Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

LordPants posted:

Jericho is when ever he wants to and when his band stops touring.

Jericho's got it worked out though, after watching Hogan in '05 that you don't do poo poo until Vince promises you the world (Kind of like Rock now with his big PPV percentages and creative control) so it's more Vince's call than Jericho's.

Rock & Hogan were draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

warbrides posted:

Why did Laurinaitis get a job with WWF after the WCW buyout? Was he good at whatever he did behind the scenes at WCW?

My guess is that he can suck a golf ball through fifty feet of garden hose.

(He used to not be an utter twat.)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Listening to a LAW podcast yesterday and they were talking about the Rockers/Hart Foundation title change match where the top rope broke and it didn't make air. They were saying that happened because WWF prefer(red) using real ropes for the ring ropes rather than steel cable, which is what WCW was using. It sounds like the cable is less prone to breakage and that the cruisers and other guys who used top rope maneuvers vastly prefer it.

What's with WWE's hard-on for real rope?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Mystery Opponent posted:

Johnny Ace :

1) Had a kickass skateboard back when skateboards were awesome

2) Had a bunch of meltzerfests in Glorious Nippon

3) Fired Low Ki

4) Makes fat cash

5) Bangs hot women in Miami

I'd say that "being Johnny Ace" is one of the top 5 jobs in the world

MassRayPer posted:

6) Fired Bob Holly

Mystery Opponent posted:

7) Fired the entire OMEGA crew over the course of a year

I know you guys are being facetious but that actually does sound really awesome. Why do people not like him again?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Web Jew.0 posted:

I know you guys are being facetious but that actually does sound really awesome. Why do people not like him again?
Because at the same time, he's not really good at hiring women's wrestlers, and he lets people go just because he doesn't like them. Dave Lagana has said about a couple of people that popular guys were let go because "Creative has nothing for you" when there were tons of ideas for the guy in the actual creative meetings. They wouldn't hear about the release until the internet did.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Wasn't Johnny Ace booking WCW when it was halfway decent in early 2001, or was that just a rumor?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Flameingblack posted:

Because at the same time, he's not really good at hiring wrestlers

Fixed that for you. I mean yes, he fires people the Internet doesn't like, but he's not a very good talent scout and keeps his job because he's a good stooge, not because he's actually competent.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

Because at the same time, he's not really good at hiring women's wrestlers

He is very awesome at hiring hot women though. Just playing devil's advocate here, but what if his direction from Vince is "Okay Ace, the chicks are out there for eye candy and nothing else, so you bring me the most beautiful women you can find who can somewhat avoid killing themselves in the ring"

If that's his directive from on high, I'd say Ace is doing a pretty fine job.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Random question but what is the general consensus on Goldberg? My friend and I were discussing Goldberg because we had read a comment somewhere about how Goldberg was a bigger name than the Rock. I had brought up the point that Goldberg was really just the product of a undefeated streak push where as the Rock was insanely popular because of his in-ring ability and his ability to cut great promos.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Wasn't Johnny Ace booking WCW when it was halfway decent in early 2001, or was that just a rumor?

I thought he was just a road agent and did match endings, but not the actual results. I remember reading references to "1, 2, Johnny Ace!" due how many false finishes there would be in a given Nitro.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Little spillover from the Spoiler thread...

What's the story behind the ref throwing up the X during the WM22 MitB for Flair? I recall thinking it was worked to put over Flair as loving crazy to avoid him taking any serious ladder bumps.

Was there something more to it? Was Flair really injured or was it a total work?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Little spillover from the Spoiler thread...

What's the story behind the ref throwing up the X during the WM22 MitB for Flair? I recall thinking it was worked to put over Flair as loving crazy to avoid him taking any serious ladder bumps.

Was there something more to it? Was Flair really injured or was it a total work?
If nothing came of it, it was legit. The WWE never made a habit of working internet fans back then.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

LAWLandMine posted:

Random question but what is the general consensus on Goldberg? My friend and I were discussing Goldberg because we had read a comment somewhere about how Goldberg was a bigger name than the Rock. I had brought up the point that Goldberg was really just the product of a undefeated streak push where as the Rock was insanely popular because of his in-ring ability and his ability to cut great promos.

