Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I knew about it, but nobody ever talked about it and from my experience playing Final Fantasy games, using defense was a subpar strategy for anything but really gimmicky enemies.

What exactly did it accomplish in the Infinity Engine games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
So, apologies if this has been answered already:
How will PoE give out experience - specifically, will it scale based on something like average party level (as in IWD2) or will the xp values be static like in the other IE games?

Personally, I'd prefer the second option since the first leads to things like level squatting, which is probably the only thing I really dislike about IWD2.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Is there going to be exp awarded from combat in PoE? For some reason I'm thinking no, but I might have confused that with another project.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

rope kid posted:

Yeah, we still don't award XP for kills (though sometimes killing something may be connected to a quest).
No XP just for grinding mobs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Darkhold posted:

How about loot?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

How about loot?

They will drop loot, yeah.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Darkhold posted:

That's awesome. I've always disliked the idea of grinding for XP because it really affects how you play the game, and it always seemed like a lazy way to implement a player progression mechanic to me. In Deus Ex Human Revolution, for example, the game falls all over itself telling you how many different ways you can play it, but the game incentivizes stealth gameplay over actiony guns blazing gameplay so much with such hugely unbalanced xp rewards for stealth that you're basically forced into full stealth mode all the time unless you want to be gimped as hell in the late game. With RPGs, this usually translates to "kill and loot absolutely everything that enters your field of view or suffer the opportunity cost of not doing so" which is just as limiting, really.

I've always loved the idea of mission completion based XP only. You can fart around in this cave killing white mobs all day long, but you get nothing until you kill the boss at the end or complete the quest that tells you to kill the boss, at which point you get full XP rewards, and everybody gets the same XP no matter if they stealth past everything and backstab the boss or whether they nuke and stab everything in their path the whole way. To me it just seems like giving XP rewards for overall progress made is all around the best way to truly "encourage" every playstyle and balance gameplay as opposed to giving out XP for every little thing you do and then trying to balance for an ever widening window of potential player power as the game goes on.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 16, 2014

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

That's awesome. I've always disliked the idea of grinding for XP because it really affects how you play the game, and it always seemed like a lazy way to implement a player progression mechanic to me. In Deus Ex Human Revolution, for example, the game falls all over itself telling you how many different ways you can play it, but the game incentivizes stealth gameplay over actiony guns blazing gameplay so much with such hugely unbalanced xp rewards for stealth that you're basically forced into full stealth mode all the time unless you want to be gimped as hell in the late game. With RPGs, this usually translates to "kill and loot absolutely everything that enters your field of view or suffer the opportunity cost of not doing so" which is just as limiting, really.

I've always loved the idea of mission completion based XP only. You can fart around in this cave killing white mobs all day long, but you get nothing until you kill the boss at the end or complete the quest that tells you to kill the boss, at which point you get full XP rewards, and everybody gets the same XP no matter if they stealth past everything and backstab the boss or whether they nuke and stab everything in their path the whole way. To me it just seems like giving XP rewards for overall progress made is all around the best way to truly "encourage" every playstyle and balance gameplay as opposed to giving out XP for every little thing you do and then trying to balance for an ever widening window of potential player power as the game goes on.

This raise the problem of how do you reward any sort of devious thinking or extra effort on the player's part? There is a horrible trap between "Ugh, so there's only one right way to do it!" and "Ugh, so it doesn't matter which way I did it, the reward was always going to be the same?"

Manufacturing the appearance of value and reward in computer games is really hard.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

GreatGreen posted:

While it's true that DEHR incentivizes stealth gameplay with XP rewards, you're hardly going to be gimped if you go through the game guns blazing. It doesn't really matter what augs you have as long as you've upgraded your weapons and have ammunition for them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

verybad posted:

While it's true that DEHR incentivizes stealth gameplay with XP rewards, you're hardly going to be gimped if you go through the game guns blazing. It doesn't really matter what augs you have as long as you've upgraded your weapons and have ammunition for them.

I always mildly disliked the fact that you got more XP for stealth putdowns than killings. It's like they rewarded you with silence AND XP, for stealth take-downs. :mad:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wingless posted:

This raise the problem of how do you reward any sort of devious thinking or extra effort on the player's part?
If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

I always mildly disliked the fact that you got more XP for stealth putdowns than killings. It's like they rewarded you with silence AND XP, for stealth take-downs. :mad:

I only played DXHR 1.5 times (once full stealth/non-lethal and a half game up to Montreal of a more lethal approach) and it seemed to me I didn't need as much experience if I was just shooting people, steathily or not. Successful stealth in the later levels really relies on those high level augments unless you're ridiculously good whereas shooting people and not caring about cameras and drones started easy and just got easier, even on "Deus Ex" difficulty.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Wingless posted:

This raise the problem of how do you reward any sort of devious thinking or extra effort on the player's part? There is a horrible trap between "Ugh, so there's only one right way to do it!" and "Ugh, so it doesn't matter which way I did it, the reward was always going to be the same?"

