Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Is quadzerking Soul Cannon supposed to be easy, or did RNGesus Gilgabot finally smile down upon me?

It's odd, everyone tells me it's supposed to be difficult, but in my two Soul Cannon Quadzerks runs both beat it easily on the first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Currently on W2 of my Chaos/Upgrade run. Having to rely on 4x Dancer for damage is painful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't see myself doing #upgrade. That said, if I did, are you allowed to forsake the last couple of #upgrades? Like, if you rolled White Mage first and Mystic Knight second, could you just say "gently caress it" and ignore your third and fourth crystals altogether?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

I can't see myself doing #upgrade. That said, if I did, are you allowed to forsake the last couple of #upgrades? Like, if you rolled White Mage first and Mystic Knight second, could you just say "gently caress it" and ignore your third and fourth crystals altogether?

Absolutely.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Don't do upgrade it sucks and is boring.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

Have a question for the team. Last night went to fight Archaeoavis, was around level 23 or so because my only offense was monk fists. Form 1 was low on health, my monk Focus crits for 600 on one attack, and Archy dies. Outright dies. Death animation, I get 10 AP, no transition into a later phase, no King Tycoon talking about how majestic the beast is.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Didn't see anything about it in a quick search.

Edit: GBA version, on mGBA. That was my third run this year, runs 1 and 2 went normally.

Killing Archaeoavis with a counter bypasses his revival script. It works on most other bosses/randos with an On:Death script, too, though I think Tree Exdeath still moves on to Neo Exdeath.

EDIT: Also, only his last phase has the script so if you barf enough damage out to bypass the phases, apparently that happened too.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
So, bridge Gilgamesh is curbstomping my team of Black Mage X2 / Dancer / Mystic Knight. I've been having a lovely grind-free time, but Wind Slash is doing more damage than 3/4 of my lvl 17 party has HP.

I might have to break down and grind some.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
How exactly do axes work?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Killing Archaeoavis with a counter bypasses his revival script. It works on most other bosses/randos with an On:Death script, too, though I think Tree Exdeath still moves on to Neo Exdeath.

EDIT: Also, only his last phase has the script so if you barf enough damage out to bypass the phases, apparently that happened too.

I might have killed the phase with a counter, it was FF, just saw a big as monk critical and then the fight ended. This was the first time I'd ever gotten Monk, so explains why I hadn't seen it before. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm just about certain I've seen an FF5 LP where Treedeath was killed without invoking NED. I think one of the Cannoneer abilities does it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

First they take the enemy's defense and multiply it by .75 .25. Then, they take the player's attack and multiply it by a random number between .5 and 1.5. Then it's just normal damage calculation.

In other words, it's a 50-150% attack that bypasses 25% 75% of the enemy's Defense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm just about certain I've seen an FF5 LP where Treedeath was killed without invoking NED. I think one of the Cannoneer abilities does it?

Chaos Cannon, yeah. It has to be the killing blow in order to bypass, though.

EDIT: Bad numbers fixed.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OzFactor posted:

They ignore 3/4's of an enemy's defense and have a large range of damage. They also have rather poor accuracy. A lot of axes have neat gimmicks too, like Death Sickle's Death procs, Thor Hammer working from back row, Rune Axe being strengthened by magic, and Earth Hammer randomly triggering Quake.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

Attack rolls between 1/2 and 3/2 the printed attack, and they ignore 75% of the target's defense. Most of them have garbage (70%) accuracy.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i work overnights so time is confusing for me, i still have another day to beat my doctor tot run? oops thats definitely doable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rogue Lemon posted:

So, bridge Gilgamesh is curbstomping my team of Black Mage X2 / Dancer / Mystic Knight. I've been having a lovely grind-free time, but Wind Slash is doing more damage than 3/4 of my lvl 17 party has HP.

I might have to break down and grind some.
He "only" has 6500 HP, and the first 4k are before he casts Haste/Protect/Shell. Maybe try cracking rods to burn him down if you have a couple extras? Since you don't have actual third-level spells yet. Alternative suggestions: Silence Blade to stop his buffs from ever getting cast, I don't know if that works on non-SFC versions but you could silence him on SFC, put the Ancient Sword on your MK and hit him with it to inflict Old so he hits less hard eventually.

That's all I got that doesn't involve grinding, sadly :(

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Impromptu no750 run. About to land on the submarine in W2. Should be able to close out tonight for one more Dr.Tot run if I'm lucky!

If I don't make it in time I'll donate $5 extra myself, why not

fakeedit: Lenna and Faris have the best beastmaster outfits

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
After a terrible half-hour spent sandbagging Garula with four White Mages (not too bad, if you watch your HP, only took me one try), I rolled for my water crystal job.

Mystic Knight.

:getin:

(Running donation tally - $5: $2 for two days since start, $2 for two hours on the game clock, $1 for a wipe to Forza&Megissa.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just beat the crystals, after a very unlucky first try where Death Sickle didn't proc and I got Firaga'd to death. I should hopefully squeeze another Tot victory before the night is over.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Chemist is so stupid in the best possible way, 250 chomp necks everyday. But we knew that already, didn't we? At least this will be one more Doctor Tot for the collection.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tot-kun wins

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Got to world 3 with relative ease. Blue Mages are no joke, and since I finally have hastega for my time mage it's nothing to just spam aeroga at poo poo until it dies.

