Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

barnold posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the 42" LG C2? I want it so bad. I have a 40" TCL 3-Series right now that is decent enough for regular gaming and TV watching but I'm looking to finally move up into the world of 4K. The C2 is undoubtedly the king of TVs, especially in that size range, but I've also looked at the significantly cheaper Sony X85J/X85K. 43" is really the maximum I'd consider as any more than that won't fit in my current setup. I really want that native 120HZ so I've more or less ruled out the cheaper LG/Sony offerings

120Hz isn't a mega dealbreaker and I could definitely live with 60Hz if there's a much more cost efficient and good looking option out there. But I got this TCL for almost free and haven't bought a TV on my own since I bought a 27" Westinghouse 720p panel like 13 years ago so I'm a little rusty

I wanted a 42” C2 too until I saw the price vs a 48” C1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I would totally get the 48" C1 but it literally will not fit. Yes, my setup is that tight that ~5in makes or breaks it. It physically will not fit in the limited space I have to put a TV (I work from home and I had to rearrange stuff to be able to fit my work setup). It would cost me a whole lot less to buy the C2 than it would conceivably cost me to move to a new apartment/house where I could fit a larger TV

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 10, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I get that, you work with what you have, not what you wish you had.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IDK, this is pretty cheap

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ToolPro-11-25-in-Drywall-Saw-with-Comfort-Grip-Handle-and-Carbon-Steel-Blade-TP02010/301329141

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's an open box 48" C1 on BB CAN for 999. Basically what I paid for my ROG Swift 8 years ago, still my primary display. Wonder what the life of that TV would be as a PC display

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
There are many YouTube videos that are just some guy saying I used a CX/C1/C2 as a computer monitor for X amount of months or years and here are my thoughts. Lots of variety there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

jisforjosh posted:

https://www.costco.com/lg-65%22-cla....100761679.html

I've been eyeballing a 65" LG C1 for a while now and heavily contemplating it every time I visit my local store. But now I'm at a crossroads.

Online and in stores it's $1599 but says the price expires 7/4/2022. Knowing that the C1 is a discontinued product from LG and stores are trying to clear existing stock, do I get it now or see if the price goes down for some 4th of July sale?

That's what I paid for mine a little while ago at Best Buy. So can't say that the price won't drop again, but that seems to have been the current "sale" level for some time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha my EF9500 got an update today. It’s an OLED from 2015. That was… unexpected. I’m sure it’s nothing beneficial to me, mind.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha my EF9500 got an update today. It’s an OLED from 2015. That was… unexpected. I’m sure it’s nothing beneficial to me, mind.

Holy hell, that’s what I’m rockin. Haven’t seen an update in forever,wish they could give us a newer os.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

High five fellow owner. Sounds like the update is a few weeks old, and just does better voice recognition. Not something I’ve ever used once personally!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

For anyone who doesn’t want to shell out for an oled, the nice looking tv I just bought for $800 (Hisense 75” quantum uled u6g ) is now $699 at Amazon. Bonus that the Amazon delivery people probably won’t drop it like Best Buy did to mine.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
alright ya bastards you got me....I originally was going to pick up a Sony X85K but then I was at Best Buy and there it was, an open box 48" LG C1. none new in box, but the guy said someone had bought this one, brought it home for a day, decided they wanted something a little bigger and brought it back. who knows, he was probably just saying that to entice me to buy it. but it worked

spent most of the rest of the day playing irl tetris moving poo poo around and just managed to eke out enough space for it. the left-facing edge I/O is a bit gross and fucks up the cable management but holy poo poo what a loving screen. it's like when I had astigmatism as a kid and put on a pair of glasses for the first time. I can see every pixel!!!! :eyepop:

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

barnold posted:

alright ya bastards you got me....I originally was going to pick up a Sony X85K but then I was at Best Buy and there it was, an open box 48" LG C1. none new in box, but the guy said someone had bought this one, brought it home for a day, decided they wanted something a little bigger and brought it back. who knows, he was probably just saying that to entice me to buy it. but it worked

The coveted open-box OLED with minimal hours on the set, no burn in, and no display flaws. Congratulations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Tacier posted:

The coveted open-box OLED with minimal hours on the set, no burn in, and no display flaws. Congratulations.

Total power on time is 17 hours according to the settings. I bet this can be reset but including the ~4 hours I've put on it today, it seems to support the guy's story. not too shabby

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
i'm still having the white snow and blackouts after I swapped my cables from the old 25' Amazon cables for the suggested Cable Matters 9.8ft cables. It's infrequent, maybe once per hour but it's pretty annoying. Any other suggestions I could look at? I originally switched from the nVidia Shield to the Apple TV 4K, now I swapped cables, i guess the only thing left is my TV. I don't really want to switch that out...

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Have you tried different HDMI ports on your TV? Or does it occur across all ports?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I have some 2017 Samsung 40" Black Friday TV that has a weird issue. The screen has developed a noticable pinkish splotch over the past few months. When I turn the TV on for the first time that day it's basically unnoticeable, but the longer the TV is on the more noticeable it gets and it can get very distracting after the TV is on for more than ~30-60 minutes.

