Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Daryl Surat posted:

That includes a The Bigger the Better Suppressor with Silent Killer Aced and Auto Fire mods. Virtually identical except for Rate of Fire and Accuracy (that damage difference doesn't significantly alter your Shots to Kill). As such, I wouldn't recommend using the Auto Fire mod with the Kobus due to the accuracy penalty. Without that, the Kobus does 30 damage and a very respectable 16 accuracy. You'd be able to toggle it between single and auto too, which due to the RoF I'd probably keep at single for all occasions until a Bulldozer is called out. Interestingly enough, the Para's accuracy is at 18 with the Auto Fire mod and 18 without it, so that's basically a free damage/stability buff.
Not having suppressor skills myself, the problem with the Para is that it has a frankly ridiculous amount of threat with Funnel of Fun on. With the p90's lower threat and better DPS, I don't have to waste so much time playing whack-a-mole with the Tans.

Might be a dumb question, but have you tried the Mp7? Seems like it should be able to hit slightly higher damage with a suppressor, albeit with mediocre accuracy. When it's set up loud I like it even better than the p90, but that ammo pool is a killer for some missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Coolguye posted:

I'm curious: can you use these things as cover? It seems like it would be kind of interesting if a shield blocked a door, and all of a sudden you could stand in the doorway, phasing in and out of the shield to take potshots at the cops.

Since you can't shoot through them it seems like it would make sense, but I am not sure how that would actually work out in practice.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure I've been shot through shields while they were blocking a doorway before. Don't quote me on that though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I love it when guns are loving ridiculous looking, my deagle has the monolith suppressor the extended mag and the long slide and it looks like some retarded American fever dream.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I love it when guns are loving ridiculous looking, my deagle has the monolith suppressor the extended mag and the long slide and it looks like some retarded American fever dream.

They actually tried to market a Desert Eagle carbine to police at one point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Found an Election Day 2 gently caress You: A machine can spawn on top of a tower, in the middle of a section, and you need to sprint jump from the second floor.

There's a potential one in each side wing and occasionally one in the main storage area (don't have to jump to that one, though), but these are the kind of problems you want to have. AFAIK, guards don't notice machines up there, outside of a rare post-hack behavior where they'll super jump up to the crate, kick it once, then hop back down and go about their business. I'll gladly take a fiddly jump over a number of other crate locations.

C.M. Kruger posted:

They actually tried to market a Desert Eagle carbine to police at one point.

Holy gently caress I want this.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Did somebody say skills? No, of course you didn't. But there's like 37 skills hidden in the game files that aren't accessible but.. seem to be functional. Some could be for new infamy bonuses.. One example of a skill: if you have "player_melee_kill_snatch_pager_chance" and bonk a guard, there's a 25% chance to not have to answer a pager.

Speaking of which:

Adding brand new skills in the tree seems to be crashtastic (but then again I'm really poo poo at coding so it's more likely I just suck and don't know how the code works) but I sure can add hidden skill effects to existing skills (and tweak other stuff)! For example, this skill, "player_carry_sentry_and_trip". Just added it to Endurance Ace. I can now take Sentry Gun without being a terrible terrible player, as after I plop it down, the game gives me my trip mines. Vice-versa also applies: take the mines, when you hit 0, it throws you the Sentry Gun! :dance:

There are no skill descriptions in the game for each hidden effect, so I'll be tinkering around with stuff and writing up descriptions to be placed in that "bonus description" (hello hello hello) in the above image, as well as figuring out what skills to add the bonus effects to.

I can make Dead Presidents not suck since there's a perk for increasing bag loot (and also a perk for making you go 2% faster for each secured bag?!).

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 14, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

maketakunai posted:

Did somebody say skills? No, of course you didn't. But there's like 37 skills hidden in the game files that aren't accessible but.. seem to be functional. Some could be for new infamy bonuses.. One example of a skill: if you have "player_melee_kill_snatch_pager_chance" and bonk a guard, there's a 25% chance to not have to answer a pager.

