Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MothraAttack posted:

Residents are reporting that Ansar Dine fighters have begun systematically destroying Timbuktu's historic holy sites.

This loving sucks. The Mali and Songhai empires are cool as gently caress and I really like the architecture. Cultural and historic treasures lost :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Orange Devil posted:

This loving sucks. The Mali and Songhai empires are cool as gently caress and I really like the architecture. Cultural and historic treasures lost :(

We all know how much those Islamists love cultural and historic treasures.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Every religion has a tradition of systematically destroying the idols of their competing systems. Islam is no different in this.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I can't believe Fouad Ajami wrote a book about the Syrian Revolution already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/books/review/the-syrian-rebellion-by-fouad-ajami.html?pagewanted=all

Ultras Lazio
May 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaal posted:

Every religion has a tradition of systematically destroying the idols of their competing systems. Islam is no different in this.

Two wrongs don't make a right and the Islamists dedication in this particular endeavour is a great indication of the sort of people they are.

poo poo people believing in a poo poo idea.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Xandu posted:

I can't believe Fouad Ajami wrote a book about the Syrian Revolution already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/books/review/the-syrian-rebellion-by-fouad-ajami.html?pagewanted=all

Fouad Ajami should never be taken seriously on anything ever, his opinions and writings are worthless and if it weren't for the fact that his audience doesnt know any better or for the fact that he tells Zionists what they want to hear, he'd be quickly exposed as a fraud.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Fouad Ajami should never be taken seriously on anything ever, his opinions and writings are worthless and if it weren't for the fact that his audience doesnt know any better or for the fact that he tells Zionists what they want to hear, he'd be quickly exposed as a fraud.

Oh I know, he's a total hack.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Wow

Car bomb explodes at Syrian funeral in Zamalka.

:nws: obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyD0hBR83v8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBM2wj-44M
:nws:

Xandu fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 1, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Section 31 posted:

Well, I for one appreciated him for inventing an interesting "meme" with his speech. Speaking of speech, does anyone have the full translated version of Morsi inaguration speech?

http://www.ikhwanweb.com/article.php?id=30153

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks.

Anyway I normally don't post news from Daily Mail, but this one is rather...interesting, to say the least.

quote:

Gentleman, choose your weapons: Behind the scenes at the special forces arms fair loved by trigger happy generals (and no, the one with the beard isn't Sacha Baron Cohen)

No, this isn’t a scene from the latest Sacha Baron Cohen comedy The Dictator, this is Sofex 2012, one of the biggest arms fairs in the world

SPECIAL FORCES COMMANDERS’ CONFERENCE, AMMAN

The entourage of King Abdullah II sweeps into the conference hall, which today looks like a university lecture theatre filled with a bunch of torturers from old Steven Seagal movies.

Men with structurally unsound epaulettes buzz and fawn around him.

On the big screen is a picture of the King, and the head of a desert eagle, representing Saladin.

Jordan is peculiarly placed to hold this event, surrounded as it is by Iraq, Israel, Egypt and Syria, with Al-Qaeda groups in Yemen and Somalia only a stone’s throw away.

Add to this the recent instability of the Arab spring, the atrocities in Syria and the uprising in Bahrain and you have a room full of very busy, extremely paranoid men.

An army colonel sitting next to me is happy to inform me that Jordan has an economy like Greece, high unemployment and no natural resources.

He says Jordan needs nuclear power and holding these get-togethers seems like a good way of proving how responsible and stable they are.

Out in the lobby the delegates are munching mini croissants and drinking coffee.

There are officers from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army, piratical looking chaps from Croat special forces, Singapore Rangers, Austrian special forces (who wear William Tell hats) and Ukrainians, whose spectacular head gear is a cross between an old schoolmaster’s mortar board and a bin lid.

Handshakes are more of a wrestling match than a social nicety.

