Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NikkolasKing posted:

What's Sephiroth's DLC outfit gonna be? He's more important and popular than everyone you listed, except maybe Cloud.

Hot nude XXX action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

NikkolasKing posted:

What's Sephiroth's DLC outfit gonna be? He's more important and popular than everyone you listed, except maybe Cloud.
Kuja.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the same reaction people have whenever a remake is announced, like recently with the Dwayne Johnson Big Trouble in Little China project. We know next to nothing about the project, and people are already screaming blasphemy.

Wait, what? I totally missed this. Normally, I think it's a waste of everything involved to remake a classic/old movie (Red Dawn), but every now and then, something comes along that makes me go, "Hmm... yeah... that sounds interesting.".

This is one of those things.

Hace posted:

Orchestras are played out, crazy synth and guitar are rad.

The entire soundtrack will be redone in dubstep, by KoЯn.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MonsieurChoc posted:

DLC costumes.

Cloud: Lightning
Barrett: Sazh
Tifa: Lulu
Aeris: SERAAAAAHHH!!!
Red XIII: Angelo
Yuffie: Shadow
Vincent: Dante from the Devil May Cry series
Cid: Another Cid

OK, what about a movie viewer like in MGS2:Substance where you can view any cinematic and swap any character model for any other?

Kind of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DD2kv1KPNo

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NikkolasKing posted:

Since Gackt has told Square where to shove it, my next theory would be Tetsuya Nomura himself.

vvvv I'm not sure, I'm just going by word-of-mouth from this thread.

darealkooky posted:

This is actually the one thing that people can say with 100% certainty isn't going to happen

gackt doesn't let square use his likeness anymore, which is why crisis core is like the one square game that isn't on the psn store in some form

I mean, they could always still bring him back so he can reference his dumb play, just with a completely different design, but at least he won't look like a ponce.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 19, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of curiosity, what happened between Gackt and Square?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Elentor posted:

Out of curiosity, what happened between Gackt and Square?

I'd like to know that myself. I honestly haven't heard of this. And I can't find anything using Google on this.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 19, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is the first I've heard of any bad blood between the two as well. Gackt isn't quite the superstar he once was and I figured that was the only reason he hasn't been in anything in the last several years.

I like Gackt's music for the most part - in fact way back when this thread started we had a discussion of Malice Mizer. (this thread feels like it's been going as long as MM has been disbanded) But I'm glad he won't be in FFVII. I liked the rock music in Advent Children and Crisis Core but I don't want any rock or metal in FFVII Remake.

Is Uematsu still in a rock/metal phase? It all started with FFX of course and then he went on to found The Black Mages but I'm not sure if they're still a thing.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
What I wanna know is who the hell is Gackt, what does he have to do with Final Fantasy (I stopped paying attention to anything after XII) and why is he named after a Nickelodeon toy?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MR. J posted:

What I wanna know is who the hell is Gackt, what does he have to do with Final Fantasy (I stopped paying attention to anything after XII) and why is he named after a Nickelodeon toy?

He is/was a super popular Japanese singer. That's mostly it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In particular, he's a (formerly) famous J-pop singer that Nomura is a huge fan of. A lot of his designs come from the particular music/fashion scene Gackt was in at any given time.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This is the first I've heard of any bad blood between the two as well. Gackt isn't quite the superstar he once was and I figured that was the only reason he hasn't been in anything in the last several years.

I like Gackt's music for the most part - in fact way back when this thread started we had a discussion of Malice Mizer. (this thread feels like it's been going as long as MM has been disbanded) But I'm glad he won't be in FFVII. I liked the rock music in Advent Children and Crisis Core but I don't want any rock or metal in FFVII Remake.

Is Uematsu still in a rock/metal phase? It all started with FFX of course and then he went on to found The Black Mages but I'm not sure if they're still a thing.

Uematsu's was always rooted in rock and metal. It long predates most FF games as I remember. As we got to the Playstation generation the technology allowed him to imitate it better, but I'm reluctant to call it a phase

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't remember any rock songs in FFVII-IX. Maybe Dark Messenger, kinda? There's absolutely nothing on par with Otherworld which is why Otherworld is kind of a cult hit by this point. It was so unexpected from an FF game.

