Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Full disclosure up front: I am writing and designing the adventure game "Norse Noir: Loki's Exile", currently on Kickstarter. In what is an incredibly blatant attempt to drum up traffic to said KS and our social media sites we decided to run a "follow & retweet" Twitter contest that has three prizes of in-game appearances (and one prize of a hand-painted backdrop from the game). I contacted the mod team before posting this because normally I wouldn't just come over here and shill, but the game is set loosely in the 1920s which gives us the legitimate excuse to put your goony rear end in a fedora if you win. Signups are really, really low, so your odds of winning as of right now are actually pretty drat good.

There's a full write-up and details in this update on our Kickstarter page, and note that backing the Kickstarter is NOT required. I just figured at least somebody around here would want to sign up for a chance to be immortalized as a neck-bearded Sinatra wannabe in a video game (or maybe a neck-bearded marilyn monroe if you're a girl goon, talk to me, we can work something out).

Edit: Contest (& Kickstarter) are over; sorry. :(

Correnth fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^ Noir... Norse? Uh... what?! Just.... what. :v:

Subjunctive posted:

The VR part at least shouldn't take a ton of extra effort if they can hit the frame rate target. Maybe a bit on the control scheme.

Uh, not quite. Making it just work with a rift, yeah sure, but making it really support VR? There's a poo poo ton of testing and custom development that needs to be done to make a game properly VR. It is not bolt-on by any means whatsoever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 3, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

^ Noir... Norse? Uh... what?! Just.... what. :v:

Uh, not quite. Making it just work with a rift, yeah sure, but making it really support VR? There's a poo poo ton of testing and custom development that needs to be done to make a game properly VR. It is not bolt-on by any means whatsoever.

There are very few games that aren't made better by the addition of Norse stuff to it. Besides possibly Too Human and that one crappy Giant Robots game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Correnth posted:

Full disclosure up front: I am writing and designing the adventure game "Norse Noir: Loki's Exile", currently on Kickstarter. In what is an incredibly blatant attempt to drum up traffic to said KS and our social media sites we decided to run a "follow & retweet" Twitter contest that has three prizes of in-game appearances (and one prize of a hand-painted backdrop from the game). I contacted the mod team before posting this because normally I wouldn't just come over here and shill, but the game is set loosely in the 1920s which gives us the legitimate excuse to put your goony rear end in a fedora if you win. Signups are really, really low, so your odds of winning as of right now are actually pretty drat good.

There's a full write-up and details in this update on our Kickstarter page, and note that backing the Kickstarter is NOT required. I just figured at least somebody around here would want to sign up for a chance to be immortalized as a neck-bearded Sinatra wannabe in a video game (or maybe a neck-bearded marilyn monroe if you're a girl goon, talk to me, we can work something out).

You probably should have come over here and shilled sooner; you're a long-time member who can evidently make a pitch without sounding like a hollow PR goon, this thread is basically your birthright! Anyways, your title looks pretty good, chipped in a basic game tier, good luck!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You probably should have come over here and shilled sooner; you're a long-time member who can evidently make a pitch without sounding like a hollow PR goon, this thread is basically your birthright! Anyways, your title looks pretty good, chipped in a basic game tier, good luck!

Some little part of me feels more validated as a human being now, and I'm pretty sure I should be sad about that.

Edit: We ended up buying a banner ad because the response here was awesome, and even though I don't want to keep clogging the thread with replies about my own drat game I just wanted to say thanks from myself and the rest of the team - The support is really, genuinely appreciated. We're just trying to get enough to finish making the game and every little bit counts, blahblahblah. Seriously, thanks.

Correnth fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, you could have let us have dibs on the early tiers back when there were any, you monster.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sienna Storm have posted another update, but I don't think their pledge level has moved an inch since I last checked them. I'm going to consider this one a failed attempt. Better luck next time boys.

quote:

Decisions&Consequences continued!

As was mentioned in our previous update, to bring the comic panels alive as game levels, we give the player a steady series of choices. These choices generally operate on one of three levels: tactics, reputation and plot.

Now it's time to talk about "reputation" and "plot" ones!

Reputation choices are those that affect a player's standing with an NPC. These choices can be tactical decisions, mission outcomes, conversation options, or the outcomes of card-based action scenes. The goal is to provide at least 3-5 such opportunities per NPC so that the concept of reputation becomes somewhat analog. NPC attitudes always lie on a single axis, but that axis can vary from one NPC to another: trust versus distrust, contempt vs. fear, affection vs. indifference; etc.

