Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Love that boardstate.

Keeping the whip in may make that board state even stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Oh I can agree with the statement its boring, as I have said a few times, creature based midrange is my LEAST favorite archetype in magic. I'd rather play all day against donate-illusions than a game against, or with, junk or jund style decks. However, I appear to be in the minority because large swathes of players seem to love these things.

I wonder if it has less to do with popularity than retention. If you get into MTG you probably like smashing face with creatures at first and if you start getting into other stuff it takes a little time. Creating a creature-oriented standard tells new players "there's more Magic to play. If you want to step your game up, you just need better dudes and some practice," which is more likely to turn new players into more heavily invested ones (financially and emotionally). Expecting the journey from new player to event player to move from "here's my angel deck, it's sweet" to "I like powerful countermagic and lots of card selection tools" happens less often.

(Is there any two-word phrase in all of Magic that signals new guy more than "angel deck?" Maybe "fire mana.")

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 13, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

(Is there any two-word phrase in all of Magic that signals new guy more than "angel deck?" Maybe "fire mana.")

It used to be Craw Wurm but I think Mill Deck is a strong contender.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want a vision of future Standard, imagine Junk, Jund, or Naya midrange stamping on an interesting deck forever.

put this on a playmat and i will buy it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gang sines posted:

put this on a playmat and i will buy it

On the subject of playmats, I want one of Duneblast.

The art is so nice. :allears:

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Having tuned in for the first time a short while ago, this as a newer player is making me pray that Abzan midrange doesn't immediately permeate into the local metagame, causing the next FNM to be about building walls of Caryatids, Siege Rhinos and Coursers.

Granted I'm not really a fan of Green or White right now for mostly flavour reasons, but if it's wrong to keep to Monoblack Aggro and Subsligh for FNM, then I don't want to be right.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I want the GP NJ one but I can't make it and I can't imagine I will be able to score it for cheap :( Neon green solid color mat for me!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Top deck Elspeth? Clap, pump those arms, win the top deck race.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That was actually a great Game 3 for an Abzan mirror. Go Lax.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Ramos posted:

Was this something you'd refer to as a Windmill Slam, or is that something else?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

That was actually a great Game 3 for an Abzan mirror. Go Lax.

Most interesting game of the three for sure.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Rinkles posted:

Sorin's price is gonna overtake Sarkhan's, isn't it?

As well it should, because he is a superior card by far. Sarkhan is super, super overhyped.

Also, my testing has showed that a three-color Mardu aggro deck with aggressive black one-drops, Skullhunters, Aspirants and Rabblemasters matches up really, really well against Abzan. It folds to more aggressive burn-heavy aggro like Jeskai or Mono-red, but Chief of the Edge will ruin any Abzan player's day. It lets Skullhunters, Bloodsoaked Champions, and Tormented Heros kill Caryatids and Aspirants and Rabblemasters kill Coursers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

It used to be Craw Wurm but I think Mill Deck is a strong contender.

I won't hear anything bad about Esper Mill in Modern, the last two times I've competed at my store with it I've walked away with over 20 packs of winnings :colbert: Also I accidentally brought it to a Legacy night and beat Manaless Dredge 2-0 with it, a feat that I am immensely proud of.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

And people in the chat are ragging on Ari for showing too much emotion and being unsportsmanlike. Come the gently caress on, let him enjoy his Topdeck Hero moment.

lol and LSV is down on it too, probably still sore from that Bonfire of the Damned.

e:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I won't hear anything bad about Esper Mill in Modern, the last two times I've competed at my store with it I've walked away with over 20 packs of winnings :colbert: Also I accidentally brought it to a Legacy night and beat Manaless Dredge 2-0 with it, a feat that I am immensely proud of.

I have a solid record with it. So solid people started playing an emrakul in their boards.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want a vision of future Standard, imagine Junk, Jund, or Naya midrange stamping on an interesting deck forever.

Reprint Jace

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The Wicked Wall posted:

Having tuned in for the first time a short while ago, this as a newer player is making me pray that Abzan midrange doesn't immediately permeate into the local metagame, causing the next FNM to be about building walls of Caryatids, Siege Rhinos and Coursers.

Granted I'm not really a fan of Green or White right now for mostly flavour reasons, but if it's wrong to keep to Monoblack Aggro and Subsligh for FNM, then I don't want to be right.

What is your avatar from?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In Non-Pro-Tour news, Tom Ross has been tweeting throughout the day from SCG States and it just culminated in "I'm Louisiana state champion!" His deck was "basically RabbleRed with Hordeling Outburst over Goblin Rabblemaster" which sounds super sweet to me considering my T4 in TCG States with Sligh.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Equilibrium posted:

Reprint Jace

At uncommon. :getin:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Wicked Wall posted:

Was this something you'd refer to as a Windmill Slam, or is that something else?

Windmill slams as far as I know are when you see a card in a pack you want in draft and just slam it on the table, no other consideration. This is just an awesome top deck.

edit: Three land draws in a row. :negative: Come on Jeskai, I'm counting on you.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 13, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

vOv posted:

What is your avatar from?

It's a character called Desty Nova from an old manga series called Battle Angel Alita (which is much better than its title suggests).

Also more on topic, that vampire token is currently the MvP for me.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I wonder if it has less to do with popularity than retention. If you get into MTG you probably like smashing face with creatures at first and if you start getting into other stuff it takes a little time. Creating a creature-oriented standard tells new players "there's more Magic to play. If you want to step your game up, you just need better dudes and some practice," which is more likely to turn new players into more heavily invested ones (financially and emotionally). Expecting the journey from new player to event player to move from "here's my angel deck, it's sweet" to "I like powerful countermagic and lots of card selection tools" happens less often.

