Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is an incredibly brief summary, because I don't remember any of the details nor are they important, I guess.

It isn't so much a bad and good ending, but a good and "perfect" ending.

The good ending has Yuna accepting the loss of Tidus, as well as how much the world has changed, and deciding to move on with her life.

The perfect ending requires you to get 100% completion, which has some really stupid requirements attached to it (like listening to old man Micah without interrupting him, and pressing X during a cutscene to hear a whistle noise when no other cutscene has even so much as hinted at asking for such a thing). The fayth basically say to Yuna "we're gonna bring back Tidus because reasons" and he suddenly appears on the beach in Besaid, and Yuna learns nothing.

Well, consider my curiosity sated. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Listening to Maechen is no problem at all. Completely serious here when I say I enjoyed all his stories in both games. And, really, it's your own drat fault if you are going for story completion and you skip over the guy who's main function is to tell you the story.

The real bullshit lies in the aforementioned whistling or finding Yuna in the Moogle suit at the start of the game (very loving easy to miss) and assorted other very minor things that will screw you over very easily. I've tried for 100% multiple times and failed each time.

But you don't need 100% to get the Good Ending. Full completion gets you about a two minute thing of extra dialog after the credits I think. That is the "Perfect" Ending and it is total garbage.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ciaphas posted:

Having played X but not X-2, could you spoil the two endings for me, please? I'm curious what would make a "bad" ending better than the "good" one.

(edit) On a side note, have any games before XIV had you beating the living hell out of some moogles?

There's a few endings to X-2 actually.
I'll just copy the summaries from the wikia:

:airquote:Bad ending:airquote: posted:

The player gets a scene where Tidus's spirit embraces Yuna, Yuna says that she loves him, and that he will always be a part of her. Tidus's spirit then disperses into pyreflies and disappears.

Good ending posted:

Bahamut's fayth appears in the glen asking Yuna if she wants to see Tidus again.

If the player answers negatively to the fayth's question, Yuna says Tidus is already with her and walks away from the glen. The ending plays as normal, and Tidus does not return, but the player gets an extra scene after the credits where two monkeys sit in the sunset in Zanarkand.

:airquote:Best ending:airquote: posted:

If answered positively, Tidus will return at the end of the game and reunite with Yuna. If the player achieves 100% completion, and Yuna tells the fayth she wants to see Tidus again, there is an extra secret ending where Tidus and Yuna travel to Zanarkand together with the reassurance that this time, he won't disappear.

I prefer the "lesser" endings, where it seems that the story was more about Yuna's self discovery, and character growth, rather than the "Please bring back my dream husband, thank you", even if that was what prompted her to start her journey.

[e]: Beaten like a blitzball.
[e2]: My mistake then, I was too lazy to double check.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 28, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's a few endings to X-2 actually.
I'll just copy the summerines from the wikia:

I prefer the "lesser" endings, where it seems that the story was more about Yuna's self discovery, and character growth, rather than the "Please bring back my dream husband, thank you", even if that was what prompted her to start her journey.

[e]: Beaten like a blitzball.

These are all incorrect.

The "bad" ending is basically as written, but the "good" ending happens if you answer in the affirmative to Bahamut's question, which triggers a big flashy CG scene of Yuna running to Tidus on the beach. This can happen regardless of your completion percentage.

The "perfect" ending is the one that requires 100%, and consists of Yuna and Tidus in Zanarkand, with plain in-game graphics, as Tidus ruminates on the nature of his existence. Then Yuna shoves him off a cliff. I kid, it's only like five feet tall. Still, she crazy.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I think the reason why XIII was so bad is because they broke the tradition of "even numbered games are played straight and odd numbered games are silly" that's been going since IV.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Except that VI was pretty damned silly whereas VII was kinda overly serious. Not much of a pattern if it gets broken basically immediately.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

Except that VI was pretty damned silly whereas VII was kinda overly serious. Not much of a pattern if it gets broken basically immediately.