They are joined by representatives from Lebanon, Bahrain, Yemen, Iraq and Libya. Various Thai and South Korean commanders have a ball taking snaps of themselves with American special forces officers, who they treat like Justin Bieber.

The big American generals and commanders are the real rock stars here, and Brigadier General Sean Mulholland, Deputy Director of Ops for SOCOM, delivers the first speech.

SOCOM is the U.S. Special Operations Command, whose Seal Team Six last year killed Osama Bin Laden. SOCOM has its own $7 billion budget to spend on vehicles, kit, training, IT and weapons for its 60,000 soldiers...

SOFEX ARMS FAIR, AMMAN CIVIL AIRPORT, JORDAN

This is day one of Sofex (Special Operations Forces Exhibition), where corporations and manufacturers from General Dynamics down to the lowliest logistics firm hawk their wares to the region’s most elite and well-funded military units.

On sale is everything a growing special forces unit might need, from inflatable boats to large Russian cargo planes.

The halls are divided into four areas: America; Russia (including Rosoboronexport, the Russian state controlled arms trader that recently fulfilled arms contracts with the Assad regime in Syria, and which has a nice line in attack helicopters and armoured vehicles); China; and the rest of the world...

edit: Not sure whether it's a good idea but I'm thinking a thread title = Middle East Wars: Sponsored by Sofex

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 1, 2012

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Can anybody confirm this is anti-government/translate what they're saying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sskzrc9VvXc

They have the regime flags there, and I'm not sure if the title is giving false information, or if it really is anti-government.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
edit: ignore, already covered :downs:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Timbuktu and the Songhai Empire were all islamic enteties though, so it is not really like the buddah demolition.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Speaking of Mali...

quote:

Mali Islamists to continue destroying UNESCO sites

BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — Islamist rebels said Sunday they will continue to destroy historic sites in Mali's northern city of Timbuktu before they implement strict Shariah law, as Mali's government compared the destruction to "war crimes" and said they would seek international justice.

Ansar Dine spokesman Sanda Abu Mohamed said Sunday that Islamists will continue the destruction they started Saturday.

"We're going to destroy everything before we apply Shariah in this city," he said.

Resident Moussa Maiga said the Islamists have expressed disapproval of what they think is worship of the tombs of the Muslim saints.

"They say that the population loves the saints like God," he said.

But resident Bouya Ould Sidi Mohamed said the historic city has long had Muslim roots.

"Timbuktu was an Islamic city since the 12th century and we know what the religion says about the saints' tombs," he said. "Contrary to what the Islamists or the Wahabis of Ansar Dine say, here in Timbuktu, the people don't love the saints like God, but just seek the saints' blessings because they are our spiritual guides."

Mali's government condemned the destruction, which they say is akin to "war crimes."

"The council of ministers has just approved, in principle, the referral to the International Criminal Court and a working group is working to this end," the government said in a statement.

The U.N. cultural agency on Saturday called for an immediate halt to the destruction of three sacred Muslim tombs. Irina Bokova, who heads the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, cited in a statement Saturday reports the centuries-old mausoleums of Sidi Mahmoud, Sidi, Moctar and Alpha Moya had been destroyed.

On Thursday, UNESCO's World Heritage Committee, meeting in St. Petersburg, Russia, placed the mausoleums of Muslim saints on its list of sites in danger at the request of Mali's government.

Islamist fighters from the Ansar Dine group have declared that they now control the northern half of Mali after driving out an ethnic Tuareg separatist group. The rebel groups took advantage of a power vacuum created by a March coup in the capital to seize ground in the north.

The Islamists' growing reach is more worrying news for the landlocked West African nation.

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 1, 2012

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

quote:

Turkey scrambles F-16 jets on Syria border

Turkey has scrambled six F-16 fighters jets near its border with Syria after Syrian helicopters came close to the border, the country's army says.

Six jets were sent to the area in response to three such incidents on Saturday, the statement said, adding that there was no violation of Turkish airspace.

Last month, Syrian forces shot down a Turkish jet in the border area.

