Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Elephunk posted:

Also looking for the most reliable confirm Chie goes for off of 5A or 2A or whatever move she starts combos with (do you really poke with 5B?)

I usually go with 5C but I'm really not that great with combos yet. I think you can do 5A, 5B, 5C as a starter reliably, but I usually end up skipping 5B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Elephunk posted:

Still finding the lists of 200 combos on Dustloop overwhelming...

Anyone (Troffen) want to throw out a Yu BNB? All I know right now is basic combo into sweep oki or furious action BB BB super

Oh I dunno poo poo about Yu. From the sound of it we play the same Yu game, I just do whatever into sweep into some sloppy oki :v:

The oki combo I was doing (or trying to do) when we played was:
5D > IAD air turn > crossup j.b > 5D followup > 2b 5b 5c 2b 5b sweep > more oki.

Obviously you need to know more than one follow up for it to be a mix up so here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPavpNLMTM

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

PunkBoy posted:

I usually go with 5C but I'm really not that great with combos yet. I think you can do 5A, 5B, 5C as a starter reliably, but I usually end up skipping 5B.

Yeah, it depends on what you're going for. She has some good normal damage combos that end without oki (that I don't know much about), but if you're going for oki game there's a pretty simple confirm you can do off of 5A or 2A

5AA 5B 5C 2B 2C 2AB 5DD or
2A 5B 5C 2B 2C 2AB 5DD

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I usually like grapplers but I'm really liking Elizabeth in this for some reason. If only she didn't die if you sneeze on her, I like the fact that her persona lets you continue combos while you stand still (feels like Nu)

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Anyone got tips for Kanji vs Yukiko, specifically dealing with her 5C anti-air? I can't seem to get around that move no matter what I do, and if I just block it I never get the chance to hit the persona because he'll chain into agi.

I'm gonna make a Kanji infodump cause I'm on vacation chilling. Heres vs. Yukiko.

5c AA/Fan AA: You really don't want to be jumping right into her too much, she has good AA options. It's always an option to jump in at such a range that she will whiff 5c, letting j.b break it, if the player you're fighting often uses 5c. If they can use fan well also they will probably plink you with fans sometimes but it's worth going for. This is a goto for me against a lot of characters who have good midrange persona pokes- hop around outside the range and just break personas for free with j.b.
Edit: I wonder if you could catch her in a FC with the proper timing/spacing on j.C?

game start: Lots of Yukiko like to open with 5c. If you see them doing this, roll and grab right at the start, you should win the round for free since you're already on top. This also works on Aegis in any situation when she wants to use bullet arc move thing. Roll through and C command grab.
Other good opening moves vs yukiko include blocking and maybe B chair slam if you think they are gonna back off.
Oh if you are in their head then try for either crouch lightning or stand lightning because if they start blocking it you get in. Many people don't realize if you make someone block one lightning you can space the other two bolts so that you can run up and threaten something. The timing is tricky though. I usually run up and do something safe-ish like try to make them block/eat 5c.
Risky openers include 5c and tiger kneed b. airgrab.

neutral/fullscreen: Not so good for kanji but you shouldn't be shut out. You also don't HAVE to rush her down because thanks to the fuckin sick rear end lighting kanji can still duel her (badly) at range. Remember that jump lightning hits just before fullscreen. You aren't at advantage here but you can frustrate your opponent if you simply avoid getting hit by fans and punish her every time she throws a fan or charges or does ground fire. All of those have enough recovery to get pegged by lightning.
Yukiko has nothing fast like lightning at fullscreen range so there is no reason for you to get hit, but if you are playing a smart yukiko she will probably try to just persona break you then move to mid range. Most people will get frustrated and eat a lot of lighting though because they feel like they should be dominating at this range.
If she tries to use heal or whatever just laugh and enjoy your free chance to close or if you are at like 75% screen just tk. ex. airgrab and say thank you for giving me the game.
One of the best ways to get in from about 75% screen is to run forward and stop and EX ground to air grab. In certain situations about 90% of people will jump on reaction to you running forward.