Goldberg was serviceable, at beast, in the ring. The best match he ever had was probably the Halloween Havoc match with DDP, because DDP would plan out all his matches move for move in advance. I can't remember him ever cutting a memorable promo, either. He really was a result of having a great look, 2 hugely over moves, and the streak.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

LAWLandMine posted:

I know Rock was better than Goldberg in the ring, but Rock was not known for in-ring ability. He was a promo guy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LAWLandMine posted:

You can't book a guy to get as over as Goldberg was. He had a really great in-ring presence and style that people liked. And "monster face" was fairly novel.

ChampRamp posted:

I know Rock was better than Goldberg in the ring, but Rock was not known for in-ring ability. He was a promo guy.

Would the People's Elbow count as in-ring? He was pretty well known for that.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 27, 2011

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LAWLandMine posted:

There was a big discussion about this in the WCW thread the other day. The general consensus seems to be that Goldberg is a perfect storm of the right look, intensity, and physical charisma.

Was he bigger than the Rock? That's a tough call. I would say maybe, because the Rock was really in Stone Cold's shadow at the height of his popularity.

Lone Goat posted:

I thought he was just a road agent and did match endings, but not the actual results. I remember reading references to "1, 2, Johnny Ace!" due how many false finishes there would be in a given Nitro.

That may very well be. Does anyone know for sure?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

There was a big discussion about this in the WCW thread the other day. The general consensus seems to be that Goldberg is a perfect storm of the right look, intensity, and physical charisma.

Was he bigger than the Rock? That's a tough call. I would say maybe, because the Rock was really in Stone Cold's shadow at the height of his popularity.

Yeah, that kind of what I said to him as well. Everything kind of came together at the right time when Goldberg was around. My friend wasn't a huge WCW fan when it was around so he knew Goldberg mostly from WWE.

I guess the question of who was bigger really comes down to the person. I remember Goldberg getting insane pops in WCW when he was at the height of his popularity. To me, Rock will always be bigger but I'm sure there are some who would disagree as well. You're right though, Austin did overshadow the Rock as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I feel like I've seen lots of Austin 3:16 and Goldberg shirts and merch out in public in my lifetime, but really not a lot for the Rock. Not sure if that means anything for their overall popularity.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Keep in mind that Goldberg's height of popularity came a little bit earlier than the Rock's. Goldberg might have been a bigger name in '98, but I think at least in the Mid-Atlantic Rock was the bigger mainstream name at his peak. You certainly saw tons of people wearing Rock and SCSA shirts in my area, but the only WCW shirts you ever saw were the various NWO designs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LAWLandMine posted:

I guess the question of who was bigger really comes down to the person. I remember Goldberg getting insane pops in WCW when he was at the height of his popularity. To me, Rock will always be bigger but I'm sure there are some who would disagree as well. You're right though, Austin did overshadow the Rock as well.

Let me put it this way, if Goldberg had been unveiled as the guest host of Wrestlemania XXVII, would anyone have given a poo poo?

Also, Austin overshadowed Rock for a while but during his absence in 2000 the Rock stepped up and became just as big a star.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Goldberg was a near perfect example (until the point where they hosed it up) of booking a guy to focus fans on his strengths and hide his weaknesses. He showed up, hit some explosive looking power moves and had quick matches that whipped fans into a frenzy while not saying a word. He could squash someone on every Nitro for months and people still didn't have the chance to get tired of him.

Crimson in TNA is a good example of what happens when you don't get the right guy for an angle like that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Goldberg was basically a modern day Ultimate Warrior, except he didn't spend all his energy running to the ring so he could actually pull off some stuff without blowing up right away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MrBling posted:

Goldberg was basically a modern day Ultimate Warrior, except he didn't spend all his energy running to the ring so he could actually pull off some stuff without blowing up right away.

Goldberg was in the NFL, so he would have to at least be a halfway decent athlete wouldn't he? Especially compared to Warrior.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

It helped that Goldberg was honestly a good athlete. Had he been trained better, he would have probably become a really loving good wrestler.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Goldberg was a great athlete. Look up his match with Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000 to see the essential difference between Goldberg muscle and Steiner muscle. Its also full of great power moves from both guys.

Goldberg wanted to (and did) learn all kinds of moves but the booking didn't allow him to really show them off. His matches with DDP and Sting show it off a bit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

Let me put it this way, if Goldberg had been unveiled as the guest host of Wrestlemania XXVII, would anyone have given a poo poo?

Also, Austin overshadowed Rock for a while but during his absence in 2000 the Rock stepped up and became just as big a star.

