Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

I've replaced the drive in my 2011 mini. I got all the tools for it except the giant staple that lets you slide the logic board out. I kinda had to turn the mini upside down to get the drive to seat properly without sliding the logic board out. But it was doable.

Wrong machine. 2011s are pretty easy. 2010s need a putty knife to open and you have to remove the airport card and a bunch of sensors and poo poo.

I've done it a fair bit, and while it's not fun it's certainly possible without breaking poo poo. You could probably do it, just be careful and willing to invest the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I were getting a 5k i would go with a big SSD just because hard drives gently caress up and fail and I don't want to go inside the drat thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

If I were getting a 5k i would go with a big SSD just because hard drives gently caress up and fail and I don't want to go inside the drat thing.

Is that saying "avoid Fusion, get the biggest SSD you can afford"? Or specifically "get a bigger SSD than 512"?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
512gb is plenty. If you need more get an external. Presumably you don't need insane random access times on a terabyte of data.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word. Thanks.. I know it was a daft follow-up question, but I was just trying to understand why one was better than the other. So it sounds like it's just about mitigating annoyances and inconveniences down the road.

Thanks! :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fusion is awesome.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Fusion Drives were introduced when SSDs were a bit more expensive than they are now, and their SSD half is something like 128GB. I personally think 512GB is a sweet spot for SSDs, but anything above 256GB is usable. If you want 1TB, go for it; there's no reason not to other than price. Just estimate what you need and get something that leaves some overhead. As long as you're not obsessing over benchmark data, the only appreciable difference between Apple's SSDs are how much they can store.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Wrong machine. 2011s are pretty easy. 2010s need a putty knife to open and you have to remove the airport card and a bunch of sensors and poo poo.

I've done it a fair bit, and while it's not fun it's certainly possible without breaking poo poo. You could probably do it, just be careful and willing to invest the time.

My mid-2010 is the new aluminum style that doesn't require a putty knife, and while I was sure there was an old style 2010, Mactracker doesn't list one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Triglav posted:

Fusion Drives were introduced when SSDs were a bit more expensive than they are now, and their SSD half is something like 128GB. I personally think 512GB is a sweet spot for SSDs, but anything above 256GB is usable. If you want 1TB, go for it; there's no reason not to other than price. Just estimate what you need and get something that leaves some overhead. As long as you're not obsessing over benchmark data, the only appreciable difference between Apple's SSDs are how much they can store.

There's not really a question of SSD size beyond 512. I won't be splurging past that (for cost reasons)... I was just wondering if Fusion was measurably inferior to SSD. (In quality or reliability.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I was just wondering if Fusion was measurably inferior to SSD. (In quality or reliability.)
"Quality" is a rather subjective thing to ask about. I have a 256GB SSD + 6TB HDD Fusion setup and absolutely love that I don't have to manage my SSD. The OS generally does a great job of keeping the data I access regularly on the SSD (Lightroom catalog) while letting the other stuff slip to the HDD seamlessly. I have a huge iTunes library so I tend to get a beachball when I fire up iTunes as it reads from both the HDD and SSD, but it beats having to store the entire iTunes library on an external HDD which would give me a beachball anyway. For me the user experience of Fusion is an improvement over SSD + external. In theory the experience should be worse with an Apple 128GB SSD setup, so I suppose it all comes down to how much data you reasonably expect to want on the SSD.

"Reliability" is a non-factor for me because I have backups in place regardless of what the primary storage media is. In theory you are increasing the likelihood of failure by relying on two drives to store your data (see: RAID 0) but it shouldn't change your backup habits. SSDs can die too. I used to only have the 256GB SSD and then rely on an external HDD, but once Fusion came along I immediately went with that and don't regret it for a second.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

empty baggie posted:

My mid-2010 is the new aluminum style that doesn't require a putty knife, and while I was sure there was an old style 2010, Mactracker doesn't list one.

Oh then those are pretty easy to do.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"Quality" is a rather subjective thing to ask about. I have a 256GB SSD + 6TB HDD Fusion setup and absolutely love that I don't have to manage my SSD. The OS generally does a great job of keeping the data I access regularly on the SSD (Lightroom catalog) while letting the other stuff slip to the HDD seamlessly. I have a huge iTunes library so I tend to get a beachball when I fire up iTunes as it reads from both the HDD and SSD, but it beats having to store the entire iTunes library on an external HDD which would give me a beachball anyway. For me the user experience of Fusion is an improvement over SSD + external. In theory the experience should be worse with an Apple 128GB SSD setup, so I suppose it all comes down to how much data you reasonably expect to want on the SSD.

