Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
irc.afternet.org #automationgame

It's literally the top item in post #2 of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Riso posted:

Also I just saw your air plane engine competition on their forums. Interesting but weird!

Thanks - I'm doing it partially because I have a keen interest in airplanes and aviation (obviously), and also because it is giving me an opportunity to test out some things I can apply to my automotive challenges.

You guys are more than welcome to join in if you like!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I did. Now read my PM and download my files you butt. :colbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym-ajuCoXX8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev update again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPRhWxGl2g

Open beta of the upcoming version starts in a couple of weeks, with the public release by the end of the month it seems. Then there will be another open beta shortly after, with another public release right after shortly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

New open beta hit today, adds the lite version of the campaign mode.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It sure did, it also brought with it inline-3s, but they are currently missing sounds and their artwork is bugged.

So with the open beta out, this begins the terminal countdown to the beginning of my oft-ballyhoed challenge. This release cycle for Automation will be a short one, possibly as little as a couple weeks, until the next version. At this point, since there will be a lengthy break to the next release (which will be the first Unreal version), that is when my challenge will launch.

The basic simulation model (including weather simulation) is complete, but I have run into a few issues with the driver and economic simulation...try as I may, I can't figure out something that would be fun and engaging, and not end up punishing the poo poo out of new players. I'm going to give it one more shot to figure something out, but if I can't, it's going on the shelf until the following challenge.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
*edges forward on seat*

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Little Dev Update time again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv4jD4eVpdE

Mostly just showing off some bug clean-up and a bit of rationalisation, along with a brief touch on what's up for the second phase of this open beta, where they're going to add some additional features to this build to help tide us over until the Unreal version is done, likely late this year or early next.

If you want to vote on this, go read this thread and have your say in the polls!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Gimme the dang unreal engine by Christmas tia

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Gimme the dang unreal engine by Christmas tia

Probably early next year.

New dev update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TfHi1PnI3k

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I made a bit of a monster

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Welp my season been in the toilet since the second race - strat has been a learning experience as well as the overall racing.
So much I could have done to make a much faster car but chose fuel efficiency and reliability.
That's what happens when your file blows up 4 hours before final submission.

Chips... WHEN!? WHEN IS YOUR EVENT?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEgWCT4Ty8

And a tutorial to go along with the light campaign as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g9QxexXZUJg

extreme_accordion posted:

Welp my season been in the toilet since the second race - strat has been a learning experience as well as the overall racing.
So much I could have done to make a much faster car but chose fuel efficiency and reliability.
That's what happens when your file blows up 4 hours before final submission.

Chips... WHEN!? WHEN IS YOUR EVENT?

Yes, this BRC season has been quite a learning experience. After a good start, things aren't looking so good for me going forward, but hey, there's always next time!

And, the event is coming soon. Like sooner than you or I even know!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Like sooner than you or I even know!

We are in now now, everything that is happening now, is happening now.

I simultaneously love and hate this news.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAebHWyh98

This is the first dev update that gets into the nuts and bolts of the upcoming UE4 version of Automation, and shows some very interesting things that are coming in the engine designer side of things, namely inline-5s, V10s, boxer engines, 60-degree V8s and 90-degree V6s. Plus, it's already looking good!

On my upcoming challenge, I've run into a couple of issues I found in testing, so I need to get those fixed before I am ready to run things.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I won't be happy until I can make a Slant-6, including putting the intakes and exhaust headers on the same side and sticking the carb on top

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

I won't be happy until I can make a Slant-6, including putting the intakes and exhaust headers on the same side and sticking the carb on top

That may yet be coming, but don't hold me to it just yet. Killrob made a bit of a throwaway comment regarding the artwork, in that with the new modular system they made for the Unreal Engine, it might not be too hard to implement the slant aspect. As for the cylinder head, well, who knows if non-crossflow heads will ever make it :v:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Exhaust glow :awesome:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAn-I5z2j8

Work is progressing aplomb on the Unreal Engine version; with any luck, they will be in open beta in about three months.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Caswal posted this in IRC earlier

http://i.imgur.com/7OjizIZ.gifv

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I just want a new challenge because BRC just got away from me and I've said f-it for the last 3 races because I've been too busy.

V16 = time to make the trucks. When they put TTT/SC'd i8s and TT i6s and i5s.... I'll have reached nirvana.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

LDU for Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPSjy8ONroA

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright boys and girls, the time has come. We are now only a few days away, after many broken promises and missed deadlines, from the SASC-89 Challenge. Before that begins, however, I have a pre-challenge design for you all; Design A Prototype Chassis!

What I want you to do is to take the Group C body, shown here:

And design a worthy-looking entry for the SASC-89 Prototype class. This is only a design challenge; I do not want complete cars for this! In other words, using this body in the 1989 Model Year, make it the shape you think will appeal to me the most, add whatever fixtures you like (only mods in Pyrlix's High Quality Essentials Collection on Steam, FOUND HERE, then submit the body, without engines or suspension tuning to AISheepGame@gmail.com before January 16th!

How do you submit your entry? Using the export button like this:

Some things to keep in mind:

• The rules for the Prototype class allow, at least in theory, engines that could produce well in excess of a thousand horsepower. Make sure the body fixtures provide at least 1500 kJ/s of cooling capacity.
  • This is a prototype car, so lightweight takes precedent over cost, so carbonfibre and fiberglass for everything, along with double wishbone suspension all-around.
  • Make sure the Model Year, in the top left of your screen, is set to 1989!

