Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
A current Ducks player? No loving way. Verviticus is making this poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

With our 7th round pick, the Florida Panthers are proud to select, out of Anchorage, Alaska Matt Carle.

With Carle and Campbell in the fold, the Panthers will have two excellent pucking moving defensemen in our top four. We're very pleased to bring him to Sunrise.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There were a handful of d-men I liked here, and two or three or wingers, but Carle is a pretty consistent 30-40 point puck mover, and I think a guy capable of anchoring my second pair (I wouldn't play him with Campbell save perhaps on the PP - although they're both left handed shots).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
7 picks until mine i cant believe im this close to getting this guy

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

T-Bone posted:

There were a handful of d-men I liked here, and two or three or wingers, but Carle is a pretty consistent 30-40 point puck mover, and I think a guy capable of anchoring my second pair (I wouldn't play him with Campbell save perhaps on the PP - although they're both left handed shots).

worked for campbell/garrison

edit: different synergy there with pass/shoot rather than pass pass

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think right now I'd run my four forwards with Campbell out there on my first line PP. That being said there are still some high octane forwards/d-men out there that might fall to me.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

I think I know who you want and almost took him with my last pick but wasn't sure if one of the goalies on my shortlist would be left. Wherever he goes now is good value.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
talent deficit and the yotes up

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Phoenix Coyotes, you're up!

efb

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Verviticus posted:

I always get nervous for people who say this, like everyone else will scour for the guy instead of just blindly taking the highest guy on the scoring list or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mozza posted:

I always get nervous for people who say this, like everyone else will scour for the guy instead of just blindly taking the highest guy on the scoring list or something.

I thought we were just supposed to take the highest guy in the scoring list.

Anyway Carle was on my shortlist and would have caused a tough decision if he was still available. I'm going with a forward now. 2 guys I want, I'm sure one of them will get to me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's amazing that even with 40m spent on 7 players in 13-14 I'm still having an easy time getting under the cap in Capgeek while still selecting the guys I want.

70m is a huge number.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

70m is a huge number when barely half of the teams in the league spend to the cap, sure. But if a league like this ever happened and every team was able to spend to 70m, the free agent market would go batshit insane.

I was sort of thinking of leaving wiggle room in case the cap drops in our hypothetical league anyways, although now it looks like I just won't be able to hit the cap regardless.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 26, 2013

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

decent goal scoring, excellent faceoffs and guaranteed to piss off literally everyone

that's right, steve ott

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really really wanted to take Otter because he owns owns owns but I couldn't pass up Carle. Good pick.

e: oh yea

-Seguin-Hossa
Vanek-RNH-

Campbell-
Carle-

Miller

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

...did he just pick his fourth center?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
With my 7th round pick I select Jonas Brodin

Position: D

Jonas Brodin is awesome. I had to resist making comments earlier when people were lamenting how few good young defensemen were left. I assume many of you don't watch the Wild. At age 19 Jonas Brodin is playing 23 minutes a night on average. He is absolutely integral to the Wild's defense. With the Wild fighting for a playoff spot, Brodin logged 29 minutes against the LA Kings on Tuesday. Although he does play with Ryan Suter, he is not a product of Suter's success. Brodin played top pairing minutes in the Swedish Elite League as an 18 year old, and also played for the Swedish team in the World Championships. He doesn't have a fantastic offensive skill set, but he can contribute. Where Brodin really excels is defensively, he's very mobile, has excellent positioning and stick skills, and is a great skater. There are some who even think he should be in the discussion for the Calder this year. For a first pairing, or at the very least second pairing defenseman he has a great contract, and assuming I re-sign him at some point he and OEL will be the defensemen of the future for the Nashville Predators.

Fake edit: I know we're not counting anything from this season but that's really all I have to base picking him off of.

Nashville Predators so far:
1. Nicklas Backstrom (C)
2. Oliver Ekman-Larsson (D)
3. Marian Gaborik (RW)
4. James van Riemsdyk (LW)
5. Travis Zajac (C)
6. Dennis Seidenberg (D)
7. Jonas Brodin (D)

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 26, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

and there he goes :sigh:

he shouldnt be in the discussion, he should win it

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that's another great pick I've completely missed. Good move.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

T-Bone posted:

I really really wanted to take Otter because he owns owns owns but I couldn't pass up Carle. Good pick.

i wanted to take carle but had to settle for ott

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was thinking of taking Brodin as my #3. I don't watch Minnesota enough to know how much he relies on Suter, but his numbers are fantastic.

e: You have two of those guys who play with big minute all-stars. Brodin with Suter and Seidenberg with Chara. It would be interesting to see how they do apart from those dudes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SON OF A BITCH. I wanted Brodin so bad, it was getting so close too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I was thinking of taking Brodin as my #3. I don't watch Minnesota enough to know how much he relies on Suter, but his numbers are fantastic.

