Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah, but couldn't center be all, "I have an amendment to your route, advise ready to copy" on you?

Like he said, then you ask to remain on your route and you'll get accommodated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I didn't know that was an option, there's some pretty lovely reroutes around Chicago and Portland airspace I would have liked to avoid while on IFR plans.
The 206 I fly is g600 (and a few other neat lil things) with g430/530 to drive it. Nice avionics but it's just more things that end up breaking. :/ and it doesn't make up for the fact that I despise Cessnas.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Kawachi posted:

First things first, cold beer! Next move will be to get myself about 5 hours in a cessna 206/210 and try and get myself a charter job at the top end of the country. I'll come back to the IR stuff later down the track.

Congrats! Although the idea of flying around NT in the wet season without an IR scares the gently caress out of me. Good luck with the hunt!

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 31, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

I didn't know that was an option, there's some pretty lovely reroutes around Chicago and Portland airspace I would have liked to avoid while on IFR plans.

That kind of stuff is a different situation. Reroutes like that are for traffic flow, LOA's, arrival routing, etc...

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Kawachi posted:

Been a long hard slog but I've finally managed to do it! I'm now a ASEL/AMEL Commercial NVFR!

OP updated! Congrats!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah, but couldn't center be all, "I have an amendment to your route, advise ready to copy" on you?

Then center gets to field questions from Washington state's entire congressional delegation.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

I didn't know that was an option, there's some pretty lovely reroutes around Chicago and Portland airspace

Sometimes it's an option, sometimes it's not. This time it was an option.

So I guess to fully answer your question, "what happens if ATC tries to reroute you, you ask to stay on the flight plan, and they reroute you anyway?" is:

"Well then the number 12 doesn't look entirely right when zoomed in."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Sometimes it's an option, sometimes it's not. This time it was an option.

So I guess to fully answer your question, "what happens if ATC tries to reroute you, you ask to stay on the flight plan, and they reroute you anyway?" is:

"Well then the number 12 doesn't look entirely right when zoomed in."

The likelihood of staying on your route when you're going from LAX to SFO and ATC has weather or flow restrictions is roughly zero.

The likelihood of doing so when your route is a bunch of random lat longs and you're returning to the same place you left (or near enough,) is much higher.

We're not dumb. We don't want to delay you, or send you a hundred miles out of your way, but sometimes you're just another airplane in an enormous line of airplanes that we're providing first-come-first-served service to, and the guys with the big picture in DC are trying to figure out how to shove a hundred pounds of poo poo airplanes an hour into a five pound bag an "international" airport with only one runway accepting jet arrivals. (I'm looking at you, PBI.)

:suicide:

Of course, the other point of view, mostly expressed by the older guys, is that flow control is literally the enemy. :v:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Yeah, it all depends on the airspace. We have a pretty hefty chunk of airspace Boieng does stuff like this in, random lat/long that is. They know what altitudes are normally used to commercial traffic and pick an altitude/course that doesn't interfere with all of it.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I'd say that depends entirely on why the ATSAPs are being filed. Many use them quite frequently to report systemic issues because they can be the best way to affect change at a facility.

Also, there's a big difference between having a loss of required separation and letting a legitimately dangerous situation develop. A head-On collision course is a different level of severity than compression on final, which is different than a VFR losing 1.5 miles with an IFR in class Bravo airspace when they had each other in sight etc. Plus, if you're the type that never has any reason to file an ATSAP report during your whole career, because you never let planes get any closer than 10 miles from each other, that's another issue of deficiency that won't likely be addressed.

Maybe all this is stuff you already agree with, or not, but I just wanted to express that there are many levels of nuance when assessing the performance of an air traffic controller. I don't think it's enough to say "we need to be harder on people who make X number of mistakes" or to assume that because a person isn't reporting that many mistakes, that they're a good controller.

