Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Merry Magpie posted:

Having come back to this game after almost a decade, I recently discovered that attacking Elminster at level 1 can have dire consequences. *cue Benny Hill*

You'd think that just because you're the spawn of a god you can take on the most powerful magic user in existence, but Syvishtar(a) is having a hard enough time bandits and low-level monsters.

drat genetics, Syvishtar(a) must have gotten the recessive genes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Brainamp posted:

You'd think that just because you're the spawn of a god you can take on the most powerful magic user in existence, but Syvishtar(a) is having a hard enough time bandits and low-level monsters.

To be fair, the "most powerful magic user in existence" seems intent on whacking me with a wooden staff rather than calling upon his nigh limitless magical power.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

It's a special kind of insult when a DnD 2nd edition mage chooses to melee you.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tax Refund posted:

Where in the world is that from? Because I think I want to watch that movie now.

Dragons Forever. And yes, you do want to watch it, because it has Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, AND Yuen Biao. On top of that guy who has a few slick moves himself.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

jng2058 posted:

I think the best solution is to bring along every character who doesn't recur in BG2. If they die, they stayed dead. If they survived, they were so appalled by the carnage or felt the mission was complete or whatever so they left the area.

I will agree to any solution if and only if it includes a vanguard. One man in all the Sword Coast who alone has the balls, the skills, and the personality to go up against all the endgame bosses at once, and heroically draw their fire so that Syvishtara may live.

There can be only one.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Merry Magpie posted:

To be fair, the "most powerful magic user in existence" seems intent on whacking me with a wooden staff rather than calling upon his nigh limitless magical power.

Apparently you can kill Drizzt by attacking him with a bow across a lake, and the AI can't path him close enough to actually attack you. Apparently legendary rangers can't swim? :raise:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ETB posted:

Apparently you can kill Drizzt by attacking him with a bow across a lake, and the AI can't path him close enough to actually attack you. Apparently legendary rangers can't swim? :raise:

There is at least 2 mods that exist just to fix this. Draw your own conclusions.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I think it only worked if you turned the pathfinding way down, anyway.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

ETB posted:

Apparently you can kill Drizzt by attacking him with a bow across a lake, and the AI can't path him close enough to actually attack you.
Heavy use of animate dead always did the trick for me. Just give him ridiculous rolling clouds of ablative skeleton targets to carve through while you safely whittle him down from afar. No AI trickery required.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

I will agree to any solution if and only if it includes a vanguard. One man in all the Sword Coast who alone has the balls, the skills, and the personality to go up against all the endgame bosses at once, and heroically draw their fire so that Syvishtara may live.

There can be only one.

But with that guy's stats he would die in--oh.

Oh.

I guess I can get behind this, provided it doesn't take much to bribe him.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

Vorgen posted:

Wait, so nobody cares about guessing who's who in this image?

Syvishtara, the rats rodents in the walls are speaking. They sing of your horde, they chortle about your mob.

They laugh and chitter and chant
CluaConsole:CreateCreature("Boo")

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Sejs Cube posted:

Heavy use of animate dead always did the trick for me. Just give him ridiculous rolling clouds of ablative skeleton targets to carve through while you safely whittle him down from afar. No AI trickery required.

This was basically my strategy for every major fight in the game. I hoarded wands of monster summoning like Vorgen hoards NPCs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

A Wand of Monster Summoning can do the meat shield work of several NPCs, and at a fraction of the cost! Buy yours today, only at Sorcerous Sundries, opposite the Elfsong in Baldur's Gate East.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I think I saw a wand of monster summoning in one of the stores at the Friendly Arm Inn. It was about 100,000 gold.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

sebzilla posted:

A Wand of Monster Summoning can do the meat shield work of several NPCs, and at a fraction of the cost! Buy yours today, only at Sorcerous Sundries, opposite the Elfsong in Baldur's Gate East.

Yeah...

I don't think we'll be getting there any time soon.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Yeah...

I don't think we'll be getting there any time soon.

It's cool, you can find them just lying around if you know where to look.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My biggest biff with BG2 was nerfing the living poo poo out of summoned monsters and charm spells, even though both became progressively less useful just by the nature of the game.

happinessSam
Jun 18, 2004

You have three guesses and the first two don't count.
I've just found this thread and I've been making my way through it. It's great nostalgic fun and I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to catching up so I can take part/give my input on decisions.