You need to replay both those games.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dragonatrix posted:

IT'S THE ONLY WAY.
---

All the games are fairly goofy and serious in their own ways. The only one that was pretty much dead straight all the way through was FFII...and even then you talk to beavers.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is an incredibly brief summary, because I don't remember any of the details nor are they important, I guess.

It isn't so much a bad and good ending, but a good and "perfect" ending.

From my point of view that is very much a good ending and a bad ending. It's an even worse ending for Tidus since it basically robs him of any significance from the first game. He's not a living dream who willingly embraced oblivion for the sake of a world that was never his and the woman he loved, he's just a dull generic shonen hero for Yuna to latch onto.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the other hand, XIII kept the pattern of every third game being "the big one."

I > IV > VII(the biggest) > X > XIII

Whatever we might think of XIII's quality, it is popular in a way that XII never quite managed. And of course VIII and IX have nothing oN X's staying power with VIII's great sales being nothing more than it riding VII's success.

VI can be argued to be a big thing but I'm pretty sure that's only in the West.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Re: VI being serious, I get that Kefka's madness is played for laughs a couple times but mostly it makes him menacing. Halfway through the game he accomplishes the thing you spend every other game trying to prevent.

NikkolasKing posted:

On theotherhand, XIII kept the pattern of every third game being "the big one."

I > IV > VII(the biggest) > X > XIII

Whatever we might think of XIII's quality, it is popular in a way that XII never quite managed. And of course VIII and IX have nothing oN X's staying power with VIII's great sales being nothing more than it riding VII's success.

VI can be argued to be a big thing but I'm pretty sure that's only in the West.

You listed each one that was a great leap forward in tech because it was the first release on a new platform. XIII is unique in that it is the only main series game (not including sequels) to have a platform all to itself.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There is no point in trying to analyze which games are more serious than the others. What Pesky Splinter said is true.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

XIII takes itself pretty seriously. Remember MOMS ARR TOUGH and YOUR NAME IS HOPE YOU GIVE US HOPE?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

XIII takes itself pretty seriously. Remember MOMS ARR TOUGH and YOUR NAME IS HOPE YOU GIVE US HOPE?

And then you go bowling with robots while on a bigger robot, the game has flanitors, and there is a man with a baby chocobo in his afro for the entire game. And then 13-2 happens and a 12 year old school teacher lectures tiny flans and scares them and you can spike a moogle into the ground on a whim.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Apart from everything Sazh and the running gag of Snow ineffectually trying to attack Barthandalus, I don't remember any humor in XIII.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The core plot stuff tends to be fairly serious but everything around it tends to be pretty goofy and silly, this is definitely the case with both VI and VII.

Which reminds me that I've been playing the Dragon Quest games (I - VI so far) and while they're good, actually having a core plot would be a nice change of pace at this point. It's all like a really long series of sidequests where you save a million generic towns and kingdoms from whatever problem they happen to have and eventually stumble into beating the villain. Maybe I'm just getting too old for the whole "adventuring for adventuring's sake" deal.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

chumbler posted:

And then you go bowling with robots while on a bigger robot, the game has flanitors, and there is a man with a baby chocobo in his afro for the entire game. And then 13-2 happens and a 12 year old school teacher lectures tiny flans and scares them and you can spike a moogle into the ground on a whim.

Thank you for reminding me the two jokes they told in FF13 were just as bad as when they were serious. The funniest thing about 13 (that Snow and Serah look like a man with a child-bride) is apparently not something anyone making the game ever noticed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Apart from everything Sazh and the running gag of Snow ineffectually trying to attack Barthandalus, I don't remember any humor in XIII.