The incident further strained already tense relations between former allies.

Turkey's government has been outspoken in its condemnation of Syria's response to the 16-month anti-government uprising, which has seen more than 30,000 Syrian refugees enter Turkey.

On Friday, Turkey said it had begun deploying rocket launchers and anti-aircraft guns along the border in response to the downing of its F-4 Phantom jet on 22 June.

The move came after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned that Turkey had changed its rules of military engagement and would now treat any Syrian military approaching the border as a threat.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The NY Times Watching Syria project has been looking at this, there's some reports it was a shell hitting a car as well.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Various Thai and South Korean commanders have a ball taking snaps of themselves with American special forces officers, who they treat like Justin Bieber.
The implications of the article aside, this was legitimately funny.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zudgemud posted:

Timbuktu and the Songhai Empire were all islamic enteties though, so it is not really like the buddah demolition.

Islam is hardly practiced uniformly; there are many competing sects. Comparisons could be made with the seizure and destruction of Catholic holy sites during the English Protestant Reformation, or even the story of the idolatrous Golden Calf as told in the Old Testament Bible (which concludes with Moses "mercifully" grinding up the idol and forcing his followers to drink it, then killing 3,000 heretics).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaal posted:

Islam is hardly practiced uniformly; there are many competing sects. Comparisons could be made with the seizure and destruction of Catholic holy sites during the English Protestant Reformation, or even the story of the idolatrous Golden Calf as told in the Old Testament Bible (which concludes with Moses "mercifully" grinding up the idol and forcing his followers to drink it, then killing 3,000 heretics).

or the sacking of Constantinople during the 4th Crusade.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Section 31 posted:

Speaking of Mali...

Ugh. I'm not a massive history buff but stuff like this still pisses me off. Irreplacable relics and historical sites? Nope, gotta go. SMASH. :ughh:

I hope later when they're going over the ruins it turned out they sacked and destroyed something from their own denomination just to highlight how goddamn ignorant these people are.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jarmak posted:

You telling me these guys are capable of taking out armor but not reading a compass?

Two very different things but yes, taking out armor is easier. I should know, I have been trained in that very niche. (Old MCLOS-guided missiles are very hard to operate, though.)

quote:

Not at all, it limits it from its maximum potential, but it still an extremely useful weapon system even limited to operating within LOS of a local observer (as in an observer within yelling distance of the tube).

Again, mortars are not artillery batteries, and they have far more utility then emulating one. The amount of times I've been handed mortar rounds and told me "make them fit" in my rucksack just before a mission would attest to that.

The greatest utility of having indirect fire on the battlefield is to be able to place concentrated fire quickly on any points of resistance or advance routes within several kilometers range, as long as some mofo has a contact to the battery. Do they have more uses? Yes. Are those uses critical? No, I don't think so.

If you can't do that then you negate a large part of what has made mortars so vital for contemporary armies. Single mortars acting on their own accordance are not going to alter outcomes of battles. They will not destroy or disperse groups of men caught in exposed ground, they will not deter an attacker from using an avenue.

quote:

The Afghans and Iraqis both used (and continue to in the case of the Afghans) mortars to great effect against US forces, why is it you think this is a skill beyond the reach of Syrian rebels?

Do I? No, that's your strawman and I'd prefer you dropped it. Do I think they're effective? No. I have seen videos of Taliban mortar fire. 'Comically inaccurate' does not begin to describe the thing. That kind of thing does have a psychological effect though, but then an automatic grenade launcher would do the same at a lower weight and higher rate of fire.

Your claim of 10 minutes of training being enough for effective use differs from my view of their effectiveness mostly lying in their use as an artillery system that takes much more training. As such I don't think that our views are going to meet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

computer parts posted:

or the sacking of Constantinople during the 4th Crusade.

Sure, though really that was done to plunder the city rather than for religious reasons. Of course I suppose that Cromwell's asset seizures during the English Reformation certainly had economic motivations as well.

