Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JHVH-1 posted:

Yeah the driver support kinda sucks. There is one newer driver than what is in bootcamp from 12/16/2014 on the website. You have to select "MAC Graphics" (yes all in caps because maybe they think it is made by the cosmetic company)
I don't know how different the chip could be from other implementations, but I can't imagine it would be too involved to roll it in with everything else. Maybe there is some dumb contractual thing or they just have one guy that is the "MAC" driver guy.

oh no poo poo?!

So just go to their website (AMD) and look for MAC Graphics? Nice. How did I miss that... ":\

[edit]

Hey man, sorry to be a nuisance. I did the MAC GRAPHICS dropdown and it shows me 12/16/14 as the latest. Not seeing the later one.. Can you direct link URL or assist?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I've been using a MBP 4.1 with 10.10 for the last 6 months and its been great. Just curious if people here have seen these(3.1 and 4.1) still floating around being used or are people putting these in the garbage?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Feenix posted:

oh no poo poo?!

So just go to their website (AMD) and look for MAC Graphics? Nice. How did I miss that... ":\

[edit]

Hey man, sorry to be a nuisance. I did the MAC GRAPHICS dropdown and it shows me 12/16/14 as the latest. Not seeing the later one.. Can you direct link URL or assist?

Thats the one I meant. It is newer than the bundled boot camp one if you check the driver info in windows, but its still not the latest. Better than nothing though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JHVH-1 posted:

Thats the one I meant. It is newer than the bundled boot camp one, but its still not up to date. The bundled bootcamp one is from before the iMac was released back in October. Better than nothing I suppose.

Sorry, the wording sounded like you meant there was one newer than 12/16. Yeah, I have that one.

Oh well, thanks anyway. :)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Do the Catalyst beta drivers not work in boot camp? Those are the most recent drivers that were updated specifically for GTAV

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

1st AD posted:

Do the Catalyst beta drivers not work in boot camp? Those are the most recent drivers that were updated specifically for GTAV

Any time I try to legitimatelt/manually/or even brute-force install any driver that isn't the approved bootcamp one, I get an error message about how the driver could not find the hardware. So I assume not. Unless there's something else that needs to be done that I am overlooking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

So I've been using a MBP 4.1 with 10.10 for the last 6 months and its been great. Just curious if people here have seen these(3.1 and 4.1) still floating around being used or are people putting these in the garbage?

The graphics eventually fail on them, but you see them from time to time.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh, they're still around for sure. 2007 MBPs might be getting rarer due to the defective 8600m and its unavoidable death. I'm using my old 3.1 on 10.10 as a Netflix/VLC machine in the living room and it's handling everything just fine.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, elaborate on that a moment longer. Is that what I currently have?

I can't remember what year I bought this computer, but it was definitely around that time...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I had heard that some folks had success with removing / uninstalling their Bootcamp AMD drivers and THEN trying to install other non-recommended AMD drivers.

My question is this. Can I safely do that? Uninstall the bootcamp drivers? What happens? Does my mac (in bootcamp mode) just look all wonky until I successfully install my target drivers OR decide to reinstall the proper bootcamp-recommended ones?

Basically, can I still "operate" my Bootcamp windows after uninstalling the driver?

[ed] Doesn't matter. Tried it. Didn't work.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 27, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ignite Memories posted:

I can't remember what year I bought this computer, but it was definitely around that time...

Yep, your GPU is a ticking time bomb. Better give that MBP to me for safe disposal.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Ignite Memories posted:

If you click on "System Report", it should tell you which MBP it is specifically (second line under Hardware Overview, "Model Identifier") but yeah, that looks like the one. (Nearly?) all 8600Ms are hosed and will give up the ghost, usually sooner rather than later. If you've gone 7 years without a logic board replacement, you're incredibly lucky. Keep a frequent Time Machine/Crashplan schedule. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203254

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 27, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm gonna run my MBP 4.1 until it dies. If it's still running when my daughter turns 6(2020) it'll be hers.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

If you click on "System Report", it should tell you which MBP it is specifically (second line under Hardware Overview, "Model Identifier") but yeah, that looks like the one. (Nearly?) all 8600Ms are hosed and will give up the ghost, usually sooner rather than later. If you've gone 7 years without a logic board replacement, you're incredibly lucky. Keep a frequent Time Machine/Crashplan schedule. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203254

Model Identifier is in fact 3.1!