midscreen: Probably the worst place to be at if you are at neutral. Moves to use: 5c sparingly from about max range. j.B from outside her range to go for breaks. Sweep, sparingly because I think she blows you up if she blocks it. B chair slam.
The goal at this range is to make her block 5c or B chair. If she blocks 5c cancel to B chair or 2c, I prefer B chair because after she blocks chair you have a ghetto mixup.
1. Autocombo as far as chair slam for free meter on block and reset ghetto mixup situation, on hit go into combo.
2. C grab.
3. 2b, combo.
4. DP (only if 50% meter)

Kanjis DP straight up beats yukikos dp, if you both dp kanji is invincible through hers and recovers faster so he can do 5a, 5a, whatever. If she blocks it you can cancel into super and not get punished as badly.

in: you should win the game easy. Yukiko has few good escapes from kanji. Her DP can be beat out or safely baited while maintaining pressure pretty easily, especially if she is in the corner.
Edit: Vid example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IndxX6Mt-E&t=7s

Command grab beats rolling out. 2b beats jumpers as does ex airgrab. 5c, hold is a good bait against yukiko and many other characters. j.B, jump, ex. airgrab is a not-so-good but not terrible mixup, as long as you change it up and do j.b, jump, j.b a lot.
Try to kill yukiko in one combo before she awakens because her awakening super has invincible startup and will reset the game for her.

disadvantage midscreen: just block, her mixup is weak. Look for a chance to roll out of pressure.

disadvantage corner: uh-oh her mixup is really strong now if she can do any of the super-hard-to-blockables. Don't be afraid to do stupid poo poo to get out because you really don't want to be in the corner, it's impossible to block her poo poo for long periods of time and she's just going to build meter too. You can't DP out because you'll just break her persona and get punished. Only options are jumping, rolling, super or sweep. Maybe A/B slam? But I think they have too much startup.

Spiking fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 22, 2012

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Fantastic post.

edit: This is when the match starts though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IndxX6Mt-E&t=322s

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Oops thanks I did my vid tags wrong. Check 6:40 for mad dp action and example of kanjis dp beating yukikos. 7:25 has the bait I'm talking about where 2b goes thru dp and kanji punishes with 5c. Special note actually I think this kanji is a little scrubby I saw him doing random ex grab into dp round one. TUmmmm.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Elephunk posted:

Anyone (Troffen) want to throw out a Yu BNB?

Cool Combos for Cool Dudes tm:

stuff -> D slide -> one more cancel -> B raging lion is a pretty good way to get people into the corner so you can oki them even harder, if you're close to them when the combo ends you can dash and stab them a little more.

Cool oki combos (warning number notation look at that numpad!)

sweep -> 5D -> A raging lion -> push D again -> 5B -> 5C -> 2C (raging lion forces crouching, which lets you combo into 2C!) B raging lion either another sweep or EX zio or ziodyne

sweep -> 5D -> evasive action through them -> 2B -> 5B -> 5D -> 2B -> 5B -> 5C -> 5B -> then either 5C into D slide into ziodyne or sweep them again (this is a cool combo because it crosses up meaning they need to change how they block and has this cool part where you sandwich them between yu and his persona during the combo and beat them up)

Basic air series after all out attacks or 2B anti air is jump B jump B double jump jump B jump C sword dive ziodyne

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 23, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
God, I wish there was a "Beat On the Brat With A Baseball Bat" title. Because I would take it and use only Teddie forever and ever.

