Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The reason I don't like Twin Snakes as much myself is because it's much more difficult to control than the PSX installment. It uses the camera and AI from MGS2 but the level design is not altered to take this into account at all. It creates a weird balance where like the tank hangar at the beginning is probably the most difficult part of the game. But then stuff that could have been made more interesting due to the new controls/options is made trivially simple like some of the boss fights. The PSX version's camera is incredible (for the time) by comparison when taking cover and sneaking around.

I found the layout of the Gamecube controller to be the biggest problem. Not with the controller itself, since I owned a Gamecube for years before I got a PlayStation, but after playing the Metal Gear Solid series on them, it just felt wrong on the Gamecube.

Of the four face buttons, three of them are mapped to a different location on the Gamecube. The only one that's the same is the context-sensitive button at the top, Y or Triangle. This meant that I was always shooting, punching, and crouching without meaning to.

The Gamecube is also missing a left shoulder button, which MGS2 used to move around while aiming in third person, and to lock on while aiming in first person. This is almost required to get dog tags, but thankfully there's no reward for them in The Twin Snakes. You also couldn't lower your weapon the same way since it lacks pressure sensitive buttons, so you'd need to unequip your gun to do so. If an enemy you've held up sees that you've done this, then they'll go into an alert.

I'm going to try it in Dolphin with a Dualshock 4 to see if it's more fun with the controls I'm used to. I can even map Pause and Codec to separate buttons, since Dolphin supports button macros, and on the Gamecube you had to press Start+A or Start+B since there's no select button.

Neo Rasa posted:

MGS1's graphics are primitive by today's standards but both MGS1 and Silent Hill 1 made very effective use of what they had and went for a really grungy look in general, so they hold up very nicely atmospherically (both having incredible music and sound effects is a big part of that of course).

Yeah, both of those games had excellent sound design and lighting. The echo of the gun shots in Metal Gear Solid and the air raid siren in Silent Hill do an amazing job of creating atmosphere.

Neo Rasa posted:

Which brings me to Twin Snake's music, it's great. I think I mentioned earlier but I'm kind of impressed with how every Metal Gear game ever has great music despite the very convoluted development their soundtracks go through. Like Snake's Revenge on the NES was done by one of Konami's lesser known people but it ended up being one of the better NES soundtracks. Twin Snake's had a huge mix of stuff from various Konami in-house composers, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Silicon Knights' in house guy Steve Henefin. It's great. EVERY AREA has five unique music tracks (for normal, caution, evasion, intruder and alert), it's a pretty impressive spread of stuff, many of which are subtle remixes of various songs from the franchise. Though I do miss the removal of classic alert track from MGS1, easily one of the best video game songs ever.

The Tanker chapter from MGS2 had some great remixes from the first game, especially the boss fight with Olga. If you have The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2, you can even mess about with the audio tracks for each area, and see how well they transition between each alert state.

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean it's Metal Gear Solid, it's still totally awesome, but I played them both recently and still preferred the PSX game.

In spite of my problems with it, I'm glad the game exists. It's just a crazy alternative version of MGS, but not the definitive version.

It's cool that they put in the NES version of Metal Gear, but since MGS3 Subsistence has the MSX games in English, it's not really worth playing. They also didn't have time to include the VR missions, but they left a VR target hidden in REX's hanger bay as an easter egg. Also, MGS2 Substance has more than enough VR missions anyway.

Neo Rasa posted:

Listen carefully for the hobo shouting gently caress you as Psycho Mantis dies. :aaaaa:

I totally need to listen to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Speedball posted:

They've been keeping a lid on what the bosses are going to be like this time around…which means, I think, Kojima might be gearing up to pull the rug out from under us in some way. I sure hope so!

Isn't it likely to be those who 'Don't Exist' (ie ghostly firey people represented by ghostly firey animals)?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Listen carefully for the hobo shouting gently caress you as Psycho Mantis dies. :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo, really? Is there a clip that enhances that bit in some way? I'm going to have to watch that cutscene again man.

Ausmund posted:

He's joking.