The problem started around when I put a PS5 behind the TV. I eventually suspected it was some overheating issue (either the PS5 generating heat, or the PS5 trapping some of the TV's heat) but I moved the PS5 and it didn't make any difference. The back of the TV does feel kind of warm near the splotch but it's not like scorching hot or anything.

Anything I can do besides canned air near the vents?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's likely not a fixable issue. The backlight in that area has undergone a color shift which is tinting things. Either that, or the light diffuser has become warped which is shifting the light spectrum.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have a 55" Samsung of that era that's been developing very noticeable blue-tinted patches in the backlight. Reading around it seems to be a common failure of the Samsung backlights, made worse the longer they're on.

It started happening, obviously, when COVID started, and my wife got laid off and my kid was home and out of daycare. So the TV was on between 18-24h/day for pretty close to a year straight :classiclol:

Eventually I'll replace it, but I don't have time to sit and watch enough TV to care right now.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Ah well, thanks anyway. Yeah, I figured from Googling it was unsalvageable (at least I don't have one of the melting Samsung TVs) but the fact that the darkness/noticability of the splotch is always temporary gave me some hope.

As one last ditch effort I did play around a little bit over the past day to see if there is any patten in what makes the splotch worse. Roughly speaking, it seems that it gets much darker and pinker after ~30-60 minutes using a 4K Firestick, but then if I switch to cable or PS5 the splotch will slowwwwwly fade back to a less noticeable lighter gray over the course of about an hour. Is there any intuitive reason that the Firestick in particular could be making the problem worse? For what it's worth, we've had the Firestick for about 2 years and never had this issue until a few months ago.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have experience with Best Buy's open box TVs?

My oldish 50" Vizio finally shat the bed (has sound but no picture. New weird cluster of colored pixels show up on the bottom right when turned on) so I want to upgrade to a 65 OLED.

I could afford to buy new but ehhh, I'd rather use the money on house projects.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'll get back to you after delivery, installation and a week of viewing on the open-box 65" LG G1 I bought. The lack of feet isn't a hindrance for my usage, and it was $400 cheaper than the 65" LG C1.

I was also told by the manager of the store that according to his records that he showed me, it was bought and returned within a day by someone who wanted a larger television.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Oysters Autobio posted:

My dad who was an electronics technician passed away last year, and left behind a number of TVs. My mom still uses one that she's happy with and there's a really nice 4K OLED he got in 2019, and at least 3-4 other 4K TVs in unknown state of repair along with random parts that he was midway through either fixing to sell or I believe salvaging to replace the 4K OLED.

I've done some googling but couldn't quite find a good consensus on the viability of shipping a TV like this cross country. It has its original box and even receipt still, but this would be shipping in Canada from BC to ON.

Ive read some suggestions that shipping it is simply not a good idea because it just simply will get broken. But my mom isn't in any capacity still to sell it (even if I did all the work).

Given this TV is essentially "free" as a replacement for my existing one, what downsides are there to finding the most expensive and high insured shipping I can and using that? Obviously being naive here because I know nothing about shipping insurance but ostensibly if it breaks I'd eventually get some sort of reimbursement even if I have to jump a few hoops of bureacracy to claim it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really welcome, thanks.

Sorry to bump this but seems I got no responses after a few pages, sorry if this question doesn't really fit on topic but I couldn't find any sort of general thread about shipping stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original box would give me enough faith to try shipping it, personally. They go plenty far packed in those things.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

My old X850E had vertical blotches mainly visible with light colors on screen. Primary use purpose of the TV was watching hockey, so mostly white. Wasn't the worst ever, but I figure the original owner noticed and they figured the next one wouldn't. I got the 3 year warranty with the TV, so just before it was up I got it looked at and replaced with a new TCL 6 series. Always. Buy. Warranty. On. TVs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inzombiac posted:

At the height of Coronamania in 2020, I found a B9 floor model for about $1k.

The unit lacked a stand and remote. It had something like 500 hours of use. It was on for like 3/4 of the day for most of the remainder of 2020 and half of 2021, with various YouTube, Netflix shows and an assload of RDR2+FF7R.

So far I haven't seen any burn-in. My warranty tapped out last May so if it dies I'll have to replace it, but it's totally been a good pickup. Maybe I got lucky.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I mean I've only had it for a few days but everything has been absolutely lovely on my open-box C1 so far. this thing looks loving amazing. however I did not purchase the extended warranty on it at time of purchase so I just went back to the store and bought the 5yr plan for it.

codo27 posted:

Always. Buy. Warranty. On. TVs.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Ah well, thanks anyway. Yeah, I figured from Googling it was unsalvageable (at least I don't have one of the melting Samsung TVs) but the fact that the darkness/noticability of the splotch is always temporary gave me some hope.