I will do the chassis tuning (such as tires, brakes and the like) in order to ensure the end result is more or less equal to my existing prototype design.

Good luck!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So then we'll be doing "motors only" similar to the current DP class?

Later on I mean - not here with the body design comp.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 13, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So then we'll be doing "motors only" similar to the current DP class?

Later on I mean - not here with the body design comp.

That's exactly what it will be! Motors, along with some suspension and aero tuning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright everyone...it's finally happened.

:siren: :siren: SASC-89 HAS FINALLY GONE LIVE!!!:siren::siren:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Dev Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtRWv0Mi4U

Lots of cosmetic stuff added to the car designer, like the ability to roll your own paints, custom badges and license plates! :pcgaming:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

A big congratulations to our very own Duuk for winning the overall title in the BRC 1976 Challenge!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

A big congratulations to our very own Duuk for winning the overall title in the BRC 1976 Challenge!

Awesome! Go Goons!

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

MrChips posted:

Awesome! Go Goons!

Thanks! This being my first time entering the challenge I wasn't sure how well it'd turn out - but the car proved to be solid and I ducked the worst of (all kinds of) incidents.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So for those of you not following too closely, my Automation challenge in Let's Play is moving right along - we are part way through preseason testing, and there is always room for more players.

Don't worry if you think you can't be competitive; the best way to learn is to just jump in and have a go! There will be ample opportunity to tune and rework your entry, both before and during the season as well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

e: wrong thread

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New dev update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RdQBdO1gU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So with SASC-89 well under way now, I am brainstorming some ideas for my next Automation challenge - and don't worry, the turnaround on this challenge will be much less than the year between this and the previous challenge!

While the GT racing has proven to be quite a fun format so far, I am kind of leaning towards something radically different for the next challenge. At the moment, I am kind of kicking around the idea of a rallycross-type challenge, but that's just one of about half a dozen ideas I have come up with, some of them even incorporating non-racing elements in them. If any of you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
1970/71 CAN-AM,
V8 Super Cars,
80s/90s economy sports racers (3s and 4s < 2L),
80s IMSA
2010 World Challenge

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Rally stages stuff more angled to off road could be interesting

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MrChips posted:

So with SASC-89 well under way now, I am brainstorming some ideas for my next Automation challenge - and don't worry, the turnaround on this challenge will be much less than the year between this and the previous challenge!

While the GT racing has proven to be quite a fun format so far, I am kind of leaning towards something radically different for the next challenge. At the moment, I am kind of kicking around the idea of a rallycross-type challenge, but that's just one of about half a dozen ideas I have come up with, some of them even incorporating non-racing elements in them. If any of you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Hot hatchback Rallycross! (EDIT: Hatchbacks from 1985 or thereabouts)

I just picked up this game and am thoroughly enjoying its complexity. I get that the campaign mode is a bit of a placeholder at the moment, but what the hell can I do to turn a profit? I try to build something basic and relatively cheap, but it always goes over like a lead balloon.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 21, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well, we are already doing this ;)

I'd love to do a Can-Am type series in the 70s, but it would have to be after 1975, as turbos don't show up until then (and even then they aren't that good).

One of the reasons I am leaning toward something like rallycross is that it is a lot faster and simpler to administer than the expansive GT series I've done the last few times. Plus, it also opens up the possibility of a lot more interaction from the participants.

Overwined posted:

Hot hatchback Rallycross! (EDIT: Hatchbacks from 1985 or thereabouts)

I just picked up this game and am thoroughly enjoying its complexity. I get that the campaign mode is a bit of a placeholder at the moment, but what the hell can I do to turn a profit? I try to build something basic and relatively cheap, but it always goes over like a lead balloon.

There are a few things that can help you make a ton of money. First, when you start the game, take note of which vehicles are popular in your region and try to stick with them - as much fun as it is trying to be a boutique sports car manufacturer, it's really, really tough going, especially in the early days.

Make sure you build your cars as cheap as possible - don't splurge on engineering details in the engine and drivetrain you don't necessarily need. On a related note, design cars and engines that can support a multitude of trim levels - basic, midrange, luxury and/or sporty, and can also be used in multiple model ranges. Just remember that it will be your basic/midrange offerings that will support the high end - to give you a real world example, BMW moves something like 50-60 standard 3-Series for every M3 they sell, and something like 15-20 3-Series for every 7-Series they sell.

Make sure you're able to mark your cars up properly too - if you can't mark up by 20-ish% at the beginning of your production run and have your competitiveness score (the numbers in the boxes with demographic names in them) at or above 100, you're going to struggle to make any money. This is a tall order, since your competitors are actual cars made by some of the most talented Automation players in the world, but it can be done.

Oh, don't blow your brains out by building a factory that's too big to start out with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Thanks for the tips! Very helpful and I get the whole "be practical with your initial cars" thing. Out of curiosity, am I missing a way to go back to a production car and introduce a new trim level or is it not there? Do you have to basically create all the trim levels during initial design?

EDIT: Also, I'd love to drop already designed engines into different chassis, but I can't seem to do that either.