Hey man, you never know :v:

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2014

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He's joking.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Isn't it likely to be those who 'Don't Exist' (ie ghostly firey people represented by ghostly firey animals)?

Organization XIII?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spalec posted:

Yeah, the flippy missile backflips aren't the problem, it's the fact Snake does them which has never been seen otherwise. If Grey Fox appeared and did the missile backflip bit it'd be fine.

Snake slow-motion flips out of the way of a tank shot even in the original MGS.

Twin Snakes is obviously over the top but Snake does a lot of hilarious poo poo in cutscenes and out of cutscenes in MGS1. It is the game where the ideal solution to fighting a ni-invincible katana-wielding cyborg ninja is to fist-fight him like out of a Japanese Animes.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's funny you mention this because in the remake that's the one time Snake fucks up and gets slammed against the wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojmTo1H2gg

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think the best way to rationalize Twin Snakes being so over the top is that MGS1 is the story as Snake would tell it (i.e., how it really happened) and Twin Snakes is Otacon's retelling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the best way to rationalize Twin Snakes being so over the top is that MGS1 is the story as Snake would tell it (i.e., how it really happened) and Twin Snakes is Otacon's retelling.

That would explain so much about MGS4. Revengeance is also Raiden's own fanfic about himself.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

That loving Sned posted:

The Gamecube is also missing a left shoulder button, which MGS2 used to move around while aiming in third person, and to lock on while aiming in first person. This is almost required to get dog tags, but thankfully there's no reward for them in The Twin Snakes. You also couldn't lower your weapon the same way since it lacks pressure sensitive buttons, so you'd need to unequip your gun to do so. If an enemy you've held up sees that you've done this, then they'll go into an alert.

Actually you can lower your weapon without firing in Twin Snakes, you just have to go through some finger puzzles to do so. I forget exactly what buttons it involved, but I want to say you can do it by holding Y while you were still holding A, then letting go of A without letting go of Y, and then letting go of Y. Unless you wrap your index finger onto the controller to hold the Y button it's a bit tricky to do without your thumb accidentally slipping off of A for a split second as you move it up to reach Y. You might also be able to run around while aiming your gun if you're holding both A and Y at the same time, but that part I'm not sure of.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2014

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Steve2911 posted:

That would explain so much about MGS4. Revengeance is also Raiden's own fanfic about himself.

And these Mexican dudes were like "what the gently caress" because I was totally wearing a sombrero. Bro, seriously, it was the best vacation ever.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
All this talk about how Twin Snakes is a exaggerated retelling makes me want a MGS with narration like in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger where multiple people are trying to retell one of snake's past missions and every one of them exaggerates or calls bullshit on what really happened.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mushball posted:

All this talk about how Twin Snakes is a exaggerated retelling makes me want a MGS with narration like in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger where multiple people are trying to retell one of snake's past missions and every one of them exaggerates or calls bullshit on what really happened.

"An army of bees? You've got to be loving kidding, there were like 3. And what is this poo poo about a river full of ghosts? I was there, you were just stumbling around in the water for 10 minutes because you got mud in your eyes."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"The world's only as real as your brain tell you it is. Most of what they call 'real' is actually fiction."

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

The original is the one that makes more sense as a re-telling. Since nobody is gonna believe the poo poo that really went down so we are gonna change it for the tell-all book discussed in MGS2. It also works when you consider weirder poo poo happening in MGS2 and 3, Peacewalker and 4 than anything in Twin Snakes.

In MGS3, all of the Cobra Unit fought in WWII and carried their emotion into battle, which made about as much sense as anything else in Metal Gear, except that the Fury describes going insane with rage after being launched into space well after World War2. Is there any information in a book or the MGS4 database that tells us anything happened before the incident in orbit or is he just pissed off all the time?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 24, 2014

Mushball
May 23, 2012
The Fury was probably unhinged during world war 2 due his role as a flamethrower operator as those guys tended to be riddled with trauma as a result of their extremely dangerous role. Going to space just made it worse as it set his insanity into a always on overdrive state.