Just to let you know you're missing a link to chapter 3 51 days 11 hours: Parsley, sage rosemary and... in the first post
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435303&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post396689015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Xander77 posted:

My biggest biff with BG2 was nerfing the living poo poo out of summoned monsters and charm spells, even though both became progressively less useful just by the nature of the game.

Pretty much, although if you're solo-ing the game as a caster, you'll probably get a lot of mileage out of various summons.
Animate Dead is great throughout, though. Particularly once you're able to summon Skeleton Warriors.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Pretty much, although if you're solo-ing the game as a caster, you'll probably get a lot of mileage out of various summons.
Animate Dead is great throughout, though. Particularly once you're able to summon Skeleton Warriors.

Those dudes were tough as nails. I got mileage out of them even in SoA's final battle.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Sooo is this a new thing or am I behind the times?

http://baldursgate.com/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's new but nobody seems to know what the gently caress.

Discussion is ongoing in the general BG thread in Games.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

kingturnip posted:

Mordenkainen's Sword sword is useful even in ToB.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unfortunately, Spellhold Studios (the host site for Big World Project, among others) is currently down.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Teddles posted:

Apologies if I've missed something, but the table of contents hasn't been updated for the new chapters.

happinessSam posted:

I've just found this thread and I've been making my way through it. It's great nostalgic fun and I'm really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to catching up so I can take part/give my input on decisions.

Just to let you know you're missing a link to chapter 3 51 days 11 hours: Parsley, sage rosemary and... in the first post
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435303&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post396689015

Thanks guys, I've updated the OP with the these added.

sebzilla posted:

It's new but nobody seems to know what the gently caress.

Discussion is ongoing in the general BG thread in Games.

I know that Bhaal Seal graphic is higher quality than anything else I was ever able to find before. I've updated the icons in the OP with this:

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 20, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok, here's the key for the image:

1. Thorfinn Hauskluniff
2. Bjornin
3. Will Scarlet O'Hara
4. Rose
5. Finch
6. Gavin
7. Bub Snikt
8. Kivan
9. Mur'neth
10. Branwen
11. Syvishtara
12. Imoen
13. Xan
14. Garrick
15. Edwin
16. Kagain
17. Shar-Teel
18. Viconia
19. Jaheira
20. Khalid
21. Tiax
22. Eldoth
23. Montaron
24. Xzar
25. Minsc
26. Dynaheir

I'll be posting another update here pretty soon.

Edit: I've revised my own personal biography, if you're interested:

Syvishtara: It's me! A young, impetuous level 4 elf Wild Mage who knows quite a few level 1 and level 2 spells. The Monk is always out to keep me down, but he can't handle the wild magic. In fact, the only monk whose words I ever listened to was Gorion. I would describe myself as being all about freedom, art, and the whims of the voices in my head [that's you!]. The mages at Candlekeep told me that magic was a precise discipline needing an iron will and complete dominance, but I know that they're wrong. Spellcasting is actually a partnership. Together the Magic and I do a little dance, make a little love, and really, you know, weave, man! I have a cat familiar. I made a promise to myself long ago that I would never pass up a chance to sleep with anything female. Now that I'm a woman myself, not only will I keep that promise, but I will also be open to a little sweet romance from a man or two. I have learned much about myself through conversations with my fellow adventurers. I have confessed to liking heroic ballads and funny, easy to remember tunes. I also cannot whistle, something which Imoen has always made fun of. I have discovered that the voices in my head have little patience for long, drawn-out emotional dialogues, even with fellow elves. I realized that I never had time for a hobby growing up - my studies were my life in Candlekeep. I mostly studied histories. When I wasn't studying, I was touring the taverns with Imoen. I have confessed to not really caring much about religion, although after a bad experience with Ajantis I have a bit of an aversion to paladins in general, and Helmites in particuar. Gavin is a pretty great guy, though, and he is a cleric of Lathander. I would like to make the world work together in harmony, but I don't know how to do that. I am attracted to the idea of big cities and exciting times, but I do not know when I will get to see them. I have developed an obsession with Rhialto's spellbook, for it gives me hidden, and forbidden knowledge about the weave. I have realized that I am always questioning myself about every decision that I make - I'm almost needlessly paranoid. Finally, I pay very close attention to the effects of wild magic, because that's how the magic speaks to me. I have learned many lessons from the wisdom of the weave. I originally thought that the weave never wanted me to cast crowd control spells - it wanted me to just go straight for the kill. But now, I think it only wants me to not abuse them by casting them on non-crowds. The magic has also taught me that I should never cast at frightened, panicked opponents; I should only attack those attacking me. I'm starting to suspect that the weave thinks I should not cast Burning Hands, ever; it has never worked correctly. Finally, the magic seems to not like me using a bow, and prefers me to use my staff in melee. I gave my bow to Edwin, and have been using the Serpent Shaft in melee to the best of my ability. I haven't died yet! Lately, I've started calling out to Rhialto in times of need. His spellbook always saves me, and his spells always shield me. Praise him! Even though he attacked me in order to extract my spleen in what would have been an undoubtedly painful few hours of surgery, now that he is defeated he is taking an almost divine place within my mind. He was mad, of course, but he was also an absolute genius, and knew the Weave better than anyone else I've ever met. He left me his holy book and I shall study it forever and ever, amen. While in the Nashkel mines, I experienced terrifying visions of paths not taken connected by a great and ancient tree. Even more people tried to kill me in these visions, and I saw my life's past going by with strange and unusual turns. Now I seem to have two memories of what has come before, and do not know which one to believe. I am also completely golden, head to toe, clothes included. I am losing faith in this tenuous illusion of reality we see around us, which is a totally unrelated and unexpected development. With Voices, the Weave, alternate realities, and the guilt of fallen comrades all weighing heavily in my mind, its a wonder I am still sane pane blane! Losing absolutely all of my companions in a several-day-long battle against amazonian mercenary bounty hunters has deeply shocked and humbled me. I now wonder if I can survive at all. I switched our focus to hunting bandits in Larswood. After a few missteps and one more party member dead to poison, I found myself fighting Osmadi the druid, who had just poisoned Kagain. I, Tiax, and Gavin all moved to heal him at the same time. My Healing Touch twisted in my hand, though, and the magic turned upon me, changing the most fundamental aspects of my being. I am... I am now a woman. This is going to take some getting used to. After about a week of rest and adjustment to my new form, I feel much more confident. It is as if the cares and worries of my male self have washed away, and been replaced with more important things. I am currently on a rampage of vengeance against all mine enemies!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2012

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vorgen posted:

Ok, here's the key for the image:

Cool, I got most of them right.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

14 Eleint, 1369

I've been reading through my old journal entries. Kinda silly to keep a journal if you don't go back and read them, right? And yet, it's been 4 months since I left Candlekeep and this is the first time I've read the whole thing cover to cover. The thought that came to me the most when reading the entries was that I was a naive little boy. What the hell was I thinking, casting Color Spray at my friends during parties? That poo poo is dangerous! And I felt like I knew so much about everything back in Candlekeep. I come across as pretty much the master of my domain - tricking monks, talking down to Imoen, mouthing off to injured knights - I could have just slapped myself. I used to be so insufferably happy. I had no idea that real life would involve so much death, so much killing spilling grilling of mine enemies. But there's no getting around it, I must become better at killing if I'm ever able to get anywhere in this life. I must become immune to death, to not miss a breath when my companions spill their blood in the mud with a thud. I am reminded of Xzar's playing, when he fez "I am become death, destroyer of worlds!" He has the right idea, if not the power to back it up. I must also become another death, the foyer of twirls. I must pirouette mine enemies and leave none to stand in one place. They will all dance before me!

We spend the night at Thalantyr's place. He doesn't seem to mind. I guess in this place of relative safety, under the protection of the mage Kivan knows well and where we first met him, Kivan finally feels safe enough to unload a little of what has been on his mind these many months.

Hearing that touches my womanly heart.

You miss her so much, Kivan. I wish there could be something...

My gentle friend... you have done so much for me and so subtly already. Your friendship is the finest thing that happened to me since I was separated from Deheriana.

*blush* I am only doing what I would have done for *any* friend...

I know, arwen en amin... my lady. You honor me with your friendship.

Xan doesn't seem to feel so safe here, though.

I think that we are relatively safe and guarded here. But you can spend the night awake, if you want.

Then I will not be able to recite my spells, and doom will befall us in the morning. Guards or not, our lives are forfeit. We cannot deceive the Fates.

It is the truth. We are most open to injury and death when we enter the reverie and reflect on the past. I often think how ironic it is, that I am most insecure while lingering on the moments spent in Evereska, my city and my home.