Another attitude I want to address, which wasn't implied in any of the above posts but I know it happens a lot, is the belief that a controller who is training is at fault for the conflict during a training session. A trainee is training because they don't yet have the skills necessary to do the job on their own, it's incumbent on the trainer plugged in with them to fix the conflicts in a timely manner and not turn pattern aircraft head-on into arriving jets.

Around here atsaps on systemic issues tend to fall into a pit of nothingness and if you keep submitting reports on it people are more likely to wonder what you are doing wrong than what could be slow or broken with the system. The first question through our atsaps team heads "why does this controller have a problem with something no one else does?" So most of the atsaps around here are for aircraft to aircraft close calls.

Since atsap was introduced the number of violations (aircraft to aircraft) has gone up by almost double (in this facility). While I can't say for certain it is atsap I an only imagine that people here have taken it for a license to suck at their job. It could also be the workforce going from 25+ years of expertise to the new guys finally sitting in a seat of their own. I have about 6 years of experience and scared myself my fair share of times. My only deal being when I was training and I missed a call my trainee made while i was writing up what a good job he did with the push.

Asfar as separating by 10 miles I a required to have 5 and with the new radar the targets can jump around by a mile so doing 6 or even 7 miles can end with you filing an atsap on this new system. Granted there is always altitude but sometimes it is just less optimal when you have two aircraft with a slowvertake each headed west. Flying an 8 mile offset or parallel heading might be a better way to solve it.

I am all for more punishment on multiple offenders (of aircraft to aircraft violations) at least around here anyway. Something has to leave an impression on people to pay more attention and work together better.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Well, got LASIK this morning, so that's pretty cool. Better be 20/15 or 20/20 when I go for my follow up exam tomorrow. :/

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
LASIK is amazing. Stay the hell away from the computer for a day or so though, just let your eyes rest. I was 20/15 both eyes the day after, but you have to listen to what they tell you, and use the drops like crazy.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Well, got LASIK this morning, so that's pretty cool. Better be 20/15 or 20/20 when I go for my follow up exam tomorrow. :/

I'm gonna go for it with my tax returns. Please post details about the procedure, how much it cost, and what you had to do for your medical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question: How long will I have to endure friends and coworkers who are not pilots making some sort of "Danger Zone" joke at me? (I do not work at a spy agency btw if that affects calculations)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Minclark posted:

So most of the atsaps around here are for aircraft to aircraft close calls.

That's interesting. Comparitively more than reports for losses of separation that weren't close calls?

quote:

Since atsap was introduced the number of violations (aircraft to aircraft) has gone up by almost double (in this facility). While I can't say for certain it is atsap I an only imagine that people here have taken it for a license to suck at their job.

Is it not because now they're being reported instead of hidden? Perhaps they were happening with similar frequency before but not being tracked. A newer workforce could definitely be a factor, you're right. Experience can't be replaced.

quote:

Asfar as separating by 10 miles I a required to have 5

I was joking about folks who over separate, we only need 3 miles most of the time in the terminal area. Someone who runs ten miles between airplanes on final is not viewed as a very competent controller if you only need 3. My joke isn't as topical if you actually NEED 10 (or 5).

I appreciate your thoughts. I don't think fear of reprisal is as big of a motivator in this job as some of my coworkers believe. I think our poor controllers were poor before AND after ATSAP.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

That's interesting. Comparitively more than reports for losses of separation that weren't close calls?

I think it was September the center had enough deals to cover the entire year prior.

The Ferret King posted:

I don't think fear of reprisal is as big of a motivator in this job as some of my coworkers believe. I think our poor controllers were poor before AND after ATSAP.

I don't view it as fear its consequence. You can either do the job or you can't and if you can't you either get better or you get out. I am not perfect but I have yet to make the same mistake twice and when someone says "Do you need help?" I say yes and have someone sit there until I am comfortable again.