Speaking of which:

Adding brand new skills in the tree seems to be crashtastic (but then again I'm really poo poo at coding so it's more likely I just suck and don't know how the code works) but I sure can add hidden skill effects to existing skills (and tweak other stuff)! For example, this skill, "player_carry_sentry_and_trip". Just added it to Endurance Ace. I can now take Sentry Gun without being a terrible terrible player, as after I plop it down, the game gives me my trip mines. Vice-versa also applies: take the mines, when you hit 0, it throws you the Sentry Gun! :dance:

oh my loving god.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Motherfucker posted:

oh my loving god.
Well if you hate hackers that much you don't have to use it :colbert:

I'm considering it like a preview of what's to come: all these skill effects are, um, relatively new (I don't know how new but they weren't in at launch) and a lot of them are stuffed in around the spotter and camera loop effects, so I assume they'll be getting introduced eventually :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:stare: Evidence of the skill tree revamps.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

maketakunai posted:

Well if you hate hackers that much you don't have to use it :colbert:

you don't know the context of my oh my loving god. You don't know me, quit trying to judge me you judger.

That fuckin' trips and sentry skill though... Why is this not a thing?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

maketakunai posted:

Speaking of which:

There are no skill descriptions in the game for each hidden effect, so I'll be tinkering around with stuff and writing up descriptions to be placed in that "bonus description" (hello hello hello) in the above image, as well as figuring out what skills to add the bonus effects to.

I can make Dead Presidents not suck since there's a perk for increasing bag loot (and also a perk for making you go 2% faster for each secured bag?!).

Hopefully the skill tree revamp is part of the upocoming "What's Next?" update. I like the sounds of all of those, I wish you could add the effects to the pastebin, that would clear stuff up. I wonder why would you need climb speed bonuses? Also love the hostage ones - health boost and speed boost? Yes please. Same for the "player_resist_firing_tased" - although this needs at least 50% chance if not 100% if they are willing to put it above tier 3, and they will, because all "Counter this specific special cop" skills are top tiers.
"player_wolverine_health_regen," :allears:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like they're thinking about giving top tier ghost skills a boost, although some of those seem REALLY overpowered (the chance for no pager on a melee kill in particular would be amazing), so they may not end up using them.

A suggestion I thought of for goonhud: is there a way to give civilians who are shouted down (but not tied) a different icon than the red exclamation mark? Maybe just a colour change to blue or green. It would make it a lot easier to identify who is still a threat and who is suppressed, since usually there's just a big sea of !'s everywhere. Of course you could make the argument that the confusion is an intentional design choice because crowd control should be chaotic, but it was just a thought I had.

Kikas posted:

Same for the "player_resist_firing_tased" - although this needs at least 50% chance if not 100% if they are willing to put it above tier 3, and they will, because all "Counter this specific special cop" skills are top tiers.

It's possible they may just add it to the existing shock resist skill to make it more desirable, since not a lot of people use it now.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 14, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I would take a stab and guess that climb speed (presumably for ladders?) is just a small bonus they could add to something like Basic Shinobi to fill it out a bit more. Then again, there's two tiers of it...

Loving the lower detection risk = more bonuses stuff. Especially if critical hits are in fact double damage. That would be far more interesting compared to the awkward Professional bonuses.

Maybe that's what Goldfarb meant a year ago when he said that folks would be jealous of Ghost.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 14, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

They probably at one point thought climbing speed on ladders would be an acceptable skill considering how completely vestigial and pointless some skills in the game already seem to be.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Motherfucker posted:

That fuckin' trips and sentry skill though... Why is this not a thing?
It will be! Probably! My assumption is that it'll be an infamy bonus for the Technician tree. It seems to be fully implemented at the moment though :)

Note the items left in the corner.

Kikas posted:

Also love the hostage ones - health boost and speed boost? Yes please. Same for the "player_resist_firing_tased" - although this needs at least 50% chance if not 100% if they are willing to put it above tier 3, and they will, because all "Counter this specific special cop" skills are top tiers.
"player_wolverine_health_regen," :allears:
Minion master = dominated, the health and speed boosts actually apply to you. As far as I can tell, close_to_hostage_boost gives you bonuses to many stats when near a hostage (no bonus for multiple). I think I'm seeing 25% to armor, speed, stamina, health, but that can not be right. I probably am just not understanding the code.

Wolverine = berserker, so it'll buff that.
edit: The values given for wolverine health regen are 0.001 and 5, which is I believe 0.1% of max health per second for five seconds, and it's triggered when you take damage. The hostage health regen buff is 0.005 so 0.5%/second. (This might make Stockholm Syndrome NOT SUCK!)

Resist firing tased seems to be 100%:
code:
			if not managers.player:has_category_upgrade("player", "resist_firing_tased") then
				input.btn_primary_attack_state = true
				input.btn_primary_attack_press = true
			end
Climb speed multiplier may not be fully implemented; I'm not seeing any references to it anywhere besides the skills file, although that file states 1.33x and 1.75x for the two bonuses.