As one last ditch effort I did play around a little bit over the past day to see if there is any patten in what makes the splotch worse. Roughly speaking, it seems that it gets much darker and pinker after ~30-60 minutes using a 4K Firestick, but then if I switch to cable or PS5 the splotch will slowwwwwly fade back to a less noticeable lighter gray over the course of about an hour. Is there any intuitive reason that the Firestick in particular could be making the problem worse? For what it's worth, we've had the Firestick for about 2 years and never had this issue until a few months ago.

In case anyone is reading this in the future and has a similar problem, I think I solved it. The short version is I think the HDR settings of the Firestick were causing the TV to overheat which would slowly cause the TV to darken/discolor in spots where there was already some existing Dirty Screen Effect. Fiddling with those settings seems to have mostly fixed the problem so the ugly splotches mostly stays unnoticable 99% of the time.

I was like one day away from ordering an OLED to replace it. I almost wish I didn't manage to fix it. :(

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm guessing this has been debated to death, but am i crazy for turning auto motion plus off (this is what samsung calls it, not sure about other brands) on anything and everything? also, does doing this hurt or help the tv in any way? i would imagine it's less strain on the processor and therefore more efficient, but that's it. also, are some tv brands/makes better or worse about this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Turn it off. Trying to alter the cadence of a video transport stream in real time will always lead to sub-optimal results.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
My open-box LG G1 is hung and working. TV settings page shows that it had been used for about two months.

It didn't come with the lg magic remote. The best buy technicians left me with two different LG remotes. One works completely, but lacks a Home button. lol

I ended up having to into my century link router and change the dns from theirs to google. After that, all of the LG app pages and updates worked correctly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

i'm guessing this has been debated to death, but am i crazy for turning auto motion plus off (this is what samsung calls it, not sure about other brands) on anything and everything? also, does doing this hurt or help the tv in any way? i would imagine it's less strain on the processor and therefore more efficient, but that's it. also, are some tv brands/makes better or worse about this?

People, including even some creators of movies & television consider the old fashioned way more natural simply because its what they are used to. Thats not reason enough for me to want to watch something in slow motion, I've had TVs with the feature for over 10 years and its been on the whole time. The more true to life motion far outweighs any artifacts for me, and those have become less and less with better quality source material.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh great, this again...

codo27 posted:

People, including even some creators of movies & television consider the old fashioned way more natural simply because its what they are used to.
It's literally the standard that films and poo poo are mastered in. There's good reasons why the 24fps thing exists given the current workflow and practices in the industries that use it.
You can look at the reviews of the first Hobbit film to see how High Frame Rate cinema made the shortcuts in props and sets glaringly obvious, or the Gemini Man reviews saying that the action scenes involving vehicles seemed to drag and the acting seemed more cardboard than usual. It's the same kind of adjustment period that HD needed before it could shine, likely.

Now, HFR games? Yeah, that works really well if the engines are built to handle them. FF7R, Horizon:FW, Death Stranding? I'll take all of those at a smooth 60FPS over 24.

Animation? Eh, maybe.

quote:

The more true to life motion far outweighs any artifacts for me, and those have become less and less with better quality source material.
You're saying that you're literally happy degrading the quality of image because it "feels" more true to life. It's a dumber statement than saying everything else is in slow motion ffs.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

What we need is more support for variable frame rate. I've seen some content switching between 120fps for panning shots and 24fps for dialogue scenes and that felt like the most natural way to watch anything. Could be refined further to find sweet spots for any kind of scene

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

What we need is more support for variable frame rate. I've seen some content switching between 120fps for panning shots and 24fps for dialogue scenes and that felt like the most natural way to watch anything. Could be refined further to find sweet spots for any kind of scene

You could just have the movie play at 120FPS and repeat each frame 5 times for the 24FPS scenes if you really wanted to do this.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Does anyone have experience with 75" tvs in the just above basement level quality?

2 I'm looking at are the hisense U6G and tcl 5 series.

I currently have a 55" tcl 4 series I've been pretty happy with.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

HONKER24 posted:

Are there any goons running super long HDMI cables for their set-up? I'm talking 25 feet (7.62 meters) or more.

I'm curious if that's working well or has any caveats in real-world scenarios as having my consoles in a different room would mean better protection from my kid and others while not forgoing proper ventilation.

Thanks

I ran a 25 foot hdmi cable. I don’t remember how expensive it was but it was very thick and expensive compared to a regular hdmi cable. It did work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Does anyone have experience with 75" tvs in the just above basement level quality?

If you're happy with the 4 you wont go wrong with either of those. Overthinking is for overspending.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just bought an "excellent" open box LG G1. Gonna snag a 5 year warranty as well.
Hopefully it's worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

codo27 posted:

If you're happy with the 4 you wont go wrong with either of those. Overthinking is for overspending.

As someone also looking at that tier and size, are there any concerns for long term durability for things like TCL and Hisense? I suspect the video quality will be more than sufficient for our Netflix and YouTube usage, so my only real concerns are actual build quality for something that (relatively) inexpensive.

We've had the same decent but not amazing 47" LG for over 10 years, but I have no idea if that kind of lifespan is unusual or not.