Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
An infiltrator of what? A random group of evacuees who would have been wiped out if a different robot had been in the area? I'm guessing that laser-face would not have been nearly as easy to outrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That actually went a lot better than I was expecting. It's kind of weird that the bad guy drives the robot like a top down video game from in the robot. At that point you may as well drive remotely. Or leave some room for cameras since you need to receive signals anyway.

I'm almost surprised we didn't get a scene where someone is submerging a bicycle tire in water to find a leak, so that they could flashback to it later.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's always the possibility that this is the body double, and the real Princess actually did die. That or she just happens to not be wearing Slaine's gift at the moment. WHO KNOWS?

Also Lord Koth the jets probably need line of sight for their missiles due to all the incredibly powerful ECM supposedly in use, and I think maybe the military wants to give their regular forces a chance before hitting already devastated areas with nuclear weapons. Or this could be yet another sci-fi invasion story that forgets Earth has nuclear weapons for some reason.

Hell, in this timeline there's been a united Earth government for decades, maybe they simply never developed a lot of that later cold war nuclear technology without the cold war?

Actually, the whole alt timeline kinda makes me wonder what happened to the USSR.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Since Earth is politically united, it stands to reason most major political powers underneath the global blanket are more economically united, so I'd actually guess the USSR avoided collapse, since its woes centered (in extreme simplification) on economic concerns.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think that once they realized they could help colonize Mars, they just decided, "pfft, screw communism."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

paragon1 posted:

There's always the possibility that this is the body double, and the real Princess actually did die. That or she just happens to not be wearing Slaine's gift at the moment. WHO KNOWS?

Also Lord Koth the jets probably need line of sight for their missiles due to all the incredibly powerful ECM supposedly in use, and I think maybe the military wants to give their regular forces a chance before hitting already devastated areas with nuclear weapons. Or this could be yet another sci-fi invasion story that forgets Earth has nuclear weapons for some reason.

Hell, in this timeline there's been a united Earth government for decades, maybe they simply never developed a lot of that later cold war nuclear technology without the cold war?

Actually, the whole alt timeline kinda makes me wonder what happened to the USSR.

Well I mean there's also the fact that this is anime and watching F-22s shoot missiles from BVR and then fly away is really boring. Also using nuclear weapons in the middle of a population centre is generally frowned upon. The moon breaking apart kind of destroyed enough habital area already.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically all my posts seem to indicate that I really want the princess to be dead.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The infodump on the official site actually have the biggest plot hole given that it was Apollo 17 which discovered the hypergate, why would the US want to give up such a large advantage in technology not only to the rest of the world but also to the USSR? They would have just kept it for themselves since no one else could get to the moon in the first place.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Furious Lobster posted:

The infodump on the official site actually have the biggest plot hole given that it was Apollo 17 which discovered the hypergate, why would the US want to give up such a large advantage in technology not only to the rest of the world but also to the USSR? They would have just kept it for themselves since no one else could get to the moon in the first place.

Because then the anime would turn into Battlezone.

Eej posted:

Also using nuclear weapons in the middle of a population centre is generally frowned upon.

That's part of what I was getting at, yeah.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Because then the anime would turn into Battlezone.

It's actually a little like Battlezone with the alien gate technology and space wars~ but the point remains there are always going to be giant plot holes everywhere even though the anime tries to be cute with its use of anime physics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also something to consider is that the previous war with the Vers was so devastating that they basically have no intel on their capabilities aside from Marito who I think they're implying was the only one to successfully retreat from combat with them. So basically they're all comically inept because they have no idea what they're fighting against but I could be wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing that most of the world's military got wiped out, too. It is possible that the assault on vers forces were so amateurish because the military is mostly staffed by amateurs. That might be an overly generous interpretation of standard anime warfare, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"So, what was the plan?"
"The Plan was to not go to war. We knew that as soon as war started, we were completely hosed."

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Eej posted:

Also something to consider is that the previous war with the Vers was so devastating that they basically have no intel on their capabilities aside from Marito who I think they're implying was the only one to successfully retreat from combat with them. So basically they're all comically inept because they have no idea what they're fighting against but I could be wrong.