Manufacturing the appearance of value and reward in computer games is really hard.

I've always thought that coming up with and executing creative things while accomplishing your goals and not dying are kind of their own rewards. They feel awesome on their own. You don't need a number flashing on the screen to tell you what you just did was cool. I guess on-screen scoreboards and per-kill rewards (excluding loot) kinda feel like sitcom laugh tracks to me. THAT JOKE WAS FUNNY LAUGH AT IT. WHAT YOU JUST DID IN THE GAME WAS COOL HERE'S SOME VALIDATION VIA ONSCREEN FLASHING NUMBERS.

I think progress or checkpoint-based rewards completely eliminate the "one right way" problem, too. If all you have to do is get through the level, you're free to kill everybody or make all the enemies fight themselves until they all die (without worrying about the game tagging you for aggro and thus rewarding you with xp when they die) or stealth past everybody or friend everybody and make them join your party. It doesn't matter. As long as you get to the end, you're rewarded fully. Conversely, if you're rewarded per-kill, then a sneaky rogue ghosting the level would be the objectively worst way to do everything, even if it's the most fun for some people. So what you do to counter balance that is to give weird, proximity based "stealth past" rewards... which means now players are encouraged to stealth past enemies for the xp... then double back and kill them for the kill xp. And now you've just created a totally unnatural and awkward "optimal" playstyle.

I really think there are basically no downsides to progression or checkpoint based xp, for both the player and the designer. The problem is that this makes the game feel much more free and sandboxy, and modern design schools teach that you must reward literally everything the player does under the assumption that the player has no confidence or sense of what's fun and must be told constantly how much fun he's having through validation by reward.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 16, 2014

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Wingless posted:

Fate points :getin:

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

rope kid posted:

If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

I did not think making a general comment on reward structure in computer games would provoke such a weirdly snarky response. There's a reason games have XP and levels and money and loot and shiny things and feats and powers. It is to give the player a sense of achievement and progress. You can bet BG2 would not have been as successful if it was just an interactive story with no reward structures in place. I don't get why this is such a horrible thing to talk about.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
If you have an XP system you already have an explicit reward structure for the player. It makes sense to have that reward structure incentivise playing the game in an interesting way; players will go for the long term reward over the short term gameplay reward almost every time simply because that is how people play RPGs.

However, the gameplay itself can also be more or less rewarding. A game that reacts to the manner in which you accomplish something specifically is more rewarding than one which ignores it. Etc.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SurrealityCheck posted:

If you have an XP system you already have an explicit reward structure for the player. It makes sense to have that reward structure incentivise playing the game in an interesting way; players will go for the long term reward over the short term gameplay reward almost every time simply because that is how people play RPGs.

However, the gameplay itself can also be more or less rewarding. A game that reacts to the manner in which you accomplish something specifically is more rewarding than one which ignores it. Etc.

Alpha Protocol style perks, will this be a thing?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Well that's just a silly answer. Your games are really good BECAUSE of unique and interesting options (and other stuff, too, don't want to sell you short). He's just asking for reactivity and adaptive behavior in his gameplay style.

Kibayasu posted:

I only played DXHR 1.5 times (once full stealth/non-lethal and a half game up to Montreal of a more lethal approach) and it seemed to me I didn't need as much experience if I was just shooting people, steathily or not. Successful stealth in the later levels really relies on those high level augments unless you're ridiculously good whereas shooting people and not caring about cameras and drones started easy and just got easier, even on "Deus Ex" difficulty.