Mushball fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 24, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Speaking of The Fury I watched The Running Man for the first time last night and uh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201_u711Fzc&t=4317s

I knew Kojima liked the movie what with Running Man in MG2 and all, but I wasn't expecting to find literally The Fury.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Spalec posted:

or how Otacon gushes about it on the MyJapaneseAnimes.com forums.

I really wanted this to be a real website.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheMostFrench posted:

I really wanted this to be a real website.

You're looking for myanimelist.net.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MarsDragon posted:

Speaking of The Fury I watched The Running Man for the first time last night and uh

I knew Kojima liked the movie what with Running Man in MG2 and all, but I wasn't expecting to find literally The Fury.

Before the re-release of MG2 on Subsistence it wasn't just Running Man, the ambush expert with the machine gun was called Predator and the guy with the stealth camouflage was Night Fright (like Fright Night). They also changed some of the character portraits from the original since, uh...

They're missing Holly White from there. Frustratingly I actually recognize her face but not the name of whatever eighties movie they grabbed it from or the name of the actress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

Before the re-release of MG2 on Subsistence it wasn't just Running Man, the ambush expert with the machine gun was called Predator and the guy with the stealth camouflage was Night Fright (like Fright Night). They also changed some of the character portraits from the original since, uh...

They're missing Holly White from there. Frustratingly I actually recognize her face but not the name of whatever eighties movie they grabbed it from or the name of the actress.

And

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't have a picture ready because I'm on my phone, but we can't forget how Ocelot is basically Lee van Cleef. Old Snake was patterned after van Cleef as well, funnily enough. :v:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Is there any game or piece of media that covers Big Boss' and Zero's falling out? PO shows them getting back together and they've long since parted way by Peace Walker. Given that that conflict seems to be the focus of MGSV, I figured they'd probably flesh it out somewhere.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't have a picture ready because I'm on my phone, but we can't forget how Ocelot is basically Lee van Cleef. Old Snake was patterned after van Cleef as well, funnily enough. :v:

Lee van clleef starring opposite kurt 'snake plissken' russel in escape from new york. Although ocelot is clealry modeled off of the spaghetti western cleef, its still kinda neat.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I'm thinking about picking up the MGS HD Collection for 360, but I wanted to ask a couple questions about the controls for MGS 2+3 first since I know they changed them up due to the 360 pad not having pressure sensitive stuff.

When you're aiming a gun, does it stay ready after every shot until you put it away or do you have to click the stick in for each shot?

How does throwing items work, since iirc they went further according to the pressure put on the button.

When you grab a dude in the PS2 version you had to apply light pressure to the CQC button or you'd slit the guy's neck. How does this work on the 360?

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head, are there any other weird 360 pad differences that I would have to look out for? Are there any pad problems with PW? It seemed like it had a more modern-shooter control scheme but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
George Kasler might've been based on Dolph Lundgren but he always looks more like an angry James Woods to me.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Vanrushal posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the MGS HD Collection for 360, but I wanted to ask a couple questions about the controls for MGS 2+3 first since I know they changed them up due to the 360 pad not having pressure sensitive stuff.

When you're aiming a gun, does it stay ready after every shot until you put it away or do you have to click the stick in for each shot?

How does throwing items work, since iirc they went further according to the pressure put on the button.

When you grab a dude in the PS2 version you had to apply light pressure to the CQC button or you'd slit the guy's neck. How does this work on the 360?

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head, are there any other weird 360 pad differences that I would have to look out for? Are there any pad problems with PW? It seemed like it had a more modern-shooter control scheme but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

1. Any time you hit or hold X Snake raises his gun. If you click the stick while holding X Snake will lower his gun, but you never have to click the stick to raise or lower your weapon unless you're specifically trying to not shoot after drawing your weapon, or want to raise it without the risk of accidentally shooting.

2. Throwing stuff is entirely based on how long you hold the button, so you can't really cook grenades anymore, making a couple of MGS2's VR Missions a pain.

