Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

tiistai posted:

C-stick isn't used for movement in any way. Aiming around is done by holding R, which makes Samus stand in place.

I haven't done rom hacking myself but I'm fairly certain hacking in a new input scheme would be a pretty ridiculously hard job, not the least of which would be essentially trying to replicate the moving arm cannon that Trilogy has. Not even Retro managed to do it properly.
Yeah, I realised actually hacking it in would be impractical. As I too late edited into my last post to avoid a double, though, you could probably emulate Trilogy and bind right stick on a PC controller to pointer movement to achieve something similar.

E: Added quote, though I don't know how much it'll help, I have a strange penchant for the absolute worst page-toppers. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Technically, Prime: Hunters on the DS controlled like a twin-stick shooter. I imagine if it were possible, Prime would play similarly to that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope your Christmas entrées actually exist.

Also, I will be out of town until the 30th so while I'll have access to the forum, I won't have access to my videos. The next episode won't go up until I get back.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So if the beams don't stack, is the Power Beam pretty much useless now?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Nah. Not only are some things immune to electricity but it fires faster, has a bigger blast area (better for those tunnel swarm bugs) and has a better punch for charged shots. The Wave beam has some homing ability (useful for fast enemies), I believe a little more dps for rapid fire (though slower in individual shots), and the charged shot stuns enemies for about half a second.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh cool. So all the beams remain useful throughout the game. Although I assume with the switch to 3D the Ice Beam gets taken back a couple notches. I'd think it'd be harder to jump onto frozen enemies in 3D.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Power Beam also has probably the most useful combo, and at worse it's only the 2nd best.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There are some enemies later that are only weak to power beam shots. In fact all four beams have enemies that only they can kill. While each new beam weapon tends to be more useful/stronger than the previous one in general combat, Retro studios did an amazing job at making sure each beam weapon is useful and fun all the way throughout the length of the game.

Kurieg posted:

Power Beam also has probably the most useful combo, and at worse it's only the 2nd best.

It's definitely the most practical/used. The other contender for best also sucks up ammo like a beast and it's hard to find a use outside of a very small subset (generally bosses).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Pretty much except for a combo upgrade we're about to get, for dealing with early-game trash, or for certain specific enemies that cannot be damaged by other beams. Admittedly, said combo upgrade is extremely useful against bosses, but against anything else it's just overkill. See, Prime 1's weapon selection is something of a problem when each new beam is notably better than the previous one. Not only does the Wave Beam home in slightly, but it also stuns most things it hits with a charged shot. This even includes half-charged shots, and thus you can often take on a pack of enemies by funneling them into a line and stunlocking the nearest one with half-charged shots. The Power Beam's combo upgrade might be useful for damage if the enemies had more health, but outside of some rare instances they don't.

Prime 2's weapon selection was definitely the best of the series, because it constantly gave you reasons to use each different beam rather than just the current one. The Power Beam is still the weakest of the bunch, but when the enemies start ramping up in difficulty that same combo upgrade gains significant use. Weapon ammunition was a bit wonky but scavenging for more was never difficult, so I didn't mind it. As for Prime 3, well, let's just say that combat had a different focus than choosing which beam to use.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Pardon me, Fae, but regarding the item under the ice that FPzero showed you: The toy you should really be thinking of is a Bumble Ball.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Some other cool things about the beams in Prime:

The little emblems in the bottom right corner that represent each beam are the hand gestures Samus makes to activate them.

All the beams other than the power beam expand Samus' arm cannon along an axis. So for example, activating the Wave Beam causes Samus' gun to expand horizontally.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Retro put a ton of thought into that arm cannon, as the menu for Prime 3 shows quite succinctly.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

KieranWalker posted:

Pardon me, Fae, but regarding the item under the ice that FPzero showed you: The toy you should really be thinking of is a Bumble Ball.

The word she was looking for was "Koosh". Kooshballs are the "hairy" ones. That said, I totally agree that the upgrade looks nothing like a koosh, and much more like an oddly rotating bumble ball.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

FPzero posted:

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope your Christmas entrées actually exist.

Also, I will be out of town until the 30th so while I'll have access to the forum, I won't have access to my videos. The next episode won't go up until I get back.

You don't have to shoot the miniboss in the neck. Its entire head is vulnerable while it's panting. I think it's still faster to bomb it to death, but I have no idea how to get under the drat thing without taking damage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

You don't have to shoot the miniboss in the neck. Its entire head is vulnerable while it's panting. I think it's still faster to bomb it to death, but I have no idea how to get under the drat thing without taking damage.