I meant stealth vs kill takedowns. Not just going on a shooting spree. You get more XP by putting someone unconscious than by snapping their neck.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I meant stealth vs kill takedowns. Not just going on a shooting spree. You get more XP by putting someone unconscious than by snapping their neck.
And the silent takedowns are the knockout ones. That was silly, because unless you're going for style, there is zero reason to do a lethal takedown. Less xp, more noise, for the very minor benefit of "they're dead" and "might have looked awesome". Just making it so that the lethal takedowns were also the silent takedowns would have made a lot more gameplay sense.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I really there aren't super-rare random drops. I hate that Diablo-style loot deal when I'm playing an old-school RPG.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'd be pretty shocked if anything more than scrub level loot was randomized. As most of the quests/monsters/loot opportunities are finite it'd make no sense at all for anything of real value to be a random drop.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Same. The way this game is shaping up random high-level drops just wouldn't make sense to me. It seems like if you're going to get a legendary or epic item, it'll be because you wrenched it from the hands of the epic baddy who wields it.

Which reminds me: Are there plans to let the game continue after you've "beaten" it a la Fallout 1 and 2? I mean, having the option to save the Mega Dungeon until after you've saved the world so you can use the awesome MacGuffin you took from the final boss would be pretty cool.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Yeah throwing my hat in for interesting newgame++ stuff aside from enemy HP bloat.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Lotish posted:

so you can use the awesome MacGuffin you took from the final boss would be pretty cool.

If you can take and use it, is it really a macguffin?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Otto Skorzeny posted:

MacGuffin is the name of the Claymore used by the villain. It's like how you name your car or p-due.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
I think the opportunity to tackle each encounter/quest in various ways is rewarding enough for me. Your party being quite beaten up from the last fight? Sneak around the next group of enemies/talk your way through and therefore decrease the risk of having your companions knocked out/lose the fight. The reward for initiating combat should be actually having fun playing the combat or the emotional satisfaction of beating down a bad guy through the ongoing story.

I really dislike the thought of having a separate system giving you (shallow) rewards and patting you on the head, telling you how clever you were handling the latest encounter.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Boggus posted:

I really dislike the thought of having a separate system giving you (shallow) rewards and patting you on the head, telling you how clever you were handling the latest encounter.

It doesn't have to reward you, but it's cool when a game acknowledges it. Even if it's just a different line of dialogue here or there.

'The scouts are saying the bastards didn't even know you were there!'

vs

'Hah. They won't be coming out of their little hidey hole again any time soon.'

Makes the world feel more believable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Well, I was thinking something like the Nano Forge in Red Faction: Guerilla. It's one of the reasons why the EDF is scared and sends their most dangerous forces and equipment to Mars, and you can use it to obliterate buildings and, later, win the game. It's a plot device with in game purpose. George Lucas described R2 as the MacGuffin of the original Star Wars because everyone's looking for that droid, motivating the action, even though he's useful to the cast and not just literal luggage.

So, yeah, if the plot revolves around stealing the Stone of Souls from someone who was going to use it to trap all the souls that would be lost in a political conflict they orchestrated in order to power a spiritual bomb that would blow a hole into the realm of the gods or something, letting us use it to at least kill a bunch of dudes and then use their souls to nuke other dudes like a limit break would be kind of fun but not diminish its value as a MacGuffin.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Space Pussy posted:

Yeah throwing my hat in for interesting newgame++ stuff aside from enemy HP bloat.

They've said they'll do something like the Icewind Dale New Game+ and that wasn't just bigger numbers but also new unique cooler items you couldn't get on the lesser difficulty.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

It doesn't have to reward you, but it's cool when a game acknowledges it. Even if it's just a different line of dialogue here or there.

'The scouts are saying the bastards didn't even know you were there!'

vs

'Hah. They won't be coming out of their little hidey hole again any time soon.'

Makes the world feel more believable.

This is true. Any dialog or world event, like a building crumbling or something, is great for acknowledging specific player behavior. Mechanically speaking though, the game shouldn't treat any approach differently from any other in terms of rewards provided.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

They've said they'll do something like the Icewind Dale New Game+ and that wasn't just bigger numbers but also new unique cooler items you couldn't get on the lesser difficulty.

Is that going to separate from Path of the Damned? Because I was looking forward to hating myself when I play PoD/Ironman/Expert first playthrough :spergin:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

This is true. Any dialog or world event, like a building crumbling or something, is great for acknowledging specific player behavior. Mechanically speaking though, the game shouldn't treat any approach differently from any other in terms of rewards provided.

This I agree with, along with CottonWolf's quote you quoted. Acknowledging player agency is one of the things a computer game can do really easily, if the dev decides to do it (which can be time consuming). It's a very rewarding feeling to have it happen, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Hey, Ropekid, any chance of another environmental video for the next update? Just a simple timelapse video would be cool. The environments are looking great and I'd love to see them in motion.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Drifter posted:

This I agree with, along with CottonWolf's quote you quoted. Acknowledging player agency is one of the things a computer game can do really easily, if the dev decides to do it (which can be time consuming). It's a very rewarding feeling to have it happen, though.
drat straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbtwVdC-oTQ

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Alpha Protocol style perks, will this be a thing?