Yeah, you're right on point; I forgot where Marito mentions the battle of Tanegashima, which was the only land battle to occur between VERS and the UFE but, he was one of the few survivors and saw how powerful they actually were. The main battle occurred at the Hyper gate, which disappeared so there were very few people who knew what VERS could do.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
Hopefully I wasn't the only one who thought of this story from Don Rosa when they showed what the mecha specialty was. A special suit of armor that could instantly dissolves everything in its path, including bullets.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it would be totally unfair to unleash Scrooge McDuck on the Vers empire. Pretty sure the Geneva convention forbids it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So did people stop caring about this show after episode 3? It has its issues, but it's still one of the better shows of the season.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

So did people stop caring about this show after episode 3? It has its issues, but it's still one of the better shows of the season.

Now that they're all together, the ensemble cast is proving surprisingly entertaining when the show isn't trying so hard to be serious, and Ei Aoki has gotten a shitload better at action and choreography since Fate/Zero, I'll give him that. I'm having a hard time connecting with it on a deeper level so far, but it's pretty drat compelling when poo poo hits the fan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well sure, but it's a pretty weak season.

Everything about Vers remains stupid, but I do like that we seem to be sticking with the MC being a robotic sneakfuck instead of giving him Earth's last ditch effort prototype or something.

Slaine's story looks like it's going to be slow as poo poo though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Are they using the fact that the main characters' mechs are training/prototype suits as an excuse to have them painted up in garish, super-robot-esque colors in this show? 'Cause that's kinda funny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Are they using the fact that the main characters' mechs are training/prototype suits as an excuse to have them painted up in garish, super-robot-esque colors in this show? 'Cause that's kinda funny.

It's a pretty good excuse, actually - training vehicles are very often that garish. Just look at some of the eye-hurting training aircraft schemes from World War II.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just holding off from posting for a bit. I only just watched 3 last night (thought it was pretty good) and am about to watch 4.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, haven't had a chance to watch ep.4 yet. I am mainly concerned about where things will go now that the series is in the hands of the main writer and out of Urobuchi's.

Also:

Rodyle posted:

I disagree, it's been pretty good so far, especially if you like comedy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Episode four was great. I like the fact that they're sticking with the "underdogs use tactics and resourcefulness to fight back against a seemingly overwhelming enemy" plan.

Also loved how the fight in this episode was resolved. The enemy is focused on one of his opponents -- BAM, blindsided by a shipping container. Good stuff.

Also: "You're trying to escape?" *looks around, sees he's pretty much hosed if he doesn't book it out of there* "Feh, you're not worthy my time." Sore loser much?

So far I'm loving this series. Every week I'm sad the episode's over because then I have to wait another week for the next episode.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Mikl posted:

Episode four was great. I like the fact that they're sticking with the "underdogs use tactics and resourcefulness to fight back against a seemingly overwhelming enemy" plan.

Also loved how the fight in this episode was resolved. The enemy is focused on one of his opponents -- BAM, blindsided by a shipping container. Good stuff.

So far I'm loving this series. Every week I'm sad the episode's over because then I have to wait another week for the next episode.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. Every fight on the show feels like they're actually probing for weaknesses and using clever maneuvers to win. It's a lot more entertaining than most mech shows that use some sort of overwhelming force at the last minute to win.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a pretty good robot show. It felt like they were making the regular soldiers a little too stupid compared to the high-schoolers that time, but it wasn't too bad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ah, I was totally wrong about Slaine. He doesn't know where Cruhteo stands. Nor does he know how to get in contact with Asseylum.

I expect him to use this opportunity to get in contact with the Inaho's group.

Also, this show really demonstrates why, in videogames, I like having more dudes than someone else. Not only does quantity have a quality of its own, it also allows you to exploit weaknesses and opportunities. I've always wanted a show where the protagonists are a swarm of weaker units pack hunting down stronger foes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Ah, I was totally wrong about Slaine. He doesn't know where Cruhteo stands. Nor does he know how to get in contact with Asseylum.

