Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DOOP posted:

MIGF parachute account spotted
Or just another lazy troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SedanChair posted:

If you haven't been motivated to protest, please look. If it doesn't take that to motivate you, I'm glad.
I was long before this.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do people who oppose "college debt relief, but only for incoming students" under the premise of "but what about the debt I incurred when it was MY TIME at college?" have just not read the Bible?

Like, this is Do Unto Others 101.

No. There are ongoing harmful economic effects of the amount of student loan debt taken on by people who went to college between the mid-90s and now - people aren't buying houses, having kids, all kinds of things. It's a serious problem, and it's going to get worse. Relief would help everybody. Picture relief as quantitative easing that actually helps.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do people who oppose "college debt relief, but only for incoming students" under the premise of "but what about the debt I incurred when it was MY TIME at college?" have just not read the Bible?

People who want debt relief for only incoming students are dumb as gently caress. By definition, relief for incoming students only does nothing to solve the student debt crisis, which is a crisis because so many former students have so much loving debt!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

a foolish pianist posted:

No. There are ongoing harmful economic effects of the amount of student loan debt taken on by people who went to college between the mid-90s and now - people aren't buying houses, having kids, all kinds of things. It's a serious problem, and it's going to get worse. Relief would help everybody. Picture relief as quantitative easing that actually helps.

That's only half of the problem you're describing. Wage stagnation gets credit too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

I'd like to encourage more people to post videos like that.

Here's an old one that's less legally defensible but more satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbq_WFc5Nno

I want to buy that dude a drink, what a hero. Blasting racists with a hose is quite the turn-around.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

To be fair most people just equate rape=no consent/violence

If you go by that definition than yeah poster "DICKY MOUSE" is correct lying about using protection isnt rape.

Would you say that a woman lying about being on the pill equals rape?

Or someone misrepresenting themselves to get sex, Like pretending to be something/someone they arent? e.g. a music producer, wealthy, single etc

or like what happened in revenge of nerds when that nerd posed as her boyfriend?

Lets say Gretchen Carlson did gently caress her boss to keep her job. Would that have been rape?

Dicky I understand how you might differentiate between coercion and rape. But rape isnt just a dude in a ski mask hiding in the bushes waiting to assault someone. Whether it be by force, threat of violence, or job security. Its wrong pressure people to do stuff they dont want to do.

Condom use is a little more cut and dry, seeing as it was a literal term of her consent and exposed her to known medical risks without her consent.

Arguing that tricking people into having unprotected sex with you is somehow lessened by the fact they consented to protected sex with you is wrong.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

People who want debt relief for only incoming students are dumb as gently caress. By definition, relief for incoming students only does nothing to solve the student debt crisis, which is a crisis because so many former students have so much loving debt!

The dumber thing is branding student loans as a crisis to begin with.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/student-aid/figures-tables/federal-student-loan-default-rates-sector-over-time

4 year Public/Prive non-profit default rates are pretty flat over 20 years.

The biggest issue is For Profit colleges being a scam.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

gradenko_2000 posted:

A penny for a day's work, eh? Sounds.... republican.

(No but serious, good relevant quote0

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anyone feel like people have an obligation or social responsibility to watch the video of the guy being murdered? A friend who is a well respected drama professor just posted a long rant as such on Facebook, and, well, it's really made me angry. I've seen a person killed right in front of me. It is super hosed up. And I think it's super hosed up to tell people they have a moral obligation to see it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
debt relief would be nice but it's more difficult for the government to take on private loans individuals have made versus make higher education cheaper for new students. sorry you took out piles of loans, we don't need to make your situation better before we make the next generation's situation better

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

greatn posted:

Does anyone feel like people have an obligation or social responsibility to watch the video of the guy being murdered? A friend who is a well respected drama professor just posted a long rant as such on Facebook, and, well, it's really made me angry. I've seen a person killed right in front of me. It is super hosed up. And I think it's super hosed up to tell people they have a moral obligation to see it.

I was just yelled at up thread for this, so yea there are.

