Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

At this point it's better to ask who hasn't been made into a romance option by someone?

Not as many as you might think in BG1: Ajantis, Xan, Coran, Branwen, Dynaheir, Shar-Teel. The Kivan romance mod for BG2 is completely unconnected to this mod, while the Ajantis, Xan, and Gavin mods are direct continuations of their counterparts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Cythereal posted:

He's a romance option. Tremble in fear.
It took a mod, but I guess whatshername from the old BG boards finally got what she wanted.

It's kind of saying something when you fixate on one NPC so much that the makers of the game put in a special encounter in the sequel making fun of you and your obsession.

Though thinking about it, really that's what all the godawful romance things forced into BG1 feel like. Someone deserving of scorn instead got to spooge up their terrible fanfiction all over an otherwise perfectly good game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sejs Cube posted:

It took a mod, but I guess whatshername from the old BG boards finally got what she wanted.

It's kind of saying something when you fixate on one NPC so much that the makers of the game put in a special encounter in the sequel making fun of you and your obsession.

Though thinking about it, really that's what all the godawful romance things forced into BG1 feel like. Someone deserving of scorn instead got to spooge up their terrible fanfiction all over an otherwise perfectly good game.

If it's any consolation, the BG1 NPC Project has a mixed reputation even among modders. It's hugely variable in quality, as you might expect from a project that took years with a dozen people working on it. Some NPCs are generally agreed to be well-written in this mod, even if you don't necessarily agree with the direction they were taken. Others... not so much. Just wait till we meet BG1 NPC Faldorn...

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

If it's any consolation, the BG1 NPC Project has a mixed reputation even among modders. It's hugely variable in quality, as you might expect from a project that took years with a dozen people working on it. Some NPCs are generally agreed to be well-written in this mod, even if you don't necessarily agree with the direction they were taken. Others... not so much. Just wait till we meet BG1 NPC Faldorn...
Let me guess, she's no longer a rabid eco-terrorist with a deep, abiding hatred of mankind ... deep down she really just needs someone to love her and apply Bioware levels of healing cock?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sejs Cube posted:

Let me guess, she's no longer a rabid eco-terrorist with a deep, abiding hatred of mankind ... deep down she really just needs someone to love her and apply Bioware levels of healing cock?

Quite the opposite. She's so rabid she goes "Grrrrr!" every other line.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cythereal posted:

He's a romance option. Tremble in fear.
That actually makes a bit more sense than freaking Kivan. You apparently dislike the romance, so it's probably decent.

Sejs Cube posted:

?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Brainamp posted:

At this point it's better to ask who hasn't been made into a romance option by someone?

Tiax :smith:

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Xander77 posted:

?
You know when Coran shows up in BG2? That one.

Mister Adequate posted:

Tiax :smith:
When TIAX rules...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sejs Cube posted:

Is that the dude in the random wilderness region whose girlfriend turns into a werewolf? Because if not, I'm going to need a better refresher.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sejs Cube posted:

One of our party members attacks him with werewolves? I don't really recall beyond that.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is that the dude in the random wilderness region whose girlfriend turns into a werewolf? Because if not, I'm going to need a better refresher.
Yep, that's the one. I was kinda trying to be sly on account of spoilers, but eh gently caress it, it's a minor encounter and frankly it's a million years in the future from where we are now.

In BG2, on the Forest of Tethyr map, there's a brief interlude that features the return of Coran and Safana from BG1. Also present are a group of wolfweres (not werewolves, no idea why) lead by a lady type named Lanfear. Minor betrayal subplot follows, but the hook lies in the fact that it turns out this Lanfear person is overboard, psycho ex-girlfriend levels of obsessed with Coran. Coran finds the whole thing creepy and obsessive and wants nothing to do with her. "Get this crazy bitch away from me."

You see, back in the mists of time, when the internet was still in its awkward teen years and back when the old BG message boards were still a thing, one of the people who posted there regularly was a young lady of the European persuasion who went by the name of Lanfear. Lanfear was loving goofballs over Coran. Coran was the absolute best thing. She loved Coran. Coran, Coran, Coran. Before there was even word that BG2 was in development she was already marching up and down the row, waving a sign, and loudly proclaiming that Coran must be in the sequel to Baldur's Gate. It HAD to happen. Once BG2's dev was actually announced, she loving exploded. Petitions, little fan-shrine web pages, the works. Girl was rabid.

Needless to say, the devs (as well as everyfuckingone else) got rather tired of that poo poo in short order. You like the character, we get it, shut up. Please. But she doesn't. So, time comes that word rolls down the pipe that okay, we give, obviously this means a lot to you, Coran will be in BG2 - we're sure you'll like how he's been implemented. We even gave you a little cameo as well, given that you're the one who convinced us to put him in.

Sejs Cube fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 24, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

That's interesting (I'd change the order of the paragraphs around to make a coherent story with a punchline, but the question was answered so who cares)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Garstal doesn't bend to audience's demands for coherence. Eurmal's will is his command.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Which portrait does he end up with if you're using his default? Xan's secondary is absolutely great, so I'm wondering if Kivan's is equally "fitting".

If you take Kivan's portrait for yourself, Kivan himself looks like this:

It would be sooo fitting to use this portrait for the new, modded Kivan.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Bioware team were pretty cool about fan cameos. A certain half-orc in ToB was based on the postings of a forum user, down to his "Hah! Good fun!" catchphrase.

There may be more, but I'm not sure.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

sebzilla posted:

The Bioware team were pretty cool about fan cameos. A certain half-orc in ToB was based on the postings of a forum user, down to his "Hah! Good fun!" catchphrase.