I expect him to use this opportunity to get in contact with the Inaho's group.

Also, this show really demonstrates why, in videogames, I like having more dudes than someone else. Not only does quantity have a quality of its own, it also allows you to exploit weaknesses and opportunities. I've always wanted a show where the protagonists are a swarm of weaker units pack hunting down stronger foes.

I hope you have purchased one Hideaki Kamiya's Wonderful 101.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I should watch the LP, because I don't have a Wii U.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I forgot that while we, the viewers know that the Count is almost certainly loyal, Slaine's not sure and has spent the last however long being abused by the guy. I also hadn't realized that Cruhteo was also an Orbital Knight, stewing in his castle the last 15 years.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as Cruhteo goes, he definitely doesn't think much about Asseylum, but he also doesn't seem aggressively antagonistic towards her. But then again, the guy he let on his ship seems to be the one that set up her assassination.

In due time, I suppose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

It's a pretty good robot show. It felt like they were making the regular soldiers a little too stupid compared to the high-schoolers that time, but it wasn't too bad.

I think that they just had the good luck of being the second people on the scene. So the soldiers had already told them the new kataphrakt's strengths and weaknesses (by dying messily), which thus gave Inaho more time to formulate a workable strategy.

Also, there's clearly something not quite right with Inaho - the show keeps drawing attention to the way that this is not how a normal human being would respond to things.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I just realized why I like the martians so much. For those who have watched Turn A Gundam, they're a race made up entirely of Gym Ginghams (with a couple exceptions). And it's great.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

I just realized why I like the martians so much. For those who have watched Turn A Gundam, they're a race made up entirely of Gym Ginghams (with a couple exceptions). And it's great.

:allears:

Episode 4 continues with pretty solid stuff. This seems to be one of the better Mecha shows that I've seen, and I can't help but echo how satisfying it is to see protagonists resolve an issue with something other than whipping out a special finisher from their OP as gently caress specialized Gundam.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aldnoah Zero: What if Archduke Franz Ferdinand was a space princess?

I now have an anime example of how belligerents will use any reason to start a war even if they're just tagging along for the ride and it doesn't matter if a single event didn't happen cause they'd just find another excuse.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Everything about Vers remains stupid, but I do like that we seem to be sticking with the MC being a robotic sneakfuck instead of giving him Earth's last ditch effort prototype or something.

Slaine's story looks like it's going to be slow as poo poo though.

Eh, IMHO Summer 2014 > Spring 2014. I know there's a few big sequels in the works for Fall/Winter seasons but it's not what I'd call a "weak season" atm.

I agree, having Inaho being capable to take out enemies with a normal mecha is better than some OP secret mecha hidden just in case.

I feel like it's going to pick up since Slaine just requested to join the battle field on Earth. I predict he is going to attempt to contact/rescue Seylum somehow.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how we treat promotional material with regards to spoilers, but one image shows him in front of the pillbug robot with the matter-disintegrating field. If there's some future team-up between the two protagonists, I can see that opening up some tactical possibilities.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So. Every one of the Martian robots so far has activated an "Aldnoah" something or other to kickstart their special abilities. The show's called Aldnoah Zero, what's the betting Inaho ends up piloting the original Aldnoah Drive powered robot by the end of the show?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BabelFish posted:

So. Every one of the Martian robots so far has activated an "Aldnoah" something or other to kickstart their special abilities. The show's called Aldnoah Zero, what's the betting Inaho ends up piloting the original Aldnoah Drive powered robot by the end of the show?

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Aldnoah is the power the Martians discovered on Mars that made them the Vers Empire. It seems to be some sort of supernatural force, rather than something cooked up by a particular type of engine like Minovsky particles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

BabelFish posted:

I'd be surprised if it doesn't make an appearance, but having Inaho pilot it and wreck stuff would go against the current "feel" of the show, which is underdogs kicking the poo poo out of superior opponents with resourcefulness and tactics. It would seriously be a letdown.

• Locked thread