Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Davoren posted:

I've never had a pork bun, though I've always wanted to try one after seeing them in countless movies and things. I don't even know where I'd get one round here. :(

There are times when living in San Francisco makes it literally the best place on earth. Knowing that right now I could get some lovely bao that are probably better than most other places in the country is one of them, but having the quiet satisfaction of knowing that when I fall asleep now craving dim sum, I can just wake up in a few hours and walk eight blocks to get stupidly huge amounts for like four bucks that would be four meals if it wasn't so goddamn good is the true reason to live here, though.

What I'm saying is that your life isn't complete until you've had a freshly steamed cha siu bao. Do what it takes, sir, because I don't think there's a way to screw up the basics, but nothing -- and I do mean nothing can compare to having a fresh one right out of the steamer. The bao has a kind of sticky outside with the smallest amount of give, then just melts and you're left with rich, savory, intensely flavorful pork swimming in sauce that is only molten for a moment. If you live in any kind of major metro area, they must have a Chinatown, and you must get there tomorrow and chow the gently caress down. It'll cost you pennies (okay, quarters), and you just have to say "cha siu bao" (it's pronounced exactly like it looks - "cha siew bow" - the last being like bow wow rather than bow and arrow or Charles in Charge).

Heaven help you if the person behind the counter speaks English and starts recommending stuff (your answer is YES to everything in that case, but there's no going back at that point).

Also, finished the game a few hours ago and was so utterly satisfied at the experience. The ending (meaning the cutscene stuff) wasn't quite what I would have hoped in terms of closure, but games can't seem to get that right for the life of 'em. The actual mission, dialogue and events, though? Amazing. Something this game does better than literally every other open world sandbox is lets the conversations really feel like people talking. The pauses are right, the banter is timed perfectly and you'll still hear some little hitches or stutters in the delivery that makes it amazing without feeling overly produced like the GTA games.

It's really quite incredible; the characters are really interesting, the setting is perfect, the soundtrack is amazing, and what I initially chalked up to being jankiness ended up being easily overcome. It's not a perfect home run, but can you imagine living in a world where this game wasn't allowed to exist? I mean, if you didn't already hate Activision, this is kinda reason enough.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I might just trek up to Chinatown in London and see what I can see. Pork balls, sounds good man.

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009

nickmeister posted:

What do "witnesses" do? Occasionally, when I have an accident, a bunch of them pop up on the mini-map, but then disappear.

Also, what reference is the "Hog Pen Row" outfit?

If your waving a gun around or commit a major crime with people close by its a higher chance the cops will be called on you.

Hog Pen Row outfit is Kung Fu Hustle.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

SamBishop posted:

Also, finished the game a few hours ago and was so utterly satisfied at the experience. The ending (meaning the cutscene stuff) wasn't quite what I would have hoped in terms of closure, but games can't seem to get that right for the life of 'em. The actual mission, dialogue and events, though? Amazing. Something this game does better than literally every other open world sandbox is lets the conversations really feel like people talking. The pauses are right, the banter is timed perfectly and you'll still hear some little hitches or stutters in the delivery that makes it amazing without feeling overly produced like the GTA games.

It's really quite incredible; the characters are really interesting, the setting is perfect, the soundtrack is amazing, and what I initially chalked up to being jankiness ended up being easily overcome. It's not a perfect home run, but can you imagine living in a world where this game wasn't allowed to exist? I mean, if you didn't already hate Activision, this is kinda reason enough.

I haven't finished the game yet, but what you said is what I've been thinking the whole time I've been playing.

I'm pretty drat surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Casnorf posted:

I once discovered a crappy chinese buffet in Philadelphia that had pork buns. My life since then has been a quest to find them again.

There's a ramen place downtown on 18th between Market and Chestnut that makes an awesome pork bun. I don't know how legit it is but it's so good. It's like a small spicy pork belly sandwich.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
What song is it, in the game, that reminds me of 'Crazy Motorcycle'/'Chase of Highway' from Final Fantasy 7? I hear it pop up in races here and there but I really am not sure which one it is.

Link for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjadGHlsNl4

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

projecthalaxy posted:

I accidentally called the Valet to send along my Bismarck while I was biking around, and it turns out that the Valet trying to deliver your car while you are both going full speed down a freeway is very similar to the Valet trying to run you off the road.
That reminds me of yet another stupid question: How do you get him to deliver specific cars? He only ever brings me my first bike, despite owning every car.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Reo posted:

That reminds me of yet another stupid question: How do you get him to deliver specific cars? He only ever brings me my first bike, despite owning every car.