"Reliability" is a non-factor for me because I have backups in place regardless of what the primary storage media is. In theory you are increasing the likelihood of failure by relying on two drives to store your data (see: RAID 0) but it shouldn't change your backup habits. SSDs can die too. I used to only have the 256GB SSD and then rely on an external HDD, but once Fusion came along I immediately went with that and don't regret it for a second.

Thank you to everyone for input but thank you most especially to you, SWSP, for clarifying. I may very well just go with like a 1tb Fusuon or some such...

[Edit] while I'm hounding y'all, my plan was get the stock 8 giblets of Memory and then buy my own. Not sure what a solid brand/model/price would be, can anyone tell me if I can do better than 32 for 600 (I assume so, but don't want to assume...)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 30, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Of course you must have backups. But it's easier to get back up and running if the thing that breaks--probably your hard drive-- is an easily replaced external. Otherwise you are looking at hauling your Mac to an AASP and leaving it with them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

Of course you must have backups. But it's easier to get back up and running if the thing that breaks--probably your hard drive-- is an easily replaced external. Otherwise you are looking at hauling your Mac to an AASP and leaving it with them.

But an SSD can also fail, no? I mean, it may have a better track record (I assume because no moving parts) , but it could... And I have had a mid2010 iMac with a perfectly good 512 platter for years now... So I guess it's just odds/luck?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only have anecdotes relating to the failure rate. But if it doesn't fail, it might just get slow and lovely. I have seen so many computers go from unusably slow to usable just by putting in a new hard drive or preferably an SSD. Obviously fusion will mitigate this to some degree.

If not having to manage which files go on which disk appeals, go with the Fusion.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SSDs now have up to a 10 year warranty. They can fail, always have backups, etc... but they're really good now.

I am getting ready to drop one in my 2012 Mac Mini that runs my media center. Its my last Mac that I use regularly or deal with at work that has a non-fusion or SSD drive. Feels great to say that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Feenix posted:

There's not really a question of SSD size beyond 512. I won't be splurging past that (for cost reasons)... I was just wondering if Fusion was measurably inferior to SSD. (In quality or reliability.)

Apple needs to adapt their pricing to what 1TB SSDs cost these days. Their pricing would be ok for one bought like a year ago, but these days they're under $500 vs the $1k premium Apple charges to switch from a Fusion drive to the 1TB SSD. Having said that, my retina iMac with a 1TB SSD arrives next week. That plus the external Thunderbolt enclosure from WD with a pair of 1TB Velociraptors I'll RAID0 together that I was able to pick up from B&H for $300 or so should let me migrate all my crap off my dead Mac Pro.

(And thanks to those who provided advice earlier on trying to recover it from the dead.)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Feenix posted:

I'm about to get a 5k soon and my (very smart about this stuff) buddy informed me with my limited budget I should get the 512 SSD and basically "stay the gently caress away from fusion drives."

My 2012 iMac has the 1TB Fusion and as my first SSD experience, I'm more than happy with it. I'm not sure why you need to stay the gently caress away.

You can split the logical Fusion drive into separate HDD and SSD drives by following this article.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

Nah its a unibody, i have to open it anyway to replace the memory as its a 2gb model but i have 4gb sitting around unused to go in, but from the teardowns it looks pretty unfun. The main bits i don't like the look of is prying off the temperature sensors and putting them on the new drives, lifting the logic board (my MBP just died from logic board failure and i do not want to kill this one), and the integrated cabling on the drives that needs peeling off and transferring. Also i really don't want to have to spend however much just for a stupid bracket to sit the new drive in if i replace the superdrive with the 2.5" HDD. I'll have to see if the 5400rpm is significantly worse than my other one, as long as it doesn't throw up constant disk overload errors in logic i'll be fine with it. Shame its only usb 2 otherwise i wouldn't mind having some other stuff transferring off of externals rather than just videos etc that aren't speed reliant.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

Nah its a unibody, i have to open it anyway to replace the memory as its a 2gb model but i have 4gb sitting around unused to go in, but from the teardowns it looks pretty unfun. The main bits i don't like the look of is prying off the temperature sensors and putting them on the new drives, lifting the logic board (my MBP just died from logic board failure and i do not want to kill this one), and the integrated cabling on the drives that needs peeling off and transferring. Also i really don't want to have to spend however much just for a stupid bracket to sit the new drive in if i replace the superdrive with the 2.5" HDD. I'll have to see if the 5400rpm is significantly worse than my other one, as long as it doesn't throw up constant disk overload errors in logic i'll be fine with it. Shame its only usb 2 otherwise i wouldn't mind having some other stuff transferring off of externals rather than just videos etc that aren't speed reliant.