Motherfucker posted:

They probably at one point thought climbing speed on ladders would be an acceptable skill considering how completely vestigial and pointless some skills in the game already seem to be.
It's probably better to think of these as "effects", with each skill being made up of one or more effects; climb speed could easily be tacked onto something like cat burglar. For example, Iron Man Ace is two effects, player_shield_knock and player_run_and_shoot.

edit: Almost none of these appear to be included to be transmitted over the network, so they may cause funky things when playing online. For example, the inventory concealment calculator does take player_concealment_bonus_1/2/3 into account (I think, as 5/10/15 concealment), as well as player_passive_concealment_bonus (Ghost Tier 4 +5), but the network sync only sends the Ghost Tier 4 bonus, not the other one. Some of these it won't matter for though, for example, health regen would be a clientside thing so you would send your health to the host, however, something like concealment not being consistent with the server may make it so on your end you are less visible than you really are.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 14, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Does the game have any cheat protection? Can you get banned for that?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's 7:30 in the morning and I'm otherwise bored, so I'm going to take a guess at this stuff because it excites me:

Mastermind posted:

"player_assets_cost_multiplier_b", (An even deeper asset discount, presumably.)
"player_premium_contract_cost_multiplier", (Crime.net contract purchase cost reduction. Probably buffs to Black Marketeer.)
"player_long_dis_revive_2", (Obviously something to do with Inspire, but I'm not sure what.)
"player_morale_boost_cooldown_multiplier", (No idea. Maybe having to do with Basic Inspire's speed boost effect?)
"player_hostage_health_regen_addend", (Previously mentioned by Goldfarb. Some kind of regen effect if you have hostages tied up.)
"player_close_to_hostage_boost", (Just posted. I'd guess this and the above could be updates to Stockholm Syndrome. +25% to everything as long as you're next to a hostage sounds pretty fair for a 8 point skill.)
"player_mark_enemy_time_multiplier", (Self-explanatory, but goddamn do I want this.)
"player_minion_master_health_multiplier", (Also just posted, symbiosis bonuses for having a Joker active.)
"player_minion_master_speed_multiplier",

Enforcer posted:

"player_berserker_invulnerability", (Self-explanatory as to the what, but no idea on the how.)
"player_armor_regen_timer_stand_still_multiplier", (I could see this also fitting Technician's sniper nature, but probably meant for Enforcer.)
"player_tier_armor_multiplier_1", (Goldfarb previously talked about making Enforcer the armor class rather than Technician.)
"player_tier_armor_multiplier_2",
"player_tier_armor_multiplier_3",
"player_add_armor_stat_skill_ammo_mul", (Goldfarb also previously mentioned a "more armor = more ammo" bonus. It would fit into Fully Loaded or maybe Aced Iron Man with ease.)
"player_overkill_health_to_damage_multiplier", (Possibly yet another previously mentioned effect. Life steal on Overkill?)
"player_wolverine_health_regen," (Posted already, but I suspect it's meant as a QoL buff so that you can sustain Berserker without straight-up dying.)

Technician posted:

"player_steelsight_normal_movement_speed", (Self-explanatory, I think.)
"player_headshot_regen_armor_bonus", (Headshots help recover your armor faster. Awesome.)
"player_resist_firing_tased", (Presumably a buff to Shockproof.)
"player_tased_recover_multiplier", (Same.)
"player_carry_sentry_and_trip", (Carry both gadgets? gently caress yes.)
"player_critical_hit_chance_1", (While critical chance shows up in Ghost, I'm going to take a wild guess and say these are for Tech because it's otherwise lacking in new tier bonuses and skill tweaks in general and it would fit the sniper playstyle well enough. It would also be amazing if crit chance could apply to gadgets. :haw:)
"player_critical_hit_chance_2",

Ghost posted:

"player_crouch_dodge_chance", (This seems like a natural addition to Aced Shinobi to give it a "loud" effect.)
"player_climb_speed_multiplier_1", (Could easily slot into Cat Burglar, as just posted.)
"player_climb_speed_multiplier_2",
"player_tape_loop_interact_distance_mul_1", (This was something I've wanted for Camera Loop and it looks like it might become a reality.)
"player_secured_bags_speed_multiplier", (Very likely a buff to Dead Presidents. Turns the Ghost into a bag-runner.)
"player_secured_bags_money_multiplier",
"player_concealment_bonus_1", (Obviously a more logical set of tier bonuses for Ghost.)
"player_concealment_bonus_2",
"player_concealment_bonus_3",
"player_detection_risk_add_crit_chance", (A nice swath of bonuses for having a low detection risk.)
"player_detection_risk_add_dodge_chance",
"player_detection_risk_damage_multiplier",
"player_melee_kill_snatch_pager_chance", (Posted already. A chance to not have a pager on a melee kill. Spectacular.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The skills folks are talking about are actually left over from early development- people found them in early versions of the game. Overkill just never cleaned up their code. What the hell are they using for versioning control over there?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Discendo Vox posted:

The skills folks are talking about are actually left over from early development- people found them in early versions of the game. Overkill just never cleaned up their code. What the hell are they using for versioning control over there?

