Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Anderson would counter a middle finger with a perfectly timed tap to the jaw, dropping Nick face first to the mat. Nick would then bounce back up by yelling bitch into the canvas so loud his body flew straight back to standing like a Dracula who slept in his coffin face down.

loving lol

This and the Aesop fable about the scorpion from the 209 were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

1st AD posted:

Nick's chin hasn't deteriorated (at least that we can tell) and he can probably cruise to a decision based purely on volume.

Also Anderson is a Brazilian and I will always question whether or not a Brazilian will mentally crack once they start losing in a fight.

But what on earth makes you think anyone not named Weidman can stand in the pocket with Anderson? Didn't work so well for the sixteen people before him. Diaz is a baby punch man that hasn't won a fight in a very long time.

I guess this has reached chicken/egg territory.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Nick's chin hasn't deteriorated (at least that we can tell) and he can probably cruise to a decision based purely on volume.

Also Anderson is a Brazilian and I will always question whether or not a Brazilian will mentally crack once they start losing in a fight.

That is super hosed up to say about Anderson. C'mon. Do you remember 117?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Diaz got dropped by Daley. Obviously wasn't out but Anderson outclasses Daley by so much that he might get a TKO finish out of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To Daley's credit, he does hit as hard as a 24 wheeler. He, Hendricks and Lawler seem to have power on a whole other level at WW. Getting dropped by a clean shot from him isn't a shameful thing, rather that getting hit by one is the bigger issue.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I see Anderson vs. Nick going about like this -

And then Anderson Silva doing something like this -

And then going home and doing this -

He might not want to get that belt back, but Anderson is a A- fighter on his worst day. Nick Is a B+ guy on his best. Unless Anderson's chin got thrown in the river next to GSP's Serra Brick, I don't see a viable path to victory.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Aurain posted:

To Daley's credit, he does hit as hard as a 24 wheeler. He, Hendricks and Lawler seem to have power on a whole other level at WW. Getting dropped by a clean shot from him isn't a shameful thing, rather that getting hit by one is the bigger issue.

I don't know if he hits harder than Silva... I guess Silva drops people by hitting exactly the right place at the right time so it's not comparable to the bomb droppers you mention

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

niethan posted:

I don't know if he hits harder than Silva... I guess Silva drops people by hitting exactly the right place at the right time so it's not comparable to the bomb droppers you mention

Anderson hits hard as he fights south paw but he's actually right handed, so his jab is deceptively strong and it can drop people who just run at it as "it's just a jab". It isn't a bomb as you said, but it doesn't do Nick any favours as his response to jabs is to either take them on the face or headbutt them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Captain Log posted:

I see Anderson vs. Nick going about like this -

And then Anderson Silva doing something like this -

And then going home and doing this -

He might not want to get that belt back, but Anderson is a A- fighter on his worst day. Nick Is a B+ guy on his best. Unless Anderson's chin got thrown in the river next to GSP's Serra Brick, I don't see a viable path to victory.

Yes, fighting works by power levels like that nick will never be above a 300 rating fighter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neurosis posted:

Yes, fighting works by power levels like that nick will never be above a 300 rating fighter.

Are we about to start talking Pokemons because I don't know how the gently caress those work.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

Are we about to start talking Pokemons because I don't know how the gently caress those work.

Fighting type beats grass type

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Captain Log posted:

What about Nick's power and Anderson's chin makes this a compelling argument? If Nick can put his rear end into a punch hard enough to knock out even a shot Anderson (which I don't think he is) I'll be Gobsmacked.

Half of Nick's victories have come by knockout, he knocked out Lawler and broke KJ Noons jaw in the first round. Anderson was rocked by Chael Sonnen.
I don't think Nick's power and Anderson's chin is the problem with this argument.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Marching Powder posted:

Fighting type beats grass type

About to post this exact joke.

It's okay Log just using absolute values for a fighter will always sound silly given Dennis Hallman > Matt Hughes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neurosis posted:

About to post this exact joke.

It's okay Log just using absolute values for a fighter will always sound silly given Dennis Hallman > Matt Hughes.

