Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jeedy Jay posted:

There's that Anime Nihilism that is so popular among pseudo-angelic beings in RPGS.

"Sometimes, life sucks. Therefore, life sucks. Therefore, life should be eradicated and replaced."

I have never been able to take these supposedly-awesome characters seriously because they have the existential outlook of a community college goth who the other goths kicked out for being an obnoxious, contrarian shithead.

Doesn't help that the counter-argument managed to be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In the distant future, humanity will have evolved beyond the need for coherent philosophical worldviews.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

megane posted:

In the distant future, humanity will have evolved beyond the need for coherent philosophical worldviews.

I dunno, evolution being glittering box with nothing inside it is incredibly insightful and now my personal motto forever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Every single JRPG has the exact same philosophy and only persona 3, dark souls and shin megami tensei have expreseed it in an interesting way. I'm going to beat the poo poo out of japan with a biology textbook.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2017

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

Episode 94: WitnessTheQuintessenceOfMyCatastrophicPower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKmBYhtkyg

Wet's "true evolution comes from our hearts!" speech remains one of the dumbest things in this game. And I would also like to point out Pork Lift made a joke about Faize being the final boss way back in video 20 or something and it made me laugh so goddamn hard because it was true.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

At least we get to kill Faize ourselves

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Have we heard literally anything at all about an Apostle of Creation before now?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The guy on EN II mentioned there was something at the center of the Missing Procedure that was causing all this. So technically that.

Also, I totally forgot Faize was actually the boss here, and swore I was just making that up in my half-memories of the game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Goshdarnit, I have seen several references to a Porklift+wateyad guest commentary on somebody else's videos - something about rubbing a lava dragon. Which LP are y'all referring to with that?

(otherwise still catching up on this LP keep up the good work you two crazy diamonds)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Every single JRPG has the exact same philosophy and only persona 3, dark souls and shin megami tensei have expreseed it in an interesting way. I'm going to beat the poo poo out of japan with a biology textbook.

I don't think it was literal evolution, as in the scientific theory.

And all Faize's speech does is remind me of Evangelion, not any of the JRPGs I've played.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was Two Worlds, I forget which video. I don't know where you could even find it any more.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It was the secret commentary on one of the Two Worlds videos, I think the super long one: https://bd.baldurk.org/lp/168 / https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL81s2Z1UedT5Ol9VzGF58eFmbqIc-qu37

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was about to say "I probably still have it somewhere and can try to make it available if it's otherwise lost to time," but of course Curtiss is way ahead of me.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I was laughing at the thought that Faize might be the final boss when he started to go all red eyed earlier and then it actually loving happened. I hate this game.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I don't feel hatred when opening a glittering box with nothing inside, only disappointment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I was laughing at the thought that Faize might be the final boss when he started to go all red eyed earlier and then it actually loving happened. I hate this game.
It's fitting to me that Faize's master plan is, 'Well I couldn't save my people, so I guess I will just hit the universe-wide reset button! No, this is totally not incoherent!'

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So did he get sent back in time or something or has Faize had this role as The Big Bad for all of like, a day?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think it's the latter? I don't know where this game goes from here but I've been assuming the reason the giant death planet started moving towards Earth suddenly is because that's when Faize took over, and he's a petty rear end in a top hat.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

So did he get sent back in time or something or has Faize had this role as The Big Bad for all of like, a day?

The latter.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

The stakes would be way higher if Limb ended up as the main antagonist instead.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In the new world, one will be all, and all will be one, 'kay.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It genuinely would actually be menacing, as she has a huge fuckoff hell dog as her familiar and really powerful magic to back it up.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I was really hoping Limb would level up so she could claim to be stronger than Riderman when it actually mattered.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 95: Boss... Rush?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFc72mOH_tI

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I dislike this video game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His tiny face in the big robot is hilarious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is another thing that could have been partially fixed by a mild tweak - Have Faize's motivation be that as he and his entire race were blown up they were all absorbed by the Core/Disciple thing so that it could make Black Phantom puppets of their bodies, and his obsession is "Kill everything in the universe to bring them all together into this lifeform for eternity". Would give a more tempting offer to Edge, as enough of his issues have come out of losing people he cares about, and it could have a better design for the final boss with multiple eldarian faces adorning it's armour (Like War's shoulder pads in Darksiders). Faize's face on the chestplate becomes less comical and it overall would look a little more freakish.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

This is another thing that could have been partially fixed by a mild tweak - Have Faize's motivation be that as he and his entire race were blown up they were all absorbed by the Core/Disciple thing so that it could make Black Phantom puppets of their bodies, and his obsession is "Kill everything in the universe to bring them all together into this lifeform for eternity". Would give a more tempting offer to Edge, as enough of his issues have come out of losing people he cares about, and it could have a better design for the final boss with multiple eldarian faces adorning it's armour (Like War's shoulder pads in Darksiders). Faize's face on the chestplate becomes less comical and it overall would look a little more freakish.

Please save good ideas for a game that deserves them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Your speech moved me, Pork Lift. Thank you.

This game is terrible.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

I wish this was a possible alternate path or something. That's way too good.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly can't think of a whinier final or semi-final boss.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

I honestly can't think of a whinier final or semi-final boss.

Star Ocean 3 got kinda whiny. Direct Quote just before second form: "Die die die die die! Begone, everyone and everything!"

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Sindai posted:

That just sounds like the final boss of Star Fox Assault.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I too am sick of wet mavericks nonsense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

coleman francis posted:

I too am sick of wet mavericks nonsense.
Whoever wins, we lose

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Whoever wins, we lose

We lost the moment we started this game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mraagvpeine posted:

We lost the moment we started this game.

I like to think that I won, at least.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
A.) Thank you for the Two Worlds LP link. That was indeed some entertaining commentary over an... interesting gameplay video. :raise:

B.) Jesus loving Christ this game. You two... play something you actually like next, yeah? You deserve it.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 1, 2017

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Jesus gently caress, this game is so goddamn stupid and also terrible at conveying its stupid ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 96: I Still Don't Understand the Orbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRBJiLvAs3M

• Locked thread