A very old system called 'Not giving a gently caress we're not a big enough team to warrant it'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
While this isn't SkillChat, I'd love to see a sequel to the 2012 Syndicate done in the style of Payday. poo poo, all they'd really have to do is make everything future-shiny and replace the gear with techno wizardry and they'd be 90% there.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Discendo Vox posted:

Hmm, checking older source codes, seems you're right, the source code I was comparing this to was too old; looks like they were added somewhere around update 13 or 14 in October, when they redid the skill tree. Well, gently caress. Come on, Overkill. <:mad:>

Still gonna work on it. I can hope that they're just really really slow, right? :ohdear:

John Murdoch posted:

It's 7:30 in the morning and I'm otherwise bored, so I'm going to take a guess at this stuff because it excites me:
I have no idea how Overkill Health-to-Damage works (note it says Health to Damage, not the other way, no life steal). The source code just says "if you have this upgrade, take the upgrade value (0.66) and add it to your damage as a multiplier (so 1.66x). It's never mentioned again anywhere else. v:shobon:v It was probably redesigned into the shotgun/saw effect, I guess.

Detection risk damage actually reduces your damage the beefier you are. :raise:

code:
above: (detection_risk - threshold)/step * value (no bonus for under 0)
below: (threshold - detection_risk)/step * value (no bonus for under 0)
Damage bonus: uses "above" calculation (rate - threshold)
  (75 - 40)/7 = 5 * 0.05 = 0.25 PENALTY to damage (25%)
  (3 - 40) is less than 0, no penalty
Dodge bonus: uses "below" calculation (threshold - rate)
  (35 - 75) is less than 0, no bonus
  (35 - 3)/3 = 10 * 0.01 = 0.10 bonus to dodge (10%)
Crit chance bonus: uses "below" calculation (threshold - rate)
  (35 - 75) is less than 0, no bonus
  (35 - 3)/3 = 10 * 0.005 = 0.05 bonus to crit chance (5%)
Critical damage is equal to headshot damage.

Berserker invulnerability is tied to a totally different effect called berserker_damage_multiplier (one which I forgot to add since it was also in an older build) that doubles your damage for six seconds whenever your armor is destroyed (armor before damage > 0, armor after damage <= 0). During this time, if you also have the invulnerability effect, you delay death; you cannot go into bleedout for those six seconds. Once those six seconds are done, if invulnerability was triggered, you pop off to the downed state right away.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 14, 2014

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

"player_long_dis_revive_2", (Obviously something to do with Inspire, but I'm not sure what.)

This would be increasing the range that you can shout someone up

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Improbable Lobster posted:

While this isn't SkillChat, I'd love to see a sequel to the 2012 Syndicate done in the style of Payday. poo poo, all they'd really have to do is make everything future-shiny and replace the gear with techno wizardry and they'd be 90% there.

They did. http://www.1up.com/news/ea-ignore-syndicate-fps-reboot-failure

Payday / Overkill software was formed from ex-starbreeze members after Syndicate didn't do very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCFclriQtBU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

maketakunai posted:

Hmm, checking older source codes, seems you're right, the source code I was comparing this to was too old; looks like they were added somewhere around update 13 or 14 in October, when they redid the skill tree. Well, gently caress. Come on, Overkill. <:mad:>

Still gonna work on it. I can hope that they're just really really slow, right? :ohdear:

I think that lines up, then. I wanna say it was roughly around October that Goldfarb was teasing a bunch of those new skill effects. So maybe these are testing leftovers.