Nenonen posted:

Your claim of 10 minutes of training being enough for effective use differs from my view of their effectiveness mostly lying in their use as an artillery system that takes much more training. As such I don't think that our views are going to meet.

I think that your vision of what a mortar can be useful for is heavily colored by how Western militaries use it. You're too quick to dismiss the other uses of the equipment. Its ability to deliver indirect ranged fire on buildings and encampments makes it a fantastic tool for guerrilla warfare.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 1, 2012

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

In this particular case, the mass-destruction of shrines to Sufi saints is a pretty common move in Islamic fundamentalist movements, which tend to be heavily iconoclastic. Or the government of S. Arabia, which skipped straight past desecrating just saints and has done things like pave over Muhammad's historic house and destroying the gravesites of Muhammad's companions and wives, out of fear of idolatrous worship of Muhammad and co. instead of Allah.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kaal posted:

Sure, though really that was done to plunder the city rather than for religious reasons.

Yeah, Byzanthines had their own iconoclastic elements, which also affected Islamic culture and probably(?) was the cause of the Islamic iconoclasm. I don't know Islamic culture so well so correct me if I'm wrong.

But it needs to be remembered that historically iconoclasms were usually connected to political infighting, eg. a new Pharaoh removing all mentions of the previous Pharaoh to put down the opposition. Likewise the Byzanthine iconoclastic phase had political connections. It's less usual to destroy ancient relics that the local population doesn't give a drat about, like with the Afghan buddha statues. Even then those buddhas were only destroyed in 2001, years after the Taliban takeover because initially Mullah Omar resisted the idea.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheIllestVillain posted:

Wasn't one of the main impulses to destroying the statues the fact that the warn torn country was offered money to repair the statues, and when the Taliban wanted to use that money elsewhere that money was refused? And those statues lived for more than 1000 years under Muslim states, don't blame radical extremism resulting from American and Soviet imperialism on Islam. If England was bombed into the stone age and constantly invaded while the United States only funded Neo-Druid fundamentalist groups you can be sure they'd blow up a lot of poo poo too.

Ultras Lazio posted:

Two wrongs don't make a right and the Islamists dedication in this particular endeavour is a great indication of the sort of people they are.

Oh do tell me what you think about Islam in general, goon named Ultras Lazio (SS) :allears:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More trouble for the Syrian government in Aleppo, a number of videos have been posted from Atarib by the FSA after reports of the Syrian Army retreating from the city.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mans posted:

Wasn't one of the main impulses to destroying the statues the fact that the warn torn country was offered money to repair the statues, and when the Taliban wanted to use that money elsewhere that money was refused? And those statues lived for more than 1000 years under Muslim states, don't blame radical extremism resulting from American and Soviet imperialism on Islam. If England was bombed into the stone age and constantly invaded while the United States only funded Neo-Druid fundamentalist groups you can be sure they'd blow up a lot of poo poo too.
It's more likely the talibans destroyed the Buddha statues because the statues were famous worldwide and blowing them up would give them the publicity they wanted ("We are the talibans, watch us destroy the infidels statues"). When you are unhappy with the way some money is spent on a few statues and you control a region like they did at the time, you can prevent the money to be spent on the statues without blowing them up.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 1, 2012

Ultras Lazio
May 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mans posted:

Oh do tell me what you think about Islam in general, goon named Ultras Lazio (SS) :allears:

I would but just the fact that you display cretin emoticons tells me that you probably wouldn't understand from the throne on your livingroom.

I like that you recognize Ultras Lazio though but even in your try to some irony you missed a better trick: SS LAZIO 1900. (here, I give it free to you, you seem to use emoticons and hence short of words)

Now, once you finish with centuries old comparisons, at some point, do say that destroying mosques because they are Shia, mosques because they are Sunni, shrines and tombs because they not Islamic enough is a poo poo thing to do. Today. Not 300 years ago.

