Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's an updated rulebook pdf over on BGG. Maybe they were clearing out old stock with the free coupon to speed up the process of getting to a revised printing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

In talking with one of the employees, it sounded like there were piles of the game in the warehouse. Brad made a unilateral decision to clear house. I'm guessing it wasn't selling at all. With Millennium Blades, the expansion, Megaman Pixel Tactics, and Trial of Indines on the horizon, I would guess he just wanted to clear up the space period. The reason I jumped on the game is that I assumed it was going to be OOP soon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's pretty early L99 (around the same time was Devastation?) so those copies have probably been sitting around for over three years. I get the impression it just never hit... so to speak.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's pretty early L99 (around the same time was Devastation?) so those copies have probably been sitting around for over three years. I get the impression it just never hit... so to speak.

One of the problems I see with it is the fact that over on the BGG forums it keeps getting referred to as a "sandbox" game. I think even the published rulebook calls it a "toolbox" more than a discrete game. While that's certainly a cool concept, I think when most people buy a game, they expect to have a game, not a tool kit.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I love Brad's Devastation-and-later games with my whole heart, but Disc Duelers and 7-Card Slugfest are garbage. I expect the latter to have a similar fire sale at some point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Trip report; played a game of Disc Duelers with my wife and we had a fun time. This is definitely not a $40 game, and I'm pretty satisfied with the $10.50 I spent on shipping for my copy. Its a neat little time waster, but I wouldn't have even given it a second look if I wasn't familiar with the characters through Pixel Tactics and BattleCON.

Gutter Owl posted:

I love Brad's Devastation-and-later games with my whole heart, but Disc Duelers and 7-Card Slugfest are garbage. I expect the latter to have a similar fire sale at some point.

I'd be okay with getting 7-Card Slugfest dirt cheap in the near future.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I played some pixel tactics and it was fun and enjoyable and I look forward to playing it more in the future.

EXCEED and BattleCON look like fun and I hope to one day be able to afford and purchase them to play with my fiancee.

Do either go on sale often, and is there a recommended base pack thing to start with for either?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FirstAidKite posted:

I played some pixel tactics and it was fun and enjoyable and I look forward to playing it more in the future.

EXCEED and BattleCON look like fun and I hope to one day be able to afford and purchase them to play with my fiancee.

Do either go on sale often, and is there a recommended base pack thing to start with for either?

War of Indines (the revised one, not the lovely art one [see pictures in the OP]) is a good starting place for BattleCON. Its not the smallest of the three core boxes...but the small one is full of really technical characters, so you might be overwhelmed if you start with it.

There's also a free Print-n-Play if you want to try the demo before buying the full game.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Every Exceed pack is it's own base pack, so just pick the one with characters you like the look of best.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Trials of Indines (for BattleCON) should be out early this year, and that actually will be a decent starting point.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Good lord, this pledge survey for MM Pixel Tactics is making me feel like an idiot. I had the Stage Select level and then added some cash to get the Stardroids and (I thought?) the Orange Box/Bass stuff.

So...I put 0 for everything except a 1 for Stage Select and a 1 for Stardroids? Where's the orange box?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

food court bailiff posted:

Good lord, this pledge survey for MM Pixel Tactics is making me feel like an idiot. I had the Stage Select level and then added some cash to get the Stardroids and (I thought?) the Orange Box/Bass stuff.

So...I put 0 for everything except a 1 for Stage Select and a 1 for Stardroids? Where's the orange box?

The Bass box is all stretch goal content. The final goal was putting it all together in a box rather than just shipping a sack-o-cards.

So 1 Stage Select + 1 Star Droids is exactly what you need :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played a couple of games of Dragon Punch, it's pretty nice and light and works well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tekopo posted:

I played a couple of games of Dragon Punch, it's pretty nice and light and works well.

I wanted to pick that up like a year ago. Good to hear.

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, I was putting down 1 blue box, 1 red box when I noticed that Stage Select matched my pledge. :downs: I figured it out then.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bad news I have no idea where the battlecon / exceed league stuff is on the level99 website.