I think atsap is letting poor controllers off the hook and reducing peoples desire to get better at the job.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question: How long will I have to endure friends and coworkers who are not pilots making some sort of "Danger Zone" joke at me? (I do not work at a spy agency btw if that affects calculations)

Question: You're not the one making the initial danger zone jokes? And you call yourself a pilot?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Do you wave your hands in the air constantly during discussions at least?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Oh I do. Don't get me wrong, I was the first to make them, but 5 months later, I stopped doing it. They haven't.

(That being said, anytime I feel bad about my approaches, I watch the scene with Cougar. Even after I almost killed me and my instructor this morning. Wasn't a good morning)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh I do. Don't get me wrong, I was the first to make them, but 5 months later, I stopped doing it. They haven't.

(That being said, anytime I feel bad about my approaches, I watch the scene with Cougar. Even after I almost killed me and my instructor this morning. Wasn't a good morning)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

....yeah. Was a really bad approach. Not my best flying day. Fortunately, my trainer is not named Lana.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bunnyofdoom posted:

....yeah. Was a really bad approach. Not my best flying day. Fortunately, my trainer is not named Lana.

Don't feel too bad, I'm still amazed I passed my private practical. By far some of the worst flying I've ever done was with my DPE.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Don't feel too bad, I'm still amazed I passed my private practical. By far some of the worst flying I've ever done was with my DPE.

same here.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Let me put it this way. I beat cancer. This? This is baby town frolics. Tommorow is a new day, and if the snow storm backs off, then I will fly a perfect short field approach. And then soft field. Nothing, repeat, nothing is keeping me from that license.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

brendanwor posted:

Congrats! Although the idea of flying around NT in the wet season without an IR scares the gently caress out of me. Good luck with the hunt!

By the time I do the drive across the country and get settled in the dry should just be around the corner. The thought of no IR for the wet does scare the crap out of me. Guess there's always Kimberley 'VFR' :\

The Slaughter posted:

you want to fly a 206 eh? welcome to my lovely airplane.

It will be a refreshing change to get out of the arrow and into a 206/210! We'll see if I still the same after getting some hours in one.

Kawachi fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 1, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Minclark posted:

I think it was September the center had enough deals to cover the entire year prior.

That didn't really answer my question. I'm guessing every deal at your center is a close call then?

Minclark posted:

I think atsap is letting poor controllers off the hook and reducing peoples desire to get better at the job.

But why? They were already bad and not fired. I don't think any of my coworkers in their 40s have any intentions of changing their ways before retirement, with or without ATSAP (I don't even think most of them actually use ATSAP since they're suspicious of it).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

To be honest, I've seen more old timers get lax with ATSAP than younger. The only new people I see getting checked out and being possibly problematic are the ones that don't have the moral obligation, either through not being a lovely person or instilled through training.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
LASIK update: dr said I should be fine to fly. 20/15 in both eyes and I was able to read 3/4 of the letters on the 20/10 line.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

That didn't really answer my question. I'm guessing every deal at your center is a close call then?

If it wasn't close would it be a deal? How close do aicraft have to get before you decide it is a close call?

The Ferret King posted:

But why? They were already bad and not fired. I don't think any of my coworkers in their 40s have any intentions of changing their ways before retirement, with or without ATSAP (I don't even think most of them actually use ATSAP since they're suspicious of it).

Around here most of the controllers 40+ can at minimum seperate traffic efficent or not is debateable. The younger generation (after whitebook and atsap era) have never known what its like to sit on position and know the possibility of it being your last day or the last day of the person next to you is a possible outcome. This can create a situation where all you need to do is protect yourself to a certain degree and not help the person next to you. A part of my traiing was regardless of what the boss may assign always look around the room for someone who may need help instead if just checking the list for the next break. While I was only around for a little bit of that it was a part of my core training. Now its almost impossible to impress that upon a person who is mostly out to make sure they get just good enough to keep the job... which with the institution of atsap the bar is much lower. When you lower the bar people don't try to reach as high as they would have before.

I am terrible at explaining things it might be easier to look into some of the stories of how the older guys trained and those standards and compare it to how the newguys train and look at those standards. It maybe the same in a terminal facility but here... things have taken a slump for what I consider to be the worst.