MR. J posted:

He's the singer.

He was one of the biggest stars in Japan for about a decade or a little more; from the late 90s through all of the 00's.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

KataraniSword posted:

In particular, he's a (formerly) famous J-pop singer that Nomura is a huge fan of. A lot of his designs come from the particular music/fashion scene Gackt was in at any given time.

You're telling me actual humans wore something like Tidus's outfit, before FFX was a thing?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hace posted:

Orchestras are played out, crazy synth and guitar are rad.

It will be all dubstep, with Skrillex credited for Wubby Chocobo

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You're telling me actual humans wore something like Tidus's outfit, before FFX was a thing?

Squall's outfit is basically exactly the same thing Gackt wore at one point. GIS Gackt + Squall.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Senior Woodchuck posted:

As a costume for a concert, not as everyday wear for all climates and situations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ostensibly, anyway.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I can't even think Tidus' clothes look weird anymore after seeing poo poo like Nooj. The kid looks downright sensible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tidus just has an extremely warm chest and extremely cold right knee.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't remember any rock songs in FFVII-IX. Maybe Dark Messenger, kinda? There's absolutely nothing on par with Otherworld which is why Otherworld is kind of a cult hit by this point. It was so unexpected from an FF game.

The VII boss battle music is very rock, in so far as MIDI allows for rock. The Black Mages version of it is remarkable in that it only sounds slightly different than the game version.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 19, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know poo poo about technology and the like but the PS1 version used MIDI? I thought MIDI was what the PC version used. It was a horribly inferior version of the soundtrack that sounded a lot more...uh, simplistic I guess you could call it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

NikkolasKing posted:

I know poo poo about technology and the like but the PS1 version used MIDI? I thought MIDI was what the PC version used. It was a horribly inferior version of the soundtrack that sounded a lot more...uh, simplistic I guess you could call it.

Technically MIDI is just a script. Quality depends on the thing reading the MIDI.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
(I am not a MIDI expert—feel free to correct me/take with a grain of salt)

Tons of games, old and new, have MIDIs, with samples on piano rolls/music sheet-type things. If you listen to a few PSX games with music done by the same composer released relatively close to each other, they even use the same samples for every game, even though the songs are different. It's kind of like when you search Youtube for "remastered" versions of game songs, and it's all people using the same overused sample pack in FruityLoops.

MIDI isn't limited to just old PC games. The reason FF7 PC's MIDIs sound crappy compared to the PSX version is because the PSX version's MIDIs were made with better samples. Your sound card isn't going to have the same synthetic instruments the composer used for the PSX version, though different sound cards and soundfonts will all make the PC version sound different. As I know it, anything that wasn't made to be played MIDI-style with a custom soundfont was a CD track made without the restrictions of MIDI. Some PSX games, like Silhouette Mirage, had their entire soundtrack that way. You could pop the game into any CD player (including the PSX itself) and enjoy the music anytime.

Most GBA and DS game music (just for two examples) can be dumped to MIDI format, with a soundfont file that goes with it. Play the MIDI file in your media player of choice with the corresponding soundfont, and the result is a MIDI that sounds exactly like the source. This also allows you to listen to GBA music without the static.

MIDI isn't inherently bad; it's all about the soundfonts. Though, General MIDI and the FM synth from lower-end, 1990s sound cards have nostalgia value these days.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Just to clarify, what the various consoles use is not "MIDI" per se -- that refers to a very specific PC file format. They each do their own proprietary MIDI-like equivalent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

This entire video looks like it came straight out of the homebrew Beatmania scene.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

NikkolasKing posted:

He's the singer.

He was one of the biggest stars in Japan for about a decade or a little more; from the late 90s through all of the 00's.

I can forgive SE's infatuation with Gackt because that same strange impulse is also what has them continuing to let Yoko Taro make games.

I'd be :allears: if they made a DLC costume pack from Drakengard/Nier.