Be careful, use a guitar pick for any of the connections.

The logic board shouldn't have to be removed to get to the ram iirc, it's all up front. The only time you need to remove the logic board is to add a second hard drive.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there anything I should know/be aware of when removing an optical drive on a 2011 27" iMac? Mine is dead and I want to just replace it with an SSD.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So I don't know if this is the correct thread for this, but I figure I'll give it a shot.

The company that I work for is an all Mac desktop with Windows backend shop. We rely extremely heavily on a Windows server serving files via AFP through ExtremeZ-IP. I've been lobbying for a true CMS for years, but we have a serious competency gap at this company; My users ability to wrap their head around ANY change to their workflow is usually met with, at best, blank stares and, at worse, seething rage. They simply cannot conceptualize ANY change to their workflow of just how easy it is to manage work using a simple fileserver-based workflow. It's literally drag-and-drop and you don't have to worry about gently caress-else (at least from their perspective). Anything like file-locking, change revisions, version history, check-in/check-out is seen as a huge detriment to the workflow because of the extra steps despite all of the advantages that using a CMS brings. To cap it all off, the sheer volume of information that is required for the work to flow correctly precludes us from using any sort of 'cloud-based' file storage because my users would need a way to search millions of contiguous records multiple times per day.

Are there any solutions out there that allow users to retain native Finder functionality, (Spotlight Search, alias's, tagging, drag-and-drop moving of files, etc) but add the ability to have change history and complex file permissions (drop-box's, preventing folder deletions, etc)?

We use Code42's Crashplan ProE as our desktop backup solution, so I figured I'd give Shareplan a shot. To be fair, this is the closest I've seen so far of a collaboration app that retains native Finder functionality along with version control, but the problem is that it's such a new product that most of the features that I'd need (such as complex permissions) are 3-4 major revisions away according to Code42's support people. Although I think it will do what I need it to do in the end, it's a huge risk to make an investment in an app that's been in release for less than 3 months.

I've seen files simply disappear in Finder with no corresponding log in Windows server to explain what happened. It's almost a daily occurrence now where a user makes a change that is overwritten by somebody else working on the same file. I'm almost at my whits end.

Please help me.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

1st AD posted:

Is there anything I should know/be aware of when removing an optical drive on a 2011 27" iMac? Mine is dead and I want to just replace it with an SSD.

There should be a location for a second drive that you can buy an adapter + cable for. (You may need to do this, otherwise if you don't have the right cable it can cause your fans to run at full speed...)

Either way it's a huge pain to get into, pulling the glass off, unhooking tiny surface mount cables. After that it's pretty straightforward. I had to pull mine apart twice to do it to make sure all the connectors are connected, and I almost ripped one off the logic board, it sucks. The magnet on the lower left of the glass came unglued as well, so my glass is slightly off.

I'm not the best at ripping Apple products apart though, because I accidentally broke the IR port cable off my Mac Mini pulling it apart as well. Basically I just buy stuff with enough space in it, keep my warranty and sanity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've done drive swaps on the OG Aluminum iMac before so getting into it won't be an issue, my main concern was placing any thermal sensors because I've hosed that up before.

Iirc there isn't a sensor on the optical drive, but I've never cracked this machine.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

fordan posted:

Apple needs to adapt their pricing to what 1TB SSDs cost these days. Their pricing would be ok for one bought like a year ago, but these days they're under $500 vs the $1k premium Apple charges to switch from a Fusion drive to the 1TB SSD.

It's worth noting that Apple's SSDs are PCIe, not the standard (slower) SATA type. There's a markup there for sure, but it's not as big as you're making it out to be.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looks my late 2008 macbook pro is finally gone. Computer won't turn on, but the charger still has an orange light (been charging about 30 mins) and when I click the charge light indicator on the side that works as well.

Tried doing an SMC reset, as well as a different charger but still nothing. I guess take it to the fruit stand just to double check. Anyone experience similar issue and got it to turn on. Was working fine as of last night. Left it unplugged from the charger so battery is all drained.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is it possible to get a new WiFi card that supports the AC spec and install in my 2011 27" iMac?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

killa-pope posted:

13" or 15"? I use a 128gb PNY StorEdge for music on my 13" MBA and it works perfectly. It's over half full and I've never noticed any stuttering or delays in using it. It sticks out only a mm or two on the MBA, and the packaging claims it does the same for the 15" rMBP, but the reviews on Amazon suggest it isn't near as flush for the 13".

It's the 15" Late 2013 model. To be honest while aesthetics and build quality was a huge part of my switching to being a full time Mac user in the last 5 years or so, I don't really care if something like an expansion card is flush with the edge of my laptop or not. I work most of the day with a USB nub sticking out probably 1 cm for my wireless headset, and occasionally standard multi inch USB sticks too. Never really bothered me much. External ports are there to be used.