I remember a lot of seemingly unintentional humour - like being in the middle of this futuristic and fantastical world, ruled by robot gods...and then suddenly we have this kitchen-sink drama about Lightning's reservations about her sister marrying Snow, while at her birthday party. And then back to robo-gods.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 28, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
FFXIII's attempts as humor just felt so weirdly token and sterile. I guess less than stellar translation helps with that, although I'm guessing the game wasn't a laugh riot in Japanese. There's weird, (intentionally) funny elements in the game, like the monsters and the choco-fro, but the actual script is so humorless. And when there is humor it's so out of place and almost unnerving. I don't even remember the scene, but there is one towards the end of the game which ends with the cast having a sitcom style laughfest and feels like a loving horror movie.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is a lot of incidental humor in FFXIII especially when following Sazh and Vanille, Lightning's deadpan reactions to Snow being a loving loser are also meant to be humorous even if it supposed to be somewhat important back story. To say XIII is absent of significant humor is to say FFVI is deadly serious all of the time. That's not even mentioning 13-2 which turns up the self-aware factor even more and includes the goofiest optional bosses this side of Disgaea. Also let us not forget the hilarity that was dropping us into the Indy 500 at Eden for no loving reason, I laughed a good bit at that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh guys, aren't we forgetting the most absolutely hi-larious moment in the game? The Color gag on the Palamecia. Because, ya know, security color jokes weren't out-of-fashion by 2009. And they weren't out-of-place at one of the most pivotal and genuinely atmospheric moments in the game.

Wait, wait, I forgot an actually funny moment. It might in fact also be the single greatest moment in the game for me.

"Why don't you leave, Jihl. Or rather, take your leave."

And thus died Jihl Nabaat, a sort-of important character, killed off in about 1 second and never to be mentioned again. A fitting death for a character that was amazingly bad even by XIII standards. I salute you, Robo-Pope.

E:
FFXHD Soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLldNgdLVBzhJWkMcKMwFFLr3wt81f_o4I

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 28, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Camel Pimp posted:

FFXIII's attempts as humor just felt so weirdly token and sterile. I guess less than stellar translation helps with that, although I'm guessing the game wasn't a laugh riot in Japanese. There's weird, (intentionally) funny elements in the game, like the monsters and the choco-fro, but the actual script is so humorless. And when there is humor it's so out of place and almost unnerving. I don't even remember the scene, but there is one towards the end of the game which ends with the cast having a sitcom style laughfest and feels like a loving horror movie.

It's a lot like the Star Wars prequels in that way, I think. The comedy moments in those are just jarring and unnerving because the main story is so incredibly dour and super-serious.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Most Final Fantasy's writing/translation/characterization is so loving atrocious that being unintentionally hilarious is its only saving grace. Most attempts at being whacky and humorous usually turn kinda sad and confusing... see the entirety of FF X-2. There's plenty story bits to love, but it's not... good.

Speaking of not good: cutscenes in the FF-X HD remake aren't skippable? Well, too bad, Squeenix. You're not getting my money now. This is bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXII knew how to do humor. Like at the end of the Viera village when Vaan asks Fran how old she is. Dead silence from her before she just stalks away and everyone else also leaves him while simultaneously commenting on how terrible he is.

The little things like that or Vaan going around being CAPTAIN BASCH were great. XII didn't indulge in too much whackiness after a fashion but when it did use it, it didn't break my immersion like the Color stuff in XIII or Hope loving robots.

e:
You know what would have been cool for XHD? If they removed the Auto-Life for the final aeon battles. They are the aeons you trained so hard with remember. You could essentially make your own challenge, your own boss. Give them all great stats andskills and etc.. It be interesting I think.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2013

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

I have to say, a lot of the tracks sound much better (for example: Tidus' Theme) but some of the choices/changes in the instruments baffle me. The Battle theme was not one of my favorite of the series, but the remaster somehow makes it even more grating.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just grabbed Lost Odyssey for a couple of quid in the boxing day sales. This is basically an FF game without the branding, yes?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't much care for the new battle theme either. haven't liked it ever since I first saw it in trailers.

A kind of random song I always liked and I felt was improved was Seymour's Ambition.

On the other hand, I absolutely cannot stand the new Seymour Battle. Makes me think of the Black Mages version and that is easily one of their worst songs. The original really was perfect as it was
Original
HDRemaster
Black Mages

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Just grabbed Lost Odyssey for a couple of quid in the boxing day sales. This is basically an FF game without the branding, yes?