I am fully willing to say that atsap may not be the whole problem but I consider it to be a good portion of it. Sometimes the expectations bar needs to remain sligtly higher so that those who don't continualy try to get better and apply themselves to problem solving get left behind.

Don't do away with atsap but give it some teeth.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Minclark posted:

If it wasn't close would it be a deal? How close do aicraft have to get before you decide it is a close call?

I'd call it subjective. 9.98 miles when you need 10 isn't a close call safety wise. 4.5 when you need 5 isn't a close call. I think you know what I meant but were trying to stick to the hyperbole that people are trying to crash airplanes left and right at your facility, and didn't want to stray from that when I directly questioned you about it twice.

I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe you guys are really having that many near mid airs, but it made me highly suspicious that you were negatively coloring the situation to fit your pessimistic outlook on the industry. And that outlook may very well be right, I just don't personally feel that way, and I was looking for something more concrete from you to prove your point.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I was looking for something more concrete from you to prove your point.

I can try and get numbers of incidents and point to where atsap was introduced but I won't be able to get exact distances of each incident. Also last year the snitch went regional so the facility doesn't track it anymore making it difficult to track an exact number.

Ofcourse datamining is exactly that and extrapolating information from that data is left up to each person viewing it. Would showing you an increasing amount of deals and increasing amount of atsap reports be enough? I'm not exactly sure how much information I have to send to convince you but its enough for me. I should have the numbers here in a few days pending managments aproval to release them.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Slaughter posted:

I would say the same to you. Try power for altitude and pitch for airspeed while on final in a Jet. That's the reason we teach pitch for altitude and power for airspeed. It also goes back to instrument training - when you're 1 dot low on an ILS, are you going to increase power? No, you're going to change your pitch.

Are we really going to hash out this forever-argued thing in the thread? Really. For GA people your way is fine, for anybody with future commercial ambitions, they should be following my way, because primacy. Also, the two big disclaimers are "this assumes power is a variable" and "there is a relationship between pitch, power, altitude, and airspeed and you're basically doing the same thing regardless of how you think about it". So.. don't do it backwards. :)

I do it that way regularly in a "Jet," and it works beautifully since it's in accordance with the laws of aerodynamics so I'm not sure what bad effect you threaten should befall me. And if I'm low on any approach, of course I'd increase power -- how else would I expect the airplane to shallow my approach or climb? Am I simultaneously tossing suitcases out the side or something? Is this a trick question/answer?

Apparently this forever-argued thing is worth hashing out again. I'll start with the end of your post, which I'm genuinely confused by. You note that the physical result would be the same regardless of the thought process behind it, but in the same sentence you reaffirm that your way is right and we should follow it. If it's all the same, what gives? Why not use either?

I'll answer why not, and why you should teach "pitch for airspeed."

The first reason touches on a very valid concern of yours, primacy. Our entire lives our brains have been getting wired up by the concept that wherever you point your nose, that's which way the vehicle goes (cars, bodies, movie depictions of airplanes, etc.) and, even worse, once we become pilots, 99% of the time the airplane behaves like that too, at least for the first few seconds. So for the majority of pilots, "what to do in or near a stall" falls by the wayside as an academic exercise, far removed from the everyday responses that become ingrained as second nature.

So, it's no surprise at all that when it counts most, in an unusual or panic situation, that people will revert to that mode of thinking reflex, and we get things like Buffalo, Air France 447, and countless students that try to simply lift the nose when coming in low. When staring wide-eyed at rising ground or an unwinding altimeter, is the most hopeless situation in which to expect someone to uproot everything their hands remember to do from bad reinforcement over X thousand flight hours, and immediately switch around their understanding of how the airpalne behaves.

Therefore, to use primacy toward the effect of good flying technique, we need to teach in accordance with the laws of flight dynamics, and have students really really understand and internalize them from the very beginning. And what are those laws?