I hope you will want to quit this spat here. I am.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mans posted:

Wasn't one of the main impulses to destroying the statues the fact that the warn torn country was offered money to repair the statues, and when the Taliban wanted to use that money elsewhere that money was refused?

No, the impulse was iconoclastic zeal. Rather, the statues were seen as a possible source of tourist income (can you imagine Buddhist pilgrims travelling to Taliban Afghanistan?) and you're correct in that international assistance for their conservation was requested. But the Taliban already damaged the buddhas before that.

Even here it needs to be remembered that Taliban was/is not a homogenous movement that has always held the same policies for everything. It comes down to politics within.

Wikipedia posted:

Abdul Wahed, a Taliban commander operating in the area, announced his intention to blow up the Buddhas in 1997 even before he had taken control of the valley. Once he was in control of Bamiyan in 1998, Wahed drilled holes in the Buddhas' heads for explosives. He was prevented from taking further action by the local governor and direct order of Mullah Omar, although tyres were burnt on the head of the great Buddha. In July 1999, Mullah Mohammed Omar issued a decree in favor of the preservation of the Bamiyan Buddha's statue. Because Afghanistan's Buddhist population no longer exists, which removed the possibility of the statues being worshiped, he added: "The government considers the Bamiyan statues as an example of a potential major source of income for Afghanistan from international visitors. The Taliban states that Bamiyan shall not be destroyed but protected." In early 2000, local Taliban authorities asked for UN assistance to rebuild drainage ditches around tops of the alcoves in which the Buddhas were set.

However, Afghanistan's radical clerics began a campaign to crack down on "un-Islamic" segments of Afghan society. The Taliban soon banned all forms of imagery, music and sports, including television, in accordance with what they considered a strict interpretation of Sharia.

Information and Culture Minister Qadratullah Jamal told Associated Press of a decision by 400 religious clerics from across Afghanistan declaring the Buddhist statues against the tenets of Islam. "They came out with a consensus that the statues were against Islam," said Jamal.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultras Lazio posted:

I would but just the fact that you display cretin emoticons tells me that you probably wouldn't understand from the throne on your livingroom.

I like that you recognize Ultras Lazio though but even in your try to some irony you missed a better trick: SS LAZIO 1900. (here, I give it free to you, you seem to use emoticons and hence short of words)

Now, once you finish with centuries old comparisons, at some point, do say that destroying mosques because they are Shia, mosques because they are Sunni, shrines and tombs because they not Islamic enough is a poo poo thing to do. Today. Not 300 years ago.

I hope you will want to quit this spat here. I am.
Yeah it's a poo poo thing to do but it has zero to do with Islam and 100% to do with the social political and economical situation that bred these men into such religious extremisms, even if you can't accept that opinion. Your place in this thread is one of an "enlightened" right wing european looking at the barbarians fight to the death. A Lazio fan, basically.

Nenonen posted:

No, the impulse was iconoclastic zeal. Rather, the statues were seen as a possible source of tourist income (can you imagine Buddhist pilgrims travelling to Taliban Afghanistan?) and you're correct in that international assistance for their conservation was requested. But the Taliban already damaged the buddhas before that.

Even here it needs to be remembered that Taliban was/is not a homogenous movement that has always held the same policies for everything. It comes down to politics within.
Things like these are heartbreaking. They aren't things done as a spurr of the moment thing, they aren't done by collateral damage, it's a thing that was pondered over for years before destroying such an historically valuable thing.

On the other hand, as valuable as they are, people back then gave these statues more attention than the misery that the country was in. Historical monuments are important but people are 100 times more so.

Brown Moses posted:

More trouble for the Syrian government in Aleppo, a number of videos have been posted from Atarib by the FSA after reports of the Syrian Army retreating from the city.