Ah, the chance you will see it in the waking world is vanishingly small. But would you like ot share my memories of it?

What do you mean?

So, Gorion did not tell you. A sharing of minds is natural among our kin. Your mother communed with you before you were even born. Words cannot describe it; that is something you have to experience for yourself.

Take my hand, and we shall walk among the ever-shifting sands of Anauroch and arched bridges of Evereskan Vale. You will see a majestic place, where the forest becomes one with the sky. My home... Sometimes I wish it were in my power to remain within the memory for good.

Gameplay note: Ok, what are we Vulcans now?

It is my first time to try reverie, what I heard Kivan describe and what I have seen Xan do. It is eye-opening. Now I know why I have been so restless laying down in a bed all these many years! Xan and I kneel by the fire, and stay there all night. He shows me wonders beyond my wildest dreams.

And here I thought you would cheer up after seeing your homeland in your reverie.

Evereska will fall. All the might and magic I see every night will be for naught. The city is an island among the gathering armies, and eventually the darkness will flood it. I cherish the thought of returning home, but here, in the waking world, I know I will find only ruins and desolation. The puny mission I am striving to complete is a drop in the ocean compared to the perils my city will soon face. Over the years, I have seen the pressure increase, and now I am waiting for the blow to fall.

Why are you here, then? You should return to Evereska and defend your home.

I do not have a choice in the matter. I must proceed with my task, instead.

I got used to the fact that nothing could help my city, but every morning the terror comes anew. And it is not alone: it now comes together with the thought of dying. Before meeting you, I was aware that one of my missions would become the last. Today, I know this one is. Sooner or later, my magic will fail, and the bounty hunters will wipe us out. We're all doomed.

I leave to go freshen up then, and run into Kivan. He also has a troubled look on his face, as normal. But this time he wants to talk about it.

It might be because of that look on your face, Kivan. You... do not seem alive.

Syvishtara, I can never forget one thing. When the orcs had surrounded us, I had my dagger pressed against Deheriana's neck. But I hesitated, and I lost my chance to save her.

Kivan! Listen to me. What if you had killed her, and then there was a chance for both of you to escape? Kivan, death is irreversible. You did the right thing by staying your hand!

Syvishtara, if I had another moment, she would have died by my hand, and I would have followed her. You know what happened, instead? She begged the beasts for mercy... to spare me.

Tazok found it comical and ordered me beaten in front of Deheriana, and pretended that her pleas might touch his heart. If only she tried a little harder...

But I was weak; at length I fainted. When I came back... When I came back...

She was lying on the ground, or at least what once was her was lying there - a misshapen piece of flesh, torn, cut, burned... Tazok was wearing a fresh pair of elven ears on his necklace - he told me that it was a trophy for the one who takes the first turn...

Gameplay note: I think I need to show you what options I have for dialogue here. #5 WTF?

Kivan, please, stop it! STOP IT!

What, are you not entertained by listening to my past any longer?

How can you say that! I just... I cannot see you reliving this nightmare all over again. Please, Kivan, why are you doing this to yourself?

I do not seek absolution. I would like to know what another living being thought about my doom. That day... once I saw that Deheriana was left untouched while they concentrated their efforts on me, it became my only goal to keep awake and be entertaining enough as a victim.

The world became a blur, but I was forcing myself on my feet after each hit, I was yelling until my lips would not move. When Tazok was finally bored by the spectacle, he ordered Deheriana killed. As soon as her lifeless body hit the ground, my spirit left me too. They left both of us for dead. But I did not die. Why?

Gameplay note: Again I think I need to show the available options. You can tell him that he deserves his suffering, and you can also tell him that he is still Tazok's plaything. drat those are harsh.

Maybe you are wrong? Maybe it was Deheriana's love that returned you to life, not the will of Shevarash? You have done what you could to protect her, ranger. Have your revenge, if you must, but I think that was not what Deheriana meant for you.

Why would Deheriana want me to walk Toril without her by my side? Thank you, Syvishtara, for the sweet words, but if Deheriana forgave me my weakness, she would be waiting for me in Arvanaith even now, hoping, like me, that my duty to Shevarash will not take much longer. Shevarash will not let me depart until I redeem myself by avenging my wife.

I am surrounded by pain and misery, my elven brethen talking of doom and pain and loss; vengeance and downfall. What a world I live in? What can I do in this valley of the shadow of death?