For any steady-state flight condition, 1) Airspeed is determined solely by angle of attack, and 2) Climb/descent angle is determined solely by excess thrust. These rules are hard, indisputable, and always hold true regardless of what mental trick the pilot uses to remember to move which hand where, or the physical outcome of the airplane. Having someone understand at a gut level that when they're in dire need of airspeed, the only way to get it is a reduction in AOA, and that everything else is just icing on the cake, is how to most effectively arm someone to handle a crappy situation.

And it seems self-evident to me that the best way to teach how to fly an airplane would be, well, the way that an airplane flies. As a result of that, it's no surprise that the flying organization that has the most at stake in ultimate precision control, the US Navy, teaches pitch for airspeed and power for descent angle.

So, don't do it backwards :)

KodiakRS posted:

I think the best technique is to understand that power/speed/pitch/aoa/altitude are all related and that adjusting one will affect the others and you should coordinate their use to achieve a stabilized approach.

This type of thing is a side annoyance of mine. I mean I guess it's a good way of politely closing the topic after an unsettled pitch vs. power debate and moving on to having a beer or whatever; but as a "technique" it meaningfully says nothing. I agree that everything is interrelated, but then what? Which thing do I want to adjust, when, and for what purpose? Which other thing will it affect, and how? How do I coordinate their use to achieve a stabilized approach? Armed with this information, in the airplane with stick and throttle in hand, what am I to do any differently than I have been already?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 2, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Minclark posted:

I can try and get numbers of incidents and point to where atsap was introduced but I won't be able to get exact distances of each incident. Also last year the snitch went regional so the facility doesn't track it anymore making it difficult to track an exact number.

Ofcourse datamining is exactly that and extrapolating information from that data is left up to each person viewing it. Would showing you an increasing amount of deals and increasing amount of atsap reports be enough? I'm not exactly sure how much information I have to send to convince you but its enough for me. I should have the numbers here in a few days pending managments aproval to release them.

I don't care so much, I don't think you see my point anyway.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

I was looking for something more concrete from you to prove your point.

The Ferret King posted:

I don't care so much, I don't think you see my point anyway.

Man you crack me up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Minclark posted:

The younger generation (after whitebook and atsap era) have never known what its like to sit on position and know the possibility of it being your last day or the last day of the person next to you is a possible outcome

I hear this, but I also then hear stories of fairly constant deals back in the days of higher traffic and 2000ft separation and whatnot. Which was it? I think 90% of the poo poo I hear is "Things were so much harder back in my day when I had to walk uphill to work in the snow!" kind of stuff.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Gave some dual in a Bellanca SuperViking today. Neat airplanes.

Wondering if they are mainly a West Texas thing or if anybody else has ever flown them.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

vessbot posted:

I do it that way regularly in a "Jet," and it works beautifully since it's in accordance with the laws of aerodynamics so I'm not sure what bad effect you threaten should befall me. And if I'm low on any approach, of course I'd increase power -- how else would I expect the airplane to shallow my approach or climb? Am I simultaneously tossing suitcases out the side or something? Is this a trick question/answer?

Apparently this forever-argued thing is worth hashing out again. I'll start with the end of your post, which I'm genuinely confused by. You note that the physical result would be the same regardless of the thought process behind it, but in the same sentence you reaffirm that your way is right and we should follow it. If it's all the same, what gives? Why not use either?

I'll answer why not, and why you should teach "pitch for airspeed."

The first reason touches on a very valid concern of yours, primacy. Our entire lives our brains have been getting wired up by the concept that wherever you point your nose, that's which way the vehicle goes (cars, bodies, movie depictions of airplanes, etc.) and, even worse, once we become pilots, 99% of the time the airplane behaves like that too, at least for the first few seconds. So for the majority of pilots, "what to do in or near a stall" falls by the wayside as an academic exercise, far removed from the everyday responses that become ingrained as second nature.