Wow, they are making outright offensives now? I was thinking the war was a defensive one, with Assad's men doing the offensive maneuvers.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There is zero defense for destruction of historical artifacts solely for the purpose of jerking off your own cult. None whatsoever.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Mans posted:

Yeah it's a poo poo thing to do but it has zero to do with Islam and 100% to do with the social political and economical situation that bred these men into such religious extremisms, even if you can't accept that opinion. Your place in this thread is one of an "enlightened" right wing european looking at the barbarians fight to the death. A Lazio fan, basically.

This is nonsensical. No one's putting Islam on trial here, but the Taliban are religious extremists who view such things as anti-Islam and idolatrous and that played a huge part in why they were destroyed.

Likewise, the members of Ansar al-Din take issue with worshipping saints and have begun destroying shrines. Yes we can talk about the socio-economic situation, but that situation is not unique to the Islamists in Mali or Afghanistan.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xandu posted:

This is nonsensical. No one's putting Islam on trial here, but the Taliban are religious extremists who view such things as anti-Islam and idolatrous and that played a huge part in why they were destroyed.

Likewise, the members of Ansar al-Din take issue with worshipping saints and have begun destroying shrines. Yes we can talk about the socio-economic situation, but that situation is not unique to the Islamists in Mali or Afghanistan.

Ultras Lazio posted:

It was mainly a response to this. He's not the only person who look at the Middle East and Africa as savage lands with inferior peoples mostly because they're islamic and use the actions of these extremist religious groups to paint the whole of religion as one.

Will this thread focus on Africa too? There's probably not enough coverage to warrant it's own thread.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'd rather it be a separate thread. The Sahel is borderline and probably worth including, but below that's such a different topic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I see Mali connected to the thread because the Arab Spring was a thing in Libya and Tuaregs are a thing in Libya too, while something like LRA in Uganda has no relation.

On the other hand Hamas and Israel doing something is not tied to the topic unless, say, Egypt became directly involved.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The Tuareg rebellion was a direct consequence of the Libyan Civil War, so it would seem to be on topic here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/300579/timbuktu-shrine-destruction-a-war-crime-icc-prosecutor

quote:

Islamist rebels in northern Mali smashed four more tombs of ancient Muslim saints in Timbuktu on Sunday as the International Criminal Court warned their campaign of destruction was a war crime.

The hardline Islamists who seized control of Timbuktu along with the rest of northern Mali three months ago, consider the shrines to be idolatrous and have wrecked seven tombs in two days.

Mali's government and the international community have expressed horror and outrage at the destruction of cultural treasures in the fabled city, an ancient desert crossroads and centre of learning known as the "City of 333 Saints".

"My message to those involved in these criminal acts is clear: stop the destruction of the religious buildings now," ICC Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda told AFP in an interview in Dakar.

"This is a war crime which my office has authority to fully investigate."

While this is pretty explicitly a war crime, I think the ICC going to get some bad press for focusing on this given all the other problems in the country.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xandu posted:

While this is pretty explicitly a war crime, I think the ICC going to get some bad press for focusing on this given all the other problems in the country.

Shouting "Stop or I shall say stop again!" probably isn't helping their image either.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Xandu posted:

I don't know if this isn't just a case of unintentional media bias. If the destruction of the relics wasn't already in the news because of the extraordinarity of the event, would the ICC prosecutor's comment even be making news? If a dog bites a man is it news?

In other news, UN Security Council's committee on Iran released their annual report for this year (which is a surprise, last year's was blocked by Russia), 67 pages long, which mentions two cases of Iranian arms shipments to Syria being stopped in Turkey. Is anyone able to find this report? It might be interesting but the UN website turned out to be a dud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
What I'm surprised about is that the reports seem to say the Tuaregs were completely driven out by those Ansar al-Din guys. I mean, wasn't fighting the Tuareg separatists why the military coup happened in the first place? It seems crazy that this group seems to have come out of the woodwork and pushed out the separatists that the Mali government couldn't even handle. And where are the Tuaregs now? Back in Libya?

Reading their wiki article doesn't really help explain these details.

• Locked thread