Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Virigoth posted:

Great replies, I'll try some of those out tonight hopefully. I've also been playing him top and having a pretty good time.

Note that sunfire is actually a really good item for top lane Malphite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
How do I not suck rear end at rengar jungle?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That might be a question that not even competitive LoL players outside of Asia can answer :v:

Can you be more specific on what you feel is holding you back? Item builds, skill builds, runes + masteries, jungling route, when to gank, how to gank... really there are a lot of subjects you could touch on. Do you have other junglers with whom you have prior/better experiences?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Rengar is really hard to use and therefore Bad.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Darth Windu posted:

Note that sunfire is actually a really good item for top lane Malphite

Yeah, if my post was in any way confusing, Sunfire is considered a core item for Malphite (since he's usually played top) but in a support context Sunfire is rarely useful on any hero. Not that it's never good, just usually not worth it by the time you get it.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

As Windu pointed out, he's hard to play. Best suggestion I can give you is to learn how to make use of his ult engage. Get to full combo points before you gank, then either open with q after leaping from stealth if your laner has cc, E for the root if they don't. Make sure to use all your abilities so you're gaining back those combo points as fast as you can in addition to the ultimate's passive combo point gaining so you get the maximum amount of root applications.

Rengar jungle right now is very focused on his ganks with ultimate, so you need to patiently farm until 6 if possible, ult often, and get something out of your ult ganks.

The other thing that makes him hard to play is that with his stealth engages onto squishies he was so oppressive even built full tank that they ended up making it really hard to actually engage on people without help, so having someone on your team who can spead you up (Talisman, Jayce gate, Janna, Orianna, Lulu, etc) is super helpful.

He's a strong jungler, but he isn't as successful outside of organized play because of the nature of how hard it is to balance a sorta-tanky guy who can engage over walls while stealthed. If you really like him though, just keep plugging away at it, learning something through and through and being good at the champ will usually take you farther than just picking whatever's most powerful this month.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Focus on farming over ganking until you hit 6. This doesn't mean never gank pre-6 but unless you see an easy kill, with an enemy laner being super pushed up, just keep farming. Every time your ult is up or about to be up you should be looking to gank. Remember that with your ult you can just come in through lane. Especially at lower elos people pay no attention to the exclamation mark over their heads .

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Remember also that top and bottom lane are often easy ganks for Rengar pre-6 because of his passive.

Edit: I should add that I'm no Rengar whisperer although I've been playing him a lot lately. I find that it's pretty easy to apply good pressure early with him but the mid game and late game get very difficult, especially if you can't get your team to coordinate with you when you engage. If you jump in and your team doesn't follow you are going to get blown up unless you are incredibly ahead of everyone else.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 30, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Tier one?? Yeah that'll do it. You can't really jungle on tier ones anymore, the jungle hits way harder now. Tank junglers like amumu have it especially bad, you can still use guys like Warwick or Xin who get natural sustain. Get some tier 3s, they're on sale and you can actually use them. You should also go full tank masteries on Amumu, not many junglers go full utility...if any. That's mostly for supports or Swain/Ryze.

So I finally checked and while I was definitely using the wrong masteries (I'll swap to defensive ones now), I was using Tier 3 runes (flat mpen, armor, mr, with ap quints, I think). Maybe I need to just practice routes with Amumu to find the right one. Or swap to a different jungler.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What's the guiding principle for when to upgrade your trinket? I'd imagine it varies quite a bit depending on the role, but any words can help - I very frequently find myself never upgrading, which can't be right (especially when I'm supporting).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thanks for the words of warning and of wisdom re: rengat

I'm still insanely bad but I really enjoy his steez and will continue on and try my best :)

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone post stuff about Irelia. Like I know nothing about her.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Boxman posted:

What's the guiding principle for when to upgrade your trinket? I'd imagine it varies quite a bit depending on the role, but any words can help - I very frequently find myself never upgrading, which can't be right (especially when I'm supporting).

the trinkets have all been changed and the upgraded yellow is now incredibly good and really so my answer to that one is "Literally as soon as you can", like on hitting Level 9 try and buy it when it unlocks because drat is it strong. poo poo a million wards onto the map at all times and win games by sheer virtue of this alone.

When isn't really a matter of concern, if you have the money left-over after buying your items, absolutely do it. Maybe even prioritise upgrading red a little if versus stealth-focused champions.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Safety Scissors posted:

Someone post stuff about Irelia. Like I know nothing about her.