On the plus side the Seventh Cross game has me hyped despite not having too much information on it yet!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Mega man pixel tactics looks neat. If I had income and 48 bucks I'd probably toss it their way for the 3 decks and the stardroids :) Shame they couldn't work something out in regards to 7 and 8 tho

My copy of EXCEED comes in today! I got uhh the nehtali ?? pack pack for a little over $16, I had some amazon credit from xmas gifts so I got that and I look forward to playing EXCEED :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LordAba posted:

Bad news I have no idea where the battlecon / exceed league stuff is on the level99 website.

On the plus side the Seventh Cross game has me hyped despite not having too much information on it yet!

Yeah and those character showing up in exceed later is gonna be rad I hope.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The production samples for Megaman Pixel Tactics are looking good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Looks like they're using boxes of softer paper/cardboard? That's a shame, I really like the feel of the thicker, firmer stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

Looks like they're using boxes of softer paper/cardboard? That's a shame, I really like the feel of the thicker, firmer stuff.

Genuinely curious as to how you're telling that from the pic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

Genuinely curious as to how you're telling that from the pic?
The corners don't look very sharp. The other PT boxes have a very firm, thick sort of cardboard that I like a lot, but never really see on boxes bigger than those.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, hopefully that's just the shrink wrap throwing it off. I like those PT boxes too

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

Just get Pixel Tactics DX. They'll fit fine in that!

EDIT: Wait, people actually like those boxes? I thought they pixel tactics boxes were poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LordAba posted:

Just get Pixel Tactics DX. They'll fit fine in that!

EDIT: Wait, people actually like those boxes? I thought they pixel tactics boxes were poo poo.

The old hanging tuckboxes were pretty garbage. The newer ones are nice and solid.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The old hanging tuckboxes were pretty garbage. The newer ones are nice and solid.

Ah, gotcha. Don't remember the newer ones.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LordAba posted:

https://www.level99games.com/seventh-cross

Art is so anime it hurts...in a good way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is that just anime bloodborne the board game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that just anime bloodborne the board game

Looks like Bloodborne/Devil May Cry/Hellsing and I couldn't be more excited

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm stoked to see how it plays and more of the setting.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Seventh Cross has me...a bit wary.

The look and theme are right up my alley, but the game cites Betrayal at House on the Hill and Tales of the Arabian Nights as direct mechanical influences--two games I'm not very fond of, and whose imitators have consistently ranged from mediocre to godawful.

Plus, even if Brad doesn't fall into the worst pitfalls of its predecessors, this seems like a game that will live or die on the strength of its writing. And Brad's writing to date has been somewhere between shaky fanfiction and Original Character Do Not Steal.

I think i'm gonna wait and see on this one.

EDIT: Also, I haven't beaten anyone up lately. Anyone for BattleCON?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 22, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sure, how are we doing it again, these days? :raise:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

A mod would be nice, but we can hit up the BattleCON bot otherwise.

I assume it's still working, anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's been a hot minute since I've done it, but if you didn't mind me taking a little while to get back in the groove of it (and probably make some mistakes along the way), I can probably mod.

Force Gauge?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm pro-Force Gauge these days, even though it'll slow things down a bit.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sure.

(Can't wait to see how the new Trials Force Gauge works out.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone sum up the new rules for me? I've been out of it for a while.

(Also, PM me your character choices.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

They haven't posted a final rulebook, so we can't really play with them, but:

There's a pool of 45 force at the start of the game, each player gets 1 (or 2) during Recycle. When the pile runs out, you play one more beat and then Time Out. (Replaces the Beat 15 time out. Also, a time out never ends in a tie--the Active Player wins in a life total tie. Which works since Dash is getting removed in favor of Dodge.)

One of the Overcharge options is getting removed, gently caress if I remember which one. Also, the Force Pulse is getting removed.

EDIT: Hey ARBy's. Do you wanna do a casual match or a tryhard match? Trying to decide if I wanna bring in a tournament main or go Random Select.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tanis vs Voco, got it.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Pff, nah.

Tanis/Aria v Tanis/Aria Tag Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Power, Stunning Guard, and Priority are the remaining overcharges. I never actually played with the Fate rules, but I think Soak is the option that got removed.