk and using it as a skipping rope. The other was an anime dude with a lasso made from jizz.

:nws: http://zupton.com/xoxoxo/murakami/images/my-lonesome2.jpg :nws:

But it's allright this time because it's ironic. :stonklol: This guy could just print and frame goatse and sell it to museums.

Luckily it's not all perverted crap, but also the colourful happy stuff Humboldt Squid posted earlier.

Postmodernism is a meaningless term used to refer to whatever those hip kids are up to nowadays. :corsair: Cory Doctorow's writing style where he's constantly name-dropping brands, people and places was also listed as an example. For a Japanese example, the movie Tampopo was used, I watched it, it was pretty amusing but you should keep some food around when you watch it, this movie will make you very hungry. It was directed in a style that seemed a bit too desperate to keep your attention, constantly shifting between storylines and unrelated anecdotes. It was all food-themed.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oh come on, did anyone actually read Murakami?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

wrong Murakami

it's this guy, not this guy

dude even looks like a kiddy fiddler, greasy ponytail and all

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
pretty much anyone with round glasses is a confirmed kiddy diddler

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

this is good

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Comment on this video:

Brilliant music making-Japanese culture is among the richest in the world and to the foul mouthed idiot who referred to this performance as 'a song' when there is no singing in it whatsoever I suggest you go and take your nourishment from your nikki minaj songs and the like.

lmao

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Speaking of that, here's a traditional Japanese performance of some video game music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qouFhFz72oM

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

All those bentos and you skipped :nws:http://i.imgur.com/HUQ32Zw.jpg:nws:?

What a poo poo bento. Literally just rice and a hot dog.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JaucheCharly posted:

I've read a lot of his books, and got 1Q84 for Christmas.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Japan's answer to Edward Gorey?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This thread is making me really upset that there's nowhere I can walk/bike too that sells good sushi. There are some decent Japanese diners in town but nowhere I can go to just grab some as a light lunch or something.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Currently KFC and McD's are not serving fries because of a labor dispute of some sort in the US, or at least they weren't until recently.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

You could probably just make a thread about the to-us weird poo poo they do at McDonalds in Japan.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
So has anyone actually eaten one of those weird dyed black burgers over there? Does the squid ink give it a different kind of flavor or is it pretty much the same as a regular burger?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Squid Ink just seems to me to make things more salty. And black. Things your mcdonalds meal needs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
how is everyone in japan not fat

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Humboldt Squid posted:

Is divorce still a huge taboo? I had a japanese art professor in her 50s that broke down in class explaining how she was disowned by her family for divorcing her abusive husband.
In my experience, no. A friend divorced their abusive husband and they have the full support of their family/friends. - Sometimes families are just shitheads, doesn't matter what country/culture.

univbee posted:

Honestly, unless your day-to-day required going through Akihabara or somewhere similar, you really did have to go out of your way to find the weird.
I agree with this.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 10, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pick posted:

probably because japan has a more seafood focused diet overall.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

etalian posted:

probably because japan has a more seafood focused diet overall.

This, and rice is a big part of it which fills you up. Also everything's all portion controlled on its own tiny plates, so you don't just get American Portions (tm).

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pick posted:

seafood focused, rice fills you up, portions are small, more people walk and care about their health in general, etc etc

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The times when they go to a burger joint and inhale 5000 calories of garbage in a single sitting are the rare exceptions to the rule, I guess?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Japanese food portions are just right. America food portions should be illegal.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

hailthefish posted:

The times when they go to a burger joint and inhale 5000 calories of garbage in a single sitting are the rare exceptions to the rule, I guess?

There's always time for fatty yakisoba bread but you generally walk everywhere and get shame cultured into looking thin :tinfoil:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I really want one of those black hot dogs

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
enough about how you want to suck down big black wieners... the homo thread is in e/n

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

enough about how you want to suck down big black wieners... the homo thread is in e/n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggMBKFnYJQ

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hailthefish posted:

That or you're sharing it

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

frank yang is good but hes not japanese

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

JaucheCharly posted:

There are several Murakami's, even within their modern literary sphere. There's a difference between Ryu Murakami and Haruki Murakami.

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah this is about right.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Mystery Opponent posted:

A giant freaking spider at roppongi hills

This is by Louise Borgeois, a French-American artist. She has them all over the world. She was awesome. The more you know.

Some of my pics from Japan:

Advanced toilet technology

Bento from the train station

A whole floor of Moomin stuff at the department store

Drunk guy at the cherry blossom viewing

Miyajima Island

More Miyajima

Monkeys of death

I'm not staring at your eyes I promise!

Some kind of crazy fire god

A shinto wedding

:gonk:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2n-bBR0NPo

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Lowly posted:

Advanced toilet technology

The better ones come with a dryer and talk to you.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CannonFodder posted:

Letting people lick weird moles for money as a business model is in the "superpowers" category, right?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ahah, don't mind if I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Shower?! :psyduck:

• Locked thread