Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Those MAA changes aren't gonna make a difference for helis but will make it easier for jets. ARMs are piss easy to aim against helis and this will almost certainly still be the case (unless they get nerfed so hard that they become useless against jets). I haven't flipped a lot of helis with ARMs, so the real danger IME is that they give mobility kills. A stationary helicopter is a dead helicopter unless it's like 800m away and about to fall behind a hill.

And really, after using Zunis on the big king-of-the-hill CR map I'm not sure ARMs are even worth it - with cannons only you can make it nigh impossible for them to operate while gaining the Zunis to deal with more things on the ground, which is more worthwhile (and more fun than staring at the sky).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

MAA will probably be fine. It's just silly they thought "MAA sitting in base spraying at whatever jets it can see" was a problem, but "Attack Helicopter launching absurd TV missiles while hovering above the base" in BF3 was never addressed. At least in BF4 China Rising and some stock maps you can end up with multiples of various vehicles instead of having one moron monopolizing things. rear end in a top hat sitting in spawn launching TV-guideds off the boat on Hainan, I'm looking at you.

They did sort of address this by making the TV missile in BF4 really awful. Three hit kill against armor, direct hit against infantry with zero splash ect. I would like to see them remove TV from boats though, since it does nothing but promote bad gameplay by having some idiot sit in the spawn and spam them.

stranger danger posted:

Those MAA changes aren't gonna make a difference for helis but will make it easier for jets. ARMs are piss easy to aim against helis and this will almost certainly still be the case (unless they get nerfed so hard that they become useless against jets). I haven't flipped a lot of helis with ARMs, so the real danger IME is that they give mobility kills. A stationary helicopter is a dead helicopter unless it's like 800m away and about to fall behind a hill.

And really, after using Zunis on the big king-of-the-hill CR map I'm not sure ARMs are even worth it - with cannons only you can make it nigh impossible for them to operate while gaining the Zunis to deal with more things on the ground, which is more worthwhile (and more fun than staring at the sky).

This is all spot on, and exactly the reason why below radar is pretty much the only thing that will balance helicopters versus all the lock-on spam. With BR returned to choppers (but not jets) they won't have to totally nerf ARMs or other lock-ons and ruin their power against jets to make things even a little bit fair for choppers.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Really fun to jump in a map, announce that I am lazing things, and watch as death starts to rain down on everything. Seems there's a lot of engies out there willing to just blow poo poo up they can't even see.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

"Attack Helicopter launching absurd TV missiles while hovering above the base" in BF3 was never addressed.

I found jets addressed this problem often, and with ease.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I really don't want the divebombing jetlords from BF3 returning. I remember they were able to basically bomb the poo poo out of the AA while barely reaching a range you could hit them, the only counter was another jet. I feel like the MAA nerf was fine with just active radar taking a hit. Some of the maps are like matchboxes where jets and AA shouldn't even be included is the real issue.

Why would this bring back divebombing/out-of-range situations? 30mm (at 800m/s) can still reach across most maps, it just needs a little lead-time. It just makes the 20mm an inferior choice overall.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see an extra page and a half there :downs:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 28, 2014

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

I encountered a really stupid bug yesterday in Obliteration on Golmud Railway. Did you know that you can dig a crater with explosives underneath one of the bomb sites, making it impossible for the other team to plant the bomb? Yeah, well you can, and it's stupid. We would have blown the final bomb site a half dozen times were it not for that.

God that was so incredibly frustrating.

It pretty much got to the point that both teams towards the end were almost commiserating how terrible that bug/DICE was, like the English and Germans playing soccer on Christmas during WWI.

It's so-dumb-yet-so-simple bugs like this that seemingly should be easy to fix that really ruin the game and turn people away.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Okay, what the heck gives? I've been trying to join *any* server tonight (0 slots free, 1-5 slots free, whatever) and I keep getting a variety of Battlelog errors, including "BF4 is already running," "Client closed connection," and the generic "Couldn't connect to the server." Is there some new mystery bug and fix, or am I just getting my turn at being randomly unable to play the game?

EDIT: It seems to hang at "Connecting" (even starting BF4.exe) before I get one of those random errors.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Finally got called out for "MAV glitching" for the first time. It was some recon whose MAA was obliterated by 4 near-instantaneous missiles.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Target Practice posted:

Finally got called out for "MAV glitching" for the first time. It was some recon whose MAA was obliterated by 4 near-instantaneous missiles.

