Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neowyrm posted:

Fellas.

The day we've been waiting for is here.

Sam Rockwell would like to be on Agents of SHIELD.

Where and what does he say? I am so down. I hope gets cast as someone. Taskmaster or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

Neowyrm posted:

Fellas.

*as Justin Hammer.
Hammer was pretty much the absolute best thing about Iron Man 2, so I can see that being fantastic

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Also, Blade Trinity, aside from Reynolds, is essentially unwatchable. The first film was the best, and the first scene of the first film (Vampire Blood Rave) is, IMHO, one of the coolest overall scenes in any comic book movie before or since.
I'd say it's tied with Blade II. But yeah, that scene in particular was loving AMAZING for an opening. The soundtrack throughout the film was great too. Seriously, the original Blade was ahead of the times and it's also credited for putting interest back into production of comics book movies more so than X-men (2000) was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neowyrm posted:

Fellas.

*as Justin Hammer.

He just wants to dance some more.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Neowyrm posted:

Fellas.

*as Justin Hammer.

Probably bring him in to kill him off because Iron Man villains aren't allowed to survive.

But what they SHOULD do is have him come on as Guy Fleegman, introduce Galaxy Quest to the Marvel world, and have them run SWORD.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Jamesman posted:

But what they SHOULD do is have him come on as Guy Fleegman, introduce Galaxy Quest to the Marvel world, and have them run SWORD.

If there is a just and loving God, this would happen

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody watch Hannibal on NBC? I thinks Mads Mikkleson could do an amazing Dr. Doom.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

Probably bring him in to kill him off because Iron Man villains aren't allowed to survive.

I'd prefer if he appeared as the drug dealer from The Sitter and Thor was somehow his sixth best friend.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

That little bit right at the end where someone is just desperately trying to get him to stop creating more ad-libbed takes and move on is great.

Lv99 Slacker
Oct 25, 2006
Whelp. Only one more adaptation I'm really looking forward to this year:

'Blue is the Warmest Colour' is the first comic book adaptation to win top prize at Cannes -- TheVerge

quote:

Blue is the Warmest Colour, a French drama about a lesbian love affair, took home the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival Sunday, marking the first time that a movie based on a comic book has won the prestigious Palme d'Or. Written and directed by Abdellatif Kechiche, the film stars Adèle Exarchopoulos as a 15-year-old girl who falls in love with a woman named Emma, played by Léa Seydoux. The film has received largely glowing reviews from critics, as well as a fair bit of controversy, due to its reportedly explicit sex scenes.

The nearly three-hour movie is based on Julie Maroh's Le Bleu est une couleur chaude ("Blue is a hot color"), a 2010 graphic novel slated for US release later this year. Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis won the Jury Prize in 2007, though no comic adaptation had ever taken home the festival's top prize until this year. In a message posted to her website, Maroh thanked her fans for all the messages of support, joy, and love she received following Sunday's awards ceremony. The author-illustrator added that she's seen the film twice already, and promised to publish a formal reaction to it within the week.

"Words cannot describe the amplitude of what I've experienced for the past few hours, few days," Maroh wrote in her post, which she signed with a simple message: "Make comic books. It's cool."

Hope I can catch this at NY Film Festival this fall.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
http://instagram.com/p/bdD2lCDHHx/

Jesus Christ. Bert Macklin, FBI. :stare:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have zero faith that Guardians of the Galaxy will be a good film, but I really want to see it anyway. It looks so interesting, its a really weird idea for a film and the only other really fantastical sci-fi film I can even think of is Flash Gordon. I hope that the film with a talking tree and a raccoon with with a gun in its main cast doesn't take itself too seriously, is what I'm saying.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guardians of the Galaxy villains revealed:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27688/-guardians-of-the-galaxy-villains-revealed

Dark Horizons posted:

As we have previously heard, actors Benicio del Toro, Karen Gillan and Lee Pace are playing villains in Marvel's upcoming "Guardians Of The Galaxy" film.

Now, Den of Geek says their source has confirmed which characters each will play in the production which is currently shooting in the UK.

Benicio del Toro is, indeed, The Collector. Also confirming an earlier rumour, Lee Pace is definitely going to be playing Ronan The Accuser. Karen Gillan, meanwhile, will be playing Nebula in the film.

The Collector is billions of years old and does exactly that - collect rare or valuable items from across the universe. He also has the power of prophecy and created a museum of countless life forms to keep them safe from Thanos.

Ronan The Accuser is an alien Kree with superhuman powers. He was a villain, but has become more heroic in the comics - so he'll probably have an arc in the film.