*Xan looks over your garments, covered with blood and grime after the last battle, and his lips go white.* Syvishtara, may I ask you not to risk yourself needlessly?

Xan, I am trying my best as it is.

You are? Ah, but of course. That was a naive question of me to ask. It was absurd even to suggest you have any influence on the matter. But how I wish you had...

We pack up and leave. When we step outside, it is still the darkness of the early morning.

I thought you were from Evereska! Where are these Greycloak Hills?

Greycloak Hills were once called Tomb Hills. They are located north of Evereskan Mountains, and were settled by the elves of Evereska to protect the borders from many banshees who lurked there.

I remember hearing about it now. But rumors said that was not banshees, but the treasures of the Fallen Kingdom hidden in the tombs in those Hills that made the elves make the move.

This, Syvishtara, I cannot discuss with you.

*sigh* What about these Walkers? Are they some sort of a secret, as well?

They are golems conjured from the magic mists surrounding the Hills, and each of them can crush our group effortlessly. Fortunately, they serve with the Greycloak's patrols, not fight against us.

Magic mist? What for? I understand a mage or a priest conjuring rain during drought, or a wizard who breaks up the clouds when he does not want his robes soaked... but a mist?

The magical mist in the Greycloak Hills wards off the intruders and blocks certain enchantments. The mist here does naught but hide our foes... Be wary, Syvishtara, our doom is near.

Sometimes, Xan is a drag. I just have to admit that to myself now. I lead my party back to Beregost, and we wander around for a bit. I contemplate attacking those mercenaries sieging the Song of the Morning Temple, but I'd like to get some more practice together as a group first. There should be another place that we can go to get some fighting experience...

We travel to the Red Canyons without incident. When we get there, Trungle greets us. Was he expecting us?

He is selling some pretty cheap Antidotes at 300 gold each, so we buy two. We will probably run into a lot more spiders here soon. Then we make camp and sleep without incident. In the morning...

*His cool fingers briefly touch your neck, brushing away something you cannot see. It flashes past, and as you glance down, you see a twig lying on the ground. While you stare at it, Xan carefully rearranges your hair back in place and resumes walking.*

Hmm, I wonder where that came from? Oh well. The plan is to keep going west, and head for the coast. I heard there were sirens and other wonders out there. But as we begin to make our way west, Branwen spots some orc archers!

I don't wanna mess around with these guys this time. I summon the Wild Horde while Branwen buffs up Xan.

The bunnies give us the cover and confusion we need to be most effective. Xan shows just what he's made of by getting the first kill.

Branwen is able to take the second one out with a bullet. The third is focusing on hitting a random bunny.

The bunnies are unsummoned as we all close in on the third archer, but it's ok. Their work is done here.

The third one is taken out by Kivan. We are doing well together today!

They had some Arrows of Ice and Arrows +2 on them. Both go to Kivan.

About halfway across the area we encounter more orcs. This time, an orc priest accompanies them.

Branwen thinks it's a good time to give us Aid. She gives it to Xan, myself, and her.

Then we move in. I note that the orc goes into a barbarian rage, which sounds pretty dangerous. I tell everybody to target him first.

Our first attacks go pretty well, although Branwen eats an arrow as well.

The orc, in his rage and fury, rushes at Xan. Xan, with his Moonblade and the Shield of the Falling Stars, meets him. I get flashbacks to the last time Xan faced down a raging orc - he died. It is probably on his mind too. Why then does he not look scared?

I decide to borrow a page out of Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen's playbook and reach through Nahal's for Blindness. I throw it at him.

The Weave surges through me and pours out of my fingertips, much stronger than a simple Blindness spell would warrant. As Kivan kills the berserker, the orc priest gets off his last spell and then... simply stops moving. But so does Xan.

I almost shout in jubilation, but a second later the Orc priest begins to cast another spell. I guess it didn't stick? A ninja-to suddenly appears sticking out of the orc priest's back, and then Imoen appears holding it. I guess she didn't want to take any chances with him? Despite that, he manages to get another spell off, and I am Held.

Kivan makes sure to negate whatever advantage the orcs had by straight up killing the priest in one hit.

And also, the very next round, he murderizes the orc archer too.

Imoen finds a magical cloak on the orc priest, but we cannot identify it right now. We'll have to wait until tomorrow. Despite our definite victory, Xan doesn't seem happy with the way things went.