So, it's no surprise at all that when it counts most, in an unusual or panic situation, that people will revert to that mode of thinking reflex, and we get things like Buffalo, Air France 447, and countless students that try to simply lift the nose when coming in low. When staring wide-eyed at rising ground or an unwinding altimeter, is the most hopeless situation in which to expect someone to uproot everything their hands remember to do from bad reinforcement over X thousand flight hours, and immediately switch around their understanding of how the airpalne behaves.

Therefore, to use primacy toward the effect of good flying technique, we need to teach in accordance with the laws of flight dynamics, and have students really really understand and internalize them from the very beginning. And what are those laws?

For any steady-state flight condition, 1) Airspeed is determined solely by angle of attack, and 2) Climb/descent angle is determined solely by excess thrust. These rules are hard, indisputable, and always hold true regardless of what mental trick the pilot uses to remember to move which hand where, or the physical outcome of the airplane. Having someone understand at a gut level that when they're in dire need of airspeed, the only way to get it is a reduction in AOA, and that everything else is just icing on the cake, is how to most effectively arm someone to handle a crappy situation.

And it seems self-evident to me that the best way to teach how to fly an airplane would be, well, the way that an airplane flies. As a result of that, it's no surprise that the flying organization that has the most at stake in ultimate precision control, the US Navy, teaches pitch for airspeed and power for descent angle.

So, don't do it backwards :)

This type of thing is a side annoyance of mine. I mean I guess it's a good way of politely closing the topic after an unsettled pitch vs. power debate and moving on to having a beer or whatever; but as a "technique" it meaningfully says nothing. I agree that everything is interrelated, but then what? Which thing do I want to adjust, when, and for what purpose? Which other thing will it affect, and how? How do I coordinate their use to achieve a stabilized approach? Armed with this information, in the airplane with stick and throttle in hand, what am I to do any differently than I have been already?

I agree, don't fly backwards, but I've done both methods (I was initially taught wrong and boy did my flying improve once I learned what controlled what.)
http://www.illustratingshadows.com/PitchPower.pdf
Pretty good summary of my thoughts on the deal. The navy says one thing, the FAA says another. This is a longstanding debate we ain't solving here but let's just agree the other person is flying backwards. :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

I hear this, but I also then hear stories of fairly constant deals back in the days of higher traffic and 2000ft separation and whatnot. Which was it? I think 90% of the poo poo I hear is "Things were so much harder back in my day when I had to walk uphill to work in the snow!" kind of stuff.

This was part of my point.

I don't need statistics and bar graphs. I would have accepted even anecdotal evidence as long as it wasn't "all of our deals were close calls." I know this wasn't true without seeing FOIA level information because I watch the news and they wouldn't have shut up about it if there was any way to make such a claim and put it out on the airwaves. Playing dumb with me after I specifically asked about the severity of the "deals" that ATSAP was logging only made me more skeptical.

"Aren't all deals close calls?" Come on, really?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Man you crack me up.

I think you're pretty funny myself.

Captain Apollo posted:

Wondering if they are mainly a West Texas thing or if anybody else has ever flown them.

I saw them fairly often around Waco and always thought they were really neat airplanes. I've been told that they're similar in riding comfort to a decent sedan, and I always thought they looked really cool. Plus, 160+kts isn't bad. Anytime I've expressed an affinity for the aircraft, someone's pointed out that they have a wooden wing and you have to be careful for rot, but I guess most airplanes have their own little pitfalls.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 2, 2014

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Captain Apollo posted:

At the tail end of my instructing career I had a BFR student that owned two 300HP Vikings. When I passed him on the BFR, he let me and another guy at my flight school use them as long as we bought fuel. Man, those things are friggin rocket ships. Climb at 2500ft/min, true at 180k and ride bumps like a champ. I was a little leery of messing up the fabric fuselage, but the Viking is a seriously cool old-school aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tagged along with a friend with a 182 going TMB-TPF-TMB yesterday morning:

It was a really pretty day, low hanging fog notwithstanding.

• Locked thread