Nebula is a space pirate and the apparent granddaughter of Thanos.

I don't really know much about the first two, but I know Nebula (because I know Thanos) and I can't wait to see Marvel go full cosmic in this movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ronan is kind of cool and drat they seem to be expanding the scope of this thing wide to give a good glimpse of Marvel Cosmic like trying to see what they throw sticks as potential spin offs or something.

That being said, I'd love it if we see something like the Annihilators some day. Quasar, Ronan the Accuser, the Shi'ar Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, and Herald of Galactus Silver Surfer.

Probably can't do the last one but could substitute someone else. Basically I really wanna see Beta Ray Bill. "The gently caress is that ugly horse thing a hero on par with Thor?" Hell, they could probably have a CG him replace Hemsworth.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
GotG is a make-or-break film for Marvel, in terms of if an audience will be accepting of all the crazy space stuff that could potentially be thrown at them, so it makes me very concerned that they've put their faith in James Gunn to helm the film. I really wasn't that impressed with Slither or Super, especially not enough to think "This guy should be writing and directing a complex Marvel blockbuster."

I hope he either really surprises me, or Marvel ends up babysitting him through the whole production.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Gatts posted:

the Shi'ar Gladiator

While I'd love to see it, wouldn't the Shi'ar and Gladiator likely fall under the rights to X-Men?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jamesman posted:

GotG is a make-or-break film for Marvel, in terms of if an audience will be accepting of all the crazy space stuff that could potentially be thrown at them, so it makes me very concerned that they've put their faith in James Gunn to helm the film. I really wasn't that impressed with Slither or Super, especially not enough to think "This guy should be writing and directing a complex Marvel blockbuster."

I hope he either really surprises me, or Marvel ends up babysitting him through the whole production.

The only way it'll work is if they absolutely nail the tone and mood to make us forgive these absurd elements. At this point, it can't just embrace stylistic camp a la Flash Gordon, it'll need to approach it with the sarcastic humor of Men in Black or possibly Hitchhiker's Guide. Chris Pratt can handle bloated, comic hubris like few others (I literally picture his role as akin to Bert Macklin, FBI), but it'll probably need some cynical audience-surrogate to comment on how ridiculous every facet of this story actually is.

Basically, it'll succeed or fail on the strength of its character's comedic presence. It could easily be a John Carter-style clusterfuck of CG and bad ideas. But even Ghostbusters sounds like a terrible idea until you see how well the characters sell the premise.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Xealot posted:

...it'll probably need some cynical audience-surrogate to comment on how ridiculous every facet of this story actually is.

It looks like John C. Reilly will fill this role.

Also: John Carter was a good movie.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Tripwyre posted:

Also: John Carter was a good movie.

I really enjoyed the books as a kid, but the movie... could have been better. They cribbed a bit too much from The Outlaw Josie Wales and not enough from Errol Flynns old swashbuckler flicks. They made a lot of changes for the good (giving Dejah Thoris actual character/role in the story beyond "imperiled princes, somewhat noble", the visual design in general & the humor was well distributed), but I think they made a pretty big misstep with Johns arc by giving him a tragic back story and having him be a reluctant protagonist instead of the willing one he was in the books.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Xealot posted:

The only way it'll work is if they absolutely nail the tone and mood to make us forgive these absurd elements. At this point, it can't just embrace stylistic camp a la Flash Gordon, it'll need to approach it with the sarcastic humor of Men in Black or possibly Hitchhiker's Guide. Chris Pratt can handle bloated, comic hubris like few others (I literally picture his role as akin to Bert Macklin, FBI), but it'll probably need some cynical audience-surrogate to comment on how ridiculous every facet of this story actually is.

Basically, it'll succeed or fail on the strength of its character's comedic presence. It could easily be a John Carter-style clusterfuck of CG and bad ideas. But even Ghostbusters sounds like a terrible idea until you see how well the characters sell the premise.

This, to me, is exactly why Chris Pratt is pitch-loving-perfect casting.

If they don't have Star Lord be an almost-4th-wall-breaking protag then I don't even know

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
I really hope GotG is a success, regardless of its quality, just so that we get more experimental, weird, fringe stuff from Marvel Studios. Unfortunately I get a fear that it will bomb and Marvel won't take any more risks. It doesn't seem very superhero-ey, even with the Avengers connections, and superheroes loving sell right now. But it definitely excites me the most of the current comic book projects, mainly because it's so out there and leftfield.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Well, Man of Steel was pretty drat sci-fi, so maybe that will help pave the way for GotG even a little bit.

v Wow, I was not going to see that poo poo anyways, but drat.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 9, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I can't get over how bad this action sequence from the Wolverine is. Why would you not cut this, much less release it as marketing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKT5YceMCQ

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No train roof has ever been that shiny, reflective, and blemish-free.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that seriously the actual score from the film? That poo poo is terrible!

