Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Now that the game mentions the existence of a secret fifth element besides earth/air/fire/water, I can't help but wonder if it's supposed to be whatever element is right in the center of the spellcaster's grid, if the four others are the corner pieces.

Can someone post a picture of the elemental runes and what exactly they mean? I'm curious to see what exactly they all mean, and if the four corners are the base elements, are the four outer middle pieces supposed to be combinations of them? (IE the rune between fire and earth represents something made with both fire AND earth, or something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ousire posted:

Now that the game mentions the existence of a secret fifth element besides earth/air/fire/water, I can't help but wonder if it's supposed to be whatever element is right in the center of the spellcaster's grid, if the four others are the corner pieces.

Can someone post a picture of the elemental runes and what exactly they mean? I'm curious to see what exactly they all mean, and if the four corners are the base elements, are the four outer middle pieces supposed to be combinations of them? (IE the rune between fire and earth represents something made with both fire AND earth, or something.)

It's an interesting theory, and entirely plausible. Equally likely is that only the four elemental signifiers match an element (Maybe the center is an element, maybe not), and others are thematic modifiers. It'll certainly be interesting when we have a better picture, and/or Agent355 explains his own theory.

As far as the monsters go, this is what I love about Grimrock 2 so far, and why I'm quite sad I haven't been able to get it yet (Give it time, I'll get there): I played pretty much all the first person, tile based RPGs of yesteryear, and not a single one has enemies that can coexist in a tile with you (like a swarm of rats), or enemies that leap, the way the frogs do (There have been some teleporting enemies, but mostly they've been bosses in games, and it's been part of their boss pattern.) So, of all the features of Grimrock that impress me the most, experimentation wise, the monster patterns are the best. Although ledges you fall down that don't just teleport you to a new area comes a close second.

Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if the Wizardry series was ever remade by Almost Human in the Grimrock 2 engine. But only kinda.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Bought Legend of Grimrock 2 a few weeks back, much thanks to this LP. It's been really fun! Agent is now where I'm at in the game, and it's interesting seeing what kinds of difficulties he is having as opposed to me, despite our party makeup being similar (barbarian, battle mage, wizard, alchemist). Those bugs are far less troubling if you've pumped agility and a point of accuracy into your barbarian (he hits weaker, but, then again, he actually hits). Having two spellcasters is also a godsend in that I can panic-spam spells should I need to and is basically the only way I managed to beat the rock golem secret boss. Of course, my guys are a tad more fragile and die more than Agent's do, especially when the magic juice runs low.

Another thing which I feel is worth pointing out is that the game literally drowns you in food if you don't have a farmer to gobble it all up for you and in some places food-spawning monsters seem to respawn (a few turtles down at the beach seems to have). Resting up regularly is actually a fairly viable strategy, at least thus far in the game.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So this is going on right now https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/legendofgrimrock2_storefront
It's 35% off again but that's still just over 15 bucks for an honest to goodness game of the year contender (in my heart).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Given the setting, the 5th element is PROBABLY magic.

Either that, or SmashMouth is going to have to romance a party member.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Other contenders for the 5th element to include Gravity (almighty force behind the great strength of THE PITS), Imagination (not really an element), and Crotchbats, without which the other elements would have no meaning.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Given the setting, the 5th element is PROBABLY magic.

Either that, or SmashMouth is going to have to romance a party member.

Smashmouth Dallas Multipass

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
The 5th Element is love, duh

No wait, it's Honda

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Fell asleep with your LP playlist on a loop. Had some really weird dreams. It was a good LP though. Really enjoyed it. I did watch it again after I woke up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Fell asleep with your LP playlist on a loop. Had some really weird dreams. It was a good LP though. Really enjoyed it. I did watch it again after I woke up.

Sleeping through this LP is apparently Olesh approved, so you're doing it right.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

ousire posted:

http://www.grimrock.net/2011/10/14/magic-and-runes/

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
After reading that I could make some pretty good arguments for the runes in the cardinal directions being a combination of the two linking runes. Fire and Air equals Death, yes. Air and Water equals Physicality (the immaterial becomes material), yes. Earth and Water equals Life, absolutely. Fire and Earth equals Spirituality... okay? It doesn't seem to flow quite so well. But the middle is Balance and of course it is.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Legend of Grimrock 2 is 30% off on Steam for people who want to play it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251730/

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
the fifth element is surprise everyone knows that. Or a fun movie with Bruce willis in it.

masam
May 27, 2010
Bruce Willis is the fifth element.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The fifth element is food, as proven by our peasant.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The fifth element is people.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
It's actually just fire again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

It's Boron.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's time duh.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, we're having to act cooperatively to complete these tasks...