That bat is to Teddie what the pipe is to MvC3 Haggar.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Sweep 5D any hit into 5B 5DD 214B dash forward:
(oki) Sweep 5D
(damage and carry) 2B(1 hit) jc j.C j.214B 2B(1 hit) j.C 214A 5AAA

Either of these can be done off any other random 214Bs you land as well.
Converting off of a 5D is weird because if you press j.c too early Izanagi will appear on the ground because he hasn't disappeared from the 5D yet.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
jiyuna had a session earlier today where he played against what seemed to be an extremely good Liz. he took a bunch of highlights and put them up individually. http://www.twitch.tv/jiyuna/b/329566906 is the first one.

they're pretty interesting matches for anyone thinking about playing Liz, anyone who gets psyched for less represented characters, or anyone who likes exciting matches with glass cannon characters

or anyone who likes to see jiyuna lose repeatedly I guess that would work too

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

poo poo I wrote a long post about characters I don't want to play :v:

Can't really figure out who I like to play as, I think maybe it's between Chie, Elizabeth and Mitsuru but from what I hear this is also 90% of what people are playing online :I

Edit: I forgot Yu, basically 100%

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
Quick reminder, the next goonsgarden is tomorrow, starting around 10:30 pm. Use both your PSN and SA name when you sign up. As always I'll be streaming it and trying to get as many matches in as I can. I want to see a god drat teddy in here.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sthfoman2n

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
For any Akihiko players out there, I found this amazing combo video. He's doing things I've never seen anybody do before, not even Japanese players. I learned a lot and if you're an Akihiko player or just want to see some cool stuff and learn a lot, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqNu7PxV90

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Ahaha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

poo poo I wrote a long post about characters I don't want to play :v:

Can't really figure out who I like to play as, I think maybe it's between Chie, Elizabeth and Mitsuru but from what I hear this is also 90% of what people are playing online :I

Edit: I forgot Yu, basically 100%

This is pretty much true. After playing 100+ matches online with Labrys I have only ever run into one other Labrys player.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Bebopaloobop posted:

For any Akihiko players out there, I found this amazing combo video. He's doing things I've never seen anybody do before, not even Japanese players. I learned a lot and if you're an Akihiko player or just want to see some cool stuff and learn a lot, check it out!

that super secret cr.b infinite is finally exposed to the general player-base. An EXCELLENT video, recommend all 13 minutes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm looking for people to play against, so feel free to add UltimateZAR to PSN if you want to play a few matches. I'm not that good and I haven't put a lot of time into this game because of school, but I'll try anyways.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bebopaloobop posted:

Yellow numbers mean the combo is techable.

Music is baller though.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
^^^that's the joke^^^

Anybody up for a practice lobby this evening? I'm actually gonna try and make the tournament tomorrow but I haven't touched P4A in a few days. Please help me expose my fraudulent Kanji play and help me get better!

I'll be on around 7pm Central, if there isn't a lobby going on already I'll start one up and send invites to anyone I see online. You can't hide!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Static Rook posted:

^^^that's the joke^^^

Honestly should've expected as much. I guess 3 hours of sleep coupled with a lack of caffeine makes you unable to detect this sort of poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Static Rook posted:

^^^that's the joke^^^

Anybody up for a practice lobby this evening? I'm actually gonna try and make the tournament tomorrow but I haven't touched P4A in a few days. Please help me expose my fraudulent Kanji play and help me get better!

I'll be on around 7pm Central, if there isn't a lobby going on already I'll start one up and send invites to anyone I see online. You can't hide!

I will probably be on then as well. I would like to do better than last week and win at least two matches instead of just one.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I'll be up for a lobby tonight, gotta go fast with Brosuke.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I'd definitely be up for some practice. If you're in IRC we can set something up later in there.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I'll be doped up on painkillers, but I'll be able to bring my Mitsuru tonight. Not sure what everyone is talking about regarding online. I've seen every character so far, but Yosuke is far and away the most common character I've seen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If I'm awake, I'll certainly join in. Need to get Kanji ready for the next tourney. Climb the grappler ladder to fraudulence!

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Great Lakes Log posted:

This is pretty much true. After playing 100+ matches online with Labrys I have only ever run into one other Labrys player.

I've only played 5 matches online and 3 of them were against different Labryses.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly should've expected as much. I guess 3 hours of sleep coupled with a lack of caffeine makes you unable to detect this sort of poo poo.