Irelia is a heavily auto-attack based bruiser. Her W gives her true damage and lifesteal on each attack, so she loves to build attack speed along with armor and magic resist. Her E is a melee-range stun if she has lower %hp than the target, which combined with the life regeneration in her kit makes her extremely dangerous when she's at low health. Her ult is four skillshot line-nukes that pass through targets and also restore her health - and since it's four separate casts it makes it easy for her to do a million billion damage when combined with a Trinity Force. Her Q is primarily a targeted gap-closer, but also helps her clear waves since it's resets if it kills the target (and since her Q also applies Sheen or Trinity Force procs... well, Irelia really likes Triforce). Her passive just gives her CC reduction that happens to stack with tenacity, which is a very rare thing and makes her a nightmare to peel off of carries in the late-game.

Go top, farm, and focus on abusing her E and W to get good trades. Since this is the newbie thread and she's so auto-attack reliant I'd stress that you need to focus on auto-attack mechanics: moving or using skills while your auto is on cooldown, while still auto-attacking as soon as it's off cooldown. Because Irelia has a point-and-click gapcloser she can become really abusive if she gets ahead, especially if you position so that the other guy has to blow his escape skill before you use Q. Doubly so since she can Q to a minion at low heath and then Q to another target (or another low health minion for another reset), potentially closing enormous distances almost instantly.

Don Verga
Nov 4, 2009

Been trying Warwick the last couple of games I've been stuck as the jungler and I have to say I really like his playstyle. I've been running 21/0/9 and rushing botrk then straight tank after that. I'm just wondering if there's better masteries/item choices? I tried 0/21/9 but the first couple of levels I felt like I did very low damage.

Also blue smite or red smite?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Don Verga posted:

Been trying Warwick the last couple of games I've been stuck as the jungler and I have to say I really like his playstyle. I've been running 21/0/9 and rushing botrk then straight tank after that. I'm just wondering if there's better masteries/item choices? I tried 0/21/9 but the first couple of levels I felt like I did very low damage.

Also blue smite or red smite?

Blue. I'm not a big fan of Bork on warwick unless you're ahead but it isn't bad. I like wits end on him but lots of people will disagree. Aside from those you mostly want resists and CDR since you are a drain tank.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm still liking ww jungle but I've tried a couple Shaco games and I think he's a fun date. I've been building following champion.gg. Is there anything else to do besides to play more games to get better with early jungle ganks?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Virigoth posted:

I'm still liking ww jungle but I've tried a couple Shaco games and I think he's a fun date. I've been building following champion.gg. Is there anything else to do besides to play more games to get better with early jungle ganks?

At the newbie level of play Shaco is cool and will probably get you many entertaining wins because he's hard for a disorganised team to deal with. As you play him more you might discover he has some awkwardness and occasional glitches - just something to be aware of.

But as for early ganks - remember that nothing besides a sense of honour prevents from ganking a lane, burning their Flash, and then immediately circling around to gank again for the kill.
If you do get the kill, push the lane and take some CS (colloquially known as the 'jungler tax'). Your aim is to shove the wave into the enemy tower so that they won't get the sweet CS if they'd killed it himself.

If you want to be dirty, during loading, go to LoLking, check your current game, and see who has the lowest rank, or who has the biggest losing streak right now, then try to pick on them relentlessly. As Shaco, you should be aiming to make the enemy team implode from the inside.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I've been playing Dota 2 for a while now, but a buddy of mine is more experienced with LoL so I'd like to learn to play that game. I've played LoL like a year ago for only 1 or 2 matches however so I barely know anything about the game. Is there a guide somewhere for transitioning form Dota 2 to LoL? I'll figure it out on my own if not but it would be helpful.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ekster posted:

I've been playing Dota 2 for a while now, but a buddy of mine is more experienced with LoL so I'd like to learn to play that game. I've played LoL like a year ago for only 1 or 2 matches however so I barely know anything about the game. Is there a guide somewhere for transitioning form Dota 2 to LoL? I'll figure it out on my own if not but it would be helpful.

Have you tried Google? Most of the guides on the subject I've seen have been the other way around, as Dota 2 is seemingly the much more difficult game to learn (that was my experience, at least, trying to play it after learning League for a year).

Based on my general League experience and my very small amount of Dota 2 experience, plus what others have said and from observing the pro scenes of both games, a big, big difference in League is that skills are generally lower impact and shorter ranged, and CC is much more unreliable and shorter duration in League, but you are able to use said skills much earlier and more often in League. It is generally expected you will be aggressive from level two or even one in most lanes and match ups and using skills relatively freely (but still managing your resources) is a thing you have to learn to do in this game. Also as I understand it the idea of "manaless" characters is not in Dota 2, but is relatively common now in League and creates some economic imbalances between characters in terms of resource management.