Oh god. It's Friendship, isn't it?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
Seems pretty obvious to me that we're gonna need to summon Captain Planet here, so obviously the last power orb is gonna require Smashmouth to use his noodly appendages to rip out the Island Master's still beating heart and eat it place it on a pedestal..

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'll guess Order, or Creation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nah the fifth element is going to be Balance (which you could probably argue is also Order), remember that the fifth element has to mediate between the other four to prevent them from cancelling each other out.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
The fifth element is rigid adherence to formation.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Nah the fifth element is going to be Balance (which you could probably argue is also Order), remember that the fifth element has to mediate between the other four to prevent them from cancelling each other out.

Well didn't they also say that the other elements would just cancel each other out if they were balanced and nothing would exist? The fifth element could very well be Chaos, the spark of randomness that keeps things changing. And since the Island master seems to be A) a douche and B) the master of the island with the shrine of the fifth element, it's probably not something noble like balance or order.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hah what makes you think abstract concepts like 'balance' or 'order' have a moral component or are intrinsically 'good'?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Neruz posted:

Hah what makes you think abstract concepts like 'balance' or 'order' have a moral component or are intrinsically 'good'?

Because it's a fantasy video game, and even though some games of that vein are branching out into PHIL110 concepts like "order isn't always maintained by good people" and "anti-establishment rebels aren't always bad people" in their storytelling, it'd be a safe bet that the weirdo Island Master which purposefully tricks the protagonists into traps is something that leans a bit more toward Chaotic than Lawful.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
He may lean more towards Chaotic, but at least he shows that he has Heart (the true 5th Element) while doing it.

edited to say that I haven't played this so if I'm late to the joke, :shrug:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The fifth element is pizza! Honestly, everyone from here to Spielburg knows that :rolleyes:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The fifth element is the omnipotent RNG :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pierzak posted:

Nuffle is the 5th element

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pierzak posted:

Logically then, that would make Cheating the first element.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Normally the four Elements would cancel each other out, but instead we Cheat!'

I love it :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Considering the final boss of the first Grimrock was a giant die, I'd call this a strong possibility.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

death .cab for qt posted:

Because it's a fantasy video game, and even though some games of that vein are branching out into PHIL110 concepts like "order isn't always maintained by good people" and "anti-establishment rebels aren't always bad people" in their storytelling, it'd be a safe bet that the weirdo Island Master which purposefully tricks the protagonists into traps is something that leans a bit more toward Chaotic than Lawful.

One could argue that he is acting Lawful. You're on his island, playing by his rules, jumping through hoops at his command, and solving his structured puzzles. In the words of Rocky Balboa, "I am the Law!" Also, you're playing a bunch of convicts. Just letting you go free would be Chaotic. In a way, he is keeping you incarcerated in a murder jail made of puzzles and adventure!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cartheon posted:

One could argue that he is acting Lawful. You're on his island, playing by his rules, jumping through hoops at his command, and solving his structured puzzles. In the words of Rocky Balboa, "I am the Law!" Also, you're playing a bunch of convicts. Just letting you go free would be Chaotic. In a way, he is keeping you incarcerated in a murder jail made of puzzles and adventure!

Ohhh poo poo, the final boss is going to be a wizard that insists he's a Dungeon Master. If last game was a D6, that's just the logical progression. :psyduck:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
You forgot to mention the very important defensive benefits that orb provides for a battlemage as well, namely, +10 protection, which is no joke. I forget if they also get that from wands. It's basically to compensate for not being able to use a shield.

Also, I had not been able to figure out that plagues puzzle because I assumed from the more general angle of "things related to this plague" and put a frost bomb in the cold niche. Good to know I was foiled by failing to think with pants.

Also, regarding your tragic firearms situation, minor spoilers:
You can find a much better firearm than the pistol to the north, just take a right and it's sitting on a pedestal right outside the stone ruin

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

death .cab for qt posted:

Ohhh poo poo, the final boss is going to be a wizard that insists he's a Dungeon Master. If last game was a D6, that's just the logical progression. :psyduck:

Final boss is gonna be the :downs: cousin of the d6, the crystal die d6.

Gonna be foiled by the fact that he can't turn and isn't really good for anything other than running off the loving table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Daerc posted:

Final boss is gonna be the :downs: cousin of the d6, the crystal die d6.

Gonna be foiled by the fact that he can't turn and isn't really good for anything other than running off the loving table.

Nope. gonna be the rarely seen D4.

Or the mystical D12.

• Locked thread