I can't speak to two-word phrases, but one of my friends thought that green was the weenie color because he played elves, and red and white were big creatures because of dragons and angels. Yeah.

That being said, you're onto something with the trajectory of player tastes. I definitely got really big into white rush decks when I first began, and it's less that I got bored of playing aggro, it's just that I got tired of my aggro being controlled. Now I want to splash blue in everything for Cancels, bounce, and evasion. I turned into a tempo player without even realizing it and I imagine soon I'll be turning into the Jace I always thought I would never be.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Love that boardstate.

Edit: Oh it's a 'shop and I'm dumb... :negative:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Let's just casually use that third option on Jeskai Charm, and go to 43 life. Jeskai vs Abzan finals!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Pretty excited for this final. I don't really get the hate for Jeskai, I think its a lithe, interactive burn deck that places a ton of emphasis on making the right decisions. Abzan is a little clunkier of a deck, but it still had a ton of power.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hell yeah, Jeskai makes the finals!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Pretty excited for this final. I don't really get the hate for Jeskai, I think its a lithe, interactive burn deck that places a ton of emphasis on making the right decisions. Abzan is a little clunkier of a deck, but it still had a ton of power.

I somewhat get (and share) the disdain for Jeskai because it seemed so flavor-of-the-month going into the Pro Tour, but JunkAbzan has been pissing me off for much longer than "Jeskai" has, so I'm rooting for Jeskai here. (This despite actually liking the clan better in Khans.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have a solid record with it. So solid people started playing an emrakul in their boards.

Last time I took the deck out, I milled a GR Tron player's single Emrakul game 1 with <10 cards in his library. Exiled it with the shuffle trigger on the stack, then milled him out completely even after he'd gotten his whole graveyard back :shepface: I try not to take it every time I go out partially to keep things fresh, and partially because no one ever expects to see it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I can't speak to two-word phrases, but one of my friends thought that green was the weenie color because he played elves, and red and white were big creatures because of dragons and angels. Yeah.

That being said, you're onto something with the trajectory of player tastes. I definitely got really big into white rush decks when I first began, and it's less that I got bored of playing aggro, it's just that I got tired of my aggro being controlled. Now I want to splash blue in everything for Cancels, bounce, and evasion. I turned into a tempo player without even realizing it and I imagine soon I'll be turning into the Jace I always thought I would never be.

Possibly, my first (good) deck was onslaught goblins in either Odyssey/Onslaught or Onslaught/Mirrodin standard and I got knocked out of states top eight by an eternal dragon uw deck with Wrath and circle, and I was HOOKED on that idea. I never really jumped on the big creature bandwagon. They always were just boring cards with large numbers. I enjoyed building wide boards or answering my opponent. So like you, I liked white rush, at first, but the allure of card draw and counterspells is strong.

My order of deck piloting was 7th edition starter box (the one with the cd and a foil Thorn Elemental)> Inundation mono white premade deck> Goblins> Affinity (because your couldn't play anything else when Darksteel came out)> various forms of UW control. Delver introduced me to blue aggro-control decks (I didn't play during Lorwyn).

And thats really my wheelhouse, fast aggro, tempo, and control. I've never been much of a brewer, I like piloting decks, building them always felt like the chore I have to get through to play the game. Admittedly I LOVE sealed though and that's all midrange creatures smashing into each other and deck building....:shrug:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

C-Euro posted:

Last time I took the deck out, I milled a GR Tron player's single Emrakul game 1 with <10 cards in his library. Exiled it with the shuffle trigger on the stack, then milled him out completely after he'd gotten his whole graveyard back :shepface: I try not to take it every time I go out partially to keep things fresh, and partially because no one ever expects to see it.
Use a miser Elixer of Immortality to rebuy those spells man.

Also I hope that Abzan wins, gently caress yeah.
e: lol at all the autists bitching about the riffle shuffling that Ari's doing.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
So why do you mull a hand of Forest, Caves of Koilos, double Windswept Heaths, Courser of Kruphix, Utter End, and Abzan Charm? I don't understand the reasoning.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Myriad Truths posted:

So why do you mull a hand of Forest, Caves of Koilos, double Windswept Heaths, Courser of Kruphix, Utter End, and Abzan Charm? I don't understand the reasoning.

My guess would be that he REALLY wanted a Siege Rhino in his opening hand, and he figured he had a free mulligan with his opponent also milligan-ing and him being on the draw.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just got home after being away in an internet-less location all weekend. It looks like they haven't made any announcements re: the special May Grand Prix format/cities, am I right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Does he topdeck the burn? (nope)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

All commentators forgot that double Abzan Charm is the win.

Edit: I'm happy Lax won. He played all his games really well. Definitely a deserved title.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 13, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Shaun MacLaren just seeing how much he can make Ari Lax sweat there before offering the handshake.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Entropic posted:

Shaun MacLaren just seeing how much he can make Ari Lax sweat there before offering the handshake.

That was a pretty entertaining last two turns. McLaren's slow roll bordered on inhumane, and Lax just slamming over the double charms as soon as Shaun was hellbent was great. Lax counts out the damage, McLaren just says "okay."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I don't think Rich Hagon knows what "back to back" means.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Semi related PT talk, this set is crazy for value. Online at least. I've been playing for free all weekend, just opening Fetches, Digs and the occasional Planeswalker. It's a pretty amazing feeling knowing you've got your money back before the rounds even start, even better winning some packs from it and doing it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Boxman posted:

That was a pretty entertaining last two turns. McLaren's slow roll bordered on inhumane, and Lax just slamming over the double charms as soon as Shaun was hellbent was great. Lax counts out the damage, McLaren just says "okay."

He didn't know about the 2 Charms when he was tanking, so he didn't realize he was dead. Then he said he thought the Mana Confluence needed to be tapped to cast the Charm.

• Locked thread