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Bob Quixote posted:

I think they made a pretty big misstep with Johns arc by giving him a tragic back story and having him be a reluctant protagonist instead of the willing one he was in the books.

Except the most powerful moment of the film stemmed from that tragic backstory.

Also, Carter in the books is so hilariously manly that a faithful movie adaptation would have almost come off as parody. Not to mention that the books are really weak on a solid overall plot outside of 'gotta rescue Dejah again'. I thought the movie, while flawed, doesn't deserve the scorn it gets. It's too bad we'll never get to see the sequels.

Darko posted:

I can't get over how bad this action sequence from the Wolverine is. Why would you not cut this, much less release it as marketing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKT5YceMCQ

That last shot of him flying at the camera is just so bad. How could anyone on the production staff look at that and not be ashamed?

I really hope the movie is good, but that moment gives me a bad feeling about what other terribleness might be lurking in that film.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 9, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

The real question is how did that second guy avoid all the stuff Wolverine and baddie #1 did? And do knives really pierce a train's roof like that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

The real question is how did that second guy avoid all the stuff Wolverine and baddie #1 did?
I'm glad someone else was wondering this.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rhyno posted:

Is that seriously the actual score from the film? That poo poo is terrible!

Out of everything in that scene, that's all you found terrible?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

DFu4ever posted:

Except the most powerful moment of the film stemmed from that tragic backstory.

The most powerful moment of the film was literally just the first 5 minutes of The Outlaw Josey Wales inter-cut with an excellent fight scene.

DFu4ever posted:

Also, Carter in the books is so hilariously manly that a faithful movie adaptation would have almost come off as parody. Not to mention that the books are really weak on a solid overall plot outside of 'gotta rescue Dejah again'. I thought the movie, while flawed, doesn't deserve the scorn it gets. It's too bad we'll never get to see the sequels.

Book John is incredibly ludicrous since he is an apparently immortal warrior who was already pretty much unbeatable on earth and then goes to a planet that gives him super-powers, but the character has a more adventurous outlook that was missing from the movie. I liked the plot changes they made to give the story a conflict beyond "rescue Dejah" (introducing the Therns as villains would have made an excellent lead in to the planned sequels that would have been adapted from The Gods of Mars), I was just hoping that maybe we could have kept some of the spirit of high adventure from the books instead of John being sort of brooding and spending half the film trying to go home and ignore all the conflicts around him. I guess its a more realistic take on how a person would react in that situation, but realism sort of goes out the window when you set a movie on mars and fill it full of sword fighting aliens.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Book John Carter is basically Finn from Adventure Time.

I can't stop laughing at that Wolverine clip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Out of everything in that scene, that's all you found terrible?

I was trying to find something new to fixate on! We've seen most of that footage already!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That Wolverine clip made me laugh. That's something I guess! The roof part reminded me of old FMV games.
"Press UP to jump!".

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

thrawn527 posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy villains revealed:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27688/-guardians-of-the-galaxy-villains-revealed

I don't really know much about the first two, but I know Nebula (because I know Thanos) and I can't wait to see Marvel go full cosmic in this movie.

Oh no.

...from the writer of Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo II :smith:

But then he wrote Dawn of the Dead. :unsmith:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, but he made Scrappy Doo into the first film's villain. The guy know his stuff.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

spikenigma posted:

Oh no.

...from the writer of Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo II :smith:

But then he wrote Dawn of the Dead. :unsmith:

Dawn remake was terrible. And even if you did like it, go watch Super and continue worrying.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jamesman posted:

Dawn remake was terrible. And even if you did like it, go watch Super and continue worrying.

What.

Explain yourself, right now.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That fight scene looked incredibly bloodless for a man with knives sticking out of his hands. Is this gonna be a PG-13 wolverine where he doesn't actually cut anyone? Because that strikes me as the worst way to do Wolverine. I mean I know Dredd proved that violent superhero action flicks (regrettably) don't sell tickets and I understand why they wouldn't want to do it again, but still.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Red Bones posted:

I mean I know Dredd proved that violent superhero action flicks (regrettably) don't sell tickets

Blade launched the modern superhero film movement and it was R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, the only thing that Dredd proved was that lovely marketing and limited release will not make your movie a lot of money.

• Locked thread