Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

It's be perfect precisely because she's not a credible threat. That would annoy the player when she beats you in a cutscene anyway, and make it satisfying to kill her at the end.

This has the unfortunate problem where some players might actually like Ashley.

No chance of that with Kai Leng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Aristobulus posted:

I feel like ME3 would've been neat if it was like, renegade -> side with Cerberus or oppose both Cerberus and the Council, Paragon -> Side with Council, oppose Cerberus

You're talking about two or three different games at that point; most of the missions wouldn't make sense if you just put Council forces there instead of Cerberus. (And no, don't bring up "Witcher 2 did it!" because they really didn't, Act 2 was short once you take out all the filler running through the same dungeons, and Act 3 was almost the same.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

El Mido posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with Kai "Thane Killer" Leng.

'Thane Bane' works better imo

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SubponticatePoster posted:

Look, if you want to kill Ashley you don't have to wait until the end just don't talk to her in the hospital and let one of your squaddies shoot her in the faceoff with Udina

Or y'know, sweet nuclear fire.

In general, I'm neutral to Ashley, but looking back at ME3 letting her get incinerated back on Virmire was the right choice. Not only did her little plot go nowhere but more rehashing of her sister, but her role in combat was worse Garrus/James. Meanwhile, Kaidan grows a personality (a light one, but one nonetheless) and is your only Sentinel.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Geostomp posted:

In general, I'm neutral to Ashley, but looking back at ME3 letting her get incinerated back on Virmire was the right choice. Not only did her little plot go nowhere but more rehashing of her sister, but her role in combat was worse Garrus/James. Meanwhile, Kaidan grows a personality (a light one, but one nonetheless) and is your only Sentinel.

Unless you are a sentinel.

Also does anyone find that the citadel DLC weapons are nearly game-breakingly powerful? The silenced pistol takes down shielded marauders with 2 head shots, and the lancer is basically an infinite ammo assault rifle when upgraded. Those weapons, plus warp-splosions and overload makes Shep loving invincible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mage supremacy. And then you give a mage some guns and I mean really it's just the cherry on top.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

2house2fly posted:

It's be perfect precisely because she's not a credible threat. That would annoy the player when she beats you in a cutscene anyway, and make it satisfying to kill her at the end.

Kaiden is a credible threat because he's the most useful ME3 squadmate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Kaiden is a credible threat because he's the most useful ME3 squadmate.

EDI tears it up down the line.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Mage supremacy. And then you give a mage some guns and I mean really it's just the cherry on top.

I've never actually felt the need to play anything other than an adept from ME1 to ME3. Feels good to be the best.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Schrodingers cat posted:

I've never actually felt the need to play anything other than an adept from ME1 to ME3. Feels good to be the best.

Sentinel was pretty fun in ME3 far as I remember, as my extra power I bought warp armor or whatever the biotic shield thing is called. You can run both tech armor and that one simultaneously, you can almost ignore the fact that ME3 is a cover shooter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I'm gonna play a game with classes/specs more than once, I'm gonna play a different class/spec each time.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mostly tried different weapon and bonus power combinations but I never got bored with Adept builds - tough I wish shockwave had been replaced with an alternative Multiplayer power without modding.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Schrodingers cat posted:

But adept doesn't have biotic charge? :confused:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

But adept doesn't have biotic charge? :confused:

Someone doesn't know about detonate :smug:

Vanguard is the class that I've always thought about trying but then I went back to Adept. One of these days.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Schrodingers cat posted:

Someone doesn't know about detonate :smug:

Biotic charge lets you detonate. :colbert: Have Liara cast warp on a Banshee, then charge to detonate. Simple.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME1: Adept
ME2: Whatever. None are particularly fun.
ME3: Infiltrator.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

ME1: Adept
ME2: Whatever. None are particularly fun.
ME3: Infiltrator.

What was the infiltrator gameplay? Did they stealth or something? ugh, that seems like it would be horribly boring given the mechanics of the game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Infiltrators were the best at using sniper rifles. A time dilation effect was applied when they zoomed in with a sniper rifle. They could cloak to move around, and got huge damage boosts when they fired while cloaked. Also good with SMGs.

They got Disruptor Ammo to deal with shields, Incinerate for armor and enemies behind cover, Sabotage, Cryo Ammo.... A tool for every situation, basically. They're a lot of fun despite being basically the opposite of vanguards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

Infiltrators were the best at using sniper rifles.

Soldiers could apply their adrenaline rush effect to more than one shot, so I'd argue they're better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sassassin posted:

Soldiers could apply their adrenaline rush effect to more than one shot, so I'd argue they're better.

Infiltrator had something similar. They could stay hidden for two shots/powers.

The reason they are awesome is running around invisible.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Sniper rifles are loving poo poo in ME3 anyway. Cloaked shotgun blasts/flare/whatever all the way.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So could infiltrators (with the black widow or faster). There was also no cooldown, so you could just unzoom/zoom to reapply it. With a one-shot rifle you could just unzoom while reloading and apply it to every shot.