I like to think of it as Dice's way of allowing infantry to troll armor freely. :colbert:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just found out that the hills facing the big dish on Rogue Transmission are consistently ripe for tag harvesting with all the oblivious recons there. The knifing animations just make it so much funnier when you turn them over and stab them, then wait for them to respawn and run back to the same position only for you to pop up, punch them in the face and stab them again.

Forget Destruction 2.0 and Levolution and all that poo poo, taking care of useless players in such a viscerally satisfying way is the true innovation of this game.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

Apropos to nothing in particular, I just thought I'd say I had an absolute blast playing with a bunch of you guys on The Bar Room last night (Origin: BarbarianSteve), and was blown away by how much more fun being part of a squad that actually works together made things.

I'd also like to paraphrase the advice someone gave earlier regarding making Recon fun to grind: Shotguns and C4 baby yeah.

Likewise.

e: This is wayth by the way.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
You know, I used to get mad when the enemy team had a LB pilot with over 20 kills and 2 deaths (both from me) and I'm literally the only engineer on my team of 32 shootmans. Then I just remember if I quit I don't lose any points. :dice: actually did me good on this one.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

SwitchbladeKult posted:

You know, I used to get mad when the enemy team had a LB pilot with over 20 kills and 2 deaths (both from me) and I'm literally the only engineer on my team of 32 shootmans. Then I just remember if I quit I don't lose any points. :dice: actually did me good on this one.

Your quit ratio stat goes the wrong direction and those who pay attention to that stat will be less likely to help you. They may, however, be impressed by your number of rocket kills. Because we are watching. :v:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Thanks to SwitchbladeKult and Doyzer1 for some awesome dominating of Golmud Railway. That last match was great. Calling incomings at points, lazing poo poo. Pubbies and goons alike were on top of their poo poo for a change. MAVFLAM is the best thing. Only needed a few more goons to fill out the squad and TOW/Jav/SRAW everything that moves. :getin:

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2014

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

whatspeakyou posted:

Thanks to SwitchbladeKult and Doyzer1 for some awesome dominating of Golmud Railway. That last match was great. Calling incomings at points, lazing poo poo. Pubbies and goons alike were on top of their poo poo for a change. MAVFLAM is the best thing. Only needed a few more goons to fill out the squad and TOW/Jav/SRAW everything that moves. :getin:

I don't remember this, Oh wait I was auto-balanced to the other team.:dice:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Doyzer posted:

The match before that was good. :smith:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Doyzer posted:

To be fair that was the admin script that swapped you not Dice. I don't think they are involved in development of that stuff. Either way, just quit and rejoin and chances are it'll put you back on the right team. If not it'll keep trying until it succeeds in moving you to the team with members of your friend's list on it. Come to think of it, Dice basically created auto team stacking. :hfive:

Edit:
I love seeing that 0 - 0 at number 2.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 28, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So despite :dice: I went ahead and bought Premium but all the extra poo poo is still greyed out and inaccessible, welp...

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

CitrusFrog posted:

So despite :dice: I went ahead and bought Premium but all the extra poo poo is still greyed out and inaccessible, welp...

They're having alot of issues with unlocking poo poo. Probably just wait a couple hours. (Or months.)

What the hell

He got 14 spotting ribbons that game, was that all he was doing? Hahaha

Major INTERSpess fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 28, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Major INTERSpess posted:

They're having alot of issues with unlocking poo poo. Probably just wait a couple hours. (Or months.)

What the hell

He got 14 spotting ribbons that game, was that all he was doing? Hahaha

There were a bunch of us lasing poo poo as Recons the other night. That might be why.

Edit: By "bunch of us" I mean a whole squad.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 28, 2014

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

Vasudus posted:

It happens with anything that isn't a personal weapon. So vehicles, turrets, whatever. You can even do it as the fixed TOW launchers, which is extra funny because you have unlimited ammo.
Speaking of - I have this very same idea, but I can't for the love of me find such things on maps when I specifically start looking for them. At the same time it's like I always randomly run into stationary AT launchers when I'm NOT looking to get into one.

Where are they? Any specific spots with stationary AT you can suggest, off the top of your head?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you get the MAVLAM to work? Does the soflam need to have LOS to what you are aiming at in the mav?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you get the MAVLAM to work? Does the soflam need to have LOS to what you are aiming at in the mav?

Nope. Just plant it in uncap behind a wall etc so opposing mav can't pop it (don't use it!) then launch your MAV and fly away to free points by aiming at vehicles until they die.

Tell your team what you're doing and the ones with brains will quickly switch to launchers and start exploding things.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Would it work if planted inside a building?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Hopper posted:

Yep! It doesn't need LOS.

The LOS is simply between where you aim and the target not from the soflam.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hopper posted:

Put it inside a container so it can't be killed.