Thanks for the breakdown on some of the weirder stuff. :)

Speaking of leaks, I don't think this was ever posted. http://imgur.com/a/ltJQr Only thing I could find about it was some FacePunch posts talking about how it looks more like NY than DC. It could very well be another hoax like the Homefront thing. With the day/night thing I guess it could be a new escape map, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a random area from GTAIV or something.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 14, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Speaking of Goldfarb, we never have to hear from him again.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Improbable Lobster posted:

Overkill is working on a sci-fi coop fps game apparently

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is he responsible for the disparity between the number of available weapons and the number of viable weapons?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Speaking of leaks, I don't think this was ever posted. http://imgur.com/a/ltJQr Only thing I could find about it was some FacePunch posts talking about how it looks more like NY than DC. It could very well be another hoax like the Homefront thing. With the day/night thing I guess it could be a new escape map, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a random area from GTAIV or something.

With the lack of reused/"referenced" textures, I doubt it's Payday related.
Of course, Big Bank had virtually nothing reused as far as I could tell - even the magazines at the front were all brand new, so maybe it might be something. Though why they'd devote time to modeling and coming up with brand new textures for an Escape map is beyond me, but Overkill works in mysterious ways.

AurumDude
Jul 13, 2014
Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
As much as I've gotten used to it, I still miss having infinite bodybags. I understand why the change was made, but sometimes I just wanna kill every civ in a bank and spell things with their corpses.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

FAUXTON posted:

Is he responsible for the disparity between the number of available weapons and the number of viable weapons?

Supposedly he's responsible for why we got so many short heists. And also of course ridiculous difficulty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think on stealth maps, lower difficulty should give you more pager responses. Oh well, everybody should just get up to playing on overkill pretty fast anyways, I guess.

Also you should be able to buy more cable ties as an asset, like more body bags. Why not? As-is just really punishes single player even more than the game already does; unnecessarily so.

quote:

"player_tape_loop_interact_distance_mul_1", (This was something I've wanted for Camera Loop and it looks like it might become a reality.)
"player_melee_kill_snatch_pager_chance", (Posted already. A chance to not have a pager on a melee kill. Spectacular.)
"player_detection_risk_damage_multiplier",

:allears: please give me this overkill, please :pray:

I've been wanting ranged tape loop forever. That's what you should get for acing it, as it stands loop is *almost* worthless. But ranged would make it pretty useful, you could go around tagging cameras for your less stealthy mates to sneak past.

Snatching pagers on melee would be friggin amazing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I think on stealth maps, lower difficulty should give you more pager responses. Oh well, everybody should just get up to playing on overkill pretty fast anyways, I guess.

Also you should be able to buy more cable ties as an asset, like more body bags. Why not? As-is just really punishes single player even more than the game already does; unnecessarily so.

:allears: please give me this overkill, please :pray:

I've been wanting ranged tape loop forever. That's what you should get for acing it, as it stands loop is *almost* worthless. But ranged would make it pretty useful, you could go around tagging cameras for your less stealthy mates to sneak past.

Snatching pagers on melee would be friggin amazing.

The pager thing seems like it would be great, but the randomness of it would probably be annoying. It seems like it would be better as a thing where melee kills on enemies would always disable the pager, and then it gets a limited number of uses like pistol messiah (probably one since that's how much you would get on average with the 25% proc rate, but maybe 2 if the theoretical skill was aced).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The pager thing seems like it would be great, but the randomness of it would probably be annoying. It seems like it would be better as a thing where melee kills on enemies would always disable the pager, and then it gets a limited number of uses like pistol messiah (probably one since that's how much you would get on average with the 25% proc rate, but maybe 2 if the theoretical skill was aced).

I'd be down for that. It encourages a more riskier playstyle in exchange for great rewards. Could easily replace Moving Target.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

PantsOptional posted:

Supposedly he's responsible for why we got so many short heists. And also of course ridiculous difficulty.

I don't have a problem with short heists (I think there should be a lot of basic crime maps) but I think payday 2's pacing is terrible and the Omaha beach sized combat waves are stupid. - When you consider how valve paced their left for dead games payday is pretty bad in comparison.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

xutech posted:

They did. http://www.1up.com/news/ea-ignore-syndicate-fps-reboot-failure

Payday / Overkill software was formed from ex-starbreeze members after Syndicate didn't do very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCFclriQtBU

Uhhh nope, Overkill was formed by Ulf and Bo Andersson, the founders of the now-defunct GRIN. Starbreeze later purchased Overkill.

*edited for clarity*

*edit*

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 14, 2014

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Geight posted:

Don't waste time repeatedly trying to dominate the same cop. It puts you in danger and I rarely have success if a cop doesn't put his gun down quickly.

This is one of the things I fear I've been a prick about lately. I've had a few groups lately where we'd have 3 players trying to shout down cops while the Rats House was getting filled. I tend to treat Jokers like a nice surprise. If I cleared out a good number of enemies, and there's one cop doing the Threatened Dance, then I'll try to nab him. Otherwise, I just pop him and keep moving on.