It happens to all of us. :morning: :respek: :morning:

And I'll jump on IRC as well so we can grab a few people from there. I know the PSN Marvel tourney is going on tonight, but IIRC there's a seperate room for it so #goonsgarden should be okay. I never got good at Marvel but I'm getting in on the ground(ish) floor of P4A so hopefully I won't get outclassed by everyone yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

I've only played 5 matches online and 3 of them were against different Labryses.

Maybe there is a super low priority given to mirror matches? That would explain it maybe.

Also this may seem like an incredibly stupid question but uh, how do you actually continue in Arcade mode? I've tried every button I can think of but I always end up back at the character selection screen...

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
I'd be in an hour after it starts more than likely, but I'd definitely be up for joining the room. I still need more hands-on experience using my characters and dealing with characters like Kanji and Yosuke in general, since I usually do really stupid things against those two.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Great Lakes Log posted:

Maybe there is a super low priority given to mirror matches? That would explain it maybe.

Also this may seem like an incredibly stupid question but uh, how do you actually continue in Arcade mode? I've tried every button I can think of but I always end up back at the character selection screen...

If you mean, "I lost, how do I continue?" Press Start, then select your character. You'll start right where you left off.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
What the hell am I supposed to do as Yosuke VS Mitsuru other then pray?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Zexerous posted:

Quick reminder, the next goonsgarden is tomorrow, starting around 10:30 pm. Use both your PSN and SA name when you sign up. As always I'll be streaming it and trying to get as many matches in as I can. I want to see a god drat teddy in here.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sthfoman2n

Can't make it this week and I haven't even practiced since the last one. :(

Next week. If I can decide on a new character to play as.

Does anyone have any general strategy videos for Yu? It seems like the plan is to stay as close to your opponent as you can and then combo the poo poo out of them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chickenfrogman posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do as Yosuke VS Mitsuru other then pray?

If she ever whiffs anything you can run in and attack for free generally, you need fast reaction.

Approach from the air more often than not, you can trick her into whiffing stuff way more easily from the air than on the ground.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Does anyone have any general strategy videos for Yu? It seems like the plan is to stay as close to your opponent as you can and then combo the poo poo out of them.

I don't play Yu myself, but his broad gameplan is to land a hit, do a decent combo, and end it with some kind of knockdown (generally sweep, I would imagine) into his Standing D so he can pressure the opponent on their wakeup (or just catch a napping opponent not teching). You especially want to drive the opponent to the corner where it's tougher for them to escape the pressure, and be mindful of when the opponent might want to burst, guard cancel, or use some sort of invincible reversal to try and escape your pressure.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
4 of us putzing around in a room on PSN right now. Room name:MangaCarta

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Static Rook posted:

4 of us putzing around in a room on PSN right now. Room name:MangaCarta

Room looks to be locked, need an invite. PSN CronoX23

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah sorry about that, if you want an invite message me on PSN, the name is MangaCarta.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Quick tip, Great Lake. If you want a more reliable midscreen combo then Labrys's auto combo, try A B Sweep Guillotine Axe A. More damage, has a low, covers more ground, safer.

You can also duck under Kanji's diving grab and he'll whiff entirely in front of you for a free counter hit combo.

Chickenfrogman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good games everybody, I enjoyed having my rear end handed to me :shobon:

Chickenfrogman posted:

Quick tip, Great Lake. If you want a more reliable midscreen combo then Labrys's auto combo, try A B Sweep Guillotine Axe A. More damage, has a low, covers more ground, safer.

You can also duck under Kanji's diving grab and he'll whiff entirely in front of you for a free counter hit combo.

Thank you for the tips. I'll try incorporating some of them tomorrow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around fighting games in general, but hopefully I actually improve at some point!

The worst part about the online system is that the better I get, the harder opponents I face, so I never feel like I'm getting better :(

• Locked thread