Wow, so I guess I should really be ordering this new computer like now, huh?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ignite Memories posted:

That's what they want you to think :tinfoil:

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Ignite Memories posted:

Model Identifier is in fact 3.1!

Yep, it's what I did a couple of weeks back. Had a logic board replacement 2-3 years ago, but got sick of feeling like I was working on a timebomb. Going from a 2007 MBP to a 2015 rMBP is an insane leap, by the way. Enjoy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How many gigahertz do I need? I'm looking comparing some new and refurb rMBPs and trying to decide what to upgrade.

I'm mostly going to be flash animating and compositing with it, so the speed is important, I'm just not sure how much more of a difference we're talking for $500 USD

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Ignite Memories posted:

How many gigahertz do I need? I'm looking comparing some new and refurb rMBPs and trying to decide what to upgrade.

I'm mostly going to be flash animating and compositing with it, so the speed is important, I'm just not sure how much more of a difference we're talking for $500 USD

I'll let someone else answer since I'm not sure how much of a difference 2.7ghz/2.9ghz will make on the new 13inch—I'm guessing not that much. And the new 15inch Broadwell models haven't been released yet.

One thing to keep in mind: you can't upgrade the RAM later since it's soldered. I played it safe and went with 16gb because I won't be upgrading for 3+ years (knock on wood). The price premium really sucks, but I'd rather do that than regret having "only" 8 gigs a few years down the road.

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ignite Memories posted:

Comparing clock speeds outside of architectures is meaningless. Just follow the mantra: Newer is always better.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

admiraldennis posted:

Trying to revive my old mid-2010 17" MBP by swapping the 500GB mechanical drive with a nice 250GB SSD (Samsung EVO 840 - only $89 right now at MicroCenter!) and Yosemite.

Started noticing weird behavior right away; the 10.10.3 update failed checksum. I downloaded some SMART tools and - welp - UDMA CRC Error Count is increasing :(

Raw value is about ~150 following OS install + update. Didn't seem like this issue was happening with the old drive... cable looks totally fine; tried reseating and blowing out dust but no difference.

Next up I'll try a different drive and then ordering and replacing the SATA cable. Here's hoping this isn't the chipset. My pipe dream is that this is somehow the drive and I can just exchange it...

:sigh:

~The Saga Continues~

• I put the new SSD into a different computer. Tested lots of writing. UDMA CRC Error Count (199) hasn't gone up at all in new machine.

• I put a random old HD in my MBP that reports SMART #199 and installed OS X and tested a bunch of writing. NO INCREASE. It's just at 0 raw value.

So either there's something weird and special between my MBP and the SSD, or...? IDK. Maybe the SMART reporting on the random old HD is wrong.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ignite Memories posted:

Generally the last yard of Intel processor performance is by far the most expensive without much of a return (say +100MHz turbo boost for $200, as I see on some of the current iMac options). So stick to just below the top of the line if you can, imo

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

admiraldennis posted:

~The Saga Continues~

• I put the new SSD into a different computer. Tested lots of writing. UDMA CRC Error Count (199) hasn't gone up at all in new machine.

• I put a random old HD in my MBP that reports SMART #199 and installed OS X and tested a bunch of writing. NO INCREASE. It's just at 0 raw value.

So either there's something weird and special between my MBP and the SSD, or...? IDK. Maybe the SMART reporting on the random old HD is wrong.

SMART can be kinda dumb sometimes.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
SMART either doesn't work or isn't reliable on SSD's. In my experience checksum mismatch issues are RAM related.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

JHVH-1 posted:

SMART can be kinda dumb sometimes.

1997 posted:

SMART either doesn't work or isn't reliable on SSD's. In my experience checksum mismatch issues are RAM related.

Good to know!

I'll try a memtest before ordering that replacement SATA cable...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Benchmarks of the 1.3 GHz CTO MacBook are reporting it's equivalent to a 2014 Air, which sounds ideal. That's gonna be awesome in a few years when the price drops.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

admiraldennis posted:

Good to know!

I'll try a memtest before ordering that replacement SATA cable...

YEP

I SHOULDA KNOWN

(I had actually run one of those userland memory test apps but it came back no problem - never use those, they are worthless).

Yay! Very happy to do easy RAM replacement instead of SATA mystery quest.

And just think, if this was a recent Mac I'd be completely SOL with my soldered-on RAM. Instead I get to spend just a little bit of cash for a fully functional (and now quite zippy w/ SSD) machine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

admiraldennis posted:

And just think, if this was a recent Mac I'd be completely SOL with my soldered-on RAM.