I'm pretty sure that my bird outsmarts me on a daily basis. I don't trust my mouth words.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
In defense of Diaz' prospects, losing is actually winning for him because every time he loses he is then put in progressively bigger fights. Lost to Condit? Fights GSP. Lost to GSP? Fights Anderson Silva. I expect when he loses to Silva either Floyd Mayweather or Jesus Christ himself will be up next.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

In defense of Diaz' prospects, losing is actually winning for him because every time he loses he is then put in progressively bigger fights. Lost to Condit? Fights GSP. Lost to GSP? Fights Anderson Silva. I expect when he loses to Silva either Floyd Mayweather or Jesus Christ himself will be up next.

Nick Diakiyama

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I still love that he loses out on a GSP fight because of a media obligation he misses. He then headlines a card with BJ Penn after GSP vs Condit falls through because of GSP getting hurt and then gets an interim with Condit on that win.

He just stumbles his way through fights and money and it seems to work out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

BrianPhillips posted:

I still love that he loses out on a GSP fight because of a media obligation he misses. He then headlines a card with BJ Penn after GSP vs Condit falls through because of GSP getting hurt and then gets an interim with Condit on that win.

He just stumbles his way through fights and money and it seems to work out.

He is the polar opposite of Chael but some gets the same results.

Someone please post stoned Chael YouTube video now please thankyou.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBn0lIpNtEs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

High as gently caress but cogent as a motherfucker.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Nick is so much slower than Anderson that even if he's completely shot he's still going to be doing Matrix dodges and breakdancing around the ring.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Nick is so much slower than Anderson that even if he's completely shot he's still going to be doing Matrix dodges and breakdancing around the ring.

It'll be like the Bugs Bunny baseball cartoon where Bugs throws a changeup and strikes out like 7 of the Gashouse Gorillas, except Nick will throw an axe kick and Anderson will Thriller dance around him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's no way that Diaz ends up getting Forrested. He doesn't swing or charge in the way that sets up that kind of counter. It's unlikely that he's going to end up losing in that "deer in the headlights" way that Okami and Bonnar did (standing still and looking confused until getting ktfo), because (like Weidman) he keeps constant pressure on. Also no way that Anderson would be foolish enough to put his back to the fence against Nick Diaz. That'd be almost as ridiculous as handing Maia your back just for something to do.

If Anderson pulls out some classic "Anderson" against Diaz it'll probably look like Franklin II in which Diaz gets progressively cracked through a series of exchanges and counters and that way gets worn down over the course of a round or two before a tko. Plus leg kicks. The question is, as was said above, does 40 year-old Anderson still have the reflexes to do that to Diaz?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

fatherdog posted:

Anderson's breakdance voodoo works against frightened dudes who throw single strikes and refuse to hit the body. The very second he came up against a guy who threw a combo he died. Nick Diaz is too dumb to feel fear, throws more punches than any other two fighters put together and has mastered the dark art known as "punching the body".

Like, I don't think Diaz would be a lock to win because his chin's a bit iffy and his entire forehead seems to be made of scar tissue and arteries, but if you think Anderson Silva can Matrix dodge a constant stream of random punches for a meaningful length of time then lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Someone posted this sweet video of Nick's boxing combos in an earlier thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqQNkXDwII4

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSNu2wgDMVs

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick's been hittin the nunchucks extra hard for his return match.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

does Joe Rogan have any theories about time travel? because I believe all of them now

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Silva versus Weed Man, oh yeah

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 25, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Spoiler: taking damage in a fight from a fighter who is fighting you that makes you fight less well is a fundamental part of fighting.

Yeah and that is exactly what Barao said. You are equating that with ringside wizards and dengue fever.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It couldn't be more of a brazilian excuse. It's a perfect exemplar of the denial-soaked mysticisms that dummies with no humility or self-awareness cough up on the regular.

The fight was never close and the reason "I CANT REMEMBER FAILURE" is because he got murked about the head and chest non-stop for half an hour by a teen dynamo who saw through his one dimensional skills and had the perfect gameplan to punish them.