This would be extremely awesome, though I don't know if they'd fit with the whole "Infinity Engine successor" theme. I enjoyed using lasers in New Vegas, and I was thrilled when the game said "oh you like lasers? Well since you've used them so much, have a critical chance boost!"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

This would be extremely awesome, though I don't know if they'd fit with the whole "Infinity Engine successor" theme.

I think they were actually mentioend near the end of the Kickstarter campaign by some dev in passing. Dunno if the idea was actually implemented, but I don't see how it doesn't fit the paradigm, considering the game also has stuff like locational reputations, no behind-the-scenes rounds, and a whole host of changes compared to the Infinity Engine games.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Hey, Ropekid, any chance of another environmental video for the next update? Just a simple timelapse video would be cool. The environments are looking great and I'd love to see them in motion.

Only the OEI devs would know, but given they said the next update would deal with classes I'd say that's unlikely. I'm hoping we'll get some sort of mini-videos showcasing the various classes abilities, but that's just wishful thinking, more realistically it's going to take a while until they show some gameplay again.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wingless posted:

I did not think making a general comment on reward structure in computer games would provoke such a weirdly snarky response.
The response was not intended to be snarky, but 100% sincere. If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game. There is one main thing we want to reward with XP in our game: pursuing and completing quests. Our quests are unique, they cannot be repeated, and they typically can be completed in a number of different ways using a number of different gameplay mechanics. If you get tired of talking to people to solve quests, start provoking fights. If you get tired of fighting, start sneaking around. If none of those things are fun anymore, then the game's not fun anymore. I don't want to motivate people to grit their teeth while using gameplay mechanics they hate because there's an XP incentive for doing so.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Players will play the way that they enjoy playing. If we judge that stealth is more interesting than combat or combat is more interesting than conversation and decide to alter the rewards players receive for engaging in that gameplay, we're putting two desires into conflict: 1) the desire to complete quests using the gameplay they enjoy and 2) the desire to achieve a maximally beneficial reward. I don't think that's a good conflict for us to set up because it often, demonstrably, results in players grinding through activities in ways they don't want to because the game incentivizes them to do so.

In-world reactions are something we will always emphasize because those reactions are purely for role-playing purposes. Sometimes the reactions are positive, sometimes they are negative, but they are intended to typically (though not always) align with the role the player sets out to play among the world's characters. If you're playing Alpha Protocol and Mike just starts blasting marines at the Embassy, I doubt players are negatively surprised by the reaction they get from other characters for it. You start blasting marines because of the reactions you're going to get!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Usage-based perks are horrible. Think of Oblivion and Skyrim and how crappy and "gamey" the whole thing was because everything you did counted toward character development, so ultimately players aiming for specific builds held back from a lot of otherwise natural behaviors because it would literally mess up their characters.

In my opinion all character development should happen because of direct spending of upgrade resources on the part of the player. That way, you're free in-game to do whatever you want with minimal meta-game consequences.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 16, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Usage-based perks are horrible. Think of Oblivion and Skyrim and how crappy and "gamey" the whole thing was because everything you did counted toward character development, so ultimately players aiming for specific builds held back from a lot of otherwise natural behaviors because it would literally mess up their characters.

In my opinion all character development should happen because of direct spending of upgrade resources on the part of the player. That way, you're free in-game to do whatever you want with minimal meta-game consequences.
Poorly done usage-based perks are terrible. Think of Alpha Protocol and its really sweet bonus system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

GreatGreen posted:

I would disagree, the only problem with the Oblivion/Skyrim system is that your levels were also tied into the enemy difficulty meaning that if someone hasn't focused on combat skills at all and instead has been focusing on stuff like non combat magic and smithing they will soon run into a massive difficulty spike and that tends to make the game much less fun.

The actual system of gaining skill levels as you use them is, IMO, still a pretty great system and works really well from a roleplaying perspective, the problems arise when non combat skills increase your general level and that general level is then tied into the monster difficulty because no matter how strong your alteration or enchanting skill is, it won't really help you kill the big bad guy any easier.

Of course, there is always the happy medium where points gained on level-up can be directly applied wherever you choose (or only applied to combat oriented skills) yet there are also crafting and other random skills that are increased by use.

• Locked thread