Suter is very good but Brodin would be just as successful, maybe slightly less, without him.

Also, Seidenberg does not play with Chara. Ever. Maybe on the PK sometimes but that's about it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

T-Bone posted:

e: You have two of those guys who play with big minute all-stars. Brodin with Suter and Seidenberg with Chara. It would be interesting to see how they do apart from those dudes.
OEL can pretty much be considered an All-Star by this point so Seidenberg will most likely play with him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh really? I thought they were paired together pretty frequently last year. Is that not the case this season?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Nice pick with Brodin

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

well gently caress now ive got nothing

i think ive lost like 3-4 guys picked in the last 5-6 spots before me. i loving hate snake drafts

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Jordan7hm/Chicago, you're up!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

Oh really? I thought they were paired together pretty frequently last year. Is that not the case this season?

They do play together sometimes but there were a few factors that prompted them getting split up.
1. Seidenberg being relied on to shut down the Sedins during the 2010-2011 SCF. Since Vancouver had last change the Bruins needed someone who could step up big and Seidenberg did. Sure the Bruins lost 3/4 games in Vancouver but the Sedins were largely a non-factor. It really prompted Julien to split them up knowing he could have two solid shut-down pairs. Chara and Seidenberg usually drag whoever their partner is along with them to success, unless it's...
2. Dougie Hamilton. Since Hamilton made the team he plays with either Chara or Seidenberg. Two very good defensemen to be paired with as a rookie. I feel like I've created the same situation for Brodin in Nashville with OEL and Seidenberg.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I like your team quite a bit, especially if you can give Zajac some speed on his wing. He really thrives as that second forward playing off someone who can stir the poo poo.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah OEL/Seidenberg/Brodin is a pretty loving slick D-corp and it's not like your offensive corp is bad either. Get a decent enough goaltender next pick and you'll probably have the best team so far.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rutkowski posted:

Yeah OEL/Seidenberg/Brodin is a pretty loving slick D-corp and it's not like your offensive corp is bad either. Get a decent enough goaltender next pick and you'll probably have the best team so far.

He definitely has a good team, but I think there's some Swedish bias coming through here.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Paulocaust posted:

He definitely has a good team, but I think there's some Swedish bias coming through here.

Definitely a little biased on Rut's part but Backstrom/OEL are undeniably good and Brodin is a sick, sick, defenseman (who happens to be Swedish).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chicago takes Vladimir Tarasenko.

He has cooled off lately but he has real top line upside as soon as next year. Put up ppg in a man's league as a 21 year old and has stupid raw ability. Is being sheltered a bit, but not as much as some guys, and has very good possession numbers.

He'll be on the second or third line and play top unit PP minutes.

E:

PA Parenteau - Spezza - -
- - Krejci - Tarasenko

Bogosian - -
- - Schultz

Rask

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 27, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canuckanese posted:

Definitely a little biased on Rut's part but Backstrom/OEL are undeniably good and Brodin is a sick, sick, defenseman (who happens to be Swedish).

Yeah I'd put you top 10, right on the cusp of top 5 prob. Your goalie's gonna be a big pick though.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Ugh my list is die die dying today. Thumbs up all around to you pickers and thumbs up to TV's greatest show: Canadian Pickers.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Paulocaust posted:

FYI, I'm actually probably underrating both Brodin(because I simply don't know much about him) and Bäckström(because I just plain don't like him). I seriously barely follow Swedish hockey media at all because it's poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm at work, so I'm gonna try to make this one brief.

With the 205th pick of this draft, the Detroit Red Wings select G - Jonathan Bernier. Stuck in the unenviable position of being the backup to the best active American goaltender in the league, it's pretty easy to forget that Bernier is a pretty good goaltender himself. In this season, he's only started 14 games, but he's been pretty drat good for that small sample size, currently rocking a sub-2.00 GAA a .922 SV%. He's still very young for a goaltender at 24 and is currently on the last year of his second contract with a very reasonable 1.250 hit. The Red Wings believe he can mature into a very strong #1 goaltender, better than he is already

This is probably my biggest reach so far, but, I was reasonably sure that one of Holtby, Reimer or Niemi would make it back to me during the last round when I went for Bieksa and I was wrong as poo poo about that, so, I don't wanna get burned again. For all the talk about how goalies are a dime a dozen in this thread, I don't wanna be stuck three rounds from now with Dan Ellis and Jason Laberbera or some poo poo.

Brown-E.Staal-Kovalchuk
- - -

Green-Josi
Bieksa -
- -

Bernier
-

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well so much for Bernier being available my next pick. I think he's ready to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

mennoknight/Calgary Flames, you're up!

• Locked thread