You know, I'd ask what had happened to Bioware but every thread that asks this question gets their thread locked and/or gassed. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Apparently David Gaider was the guy who did the Lanfear encounter. He was always fairly engaged with the fan community, and I used to think he was pretty cool when he helped create the ToB Ascension mod.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

He was cool until approximately half-way through the DA:O production cycle, I think. There was a great quote from him early on saying how a game's hard mode should kill your party, delete your save file and send an email detailing your ignominious defeat to all your friends. And then he wrote lovely romances and fell in love with Alistair or something, I don't know. I used to post on their forum a lot but haven't touched it in about 5 years.

But yeah, Ascension is great, BG2 is great, sorry for derailing. JGBeagle has the right idea.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

markus_cz posted:

If you take Kivan's portrait for yourself, Kivan himself looks like this:

It would be sooo fitting to use this portrait for the new, modded Kivan.

Ha! Amazing. I'd definitely be in favour of replacing his current one with this.

JGBeagle posted:

You know, I'd ask what had happened to Bioware but every thread that asks this question gets their thread locked and/or gassed. :v:

Yeah, it's probably best if we avoid those discussions here. There are Mass Effect and Dragon Age threads in Games if anyone wants to bitch about anything specifically related to them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Brainamp posted:

It's always baffled me that nobody's done one for Safana, considering what a hilariously gigantic cockteasing liar she is; but I guess everyone just always takes Imoen so she never gets a look in edgeways (even though Nalia's got one).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Trin Tragula posted:

It's always baffled me that nobody's done one for Safana, considering what a hilariously gigantic cockteasing liar she is; but I guess everyone just always takes Imoen so she never gets a look in edgeways (even though Nalia's got one).

Why have a cocktease when you have a half-sister. Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trin Tragula posted:

Nalia's got two, actually. Of the BG2 ensemble, only Mazzy, Jan, and Korgan don't have romance mods of any kind. Even Cernd has a component in Romantic Encounters.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Nalia's got two, actually. Of the BG2 ensemble, only Mazzy, Jan, and Korgan don't have romance mods of any kind. Even Cernd has a component in Romantic Encounters.

Wha... are you saying there's a Keldorn romance?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sebzilla posted:

I wish I wasn't.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Why are you guys more surprised by the Keldorn romance than by the Cernd one? IIRC, they are both in basically the same emotional position - their relationship with their family went south due to their devotion to duty - only Keldorn is by far the more interesting and sympathetic character (and also wayyyy more powerful, of course).

Regardless, either of them makes a lot more sense as a romantic partner to me than loving Minsc - for Christ's sake, I can't picture any kind of romance dialogue that doesn't come off as basically raping a child in a man's body :cry:. Hell, I find that far worse than the Imoen romance, given that she's a half-sister only in a theoretical sense (since neither genetics nor the Westermark effect are involved).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NihilCredo posted:

Why are you guys more surprised by the Keldorn romance than by the Cernd one? IIRC, they are both in basically the same emotional position - their relationship with their family went south due to their devotion to duty - only Keldorn is by far the more interesting and sympathetic character (and also wayyyy more powerful, of course).

Regardless, either of them makes a lot more sense as a romantic partner to me than loving Minsc - for Christ's sake, I can't picture any kind of romance dialogue that doesn't come off as basically raping a child in a man's body :cry:. Hell, I find that far worse than the Imoen romance, given that she's a half-sister only in a theoretical sense (since neither genetics nor the Westermark effect are involved).

Oh, true, I don't think any of the Minsc romance mods were ever completed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^

Whew. Best news of the day.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"Minsc, and boo, stand ready!"

But in all seriousness, gently caress the people who feel that mods like that poo poo should exist.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

sebzilla posted:

Thought that was common knowledge.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Granted, I may be insane, but I find that the worst part about the Keldorn romance is not romancing him (My parents were pretty far apart in age, although I guess it wasn't as huge as PC and Keldorn would be) but the fact that the authoress found some (rather stupid) way to split up Keldorn and his wife. It's like, they are a pretty good couple at the end and then suddenly "Oh I got a note from my wife we're divorcing."

I just couldn't wrap my head around it. It seemed so stupid. I guess if you don't find that so weird or terrible, then the romance isn't *so* bad (I mean it's not like he's suddenly having the hots for you even though he's married at the time).

Honestly I like the modder, because she's done some stuff that is pretty good, but I felt she should have worked with another sort of paladin dude (like the one whose picture someone put up a while back). It would have made more sense.

(Is this pretty spoilery? I don't even know, I can change it if people are uneasy...)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Charlett posted:

Granted, I may be insaneuneasy...)

You... you have joined the dark side.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

soooo... all those in favor of romancing Keldorn if we're still female by then?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vorgen posted:

+1 :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Well, we are a half-elf, so maybe we're actually the same age as him...

I mean NO. I don't care how Connery-esque he is, that's just wrong.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Vorgen, mind if I change your portrait to your female form? It just seems wrong to have your old form, let alone a non-golden one.

(Also let me know what your preference for your subtext.)

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Nah, Syvishtara doesn't have nearly enough daddy issues to make that jive.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sejs Cube posted:

Nah, Syvishtara doesn't have nearly enough daddy issues to make that jive.

Baldur's Gate... daddy issues... nope, can't see it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

ETB posted:

Vorgen, mind if I change your portrait to your female form? It just seems wrong to have your old form, let alone a non-golden one.

(Also let me know what your preference for your subtext.)

Sure, by all means! Here are all three sizes for you to work with:

I actually really like the current subtext, so I don't have any better idea than that. But you can change it if you'd like :).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vorgen posted:

Sure, by all means! Here are all three sizes for you to work with:

I actually really like the current subtext, so I don't have any better idea than that. But you can change it if you'd like :).

You should change it to something like:

quote:

Party Membership is a Democracy.

The Weave is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Vorgen posted:

Yes. All of them.

:v:

• Locked thread