You can set the vehicle at a parking garage.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Davoren posted:

I've never had a pork bun, though I've always wanted to try one after seeing them in countless movies and things. I don't even know where I'd get one round here. :(

Trader Joe's sells them in the frozen section, they're called "Cha Siu Bao". Very tasty!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Davoren posted:

Scout your town for Chinese restaurants, and comb the menus. You will find some eventually. They are a pretty simple food, so it's one of those things that even at a mediocre establishment, they are still pretty good.

It is totally true that you are not a real man until you have had one. There was this great buffet near me that has sadly closed, that besides making a mean pork bun, had these wonderful red bean buns too.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Just had a fight with a few punks on an overpass. Kicked one so hard he flew off the railing, threw another over the railing, beat the third to a pulp. Then to my surprise, an ambulance arrived and one of the medics rushed up to the overpass. He applied a defib to the guy twice and I watched the guy's body convulse, while a lady stopped by only to shout "I'm not interested in this!" in disgust.

Also, happened to notice that the soft Cantopop song on the Softly station is by Vivienne Lu. Does Lucy Liu sing that too?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SamBishop posted:

I was happy with the way things ended. The only thing I didn't really like leading up to it is how Tong seems to come out of nowhere with no buildup or even any name drops, to my recollection. I think somebody in this thread mentioned it before, but I enjoyed the genre shift from a John Woo action flick to a Korean vengeance flick like Oldboy.

One thing I liked about the dialogue is how people who interrupt each other actually cut each other off mid-sentence. It's always a little jarring in games to hear one guy suddenly stop talking, and then another guy start about a half second later. This sounds like, well, the way that people actually talk.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

404notfound posted:

I was happy with the way things ended. The only thing I didn't really like leading up to it is how Tong seems to come out of nowhere with no buildup or even any name drops, to my recollection.

Conroy mentions him in the bus mission for Winston when he's trying to make Wei nervous, in particular he mentions how Tong buries rats alive in reference to what Tong did to the last undercover cop that was with them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Attention Horse posted:

I want a never-ending survival mode. Just Wei Shen versus hundreds of enemies, Matrix Reloaded-style.
The Triad preorder pack had a mission that's exactly this, and you'll be able to purchase it eventually. Comes with bonus gold cleaver that doesn't break.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

404notfound posted:

One thing I liked about the dialogue is how people who interrupt each other actually cut each other off mid-sentence. It's always a little jarring in games to hear one guy suddenly stop talking, and then another guy start about a half second later. This sounds like, well, the way that people actually talk.

It looks like a lot of the dialogue was recorded with actors together instead of separately. In that voice acting trailer you can see Edison Chen recording a line and Will Yun Lee is right next to him with another microphone.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

gibbed posted:

The Triad preorder pack had a mission that's exactly this, and you'll be able to purchase it eventually. Comes with bonus gold cleaver that doesn't break.

Yeah, but everyone has a weapon. As far as I know, there isn't one for just unarmed dudes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah, but everyone has a weapon. As far as I know, there isn't one for just unarmed dudes.

If you are talking about death by a thousand cuts, not every enemy has a weapon. I got up to like 400 kills since you can throw weapons and counter everything.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Defeating a group of enemies where everyone has a weapon is really easy. You just throw your weapon at someone, pick up their weapon, and throw it at someone else.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, after around 50-60 kills all enemies spawn with a weapon which in turn means no more grappling or reliable counters.

Infinite wave of unarmed enemies would be amazing.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

So I found a lockbox up in a multistory car park, along with a janitor. I wanted to throw him over the rail but Wei's been hitting Winston's steroids lately and... :(

under the bridge by the fire hydrant

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That seems like a pretty normal place for him to end up, though I did just watch Kung-Fu Hustle for the first time so my perception may be screwed.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, after around 50-60 kills all enemies spawn with a weapon which in turn means no more grappling or reliable counters.

Infinite wave of unarmed enemies would be amazing.

It's not as awesome as you think, after I got to about 80-90 enemies killed I was honestly bored of the Triad Pre-order mission, mostly because my finger just loving hurt from mashing buttons for so long.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

real_scud posted:

It's not as awesome as you think, after I got to about 80-90 enemies killed I was honestly bored of the Triad Pre-order mission, mostly because my finger just loving hurt from mashing buttons for so long.

500 for me. :)

The big issue for most is that enemies with weapons can't be grappled which just limits you to punching over and over. A game mode where you grapple and reliably counter would be nice. Death by a thousand cuts is fun but when the weapons come out you're extremely limited.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The Amazon pre-order stuff had an infinite enemy mission, but it was monks, so the entire thing was countering until my face meter went tup, then using the fleeting bonus to smash them into gongs and fountains. I got bored after 100 guys because I obviously wasn't getting anything out of it. I may have helped my face, though, I can't remember.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Dodecalypse posted:

I chose to do 'Take On Me' for that mission. Hearing Wei mess up the really high part of that song is pretty funny.