[...]

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

double nine posted:

Sienna Storm have posted another update, but I don't think their pledge level has moved an inch since I last checked them. I'm going to consider this one a failed attempt. Better luck next time boys.

Besides the "intro tier only came way too late" problem - I just noticed that they don't list any programmers or artists. Writers, designers, yes, even the sound guy, but someone has to do the grunt work. Maybe they have someone lined up, but if one of the tiers is an art book, it's kind of important to mention who the artist is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly I really like the setting and artwork Sienna Storm has going for it, but the card game aspect turned me off pretty quick.

I think deep down I just want an Alpha Protocol 2.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Correnth posted:

This looks like it has quite a bit of promise, I think my biggest gripe with it is honestly the voice acting. It's just not up to par with the rest of the art which is a shame because it is rather pretty and seems to be emulating the old hand drawn period of adventure games well. If I had to listen to those voices as they are for an entire game I might eventually just turn them off.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

This looks like it has quite a bit of promise, I think my biggest gripe with it is honestly the voice acting. It's just not up to par with the rest of the art which is a shame because it is rather pretty and seems to be emulating the old hand drawn period of adventure games well. If I had to listen to those voices as they are for an entire game I might eventually just turn them off.

Oh god no, no no no - With the exception of the mobster at the top of the trailer (who we hired off Fiverr), all the voices were done by us on the team and we are very well aware that they are completely and utterly horrible. It was just surprisingly difficult to actually find semi-cheap professional recordings in the somewhat abbreviated time we had to toss together the trailer (like, a week and a half).

The current plan is to try and scrape up enough cash to offer at least a partial professional voice acting reel for the game and, if we have the money, do the whole thing up; we're launching the game in both English and Norwegian, though, which pretty much doubles our costs for voice acting, so it'll really just depend on how much we get from Kickstarter and how far we can make our budget stretch otherwise. Now that you bring it up it might be worth making a bolded mention about that closer toward the top of the project, so thanks for the thought. =)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Correnth posted:

Oh god no, no no no - With the exception of the mobster at the top of the trailer (who we hired off Fiverr), all the voices were done by us on the team and we are very well aware that they are completely and utterly horrible. It was just surprisingly difficult to actually find semi-cheap professional recordings in the somewhat abbreviated time we had to toss together the trailer (like, a week and a half).

The current plan is to try and scrape up enough cash to offer at least a partial professional voice acting reel for the game and, if we have the money, do the whole thing up; we're launching the game in both English and Norwegian, though, which pretty much doubles our costs for voice acting, so it'll really just depend on how much we get from Kickstarter and how far we can make our budget stretch otherwise. Now that you bring it up it might be worth making a bolded mention about that closer toward the top of the project, so thanks for the thought. =)

Yeah I think make it clear the voices are temporary and that'll go a long way to making that a non-issue. I wish I could say SA here has a thriving VA group buuuuuuuut we're pretty dead sadly. Couple of super talented folk though, blinkeve1826 in particular and she runs NY voice lessons so it might be good to hit the thread up at some point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

What do you have in mind?

(Edit: I'm genuinely interested here; I have a plan to spend some time making it as easy as possible for people to build good VR experiences, so I'm very interested in knowing what you think the hardest parts are right now.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 3, 2014

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah I think make it clear the voices are temporary and that'll go a long way to making that a non-issue. I wish I could say SA here has a thriving VA group buuuuuuuut we're pretty dead sadly. Couple of super talented folk though, blinkeve1826 in particular and she runs NY voice lessons so it might be good to hit the thread up at some point.

That is a... fantastic idea, and one I really wish I'd thought of a month ago. I'll definitely keep the thread bookmarked for future use.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's hard to tell if it will be any good, but the premise of Sharks for Arms seems pretty fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The premise does yeah but man is that gameplay dire.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peas and Rice posted:

It's hard to tell if it will be any good, but the premise of Sharks for Arms seems pretty fun.
Sadly, nothing about the playable game looks compelling at all. What's the guy from InXile doing there?

Also: :laugh:
With Puzzles!
*rotating connect the dot( s )*

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Pathologic Remake Kickstarter is live.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am so glad that they're talking a lot about the game instead of doing that weird "lets try to go viral" thing they usually do with their marketing.