I have yet to see any more efficient solutions to life's problems, oh depressive elf. Mayhap 'tis possible for you to charm all those who would wish us harm into being our friends, instead? Corpses can't be dispelled.

When one is in acquaintance to this party, one does not need enemies. *sighs* Their chances of survival *against* us is much better than with us.

Branwen doesn't really have time to ponder this, however, because she is distracted by something with her armor.

We manage to make it the rest of the way through the Red Canyons without any more orcs stopping us, and prepare for the longer journey ahead of us. When I lived in Candlekeep they often spoke of the lighthouse to the south of the castle, and I've always wanted to see it. Now, we will!

We arrive without incident. And, of course, we have to make camp first. It definitely was a long journey.

After sleeping, we begin to make our way to the lighthouse in the distance. We can see it towering over the trees. But partway there we run into a nice old lady.

Poor lad. I think we should go help him. It reminds me of when we were kids in Candlekeep, and you'd run away scared of the dogs, when they'd bark.

Honestly, cannot you people take care of yourselves? Has the brat not been taught to hold a sword, at least? This display of abject cowardice against mere worgs is pathetic.

On my honor as a ranger I swear that we will do our best to draw away the worgs, my good woman.

Oh, please help him!

Before we can go to the worgs' location, however, Xan turns to me.

Well, you were not far from truth in your suggestions. I doubt my mysterious opponent will spare the lives of my companions.

Yes, as I said before. Nevertheless, it is no excuse.

I think you do not fully understand the danger you are in. Gorion has been sheltering you for as long as you remember, and now, after several lucky encounters, you probably think it will last. But believe me, you are not invincible.

I am aware of the danger. But will musing on it bring a new perspective?

We are all doomed, but you can delay the hour of your death by foreseeing the danger, and predicting your enemies' actions. If you do not rush into the fray, you will live a moment longer. Do not throw the opportunity away. Burying you in the wilderness is not something I look forward to.

Neither do I look forward to dying before my time. I am careful, Xan. Very careful.

Then, perhaps, we shall live to see another day. A year ago, I would have said "we shall survive to the end of your quest," but now, alas, I know better.

How can I convince this elf that I'm not going to die in the next fight? We approach the lighthouse and see the worgs. I very carefully stay back as Kivan rushes in to try to tame one of them.

It doesn't work. So he just rushes away and murders it instead.

I very carefully only enter melee after Xan engages the worgs. Kivan very carefully destroys a second worg just like the first.

And finally Kivan very carefully kills the third worg. Why are the rest of us here again?

Now wasn't there supposed to be a kid around here somewhere?

Eh? What is this? We heard the sounds of fighting, and here I see three dead wolves and... what? What is your purpose here, stranger?

I would ask the same of you. I was told a boy had been trapped here by these creatures.

Ah, so that would explain this little lad's abrupt entry into our home, here. It's a good thing you arrived when you did.

What did you say your name was again? Brandon?

Brennan, sir. I... I... I just... I want my mum!

I will take you to your mother, child. Come along.

Then you'll be off, will you? Take care. We'll get back to our business.

Mind you don't get cornered by sirines, either. Worthless wretches make my life out here a living hell.

Sirines? So the stories are true!

*Xan is drawing something on a page torn out of his spellbook. Judging by the wayward glances he throws at you now and then, you can easily guess the nature of this sketch.*

We immediately return the boy to his mother.

O, sorry for scarin' your son an' all, ma'am. Hope he's alright! Ya tell him that some adventurers do good things, like helpin' other folk in need.

My friend, it was a noble deed. I wish that more people were as ready as you to lend a helping hand to the small folk.

Take this, and thank you!

Most of my companions seem to approve of what we have accomplished here today.

I'm kinda intrigued about what that guy said about sirines, so I go back to ask him some more questions.

You mentioned sirines. Why should I be so wary of them?

As you've no doubt found in these untamed lands, each valley, forest, mountain, or plain has its own set of beasties. Around here, that monster is the sirine.

They don't listen to reason, and they attack without hesitation. It's hard to make a living when their sort are around, but what can one do but keep fighting the good fight?

I thought this place was abandoned. What exactly are you doing here?

I work for a shipping company that trades along the Sword Coast and further south. The tariffs in Baldur's Gate are too high for them, though, so they anchor their ships out to sea here and I and my crew row out to refit and resupply them.

