Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mirthless posted:

I think the people who care about politics and who are also funny are very few and very far between

I mean, just look at this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

An Amendment XXV Cartoon.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

An Amendment XXV Cartoon.

:thejoke:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
It's funny because he's fantasizing about a fellow human being (who happens to be a President he disagrees with) dying horribly.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Alt-text is "God just happens to hate the same things American conservatives hate. Go figure."

This is basically prime Bors material, even though most of the rest are bland and pointless and I'm not evil so I won't post them anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pd187 posted:

What the poo poo is this

A genuinely good cartoon. It's saying that Americans are all alike and America was mostly OK, but one day Americans elected a black man to be President. Rich people became worried that a black man might succeed President, and so they decided to wreck America rather than let him succeed. I'll let you fill in the blanks as to who the rich people and the black President are.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

T-man posted:

The Alt-text is "God just happens to hate the same things American conservatives hate. Go figure."

This is basically prime Bors material, even though most of the rest are bland and pointless and I'm not evil so I won't post them anyway.

American conservatives hate America, Israel, and our troops?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SerialKilldeer posted:

Sorry, I didn't keep up with all of the last thread.

And the answer to your question:
http://www.farleftside.com/2013/9-11-13-WTC-momentum.html
He does at least one conspiracy comic around 9/11 every year.
This pisses me off more than all the ripoff Far Side comics I see in Newspapers and makes me sad that I can't post Far Side strips because Gary Larson doesn't want people posting his comics online.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Lightanchor posted:

What's the alternate reading of the contentious comic? What other 'I got this legally changed' sort of thing could McCoy have been riffing on? Legally changing one's name, or something?

Legally changing one's gender.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lightanchor posted:

What's the alternate reading of the contentious comic? What other 'I got this legally changed' sort of thing could McCoy have been riffing on? Legally changing one's name, or something?

You see this is what I'm loving talking about when I say "This isn't a thing people think about when you say this phrase". Seriously if a goon couldn't see it, your average McCoy reader (or McCoy couldn't see it.)

SedanChair's assessment of the comic was probably the most correct (beyond the "it's just a for pay greeting card comic" answer, anyway) since McCoy is exactly the kind of guy who hates anyone who isn't as straight, white and male as him. I just don't think he was being a dick about trans people so much "anyone who tries to change what they are", since he, again, has the advantage of being white and male without any questions about his gender identity. gently caress, this explains why he hates the poor so much, too. God drat Glenn, you're a dick.

I feel like I need to underscore my disapproval of McCoy while saying anything that seems remotely like it's defending him because god drat gently caress that guy

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 30, 2014

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

You see this is what I'm loving talking about when I say "This isn't a thing people think about when you say this phrase". Seriously if a goon couldn't see it, your average McCoy reader (or McCoy couldn't see it.)

Of course, the whole point is that people don't think about it. Then when you point it out they're all "why that never occurred to me! You're crazy." And now you're the one who has to prove you're not "hypersensitive" or "tumblr."

It seems you understand the sinister nature of the cartoon now, but I hope you understand how it's also sinister to dismiss an interpretation out of hand because it comes from outside your experience.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Also apple pie and ice cream.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Actually... yes. Except the Israel bit. Otherwise they wouldn't be clamoring to Take Back Are Cuntry and they might give a drat about veterans.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you take it as a given that the American government hates America somehow, then you can be basically an armed insurgent against it and still get to call yourself a patriot!

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Mirthless posted:

I've met plenty of socially progressive people who get pretty upset about transgendered people existing at all, and I've met plenty of awful, intolerant conservative christians who had some weird blindspot when it came to the issue.

Case in point - Iran, which is generally a very bad environment for LGBT people, accepted transsexuals relatively early, to the point that some in gay relationships chose to adopt transsexual identities to achieve social safety.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Case in point - Iran, which is generally a very bad environment for LGBT people, accepted transsexuals relatively early, to the point that some in gay relationships chose to adopt transsexual identities to achieve social safety.

Iran is hardly a transgender Mecca. They forcibly transition gay people in order to make them straight and refuse to accept the identities of gay transgender people. It's better or at last as good as the US if you're a transgender person exclusively attracted to your birth sex and worse for literally everyone else.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Couple pages back, but I'd just like to note that this is the second Bok in a row I've agreed with. I'm scared.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This is such a creepy whitewashing dude.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

America is a sinful wasteland with liberals in it. I mean, there are people there- GAY people- who aren't dead yet!

Israel is full of goddamned Jews, but it needs to exist for the end times to happen according to prophecy. Thankfully it goes away after that point.