I mean I love their usual weird antics, and there's still some of that there, but I'm saying that as someone who's already going to give them money no matter what they do. I think what they have here will do a lot better with people who aren't as familiar with them.

EDIT: Now that I've read the whole thing, I'd like to say that that was probably one of the best Kickstarter game pitch pages I've ever seen. Every single part of it was simultaneously interesting and informative.

Also, $20 gets you not JUST the game, but the digital artbook and soundtrack. Which are things that would usually cost $40+ to get. This is great, this whole thing looks great, I love Ice-Pick Lodge and I'm in for $45, might bump it up to $55 later

Also they're bringing the game to consoles

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 4, 2014

stille
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god this is going to be so awesome. The original was one of the direst cases of awesome idea/crap execution ever, but they've learned a thing or two since 2005.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I backed Pathologic so hard. Oh, that game looks great.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That's a really well made pitch video.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

macnbc posted:

Honestly I really like the setting and artwork Sienna Storm has going for it, but the card game aspect turned me off pretty quick.

I think deep down I just want an Alpha Protocol 2.

We all do. But the only way that can truly happen is if somehow Obsidian either become filthy rich beyond compare or SEGA get really desperate to sell off old properties for very little. Or both.

And a kickstarter for upwards of 20 million to buy the rights and get a proper sequel is probably a bit beyond our reach, no matter what's happened with Star Citizen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Threw in a $100 pledge for Pathologic. Knock Knock was a cool game, and if their backer updates are as good as the ones for that game the minimum pledge will be worth it for those alone.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pathologic made $10,000 in the first hour. Obviously this is just fans of the original emptying their pockets, but it would be pretty sweet if they retained this pace for at least a little time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You have to pay $300 to get the Pathologic tabletop game. :(

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Hopefully it'll hold it for a while, America's barely waking up yet.

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

You have to pay $300 to get the Pathologic tabletop game. :(

They're also doing add-ons, so you can get the tabletop game for $65 (plus $15 for shipping if you're adding physical goods to a digital order) on top of any tier if you want, not just through the $300 tier and upwards.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tollemache posted:

They're also doing add-ons, so you can get the tabletop game for $65 (plus $15 for shipping if you're adding physical goods to a digital order) on top of any tier if you want, not just through the $300 tier and upwards.

Yep. That's what I did, added it to the early bird tier. I've emailed them to clarify that that $15 charge is for shipping to anywhere too.

E: It does.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 4, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just put in $100. I really hope it makes it - it's doing pretty well for its first few hours but it's hard to tell how these things will go and $250k is a lot of money.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Backed so hard. I always wanted to play the original but the translation was a no-go for me. Delivery date is nearly 2017 so that's plenty of time.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Over 10% in 2 hours and a half. Think it'll make it ;)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

stille posted:

Over 10% in 2 hours and a half. Think it'll make it ;)

I'd like to share your enthusiasm but no, it's a little early to tell. It's an okay start, though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This issue is that 10% is from us weirdos who are willing to put in $100. I'm hopeful though.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Hopefully this one has a run button or at least a walking pace that couldn't be described as leisurely.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

0 rows returned posted:

Hopefully this one has a run button or at least a walking pace that couldn't be described as leisurely.

Ask them in the comments. They reply to everything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They've already raised more than the entire Knock-Knock Kickstarter did. :psyduck: I wanted this one to succeed but I'm surprised at how quickly it's doing well - I figured it'd be more of a niche thing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Sunless Sea just put out a nice update talking about their on-map combat and showcasing a bunch of new locations that will be discoverable in the next update:

http://www.failbettergames.com/steel-stone-and-spiders-whats-coming-next/

This is honestly one of the more surprising of the games I've backed--I backed it on a whim but have gradually become more and more excited for it, especially after I played a few hours of the early beta.

Now, if we could only get a modern recreation of Koei's "New Horizons"...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
For those that missed Alexander Brandon's Kickstarter, he's put out a bundle with his music works for just $1-$10, don't miss out! http://loudr.fm/bundle/alexander-brandon-bundle/hq4hZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They've already raised more than the entire Knock-Knock Kickstarter did. :psyduck: I wanted this one to succeed but I'm surprised at how quickly it's doing well - I figured it'd be more of a niche thing.

Just chipped in 20$ and may up my pledge later, I never got the opportunity to play the original but have loved the rest of their games.