Bombs have a bigger blast radius than you'd think. Than anone things, really, which is why we all get hurt trying to bomb it. "vulnerable underbelly" actually means "bomb the legs and tail."

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
There is actually a graphical effect on the charged Power Beam. Look at the reddish-orange lines on the arm cannon; when you charge the Power Beam, there's a subtle glow effect coming off them, like light is shining out of the inside of the cannon. See the below link.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Beam?file=Reactor_Core_Entrance_HD.jpg

I don't remember it being quite that obvious in the video, but you can still see it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We play some video games I dunno I went on vacation and forgot what we did this episode. Pirate base.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bluemage142 posted:

There is actually a graphical effect on the charged Power Beam. Look at the reddish-orange lines on the arm cannon; when you charge the Power Beam, there's a subtle glow effect coming off them, like light is shining out of the inside of the cannon. See the below link.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Beam?file=Reactor_Core_Entrance_HD.jpg

I don't remember it being quite that obvious in the video, but you can still see it.

Yeah, unfortunately it, like all the other charge beam effects, were 2d sprites assuming a forced perspective of the cannon. They're all turned off in the Trilogy collection.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I thought this game continued after Super Metroid, which is why them having a metroid here was bad news.

Isn't the sequence suppose to be Metroid/zero Mission, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, the Prime Trilogy, and then Fusion? (gently caress Other M)

Also I probably spent a good 4th of my time playing this game scanning all the things. The Planitarium was magic to me, since I'm a space nerd and love lore.

RedMagus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 31, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Wait, I thought this game continued after Super Metroid, which is why them having a metroid here was bad news.

Isn't the sequence suppose to be Metroid/zero Mission, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, the Prime Trilogy, and then Fusion? (gently caress Other M)

Also u probably spent a good 4th of my time playing this game scanning all the things. The Planitarium was magic to me, since I'm a space nerd and love lore.

Nope

Metroid-->Prime-->Prime Hunters-->Prime 2-->Prime 3-->Metroid 2-->Super-->THEBABY-->Fusion

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Halfway through the video, but if you're looking for the log I think you're looking for it's in the other place with a pile of pirate data.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Metroid 2 is when you exterminate all metroids forever except the few the space pirates and Mother Brain kept.

And the Fed's rainy day crafts box of Metroids.

E:The chozo are really bad at what they set out to do, arent they?
Samus is the bird poo janitor.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 31, 2015

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Also, try firing the power beam really fast for a couple of minutes. It has a neat effect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Nope

Metroid-->Prime-->Prime Hunters-->Prime 2-->Prime 3-->Metroid 2-->Super-->THEBABY-->Fusion

I always thought Fusion came before Other M

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Re: Metroids, it's basically like

Metroid/Zero Mission: the space pirates are evil and these metroids are dangerous so logically the pirates shouldn't have them.

Prime 1 2 3: they exist I guess but aren't important

Hunters: M.I.A.

Pinball: VIDEO GAMES

Metroid 2: hmm these metroids sure are dangerous we should probably destroy them forever

Super: oh look one of them survived maybe we shouldn't kill them oh god the pirates are attacking again

THE BABY: lets take some metroid goop that was on her suit and clone them this won't end badly oh wait it did please destroy them again

Fusion: samus needs to be saved let's inject her with metroid dna we conveniently sitting around because HA HA HA we cloned them again back in Super (are you surprised yet) and put them all on this space station no please stop blowing it all up ok now you're wanted by the *GALACTIC FEDERATION* missy.

I might have just spoiled the plot of the entire series come to think of it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spoilering a Metroid game is akin to spoilering a Mario game. Don't worry about it too much, because you can't really?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Before Other M came out I was hoping for a sequel that's like a Metroid 2 remake and your mission is to kill all Metroids and the Metroid Queen, only at some point you realize it's a sequel to Fusion, the "Queen" is actually Samus, and you're some Federation goon using mocks of her suit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I always thought Fusion came before Other M

One of the key plot points of Fusion is that Adam is capital D Dead, and your computer is a memory-clone of him. Adam doesn't die until Other M.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Before Other M came out I was hoping for a sequel that's like a Metroid 2 remake and your mission is to kill all Metroids and the Metroid Queen, only at some point you realize it's a sequel to Fusion, the "Queen" is actually Samus, and you're some Federation goon using mocks of her suit.