Edit: and they have a point. If someone still doesn't get it they should be made to watch everyone of the videos like Tamir rice, Eric garner, Walter Scott, and Alton Sterling.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 7, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

greatn posted:

In a perfect world, yeah it'd be pretty hosed up.

In a world where sheltered white people believe in the purity and perfection of the police and that this stuff never happens or is the black person's fault, nah, I don't think that's an unreasonable demand. If you watch the video and see the pictures and still claim nothing bad happened, you are a racist gently caress.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

yeah i've been around the internet a few times, i've seen snuff vids, no thanks

please watch this video of chinese factory workers being electrocuted and burned alive to demonstrate your solidarity with industrial safety in the developing world, thanks and god bless

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

No 2016 is a gimme year and the party needs to jettison the progressive wing while they can. This way they can become the socially liberal economically Conservative party of middle America. They will gain more power. Better still if they can sweep in and pick up disillusioned business republicans.

Trump is such a dumpster fire that Hillary can get disillusioned Republicans regardless (women), or get them to vote Libertarian (men). So now she's free to advocate for anything that will expand democratic turnout, and to think about the long-term.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I was just yelled at up thread for this, so yea there are.

I just don't think there's a point to complaining about seeing it. I'm much more concerned about not seeing it because it's being hidden.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sounds like PPACA. Sure, let's prop up a profiteering privatized system with increased subsidies, instead of properly funding public institutions.

Give state schools enough money to expand and be tuition-free, let the private schools and lenders do what they want. Cut out student loans at the knees.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

debt relief would be nice but it's more difficult for the government to take on private loans individuals have made versus make higher education cheaper for new students. sorry you took out piles of loans, we don't need to make your situation better before we make the next generation's situation better

And besides if the argument is that "students shouldn't be getting debt relief because they knew they were getting into", then that door swings both ways, because when you took on your debt, you had to have known that there was no promise of that debt ever getting forgiven regardless of whatever else might happen in the future.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Bushiz posted:

A bunch of government agencies have axes to grind but also he raped someone.

He allegedly raped someone. Innocent until proven guilty.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Federal loan programs are some of the most common loan strategies for students, and that'd be easier to wrangle than private student loans. Also, I think literally no one is arguing that we need to take care of the loan crisis before we do something about tuition. It's not an either/or situation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Federal loan programs are some of the most common loan strategies for students, and that'd be easier to wrangle than private student loans.

federal loans are pretty generous though in terms of interest and repayment. private loans tend to be the ones wrecking people because they're riskier

Also, I think literally no one is arguing that we need to take care of the loan crisis before we do something about tuition. It's not an either/or situation.

quote:

So apparently Hillary has added debt-free college to her platform. Guess this is her continuing to appeal to the Bernie crowd. My question though, what about all of us who had tens of thousands in student loan debt and actually, ya know, paid it off? College tuiton needs to change in this country but drat if this isn't a pretty hosed up situation for those who still have the huge debt burdens or wasted years of income paying them off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

And besides if the argument is that "students shouldn't be getting debt relief because they knew they were getting into", then that door swings both ways, because when you took on your debt, you had to have known that there was no promise of that debt ever getting forgiven regardless of whatever else might happen in the future.

Not to mention a lot of these people are 18 and sometimes only 17 so in one case you have people who are barely adults in a legal sense and in the latter case you have actual minors somehow being able to be saddled with inescapable debt even though minors usually can't enter in to legal contracts, let alone ones as absurd as student loans.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you know what moral hazard is?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not to mention a lot of these people are 18 and sometimes only 17 so in one case you have people who are barely adults in a legal sense and in the latter case you have actual minors somehow being able to be saddled with inescapable debt even though minors usually can't enter in to legal contracts, let alone ones as absurd as student loans.

If they aren't mature enough to make Big Decisions then they shouldn't be able to vote. Or join the military. Or Smoke. You're creating a class of citizen which has all the rights of a normal citizen, but fewer responsibilities.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Then I remind myself that most people don't really feel a connection without an image, like the drowned toddler refugee. I am left to conclude that one is almost ethically bound to rickroll others with images of slain black men.