So which of the weapons/optional dungeons should I be doing for Blue Mage/Time Mage/Geo/Dancer? I know I need to get meteor, and I figure the magus would probably be helpful.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I've slowly getting through my run/first FFV playthrough. I have Enkibot at the ready, but are there any specific missable items or areas I should look out for so I can dick around and discover things without screwing myself? I assume you can't go back to different worlds, and my first job is White Mage so I got the drat flail.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

jaclynhyde posted:

I've slowly getting through my run/first FFV playthrough. I have Enkibot at the ready, but are there any specific missable items or areas I should look out for so I can dick around and discover things without screwing myself? I assume you can't go back to different worlds, and my first job is White Mage so I got the drat flail.

http://ffvspirit.com/

This has a walkthrough which points out all missable things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

jaclynhyde posted:

Once you get to the fire castle, you'll do a dungeon in a steamship and after the boss fight have ten minutes to do a loot run. Use a walkthrough for that part to skip the Elixir chests since they all have trap fights. Anything with gil has no fights, anything with items has fights. Get the gil, Main Gauche, Elven Mantle, and if you have time the Ribbon (which may or may not be relevant depending on whether you get Dancer but can't hurt to get it) and Esuna (which you'll be able to use with White Mages but you can buy it a short time later so it should be lowest priority). There's also a boss at the end so save some time for that.

Otherwise, everything else kinda depends on what jobs you roll. I'd ask again once you get your first three jobs revealed since there might be stuff in the last W1 dungeon or other areas you might want depending on your jobs.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Does the magic underflow glitch work on the advance version, or just on the snes version? I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and thief's knife the titan's glove so I can go Thornlet-Gaia Hammer/Titan's glove- Gaia Hammer/Time Mage/Time Magic-Rune Axe.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
We still totting? Because I wouldn't be surprised if I was passed. Thief/Zerk/Zerk/Dragoon sucks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

berenzen posted:

Does the magic underflow glitch work on the advance version, or just on the snes version? I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and thief's knife the titan's glove so I can go Thornlet-Gaia Hammer/Titan's glove- Gaia Hammer/Time Mage/Time Magic-Rune Axe.

SNES/PS1 only. Also it doesn't work with Lenna since her magic is too high.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

She can do it but she also needs the Giant's Glove, which is a rare steal from Azulmagia. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
W2 Exdeath down, with only slight difficulty. Only took one try but Bartz didn't make it. I thought for sure giving him the Bone Mail would help against Vacuum Wave but nope, 1k damage regardless. Still, being able to deal half of Exdeath's HP right at the beginning of the fight was great. I loving love Beastmaster.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Shinryu and NED will always remember Dr. Tot.

Edit: Well I mean they would. But they're dead as hell.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Go figure. I briefly used Thief in my Chaos Run when my first job was Samurai so I could get Sprint in the Steam version. Got that done way back at the fight with Magissa and switched back to Freelancer. My last class from the Earth Crystal was Thief.

Since I will need to use items to heal, is there a good enemy to steal elixirs from?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

jaclynhyde posted:

Not completely missable, but useful things are the Frost Rod in the second town, Death Claw from the Karnak Castle boss, and two missable bard songs with some utilty.

Reflect Rings and Staves of Light for W2 Exdeath and potentially a Power Staff for Shinryu in W2.

I wouldn't call them missable per se, but the Magic Lamp and Wonder Wand have a lot of utility that someone playing the game normally wouldn't necessarily appreciate. In that vein, if I have dancer I like to hit up the Phoenix Tower for Rainbow Dresses (and to steal Reflect Rings for cash anyway).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rirse posted:

Go figure. I briefly used Thief in my Chaos Run when my first job was Samurai so I could get Sprint in the Steam version. Got that done way back at the fight with Magissa and switched back to Freelancer. My last class from the Earth Crystal was Thief.

Since I will need to use items to heal, is there a good enemy to steal elixirs from?

Grinding enemies in the ship graveyard or around the library is probably your best source of elixers. High Potions should serve you from World 2 till the void where you can steal them from crystal dragons.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Normally it's a goddamned nightmare, so I think you were visited by an angel this day.

Yeah, Everhate smiled down upon you :unsmith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

djw175 posted:

Grinding enemies in the ship graveyard or around the library is probably your best source of elixers. High Potions should serve you from World 2 till the void where you can steal them from crystal dragons.

That sounds like a good plan. Plus it gives me more money for the Samurai's gil toss.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Since some people in IRC were asking for a "stealth" Fiesta patch without Neo Excactuar.

I've tested it up to the Wind Crystal, so it should be fine, but I ain't taking responsibility if it melts your game or whatever.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mega64 posted:

drat. Thanks, Guess it's Rune Axe/Titan Axe/Thor's Hammer then.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Defeated Soul Cannon with the power !Hide.

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
I hope I am not to late for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Last year I started with Thief/Berserker/x/x, and my second run was Black Mage/Summoner/x/x.

I now have Thief/Berserker/Black Mage/Summoner.

It's easy mode but come on, I wanted something new from random :mad:.

• Locked thread