You and me both!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I followed the earlier suggestion and chose to fail Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Good call mystery goon.

And after making the point to the dude's girlfriend, I then sang Take on Me ... like a boss.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Parkingtigers posted:

I followed the earlier suggestion and chose to fail Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Good call mystery goon.

And after making the point to the dude's girlfriend, I then sang Take on Me ... like a boss.

As did I, the only acceptable solution.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Finally got around to finishing this last night. Hell of an ending. I had accidentally moused over some spoilers here, so I knew a few things that were going to happen, but I didn't expect how graphic it would all be. I was literally squirming in my seat. While it may not be "the best" sandbox game, it got enough right that I really like it, and it's at least on the level of SR3 for me. I hope they let United Front make another game like this somewhere down the line.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ShineDog posted:

I might just trek up to Chinatown in London and see what I can see. Pork balls, sounds good man.

I'm kicking myself for not remembering that this is a thing that exists.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game's writing is kind of remarkable in that they can introduce new characters who are only around briefly and yet, you find out a lot about them in a short amount of time.

I love efficient writing.

I want to know more about Broken Nose Jiang. The underworld is definitely a male-dominated place, overflowing with sexist scumbags. She must be terrifyingly efficient to get any respect at all, to say nothing of being within shooting distance of Dragonhead, and she takes a really dim view of criminal activity that victimizes women like enforced prostitution.

I wonder if she got where she is by wits alone or if she happened to be a physical rear end-kicker herself in her youth. I say that because when you're just starting out it's hard to get the respect of the knuckleheads unless you do something on their level. It'd certainly explain the moniker "broken nose."

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 24, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I want to know where she got old salty. He definitely doesn't seem like the kind of person she would hang out with.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a map or something out there that shows where all the street vendors who sell stuff for your houses? I bought an AC Unit, Carpet and statue from random people and I want to see what else there is.

Edit: Where do I get the Golden Weapons?

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 25, 2012

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

The thread got 2000 posts ahead of me and I haven't had a chance to catch up but I was just seeing if there was anyone else that was cruising around blasting this:

Sleeping Dogs Main Menu Theme

Not since Saints Row 3's menu beats have I felt so :frogc00l:NERD BALLA:frogc00l: riding to that.

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009

Mouser.. posted:

The thread got 2000 posts ahead of me and I haven't had a chance to catch up but I was just seeing if there was anyone else that was cruising around blasting this:

Sleeping Dogs Main Menu Theme

Not since Saints Row 3's menu beats have I felt so :frogc00l:NERD BALLA:frogc00l: riding to that.

Yeah it is a pretty awesome track

Some guy put the soundtrack on youtube, not sure if its the full listing but it has to be close
Sleeping Dogs Soundtrack Playlist

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Hinora posted:

Yeah it is a pretty awesome track

Some guy put the soundtrack on youtube, not sure if its the full listing but it has to be close
Sleeping Dogs Soundtrack Playlist

Thank you for posting this, it helped me figure out what a few of the tracks I enjoyed racing were.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Are there any apartment upgrades that give you buffs, like a coffee machine? I don't like having to run around town getting buffs and then losing them by dying.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Well, I finally went on all the dates and got all of the collectibles. For whatever reason, the Mr. Black outfit never unlocked, even though I found all the lockboxes including the one it was in. Oh well, at least I still got the Trophy for buying all the purchasable clothes.

All that remains is to find those last upgrades for my condo in Kennedy Town and I'll be the man who has everything. Well, everything except all of the Triad upgrades. I thought for sure that getting Cop XP would be the problem, but the drug busts and Police Protection Pack gave me more than enough to max it out.

Awesome game. Can't wait for the big finale and (hopefully) the sequel.

There are free energy drinks in your fridge for a damage bonus. If you got the Martial Arts Pack DLC, it puts a wing chun wooden man in your apartment that you can use to get a buff. As far as I know, nothing else actually has an effect.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Doobie Keebler posted:

There's a ramen place downtown on 18th between Market and Chestnut that makes an awesome pork bun. I don't know how legit it is but it's so good. It's like a small spicy pork belly sandwich.
I appreciate the heads-up, though I live outside of DC now. I have heard tell of a little place with all the right qualities near my house; gonna try and find it tomorrow.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Doctor Doodler posted:

Are there any apartment upgrades that give you buffs, like a coffee machine? I don't like having to run around town getting buffs and then losing them by dying.

Every house has energy drinks in the fridge without having to buy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

and nearly every house has a food stand nearby.

• Locked thread