EDIT:
Cloud->Caim
Barret->(father) Nier
Tifa->Eris
Aeris->Manah lol
Red XIII->Mikhail
Cait Sith->P-33 & Young Shade
Cid->Urick
Vincent->Leonard
Yuffie->Khaine
Sephiroth->Zero :pervert:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 19, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It will be all dubstep, with Skrillex credited for Wubby Chocobo
Yanno we haven't had a Chocobo de Wub song yet, I mean we've had every other genre so it's only a matter of time.

If this remake legit puts in an alternate Chocodubstep theme, mission accomplished.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MIDI is an encoding and communications protocol for telling electronic instruments how to play nice among each other. Note pitch, duration, vibrato, etc. the sound quality comes from the synthesizer or sampler playing it back. It's like a piece of sheet music for an (and just about any at this point) electronic, microprocessor-controlled instrument.

Like a cello solo written by Bach and then played by me vs. Yo-Yo Ma.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Yanno we haven't had a Chocobo de Wub song yet, I mean we've had every other genre so it's only a matter of time.

If this remake legit puts in an alternate Chocodubstep theme, mission accomplished.

Here's one for you.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

a good idea

Oh good Lord, it didn't hit me that this is actually possible.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
So the remake is being done now before everyone gets too old.

quote:

“To put it simply, one of main reasons is the timing for the staff members that are developing the game, and how it worked out in our favor,” Nomura elaborates. “Also, as we’ve seen, Square Enix now has more PlayStation 4 titles, so we felt that we could increase the console’s popularity, and make an announcement before those games release. And there’s one more thing—we’re hitting that age.”

“Of all the staff that worked on the original Final Fantasy VII, and those who are working on the remake, I’m the youngest one,” Nomura explains. “I’m 45 years old now. If we continued on without doing a remake, [Yoshinori] Kitase and [Kazushige] Nojima are well older than me… so, yeah,” Nomura explains with a laugh. “With this timing and opportunity in mind, we decided to just got for it.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/19/why-square-enix-decided-to-finally-make-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SirPhoebos posted:

I can forgive SE's infatuation with Gackt because that same strange impulse is also what has them continuing to let Yoko Taro make games.

I'd be :allears: if they made a DLC costume pack from Drakengard/Nier.

EDIT:
Cloud->Caim
Barret->(father) Nier
Tifa->Eris
Aeris->Manah lol
Red XIII->Mikhail
Cait Sith->P-33 & Young Shade
Cid->Urick
Vincent->Leonard
Yuffie->Khaine
Sephiroth->Zero :pervert:

Yes, this would get my money.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's a really, really, really good reason to do it now, to be honest.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Okay no that's pretty rad I enjoyed that thanks. :D

Yeah that is a pretty good reason, at least while you still have some of the original people who still REMEMBER how the game was and all, I know that there's like business strategy reasons and that's okay too but

holy poo poo Nomura is 45 I thought he was like mid-30s. :stonk:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

FinalGamer posted:

holy poo poo Nomura is 45 I thought he was like mid-30s. :stonk:

Then he would have been making these games in high school. VII came out in what, 1997? That's almost twenty years ago.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nidoking posted:

Then he would have been making these games in high school. VII came out in what, 1997? That's almost twenty years ago.

Well he was making 'em just after high school, iirc he was a monster spriter for FF4.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

The White Dragon posted:

Well he was making 'em just after high school, iirc he was a monster spriter for FF4.

Sure, and he'd have been in elementary school then, or junior high at the latest, if he were 35 today. I doubt the available tools for 3D modeling in Playstation games would have been very accessible to high schoolers. I don't doubt they're better today, but they were pretty new at the time, weren't they?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I wonder why they never did anything with that PS3 FF7 tech demo? Everyone knew it would be basically printing money and yet nothing ever became of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ak Gara posted:

I wonder why they never did anything with that PS3 FF7 tech demo? Everyone knew it would be basically printing money and yet nothing ever became of it.

All it takes is to read any thread about FF7 or its remake to figure out why they'd be hesitant to actually release anything until they're good and ready.

• Locked thread