I guess you could replace the main board and save the chassis, LCD, battery and storage. Guh.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Nut Bunnies posted:

Benchmarks of the 1.3 GHz CTO MacBook are reporting it's equivalent to a 2014 Air, which sounds ideal. That's gonna be awesome in a few years when the price drops.

I bought a 1.3 MacBook from Adorama for like $250 off apple's price, that's good to hear. I was wondering if anyone else had played with the 1.3 yet and seen if the difference was worth it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Kind of wondering if I should pull the trigger on a 15" rMBP with the dual graphics. I already have a laptop, that I excitedly used back when it was new, for several months before the buzz wore off and ever since then, I've mostly used it for occasionally looking things up while watching TV, when I don't have my iPad in the room instead.

It's an ASUS U52F-BBL5, which has a Core i3 350M CPU, 4GB of memory, and originally had a 500GB HDD, which I swapped out for a somewhat used 128GB Samsung 830. Oh, and at some point a couple of years ago, I bought and installed a different Intel WiFi module in it, so it has 2.4GHz and 5GHz support, as well as BlueTooth 3.0.

When I installed the 830, I fresh installed Manjaro Linux, which serves me somewhat faithfully, but it kind of annoys me with its weekly kernel updates, and Firefox that takes upwards of 15 seconds to start from the freaking SSD.

I'm just wondering if it's even worth my trouble to get something newer, since I kind of know that I should expect a significant performance boost from the newer CPU and at the very least even the integrated graphics. But I just don't spend a whole lot of time computing on the go, and rarely go on extended trips any more.

Hell, I'd probably even be happy with the new Macbook if I got something new. At least if I got a Mac, I'd be able to do some actual coding from the laptop, since most of my coding is now Mac and Windows based. I do remember once fixing a Windows software bug while on vacation with the ASUS, back when I ran the original Windows 7 on it, and I didn't even fresh install or run PC Decrapifier on it. I even briefly used the face recognition login/unlocker bullshit, how dumb is that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dual graphics is basically for video editors, so if you don't do anything where the GPU would be a benefit to your work I'd go instead with something with integrated graphics and as much RAM and as big a SSD as you can afford.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have a USB hub they are really happy with? I swear every one I buy is super flakey and random devices only work if plugged into my Mac directly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm using the one I got with Rock Band on the Wii :whatup:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

smackfu posted:

Does anyone have a USB hub they are really happy with? I swear every one I buy is super flakey and random devices only work if plugged into my Mac directly.

At work we buy Belkin or Logitech powered hubs, but im using some random brand hub w/power supply that I liked due to form factor and it works great.

You definitely wont go wrong with Belkin or Logitech though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Get a powered hub and usually the flakiness goes away. I'm using this and it's great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSC8BR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1st AD posted:

Dual graphics is basically for video editors

Is that even true anymore? What does the GPU get used for? HW decode? That's only really relevant for mpeg4/h264 content right? Would do jack all for ProRes or DNxHD.

Unless you actually mean motion graphics design work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

This guy right here:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-power-adapter/dp/B00E6GX4BG

Amazon Basics 10-port, powered, USB 3.0 hub. $39.

I have one at home and one at work. Have not had one issue with them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

1st AD posted:

Get a powered hub and usually the flakiness goes away. I'm using this and it's great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSC8BR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah, I have one with that form factor, but it never sits upright properly. The cables always pull it over.

Might try that Amazon Basics one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Is that even true anymore? What does the GPU get used for? HW decode? That's only really relevant for mpeg4/h264 content right? Would do jack all for ProRes or DNxHD.

Unless you actually mean motion graphics design work.

DaVinci Resolve heavily leverages the GPU for preview and export, FCPX and Premiere use it for GPU accelerated effects. All of the above use the GPU to debayer Red raw files.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Wirecutter did a feature on USB hubs; they seem to do a lot of reviews of underappreciated tech that isn't sexy enough for most sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1st AD posted:

DaVinci Resolve heavily leverages the GPU for preview and export, FCPX and Premiere use it for GPU accelerated effects. All of the above use the GPU to debayer Red raw files.

I guess I'm just anal about semantics. Would be interesting to see the real world pref difference on raw debayer although less and less people I know are working with red footage.

And for semantics I guess I don't consider color work or effects work 'editing' in the scope of big corporate Hollywood which I deal with every day.