Past that, trying to understand the differences in itemization and stats (scaling magic damage for mages!), and the relatively fixed metagame and roles, in League is probably going to just be something you'll have to learn with practice. Last hitting is also comparatively easy in League compared to Dota, if I recall correctly, and you also do not lose gold in any scenario at the current time. Conversely there are no couriers and you have the ability to go back to base at any time provided you are not attacked, though the ability to go back to a lane with a Teleport is situationally available. Summoner spells (the biggie being Flash) are another major thing you'll have to get used to. The actual available options are much more numerous than what are typically used as per the meta though (i.e. spells like Clairvoyance and Clarity never actually see play; Revive is used in Dominion, though it is now a trinket, but hasn't been a meta spell on Summoner's Rift for years now).

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ekster posted:

It's really similar, and, as with any MOBA, the most important part is to learn all the heroes and figure out what they do.

Things that are not in LoL:
1. Denial
2. Buybacks
3. Couriers
4. Not as many items with actives
5. secret/side shops

Things to be aware of:
1. In soloqueue, lane meta is pretty static - you will almost always see top and mid solo lanes, a duo bot lane with a support (usually a mage or tank) and a marksman (ad carry), and a jungler.
2. If you don't know what to build or what skill order to use, look up your champion on probuilds.com - these are generally a very reasonable way to play.
3. Masteries and runes - jesus christ good luck here is a decent guide (http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/22oubp/cheat_sheet_for_rune_pages_for_2014_season_as/). Your first rune set should be (and you should only buy tier 1 and tier 3 runes, btw, skip the tier 2 runes):
AD reds
scaling health yellows
flat MR blues
AD or AP quints (depending on what kind of champion you're playing)

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 9, 2015

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Who's easiest to learn to jungle with right now? Jungle is the only role I have next to no comfort in and I should probably pick it up. Is Yi still have an acceptable jungler? Champions that I have that I believe have a place in the jungle or that I've heard jungle well: Malphite, Master Yi, Nautilus and Vi. Should I just pick up Warwick?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Epsilon Plus posted:

Who's easiest to learn to jungle with right now? Jungle is the only role I have next to no comfort in and I should probably pick it up. Is Yi still have an acceptable jungler? Champions that I have that I believe have a place in the jungle or that I've heard jungle well: Malphite, Master Yi, Nautilus and Vi. Should I just pick up Warwick?

Warwick is a great choice to learn the jungle on and fairly easy to play. Farm until level 6 and then start ganking. Build him like this: http://www.probuilds.net/guide/EUW/1869787294/20234739 (I wouldn't worry too much about runes)

Don Verga
Nov 4, 2009

Warwick and Yi are definitely some of the easier jungles in the game. Yi is amazing for split-pushing and cleaning up after team fights while Warwick is more of an initiator/tank.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Have you tried Google? Most of the guides on the subject I've seen have been the other way around, as Dota 2 is seemingly the much more difficult game to learn (that was my experience, at least, trying to play it after learning League for a year).

Yeah there are a lot of guides about LoL to Dota 2 but I haven't seen one vice versa, hence the question. I guess it makes sense given that Dota 2 is, from what I've read, more complicated/difficult. Thanks for the synopsis, both you and Sexpansion, it has given me a good idea of the biggest differences.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently lvl25 with 5000+ IP. I've been maining Warwick and Jax (mostly Warwick). Whenever I play alone, I tend to end up as the main or secondary carry in my team - I always get every single dragon spawn whenever possible and I'm pretty constant in the whole "getting buffs" aspect of the jungle.

My main problem is that, when I play with my group (most of them having +900/1000 victories) we tend to lose catastrophically 2 in every 3 matches, and I feel like Warwick isn't contributing enough as it is. Yes, I can control the jungle pretty well and I can do dragon at low levels, but I'm only relevant whenever I have my ult up and I feel that's part of the problem, while Jax just feels "meh" whenever I go top against the likes of Darius and Trundle. My friends have more experience with League than me, but I have more general MOBA experience (2500+ hours of Dota, some hundreds in HoN and LoL) so I've got all the basic "game feel" aspects down pretty well - it's mostly champions that take me by surprise. So it may be that my friends just suck.

Any recommended characters?