Your suit having been based on what the Federation had reverse engineered of her suit during Fusion. The Federation tells you that the Metroid Queen has taken over a Federation Research facility, and that it's your mission to eliminate the Metroids and destroy the facility. You get there and your orders increasingly make less and less sense, as they ask you to retrieve samples of Metroid bio-data, download research logs that subtly hint at the Metroids having been created by the Federation, etc. Then Fusion-suited Samus shows up, which is a bit of a mind-gently caress because "what the hell I'm Samus" and she kicks your rear end, leaching your energy Metroid style in a first person cutscene until you're down to 1 energy, at which point she rips your helmet off (probably figuring you're another SA-X or something), then backs away in shock. At this point the Federation decides to blast the site from orbit, and Samus is caught in the explosion, losing her Ice Beam (a weapon that up until this point you have not had, relying entirely on missiles and the power beam + assorted authorized upgrades). Samus escapes but leaves the upgrade behind, which you pick up. At this point your commanders freak out because you've upgraded your suit without permission, and declare your mission failed and order you to stand down. Some mooks show up, tell you to surrender, and then one of them says "Surrender? I though we were supposed to kill him?" at which point everyone starts firing. The rest of the game is spent just trying to get the hell out of the facility while being hunted by the Federation, the Metroids in the base, and Samus Freaking Aran. Have only the first quarter of the game comprise everything up to that point, and when everything goes to hell the game lets you off the rails and it plays just like another Prime game, hidden upgrades and all. The suitless twist at the end is that you're a dude.

Sakamoto will never let it happen.
:negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's probably a good thing this isn't in the Resident Evil universe. If Umbrella and the Pirates teamed up they'd rub some phazon on the T-virus and who KNOWS what would happen.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Bruceski posted:

It's probably a good thing this isn't in the Resident Evil universe. If Umbrella and the Pirates teamed up they'd rub some phazon on the T-virus and who KNOWS what would happen.

Probably Resident Evil 6.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Pirates discovered Phazon and are now using Zelda logic (rub new item against everything in the dungeon to see what works).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alkydere posted:

The Pirates discovered Phazon and are now using Adventure game logic (rub new item against everything in the world to see what works).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That explains the three-headed monkey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Your suit having been based on what the Federation had reverse engineered of her suit during Fusion. The Federation tells you that the Metroid Queen has taken over a Federation Research facility, and that it's your mission to eliminate the Metroids and destroy the facility. You get there and your orders increasingly make less and less sense, as they ask you to retrieve samples of Metroid bio-data, download research logs that subtly hint at the Metroids having been created by the Federation, etc. Then Fusion-suited Samus shows up, which is a bit of a mind-gently caress because "what the hell I'm Samus" and she kicks your rear end, leaching your energy Metroid style in a first person cutscene until you're down to 1 energy, at which point she rips your helmet off (probably figuring you're another SA-X or something), then backs away in shock. At this point the Federation decides to blast the site from orbit, and Samus is caught in the explosion, losing her Ice Beam (a weapon that up until this point you have not had, relying entirely on missiles and the power beam + assorted authorized upgrades). Samus escapes but leaves the upgrade behind, which you pick up. At this point your commanders freak out because you've upgraded your suit without permission, and declare your mission failed and order you to stand down. Some mooks show up, tell you to surrender, and then one of them says "Surrender? I though we were supposed to kill him?" at which point everyone starts firing. The rest of the game is spent just trying to get the hell out of the facility while being hunted by the Federation, the Metroids in the base, and Samus Freaking Aran. Have only the first quarter of the game comprise everything up to that point, and when everything goes to hell the game lets you off the rails and it plays just like another Prime game, hidden upgrades and all. The suitless twist at the end is that you're a dude.

Sakamoto will never let it happen.
:negative:

I was with you right up until you didn't go with 'you're a Ridley Metroid' as the surprise twist.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't the star be Tallon since we're on Tallon IV?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I was with you right up until you didn't go with 'you're a Ridley Metroid' as the surprise twist.

That or you're an SA-X would be a hilarious twist, yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Wha- I- No! No sh- She- She takes the helmet off, no! That'd never work!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

That could be a funny twist for a tutorial area, where you get to Samus, she kills you, absorbs you, and from then on you play as Samus like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That could be a funny twist for a tutorial area, where you get to Samus, she kills you, absorbs you, and from then on you play as Samus like normal.

Except it just turns out that was another SA-X, and it repeats constantly throughout the rest of the game, with you controlling a different one every section of the game. Samus never actually appears.

• Locked thread