Yes, although it does some interesting bits with the formation aspects of the party, the leveling system is tuned to massively cut down on the guesswork for leveling, and the first boss of the game is by far the hardest. Also at the first available chance you get to stock up on items that deal earth damage buy as many as you can get your grubby hands on. There is a boss later on who assuming you dumped the child characters into the "NEVER USE" pile ASAP will be very difficult without it thanks to a nasty anti-magic trick it pulls.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Oxxidation posted:

These are all incorrect.

The "bad" ending is basically as written, but the "good" ending happens if you answer in the affirmative to Bahamut's question, which triggers a big flashy CG scene of Yuna running to Tidus on the beach. This can happen regardless of your completion percentage.

The "perfect" ending is the one that requires 100%, and consists of Yuna and Tidus in Zanarkand, with plain in-game graphics, as Tidus ruminates on the nature of his existence. Then Yuna shoves him off a cliff. I kid, it's only like five feet tall. Still, she crazy.

Almost. In order for the "Good" ending to trigger you are required to Press Square to whistle during that dumb cutscenes where it doesn't even hint that you can even do this
Otherwise percentage does nothing unless you get 100%

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

NikkolasKing posted:

On the other hand, I absolutely cannot stand the new Seymour Battle.

Yeah. I don't know how stoned you have to be to think taking out the percussion from Seymour Battle is a good idea,

but I get the feeling you'd look like this.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Pesky Splinter posted:

All the games are fairly goofy and serious in their own ways. The only one that was pretty much dead straight all the way through was FFII...and even then you talk to beavers.
And it introduced chocobos. Final Fantasy: Every game is the most silly and every game is the most serious. Even the shortest games are pretty long; it's impossible for them to be "one thing". Even if they could, it'd be really tiring either way.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't much care for the new battle theme either. haven't liked it ever since I first saw it in trailers.

A kind of random song I always liked and I felt was improved was Seymour's Ambition.

On the other hand, I absolutely cannot stand the new Seymour Battle. Makes me think of the Black Mages version and that is easily one of their worst songs. The original really was perfect as it was
Original
HDRemaster
Black Mages

I'm having mixed feelings about a lot of the remastered songs. The changes aren't bad per se and I feel like had I heard them first, I'd be fine with them, but comparing them to the originals...makes it harder to like them as much. A lot of them feel like they were changed because they were remastering the soundtrack and aren't better for it.

E: and they literally just threw in the Piano Collections version of Via Purifico.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Quite a mixed bag in there.

Some are improvements. Some aren't. Agreeing with ShadeofDante that some of the changes are baffling.
Some of the instruments are too overpowering, and just drown out the more subtle sounds.

Mustach posted:

And it introduced chocobos.

Horror chocobos.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 28, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The most important song sounds exactly the same to me, so there's that at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

The most important song sounds exactly the same to me, so there's that at least.

Look at the info on that video. It wasn't rearranged.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mobius As gently caress Chocobos, more like. Because hot drat that is straight out of a better issue of mid '80s Heavy Metal Magazine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Was FFX's version of Prelude this 80's Synth Beat as it is in the HD remake OST? Because hot drat this is amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the FFX-2 side of things, it didn't sound that different to me. Plus, unless there's more to it than what's on that playlist, they didn't even redo that many songs.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So I'm nearing the end of Final Fantasy III (NES) for the first time. I'm to understand that there's a super long dungeon and boss fight coming up, but it didn't actually occur to me until this point that Tents aren't really a thing in this game. Is there gonna be a magic pot that restores HP/MP at some point in the future, or should I just abandon all magic until bosses from here on?

This Ancient Cave is kicking my rear end already, fuckin Unne's Clones hucking whirlwinds and poo poo around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
For Final Fantasy X-2 remaster, they didn't rearrange any of the songs as far as I know, but they did use the tracks from the CD, rather than the PS2 synth'd ones, so they have improved quality.