This is true but I can't whip those pictures out at work.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 7, 2016

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Xae posted:

A consistent bullshit reason to feel good about wrecking the economy?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A consistent bullshit reason to feel good about wrecking the economy?

Glad to see D&D warming up to TARP

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad to see D&D warming up to TARP

The only moral bailout is my bailout.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I worry about this too and always make sure to inform people about the latest police brutality/race killing in my sphere of influence.

Then I remind myself that most people don't really feel a connection without an image, like the drowned toddler refugee. I am left to conclude that one is almost ethically bound to rickroll others with images of slain black men.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xae posted:

If they aren't mature enough to make Big Decisions then they shouldn't be able to vote. Or join the military. Or Smoke. You're creating a class of citizen which has all the rights of a normal citizen, but fewer responsibilities.

Yes, they're called minors. 17 year olds are a part of that group.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, they're called minors. 17 year olds are a part of that group.

Minors don't have all the rights.

Also your parent has to sign on your student loans when you are under 18.

Try again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

Yes, which is why I'm saying that that reasoning doesn't fly.

You can't put the blame on students for taking on all those loans as a reason for why their debt shouldn't be forgiven "because they should have been aware of the potential consequences", because you yourself "should have been aware of the potential consequences" when you took it on yourself without a promise that they'd be forgiven (when others' would be).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, which is why I'm saying that that reasoning doesn't fly.

You can't put the blame on students for taking on all those loans as a reason for why their debt shouldn't be forgiven "because they should have been aware of the potential consequences", because you yourself "should have been aware of the potential consequences" when you took it on yourself without a promise that they'd be forgiven (when others' would be).

The part you're missing is where it isn't just about the people who get their debt forgiven.

You are also impacting the decision making of those who will later take out loans. You are also, in effect, punishing the people who did pay back their loans.

So you have created a scenario which can cause people in the future to view paying their loans as riskier than defaulting.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

The part you're missing is where it isn't just about the people who get their debt forgiven.

You are also impacting the decision making of those who will later take out loans. You are also, in effect, punishing the people who did pay back their loans.

So you have created a scenario which can cause people in the future to view paying their loans as riskier than defaulting.

if we raise the minimum wage we're retroactively punishing people who worked for the previously lower minimum wage in terms of lost wages

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Condom use is a little more cut and dry, seeing as it was a literal term of her consent and exposed her to known medical risks without her consent.

Arguing that tricking people into having unprotected sex with you is somehow lessened by the fact they consented to protected sex with you is wrong.

*sigh* to be honest I rather burnt out on the topic of consent. I just wanted to let Dicky know that people are using the word rape to mean something other than (what I assume his definition is) after all you dont really hear rape stories in the news about "he said he put the rubber on etc"

The whole idea of what is consent and how it can be given with conditions or withdrawn blah blah, you got feminist saying we need to teach active consent vs passive consent, then theres the loser MRA's going their own way with their mother loving hysteria that every woman is a lair who is just waiting to file fake charges. It all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As for Mr. Assange he and his victim need to have their day in court and if the courts were serious about this, They just need to guarantee he wont be extradited to the United States. However they seem unwilling to give this guarantee so he will like in a office for who knows how many years.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man does anyone else think that police should just stop shooting black people all the time?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress would their criminal justice system have any authority over who will and won't be expedited.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reason posted:

man does anyone else think that police should just stop shooting black people all the time?

Nonsense, this is an election year

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

As for Mr. Assange he and his victim need to have their day in court and if the courts were serious about this, They just need to guarantee he wont be extradited to the United States. However they seem unwilling to give this guarantee so he will like in a office for who knows how many years.

Should the US prosecutors promised Bundy to never turn him over to the UN if he demanded? They are both as backed in evidence.

Assange isn't even currently facing charges so are you actually expecting them to promise him a literal "get out of jail free for any and all crimes committed in the US no matter what" card?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reason posted:

Sorry, just checked a map and apparently this is America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

I have no idea if it actually happens. I know the frog boiling thing isn't true.

Anyone have a bunch of crabs and a grill?

It's called America, son.

• Locked thread