Delicious Meat
Feb 28, 2006

Violence is always the answer. No exceptions.
I've finally unlocked all the DMRs. :suicide:

Now I can go back to LMGs and out-snipe recons with the 240B.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Put it inside a container so it can't be killed.

That was the plan :devil:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

fknlo posted:

Hey man, saw some poor skygod that was like 38-4 the other day. Poor guy had to suffer the humiliation of 4 deaths. FOUR. That's just unacceptable.

Considering how often the mantra of "K/D doesn't matter" gets repeated, why is this something people care about? It's not as if it's through the act of having more kills than deaths that this person is impacting the game. I mean, I'm often out of the fight for longer periods of time while in a jet than I would be on foot. If you're damaged, have used countermeasures, or both, you'll often find yourself out of the action for a much longer time than someone who dies on foot and immediately respawns. If K/D ratio doesn't matter, isn't it equally (or more) efficient to just chase a jet out of the fight than to kill it and wait for the respawn?

E; For that matter, it's not as if 38-4 is a stat that's especially hard to obtain with a tad bit of good fortune in other vehicles such as; tanks, mobile AAs, IFVs and Scout choppers (with or without repairs) (not an exhaustive list)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97aOOIUIXI Related

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 28, 2014

Broken Record
Jan 3, 2012

That man is my hero.

I am more than content to fly my MAV around all night and helping my squadmates/team win. Mostly because I have the aim of sloth on Prozac when using guns.

Broken Record
Jan 3, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Equip SOFLAM in one slot, MAV in another.
Deploy SOFLAM at your uncap. DO NOT USE IT!! <---Very important
Deploy MAV. Use it, fly up and target things. Hit Q to spot enemies.
Spam chat with "I'VE GOT MAV, USE LASERS!!!11!!!" until your team gets it.

Also, ask a Support to drop an ammo crate near you so when/if your MAV gets shot down, you can resupply and send another one out.
Don't forget you can use the MAV to destroy landmines, C4, spawnbeacons, etc. Just aim crosshair and mouse click.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

nvm, sorted it

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Just wanted to thank whoever it was in this thread that originally recommended using the EOD bot on Locker. I was screwing around with it again last night and not only is it effective, it's also hilariously funny. Surprisingly good at breaking stalemates too - they can just drive right through no-man's land thanks to their ludicrously strong armor, at which point the enemy team starts frantically backpedaling and trying to shoot at them. The momentary lapse in defensive fire is usually enough for an aggressive team to storm on through while the EOD bot tanks the hits.

But let's face it, the real draw both is, and always will be, murdering people with a welding torch to the kneecap.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Broken Record posted:

That man is my hero.

I am more than content to fly my MAV around all night and helping my squadmates/team win. Mostly because I have the aim of sloth on Prozac when using guns.

Those of us with quicker reaction times salute you magic flying laser sloth! You feed us duritos and diamonds while we feed you points in return. Seriously, even without the SOFLAM thing, having a MAV spotting all the enemies trying to sneak up on me is amazing!

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY
Yeah, MAVLAM is the bomb, I just sat in my office at spawn playing angry birds on the Ipad and..

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/427936872040698368/243521079/

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Delicious Meat posted:

I've finally unlocked all the DMRs. :suicide:

Now I can go back to LMGs and out-snipe recons with the 240B.

I'm halfway through the last one and I hate myself. I ground through sniper rifles just before this, and I've discovered that I've nearly forgotten how to use automatic weapons... :(

Why the gently caress did they make the point cost on those last two DMR's so loving high?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Those of us with quicker reaction times salute you magic flying laser sloth! You feed us duritos and diamonds while we feed you points in return. Seriously, even without the SOFLAM thing, having a MAV spotting all the enemies trying to sneak up on me is amazing!
I know its rare, but the times I've had a MAV-user on squad comms telling me everything coming my way in addition to the map and spotting has lead to some ridiculous point-runs on my part.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Is it the engineer's javelin launcher that you use against laser-designated targets? What about air? My friends and I are going to try this out later this week.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Lazlow posted:

I'm halfway through the last one and I hate myself. I ground through sniper rifles just before this, and I've discovered that I've nearly forgotten how to use automatic weapons... :(

Why the gently caress did they make the point cost on those last two DMR's so loving high?

I'm 86% through the last one and it's painful seeing the progress bar go so slow. Never switched off the RFB because using iron sights makes me want to put a bullet in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Also I don't know why claymores seem to have tripwires that are as large as your arms, I never seem them used probably because theyre so easy to spot and destroy.

• Locked thread