If WCW had won the war and The Rock were unveiled as the guest host of Starrcade, would anyone have given a poo poo in comparison to if it were Goldberg?

The Rock is bigger in WWE than Goldberg, yes. This does not mean The Rock was bigger than Goldberg outside of WWE.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

triplexpac posted:

I feel like I've seen lots of Austin 3:16 and Goldberg shirts and merch out in public in my lifetime, but really not a lot for the Rock. Not sure if that means anything for their overall popularity.

True, but I tend to hear a lot more of the Rock's catchphrases - particularly "Smack down" and " If you smell...."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Edwardian posted:

True, but I tend to hear a lot more of the Rock's catchphrases - particularly "Smack down" and " If you smell...."

Rock is one of the most quotable wrestlers ever, but god drat did he have some terrible t-shirt designs. Did anyone ever like that loving stupid bull?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Great White Hope posted:

The Rock is bigger in WWE than Goldberg, yes. This does not mean The Rock was bigger than Goldberg outside of WWE.

But the Rock being bigger than Goldberg outside of WWE does.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If The Rock had to deal with Hulk Hogan and Vince Russo back in 1998 and 1999, he likely never would have become the star he is today.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

If The Rock had to deal with Hulk Hogan and Vince Russo back in 1998 and 1999, he likely never would have become the star he is today.

uhhh

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MrBling posted:

Goldberg was a great athlete. Look up his match with Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000 to see the essential difference between Goldberg muscle and Steiner muscle. Its also full of great power moves from both guys.

Goldberg wanted to (and did) learn all kinds of moves but the booking didn't allow him to really show them off. His matches with DDP and Sting show it off a bit.

Can you explain what the differnce is between Golberg muscle and Steiner muscle?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

uhhh

Hogan in 98, Hogan and Russo in 99, no Vince McMahon around.

gently caress, this is better. What if Goldberg was signed by Jim Ross while Rock made his way through the WCW Power Plant?

There.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

oldpainless posted:

Can you explain what the differnce is between Golberg muscle and Steiner muscle?

The former is what allows Goldberg to pick up Steiner almost at will and actually parade him around in a military press and a stalling suplex forever. The latter is Steiner is struggling to get Goldberg up for his power moves despite his gigantic muscles.

I guess the short answer would have been "massive steroid abuse".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

One came entirely out of a bottle.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

I think what he means is that there are people who have muscles and are athletic, and there are people who have muscles who seem to get blown up after 2 minutes of hard cardio.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

But the Rock being bigger than Goldberg outside of WWE does.

And how much of that nowadays has to do with the fact that WWE won the war? Would Rock be as big of a star nowadays if Eric Bischoff buys WWE, tries to make them completely irrelevant in an crappy Invasion, and has Rock come to WCW a bit later only to get smacked around by say, Scott Steiner's ego and have a real awful Starrcade match with a Buff Bagwell who also gives no drat where both men get punked by Larry Z?

Edit: My main point is that using "Gets a bigger reaction from a WWE audience" is not a good measure when comparing a WWE-made star and a WCW star who had a very lukewarm WWE run, not that Goldberg is clearly a bigger star than Rock or anything like that.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

And how much of that nowadays has to do with the fact that WWE won the war? Would Rock be as big of a star nowadays if Eric Bischoff buys WWE, tries to make them completely irrelevant in an crappy Invasion, and has Rock come to WCW a bit later only to get smacked around by say, Scott Steiner's ego and have a real awful Starrcade match with a Buff Bagwell who also gives no drat where both men get punked by Larry Z?

Edit: My main point is that using "Gets a bigger reaction from a WWE audience" is not a good measure when comparing a WWE-made star and a WCW star who had a very lukewarm WWE run, not that Goldberg is clearly a bigger star than Rock or anything like that.

If things were different then they would be different. Excellent point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Rock was a much much bigger star than Goldberg and it isn't even close. I'm not sure where people were seeing these Goldberg t-shirts but they didn't compare to Rock merchandise, Rock ratings, Rock buyrates and Rock's mainstream impact. Goldberg was a huge star from June of 1998 through January of 1999 and after that showed no impact on WCW's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I honestly think that within the confines of a wrestling environment, Goldberg was bigger than the Rock, but not Stone Cold. Goldberg was over as gently caress in 1998. I just feel like the Rock is a bigger deal than Goldberg ever was outside of wrestling, in addition to being a bigger deal in wrestling than Goldberg is now clouds the issue a little.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 27, 2011