EDIT: if you're talking about cloak damage, it's not like anything should survive a cloaked shot. Banshees would, I guess.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Schrodingers cat posted:

you did it The Right Way

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

El Mido posted:

Sniper rifles are loving poo poo in ME3 anyway. Cloaked shotgun blasts/flare/whatever all the way.

In Multiplayer, definitely. Solo -- I only ever went infiltrator or engineer, so maybe I just don't know any better.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Infiltrator had something similar. They could stay hidden for two shots/powers.

The reason they are awesome is running around invisible.

Running around invincible is a decent substitute.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was sad they never made annihilation field available as a bonus power in single player. Giving that to a vanguard seems like it would be stupid fun.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Engineer was underrated. You had Incinerate and Overload to deal with most protections and set things on fire, and you could create turrets and drones for extra fun because who doesn't love rockets and flamethrowers?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

Biotic charge lets you detonate. :colbert: Have Liara cast warp on a Banshee, then charge to detonate. Simple.

That's true! I forgot about that. I still find pure mage to be nicer, though I can see the appeal of charge.

I think what annoyed me the most is how in cut-scenes, I'd never do biotic actions and would call upon other biotics to do them... class should have had more impact. Maybe I'm just forgetting things. Also, I thought about modding powers because it makes no sense that one of the most powerful human biotics on the planet can't do special things.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, people have always complained about CutsceneShep always being a soldier.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Schrodingers cat posted:

That's true! I forgot about that. I still find pure mage to be nicer, though I can see the appeal of charge.

I think what annoyed me the most is how in cut-scenes, I'd never do biotic actions and would call upon other biotics to do them... class should have had more impact. Maybe I'm just forgetting things. Also, I thought about modding powers because it makes no sense that one of the most powerful human biotics on the planet can't do special things.

At least give Vanguard a chance - it's very different from Adept since you basically go:
- have squadmate cast primer (warp/overload/cryo/fire/etc.)
- CHARGE
- if it's not dead, use nova/shotgun/melee
- repeat

It's even fun in ME1 since you get biotic powers (including Lift) and have decent gun skills (pistol and shotgun), leaving you free to pick Singularity as your bonus power.

I agree about the soldier thing (mostly that Shepard seems to always shoot things) but I think there may be more reactivity in ME3 than we give it credit for. For instance, during my last replay after rescuing Legion, I picked all the Renegade options which boil down to "they're just machines and not alive so who cares" - then picked a paragon option about maybe not needing to kill the Geth. Raan said "but you just said they were just machines!" and Shepard replied "Yeah but maybe they can be useful." I had never heard those lines before and I'm pretty sure you don't get them unless you've gone anti-Geth until that point.

Citadel does a decent job of mentioning Shepard's class (the cutscene confrontation in the cargo hold, Shepard's dialogue during the biotic vs. soldier conversation at the party, probably other stuff I've missed/forgotten.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Of course, Citadel already had to take note of your class, since it's an important part of the final battle.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You made me redownload the entire game... UGH!!!!

I'll give vanguard a shot, seemed like a fun thing and I just never got around to it. Charging + Shotgun/Nova is amusing in Multiplayer so I can see it being fun in SP as well.

I forgot about the Citadel segment but yeah, it's rather lackluster for a company that pretends to pride itself on immersive stories to not include such a fundamental aspect of the player character into the equation. Dragon Age 1 and 2 wouldn't let you go 20 minutes without Mage vs civilian oriented dialogue so the contrast with ME (in which there are numerous occasions to make biotic shepard say something - a dozen in Grissom Academy alone - or allowing Soldier Shepard to be a bigot) just feels like a huge omission.

I usually play Paragon with a touch of Renegade so I have yet to hear the majority of Renegade dialogue or hybrid combinations you can get (the Legion example is really interesting, I'll give it a go for this next playthrough).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The best part of the Soldier-Biotic argument in Citadel is that James is not really arguing that soldiers are better...he's arguing that HE is better. Than everyone. While everyone just stands around going :stare: welp.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He does have a point.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Only because enemy biotics just Warp a lot, never the cool stuff. Let's see him shoot something while ragdolled or after being charged and face-shotgunned.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You would think that soldiers that are trained to fight in space would be able to shoot in the general direction of someone while weightless, but alas me 1 your contradiction will never be explained.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

howe_sam posted:

I was sad they never made annihilation field available as a bonus power in single player. Giving that to a vanguard seems like it would be stupid fun.

It's actually really boring to play with that setup.

lovely recording of me playing on a laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaY5A3TR7rw

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 28, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In my current ME2 run, for some reason Conrad isn't on Illium. I looked in gibbed and the flag for he got killed is checked. But the flag for I intimidated him is checked, too. And that is what I did. When I uncheck the he got killed, he is still not showing up, though.

Thoughts?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fairly sure that any modifications to the ME1 imported world state in Gibbed don't actually take effect until you start a new ME2 game. Sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well that sucks. I wanted to shoot him in the foot. Weird that it screwed up the save and hit two conflicting flags.

• Locked thread