"i lost the fight because he hit me really hard" doesn't really compare to don't want to gently caress my wife, had to fly victor class, or severe jungle fever

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

At least it's sooooommeeeeewhaaaaat more sensible than when he first started calling out Anderson (which I thiiiiiink was while Silva was still the champ). Silva's on a two-fight losing streak too, so despite the circumstances being totally different it matches up a little better on paper.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Having heard about the whole "Brazilian excuses" thing after getting into the sport it's really a distortion. Yeah, Ricardo Arona and Wanderlei Silva have come up with some real noteworthy examples (like Arona's claiming he had dengue fever or that an illegal headbutt caused him to lose to Rampage) but it's not like American fighters haven't made tons of absurd excuses themselves. Nick Diaz not making weight because he ingested too much sodium from swimming in salt water, BJ Penn and Greasy GSP, Tito having a smashed skull while fighting Griffin, someone poisoning Rampage's food service, and Mark Coleman not bothering to train for a fight because he was "too broke."

As for the excuses attributed to Big Nog that are commonly out there, there's not a lot of evidence for them. Even the staph infection one can be traced back to Dana White using it as an excuse first, with Nog only confirming it when he was asked about it, not using it right out of the gate.

Making dumb excuses is obviously dumb, but dumbness knows no flags or borders

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Huh, didn't realize that Gono tapped "Nick Diaz" this year.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah and that is exactly what Barao said. You are equating that with ringside wizards and dengue fever.
No he's saying it's the sole reason he lost, which he is conflating with getting hit so hard that he didn't successfully make lasting memories of the fight, none of which he was unconscious or crippled for

Matt Brown nearly dies in half his fights and bounces back to win, outta here with that weaksauce horseshit
lmao

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 25, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Panama Red posted:

Mark Coleman not bothering to train for a fight because he was "too broke."

You don't believe this?

Panama Red posted:

As for the excuses attributed to Big Nog that are commonly out there, there's not a lot of evidence for them. Even the staph infection one can be traced back to Dana White using it as an excuse first, with Nog only confirming it when he was asked about it, not using it right out of the gate.

Making dumb excuses is obviously dumb, but dumbness knows no flags or borders

Nog literally just claimed part of the reason he lost is because he had to fly coach. Tons of fighters make excuses, but where as the American excuse rate might be around 50% the Brazilian excuse rate is around 95% and usually twice as stupid.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

There's no way that Diaz ends up getting Forrested. He doesn't swing or charge in the way that sets up that kind of counter. It's unlikely that he's going to end up losing in that "deer in the headlights" way that Okami and Bonnar did (standing still and looking confused until getting ktfo), because (like Weidman) he keeps constant pressure on. Also no way that Anderson would be foolish enough to put his back to the fence against Nick Diaz. That'd be almost as ridiculous as handing Maia your back just for something to do.

If Anderson pulls out some classic "Anderson" against Diaz it'll probably look like Franklin II in which Diaz gets progressively cracked through a series of exchanges and counters and that way gets worn down over the course of a round or two before a tko. Plus leg kicks. The question is, as was said above, does 40 year-old Anderson still have the reflexes to do that to Diaz?

This, exactly. Nick is a way better boxer than Forrest or Okami. He doesn't charge in, he won't get hypnotized. He'll get frustrated and punched in the face, but he can take a couple of those.

Silva's real weapon is leg kicks. But Diaz can put on some drat fine pressure.

I really hope this fight happens, but regardless I'm very happy to have Nick back.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

Big Nog complained that he had to ride coach, and the lack of an extra 1/2 inch of leg room hosed up his back against Roy if I'm not mistaken.

The king of plane excuses, though, is Nick "Toxic Water" Diaz.

diaz had plane water, and also: missed weight by 9 pounds due to the ocean

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A lot of the success Anderson had in the Okami/Griffin came from the fact that the things he was doing were making them break mentally.

I don't think quitting has ever crossed a Diaz's mind in a fight, and there's no way that Silva could make him break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Count Roland posted:

This, exactly. Nick is a way better boxer than Forrest or Okami. He doesn't charge in, he won't get hypnotized. He'll get frustrated and punched in the face, but he can take a couple of those.
Conversely, Nick Diaz takes the very presence of a scheduled opponent in the octagon with him as a personal affront, and reacts accordingly. He's probably not going to be mild mannered about top tier opponent with a legendary reputation actively taunting him to lure him out

• Locked thread