3. You hold people by holding B, and then press Y to slit their throats like in MGS4. This is probably the best change to the control scheme on 360, you'll never accidentally slit a guard's throat again.

4. Peace Walker controls really well on 360, I prefer it to playing on PS3. Aim and shoot are mapped to the triggers, and pushing the stick far enough to walk but not enough to run is a lot less sensitive than it is on the PS3, where even at the lowest movement sensitivity setting I still occasionally run for a split second and accidentally get caught by the enemy I'm sneaking up on. There aren't any downsides or compromises to the 360 controls for Peace Walker since the PSP didn't have pressure sensitive buttons for Kojima to map a dozen extra functions to.

The only other changes I can think of are the coolant in MGS2, which you spray by pushing up on the right stick to emulate the pressure on the square button determining how much you spray, and they changed the zoom in button during cutscenes to one of the triggers so it still has pressure sensitivity. The 360 changes to MGS2 and 3's controls take a bit of getting used to, but once you do I think they're better than the original controls. Throwing items is the only real downgrade compared to the PS2/3, but the compromise on 360 works for everything aside from grenades, and even those work fine in most situations.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 24, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Sounds pretty good to me, looks like I'll be picking it up. Thanks. :)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Let us English posted:

Is there any game or piece of media that covers Big Boss' and Zero's falling out? PO shows them getting back together and they've long since parted way by Peace Walker. Given that that conflict seems to be the focus of MGSV, I figured they'd probably flesh it out somewhere.

MGSV is going to be the closest we get to it so far other than the end bit of MGS4 and whatever bits we got in Peace Walker.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The UK pre-order price for all versions at ShopTo is £23 and change now, so it might be time to jump on board if you were waiting.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Hold up, you can regulate coolant pressure? I always just jammed the square button in. Also how do you even do the shootout after meeting Meryl without a SOCOM?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hold up, you can regulate coolant pressure? I always just jammed the square button in. Also how do you even do the shootout after meeting Meryl without a SOCOM?

A whole lot of punching and judo flips.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Sort of, but not quite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWkDrI-6H8&t=532s

Seems like he dives out of the way and does some light acrobatic stuff to land on his feet (having been propelled by the explosion of the shell). It's not realistic, but it's way more grounded than a standing backflip onto a rocket which then springboards you up to shoot back your own rocket.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 24, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kin posted:

Sort of, but not quite:

After watching the clip you're right, it's he doesn't quite slow motion flip out of the way of a tank shot. The tank shot actually hits right at his feet, and blows him away, but he lands on his feet anyway a few feet away unharmed. That's...actually almost MORE ridiculous than the missile flip.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

After watching the clip you're right, it's he doesn't quite slow motion flip out of the way of a tank shot. The tank shot actually hits right at his feet, and blows him away, but he lands on his feet anyway a few feet away unharmed. That's...actually almost MORE ridiculous than the missile flip.

Movie logic. Characters can survive explosions much closer than they can in real life.

Also, more ridiculous than doing a standing backflip onto a fired missile, perfectly landing it then using same said missile to jump up and fire a missile right back at the enemy getting a direct hit?

You really think that's more plausible than surviving a close range explosion?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Snake is just the implausible master of missile stunts. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I have absolutely zero problem with Metal Gear May Cry. It was my first MGS game!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

He is known as "The man who makes the impossible possible," after all. :D

kin posted:

Also, more ridiculous than doing a standing backflip onto a fired missile, perfectly landing it then using same said missile to jump up and fire a missile right back at the enemy getting a direct hit?

There's expansive documentary footage of soldiers doing this that I'm sure Konami used as reference material while designing the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

He is known as "The man who makes the impossible possible," after all. :D

There's expansive documentary footage of soldiers doing this that I'm sure Konami used as reference material while designing the game.

If you look closely enough you'll also see that not only is he surviving explosions going off in close proximity, but that he's actually passing through them unscathed. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Raiden has him beat on the implausible missile stunts front, though I admit it's not a fair comparison :hellyeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypphRK14t8&t=264s

• Locked thread