It is a meager living, but an honest one.

As interesting as this is, I have no more time for it. Farewell.

As I'm talking with this guy, Imoen seems to fade from view and finds a room in the back. It has nothing but food, though. Boring.

She does snag something good on the way out, though, a +1 sling.

We check out the lighthouse, but it is bare.

But the building to the left is much more intriguing.

There is nothing but an old chainmail in the corner, but there is a stairway leading down... it takes us to a basement.

We find a few gold and some throwing axes down there. Imoen decides that now is a good time to identify that orc cloak we got off the healer.

It is almost completely disgusting, and I don't think anybody here wants to wear it. We stick it on the mule. With nothing else to do, we go searching through the rest of the immediate area.

*Branwen reaches out her hand and strokes your forearm, feeling your biceps.* You are a strong warrior. I respect that.

*She winks and presses close to you for a moment, before walking away.*

That woman does strange things to me. And immediately after that, all hot and bothered, I run into Safana.

Maybe if you told us your name and problem we could help you.

My name is Safana and I can make all of you richer than any of you could imagine. I know where the pirate Black Alaric dumped his greatest trove of treasure. Looking at the dynamic and intelligent men before me, I know you'd want to join me in a venture to get this treasure.

What am I, chopped liver?

A lost treasure, huh? We're interested.

The reason I need so many heroic men is that the caverns where I wish to go are guarded by some sort of creature; which kind I couldn't tell you. If you help me, I'll let you share in the treasure. I may be grateful in other ways, as well.

We agree.

Ohh, thank you, you won't regret your decision. I know that powerful heroes like you will easily push through any obstacles in our path. Well, we should be foff then. From what my map showed, the pirate cove is located somewhere along the coast, just south of Candlekeep.

Gameplay note: And with that, she offers to join our party. Let's take a look at her. She is, of course, a Treasure Hunter, which is a thief kit!

She also has a Charm Person spell called Flirt. It works exactly the same as Imoen's Charm Person. All in all a solid thief.

What should we do with this oversexed thief?

1. We should send her back to the Jovial Juggler for later.
2. We should take her on temporarily and do her treasure hunt, then send her away.
3. We should take her on as a permanent member of the party.

If you answered 2 or 3, who should she replace?
A. Replace Xan. He's not nearly as sexy.
B. Replace Branwen. She's not nearly as sexy.
C. Replace Imoen. Imoen is charming, yes, but she doesn't hunt treasure professionally.
D. Replace Kivan. Killshots aside, the guy is suicidal. It's such a drag.
E. Replace Mur'neth. He's kindof a lump in the party right now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
2, E

Looks like Treasure Hunter is a Thief kit entirely dedicated to dungeon crawling.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2, E. I didn't even notice we had Mur'neth in our party until the poll.

Is Safana romanceable? I'd be quite eager to read some of her "flirts", considering they'd have to be even more sultry and hormonal than Branwen's.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
2, E Mur'neth is :effort:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

2E I have no idea why so many people voted for that slime

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.
2, E

Mur'neth is kind of not going anywhere at the moment. If he hadn't crabbed about that reputation gain it would have been easy to not notice he was there at all.

Also, unrelated but needs to be said, the Vulcan mind-meld thing was dumb. No, Xan, no it is not natural among your kin.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
When we send Safana back bring Minsc into the party instead of Mur'neth

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jay Rust posted:

Is Safana romanceable? I'd be quite eager to read some of her "flirts", considering they'd have to be even more sultry and hormonal than Branwen's.

No. She and Coran will have a thing if you keep them both in the party.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

JT Jag posted:

2, E

Looks like Treasure Hunter is a Thief kit entirely dedicated to dungeon crawling.

Agreed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JT Jag posted:

2, E

Second this

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Xan posted:

I wish to say goodbyes, for it is possible neither of us will survive the night.

:allears: Never change, Xan.

I'd rather just kill Safana and take her stuff, but that would be against the spirit of things so I guess we should do her quest. :sigh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy Mystra and Sune the sheer amount of :emo: is just staggering.
Not to mention the flirting texts are getting kinda creepy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

re: choice 2, E

re; that baldurs gate site that's shown up, I had a look at the source that was remarkably non forthcoming, that being said, the following appeared on the comments.

<!-- January 19, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->
<!-- Kick em in the Bhaals! -->

• Locked thread