FAUXTON posted:

The big famous quote from him is that he wanted to turn Payday 2 into the Dark Souls of its type of game. Besides the fact that Dark Souls' difficulty was well-implemented, the game's extra content pre-Shadow Raid was stupidly loving hard but without any really good design (constant crossfire from cops you can't see on Transport missions, for one). He's also supposedly to blame for the game having really good ~gunfeel~, which is a big plus for him, but I'm looking forward to more of the type of stuff we've gotten since his "vacation" a while ago.

I do disagree with you on the "viable" weapons thing, but that's for another time.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I'm not so sure whether Goldfarb himself was really the guy pulling for the more questionable design decisions of the game (avoidance-based stealth, Crime.net). Having played a lot of the original Payday: The Heist, Overkill really tweaked that game to appease only the most diehard players who posted on their Steam sub-forum. The people who'd complain things would be "too easy" if the cops no longer had pinpoint accuracy from across the map would post there the most, so they'd listen to them.

Goldfarb became the de facto poster boy for Payday 2's design by virtue of the fact that he'd be the only one to actually post news updates / hint at upcoming stuff while replying to people outside the Steam community, such as on Twitter. They also would credit him as rewriting the dialogue to seem SLIGHTLY less janky, though you can tell from his having worked on Bad Company 2's singleplayer--a mediocre Call of Duty Modern Warfare knockoff that isn't really that funny--that he thinks stuff like "history of heistery" is WAY more clever than it actually is. Still, at least he was doing it. Having listened in on some of the Twitch interviews with Overkill guys like Almir, they're once again stressing how the Steam Community / group is more or less the main thing they pay attention to above all ("we read every post there"). I don't know if they're really monitoring Reddit or here or wherever. Otherwise the next patch would make GoonHUD official on PC and standard for the upcoming PS4/Xbox One versions, drat it!

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Might be a dumb question, but have you tried the Mp7? Seems like it should be able to hit slightly higher damage with a suppressor, albeit with mediocre accuracy. When it's set up loud I like it even better than the p90, but that ammo pool is a killer for some missions.

The SpecOps never struck me as a viable alternative to a silenced Para/Kobus because with the silenced barrel equipped, its clip size, total ammo count, and accuracy is a good bit lower than the others. I can see it being an okay pick if you haven't Aced Silent Killer like I have, since a Competitor's Compensator could give it comparable accuracy and damage output. Maybe I'm just weird for trying to go for 16 accuracy minimums on my ARs/SMGs?

It might just be placebo on my part, but I feel as though between having Ace Chameleon and 0 Threat weapons that I can often get away with firing one shot/killing one guy before enemies turn around to face me. Now that we've got Big Bank and need to now routinely stealth Diamond Store for the 30% boost, I'm starting to wonder if I should spec out of silenced weapons and take back my beloved Control Freak skill that I've dearly missed so.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 14, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Daryl Surat posted:

I'm not so sure whether Goldfarb himself was really the guy pulling for the more questionable design decisions of the game (avoidance-based stealth, Crime.net). Having played a lot of the original Payday: The Heist, Overkill really tweaked that game to appease only the most diehard players who posted on their Steam sub-forum. The people who'd complain things would be "too easy" if the cops no longer had pinpoint accuracy from across the map would post there the most, so they'd listen to them.

Goldfarb became the de facto poster boy for Payday 2's design by virtue of the fact that he'd be the only one to actually post news updates / hint at upcoming stuff while replying to people outside the Steam community, such as on Twitter. Having listened in on some of the Twitch interviews with Overkill guys like Almir, they're once again stressing how the Steam Community / group is more or less the main thing they pay attention to above all ("we read every post there"). I don't know if they're really monitoring Reddit or here or wherever. Otherwise the next patch would make GoonHUD official on PC and standard for the upcoming PS4/Xbox One versions, drat it!

I was just about to post something along these lines. Goldfarb was nowhere near the hitler everyone likes to paint him as. And I think the Dark Souls thing is just hilariously overblown.

At the end of the day, even without him, Overkill is still Overkill.

Edit: Judging from other online games I've played, blaming the lead designer for literally everything seems to just be a Thing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Honestly I'd love it if Deathwish weren't the two-trick pony of difficulty settings and was actually hard without murdering you outright for either not stealthing perfectly or not finding a good place to hole up and then just popping heads as they enter your chokepoint.

• Locked thread