Thanks for the response though. Here I'm interested in performance, so I'll probably buy that exact brand if someone else is vouching for it in my same use case.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My early 2011 Macbook Pro is constantly hitting its 4GB RAM ceiling with just iTunes, Chrome, and Activity Monitor open. I only have 5 tabs open right now and 'm at 3.57GB. Trying to use Photoshop or iMovie is a chore because it's so laggy. I didn't used to have this problem, what happened? Is it Yosemite? Should I upgrade it to 8GB?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys I took the plunge 5 minutes ago on my order... iMac Retina 5k. Upgraded Proc. Upgraded Graphics. 1tb Fusion. (Gonna add more rams myself...)

Should be here next week.

So.

loving.

Excited!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

My early 2011 Macbook Pro is constantly hitting its 4GB RAM ceiling with just iTunes, Chrome, and Activity Monitor open. I only have 5 tabs open right now and 'm at 3.57GB. Trying to use Photoshop or iMovie is a chore because it's so laggy. I didn't used to have this problem, what happened? Is it Yosemite? Should I upgrade it to 8GB?

RAM is cheap, just max it out. If you don't have an SSD, get one. With a fast drive and lots of RAM, a 2011 MBP should last for many many years.

But yeah software gets larger over time, it sucks. When everyone's got like 8 or 16gb of RAM, people stop caring about limiting their application's memory pressure. Even "Transmit", a darn FTP app, is like 70 megabytes... Chrome is especially terrible on OS X with memory usage, and CPU usage. I'd try to switch to Safari if you can, it's the most efficient on OS X, but I get not everyone will like it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bass Bottles posted:

What color is the memory pressure graph? OSX will try and use all of your RAM no matter how much RAM you have, so just saying 3.57GB is used isn't really enough information.

Adding more RAM or an SSD will only make things better, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is totally a "OMG I'm so impatient and excited" thing, but have you folks found that ETA on custom order iMacs ever come faster than their estimates? I mean, the estimate is reasonable. (I ordered today.... It's saying next Weds - Fri.) But yeah I'm just super anxious...:)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple estimates are pessimistic and it's common to get items early.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Ninja Rope posted:

What color is the memory pressure graph? OSX will try and use all of your RAM no matter how much RAM you have, so just saying 3.57GB is used isn't really enough information.

Adding more RAM or an SSD will only make things better, though.

Oh, yeah it's pretty low right now, but it does get really slow with minimal actual work, like minor Photoshop work with iTunes running. I'll have to price out a RAM upgrade and SSD and see if I can find it cheap enough to justify because I'd ideally like to keep this computer for a long time. It's just my personal laptop so it doesn't get too much heavy use, especially with other devices that are taking over some of the tasks I used to need it to do.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do Macs no longer come with line-in ports? I just went to rip a record and found out neither of my two Macs have a line-in. I found this on Apple's website, but it seems to be outdated. Looking at the tech specs posted, it seems the only computer which actually does have a line-in is the Mac mini. I would have expected it to be the rMBP and Mac Pro, if not everything.

If I use the iPhone headphones, I can capture the audio with that in-line mic, so the ability to "receive" audio obviously exists. Is there some software workaround I can use to "enable" my line in?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Feenix posted:

This is totally a "OMG I'm so impatient and excited" thing, but have you folks found that ETA on custom order iMacs ever come faster than their estimates? I mean, the estimate is reasonable. (I ordered today.... It's saying next Weds - Fri.) But yeah I'm just super anxious...:)

If you ordered it shipped to your home you'll be able to track it once it leaves the factory in China. Sadly for Ship-to-Store (which I do since I have an Apple Store in a tax-free state about 40 minutes away) you only get told that it was shipped.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

Do Macs no longer come with line-in ports? I just went to rip a record and found out neither of my two Macs have a line-in. I found this on Apple's website, but it seems to be outdated. Looking at the tech specs posted, it seems the only computer which actually does have a line-in is the Mac mini. I would have expected it to be the rMBP and Mac Pro, if not everything.

If I use the iPhone headphones, I can capture the audio with that in-line mic, so the ability to "receive" audio obviously exists. Is there some software workaround I can use to "enable" my line in?

It looks outdated? Does that mean that you tried to follow the steps or at least look in the current equivalent areas and didn't find anything?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Toe Rag posted:

You can buy a cheap breakout cable to turn the combined mic/headphone port into 1x mic and 1x headphone, but it won't be line-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Toe Rag posted:

8 bucks can solve this issue.