Our troops are in the control of a Kenyan Muslim. Now is the time for well-armed citizen-soldiers to take back our country. And we can't afford to help veterans.

So sayeth the LORD, thanks be to God. Amen.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Somfin posted:

America is a sinful wasteland with liberals in it. I mean, there are people there- GAY people- who aren't dead yet!

Israel is full of goddamned Jews, but it needs to exist for the end times to happen according to prophecy. Thankfully it goes away after that point.

Our troops are in the control of a Kenyan Muslim. Now is the time for well-armed citizen-soldiers to take back our country. And we can't afford to help veterans.

So sayeth the LORD, thanks be to God. Amen.

I wonder what percentage of conservatives have negative opinions on The Jews but positive opinions towards Israel?

That number has gotta be alarmingly high.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

I wonder what percentage of conservatives have negative opinions on The Jews but positive opinions towards Israel?

Whenever you see a conspiracy theory that ties everything back to "bankers" rather than "wealthy people," that's code.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mirthless posted:

Over in the freep thread, we've more than once come across one of them saying something to the tune of "loving idiot liberal Jews voting for Obama, don't those morons realize he's worse than a hundred megaHitlers and wants to destroy sacred Israel?!" So there's that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's hard not to see anti-Semitism as being the very root of pro-Israel fundamentalism.

"Hurry up and put all the Jews in Israel so they can git vaporized and begin the final countdown!"

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Over in the freep thread, we've more than once come across one of them saying something to the tune of "loving idiot liberal Jews voting for Obama, don't those morons realize he's worse than a hundred megaHitlers and wants to destroy sacred Israel?!" So there's that.

Things would be so much easier if the US would just stick to accepted SI units, but no, the rest of the world uses Hitlers, while we insist on using Obamas.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Not My Leg posted:

Things would be so much easier if the US would just stick to accepted SI units, but no, the rest of the world uses Hitlers, while we insist on using Obamas.

American exceptionalism, my friend :smug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not My Leg posted:

Hey, with widespread computers it's easy to convert Obamas to Hitlers anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

carry on then posted:

Hey, with widespread computers it's easy to convert Obamas to Hitlers anyway.
Isn't it 1:1? Using a Raller, that is.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Legally changing one's gender.

Mirthless posted:

SedanChair's assessment of the comic was probably the most correct (beyond the "it's just a for pay greeting card comic" answer, anyway) since McCoy is exactly the kind of guy who hates anyone who isn't as straight, white and male as him. I just don't think he was being a dick about trans people so much "anyone who tries to change what they are", since he, again, has the advantage of being white and male without any questions about his gender identity. gently caress, this explains why he hates the poor so much, too. God drat Glenn, you're a dick.

I feel like I need to underscore my disapproval of McCoy while saying anything that seems remotely like it's defending him because god drat gently caress that guy

Let me be more clear.

Lightanchor posted:

What's the alternate reading of the contentious comic, besides it being about trans people? What other 'I got this legally changed' sort of thing could McCoy have been riffing on? Legally changing one's name, or something?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Stanfill does seem to like drawing his political enemies naked:

:nws: http://farleftside.com/2008/6-25-08.html :nws:

Pine cones? :confused:

I confess. I laughed at this one.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sandpuppy posted:

Pine cones would be unpleasant to have shoved up one's rear end. Reagan is in Hell having pinecones shoved up his rear end forever. That's all there is to it.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

chairface posted:

Pine cones would be unpleasant to have shoved up one's rear end. Reagan is in Hell having pinecones shoved up his rear end forever. That's all there is to it.

Ah OK. I got that part, but thought there was something specific it was relating to. I guess after seeing Kelly drop a cigar bomb in the baby Clinton cartoon, my expectations are unfairly high.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

chairface posted:

It's a reference to a joke from execrable movie Little Nicky, in which I believe it's Hitler's punishment in hell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lycus posted:

I wouldn't want this post to get lost in the wilderness.

:golfclap:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Lycus posted:

You forget that Obama also has drones, so he is extra Hitler. I think the conversion is Hitler * 3/5 + 44 = Obama.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did anything prompt this, or is this reference almost two decades old?

Lightanchor posted:

Let me be more clear.
Names.

It seems to me that's what the vast majority of people think when they hear "legally changed", particularly in the context of jokes :shrug:.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a reference to a joke from execrable movie Little Nicky, in which I believe it's Hitler's punishment in hell.

I'm pretty sure it was a pineapple but gently caress if I'm going to rewatch any of that turd to find out.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

That was a pineapple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sandpuppy posted:

More goddamned transphobia. When will this persecution end?

• Locked thread