As an aside, any recommended characters to solo queue that can carry a team? I'm in the Latinamerican server so I have to deal with people with 10+ old computers and 1mb connections whose CPUs melt during teamfights and get dropped every five minutes basically every game.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
For jungle? Vi and Jarvan IV are excellent. Warwick's problem is like you said, he relies too much on his ult. Vi and J4 are good early gankers so you can take control much quicker. Their only downside is that in ranked they're almost always banned, but in normals that's nothing to worry about. J4 can also be played top (54% win rate there), but keep Vi in the jungle.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 24, 2015

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Rek'sai is an excellent jungler as well, very capable of early ganks and brings a solid late game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, just got myself J4 since my regular group has people who like to play Vi and Rek'Sai a lot. Any recommended probuilds.net build? PB shows Randuin's, Warmog, Iron Solari, Hydra, Banshee and Last Whisper as the most popular items.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Is Elise currently viable as a jungler? I checked out probuilds and people seem to build her more as a bruiser, but I feel like I don't do enought damage and she still feels really squishy.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Elise has been gutted. She was a popular pick in pro play for a very long time but she was stronger in pro play than soloq for the most part. They nerfed her for competitive and now she's where she is. I'd honestly suggest picking someone else.

Yes, she is technically viable. But you'll probably do better on anyone else.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jarvan 4 is amazing. :stare: Thanks for the recommendation, just got my carry a penta by ult-ing the entire team. :getin:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Azran posted:

Jarvan 4 is amazing. :stare: Thanks for the recommendation, just got my carry a penta by ult-ing the entire team. :getin:

edit: newbie thread whoops

J4 is really fun to go over walls with the flag and drag, make sure you are experimenting with different ways to move around the map as him.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

On that note, how's Riven as a top character? I see her all the drat time and she seems incredibly powerful when the player has an idea.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
playing riven is a single player experience in league of legends

think of each division as raising the difficulty

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Azran posted:

On that note, how's Riven as a top character? I see her all the drat time and she seems incredibly powerful when the player has an idea.

Riven is a hard carry melee assassin who got nerfed into the ground around the beginning of Season 4. She's incredibly, frustratingly powerful if you know what you're doing but she is not a newbie friendly character and requires you do things like animation cancelling that are hard to get the hang of to be really effective. She is also not a meta top laner at the moment and suffers from being best played as a squishy assassin in a lane that typically demands you be at least semi-defensive most of the time. Look up a streamer named BoxBox if you want to see the high end of NA Riven play, or some old videos of Faker, who was probably the best Riven in the world (and the best player in the world period) at the end of Season 3.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mysticblade posted:

Elise has been gutted. She was a popular pick in pro play for a very long time but she was stronger in pro play than soloq for the most part. They nerfed her for competitive and now she's where she is. I'd honestly suggest picking someone else.

Yes, she is technically viable. But you'll probably do better on anyone else.

Elise is technically viable in the way that all champs whose skills function are viable. She is the second lowest winrate jungler in the game, who is incredibly hard to play and whose numbers were just hit too hard. If she was just hard to play maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.

If you really like Elise give it a shot, but if you're spitballing for a jungle champ to play I would steer clear.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pros still regularly play Elise and even Evelynn in solo queue, doesn't mean you'll have the same success with them but ultimately if you watch those pros you can get a good idea of how to use the aspects of their kits that are still strong.

That said, it will always be like playing on hard mode and these characters' strengths don't really counterbalance their weaknesses until you have a ton of practice and know like the back of your hand what they're capable of.

I'd keep Elise in the backburner until you have the essentials down very well. She's fun but you need boatloads of awareness to make her work.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

Pros still regularly play Elise and even Evelynn in solo queue, doesn't mean you'll have the same success with them but ultimately if you watch those pros you can get a good idea of how to use the aspects of their kits that are still strong.

That said, it will always be like playing on hard mode and these characters' strengths don't really counterbalance their weaknesses until you have a ton of practice and know like the back of your hand what they're capable of.

I'd keep Elise in the backburner until you have the essentials down very well. She's fun but you need boatloads of awareness to make her work.

Yeah I think I will shelve her for a little while, I love the way her kit is designed and is a ton of fun to figure out which form is the best for the current situation, but she indeed feels like its way too difficult to do well with right now, I will try J4 as he seems like a pretty fun jungler too.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Azran posted:

Alright, just got myself J4 since my regular group has people who like to play Vi and Rek'Sai a lot. Any recommended probuilds.net build? PB shows Randuin's, Warmog, Iron Solari, Hydra, Banshee and Last Whisper as the most popular items.

The only thing I'd note here is that Hydra is a popular item for him, but generally only when he's laning or waaaaaaaay ahead in the jungle. Otherwise you'll just want jungle item and full tank if your team is at all able to follow up your engages. J4 has innate armor shred and % hp damage, so just sticking around is worth gearing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I know what proc means, but where does the term come from? I'm guessing it's short for something but :confused:

• Locked thread