Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just waiting for my last ever UR card to drop so I can jump on the sweet sweet JEP train forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Lots of good game words here. The only thing I'd say is that duration cloak is also good for the Drell infiltrator. It's pretty cool to be able to fire and detonate two recon mines while invisible without triggering a cooldown.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

It's pretty cool to be able to fire and detonate two recon mines while invisible without triggering a cooldown.

This is true but it is also a lot slower than killing things with the bonus sniper rifle damage and recon mines(on gold). Bronze and silver you can probably wipe out entire waves before they get moving.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

zxqv8 posted:

Lots of good game words here. The only thing I'd say is that duration cloak is also good for the Drell infiltrator. It's pretty cool to be able to fire and detonate two recon mines while invisible without triggering a cooldown.

It's probably more useful to go for more damage and to detonate and fire a new recon mine with each cloak cycle (except the first one obviously).

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Smol posted:

It's probably more useful to go for more damage and to detonate and fire a new recon mine with each cloak cycle (except the first one obviously).

I second this.

My general rhythm with Drell Inf is

1. Cloak
2. Throw out a Recon Mine
3. Throw out a Homing Grenade and before it hits...
4. Two shots with the Raider, equipped with incendiary or disruptor ammo
5. Homing Grenade hits, which should cause a fire / tech explosion
6. Uncloak
7. Reload / Reload cancel
8. (Optional) Two shots from the Raider, then Reload / Reload Cancel again
9. Cloak
10. Detonate Recon Mine
11. And then basically repeat from step 2.

CowboyAndy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 23, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

4. Two shots with the Raider

His cloak gets a bonus to sniper rifle damage so using a shotgun is just handicapping him. Also, skipping homing grenades entirely will result in faster killing.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His cloak gets a bonus to sniper rifle damage so using a shotgun is just handicapping him. Also, skipping homing grenades entirely will result in faster killing.

See, I only take Cloak to rank 4 on him. Rank 6 seems way too big of an investment for a character who doesn't seem to be designed as a pure sniper. Plus, I enjoy Homing Grenades for the Armor Reduction and Fire Explosions.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Throwing out a recon mine while cloaked doesn't break cloak?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pander posted:

Throwing out a recon mine while cloaked doesn't break cloak?

Detonating does not break cloak.

The Drell is one of the best pure snipers in the game. You're basically using the mines to boost sniper rifle damage with the benefit of tech explosions. Put some piercing and a stability mod on a Valiant and shoot all the red glowing heads with no recoil. If you get in trouble it's probably because you aren't using his insane speed to outflank everything.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

It's almost like he's choosing a sub-optimal funbuild.

e. INTENTIONALLY!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Pander posted:

It's almost like he's choosing a sub-optimal funbuild.

e. INTENTIONALLY!

But maybe he isn't and that could help him. Maybe I just want to talk about the Drell Assassin. He's pretty nuts.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

If detonating doesn't breakcloak, why's he recommend throwing one after you cloak?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Because the cooldown on recon mine is stupid long.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Activating and detonating recon mine just after cloaking gives you a damage boost and the ~3s cooldown from cloak (recon mine has like a 10s cooldown otherwise).

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Smol posted:

Activating and detonating recon mine just after cloaking gives you a damage boost and the ~3s cooldown from cloak (recon mine has like a 10s cooldown otherwise).

Yep, that's it exactly. I've tried playing the 6/6/0/6/6 and 6/6/4/6/4 sniper Drell Inf and just didn't enjoy myself nearly as much as my 4/6/6/6/4 grenade-based Drell Inf.

Of course, these days, I'm using a glitched 6/6/6/6/6 Drell Inf. Still don't like him as a sniper though.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Drell is one of the best pure snipers in the game. You're basically using the mines to boost sniper rifle damage with the benefit of tech explosions. Put some piercing and a stability mod on a Valiant and shoot all the red glowing heads with no recoil. If you get in trouble it's probably because you aren't using his insane speed to outflank everything.

I understand what you're saying, but sniper rifles are drat strong enough with the inherent power of most of the sniper rifles, plus an extended barrel (or the heavy barrel which adds damage and piercing), plus a sniper rifle consumable, plus the Drell racial passive. So in my humble opinion, sniper rifles don't benefit that much from recon mine.

CowboyAndy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't really find Homing Grenades that attractive, so I just go with a 66066 build regardless of the weapon I'll be using (usually a Wraith or a Black Widow).

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Smol posted:

I don't really find Homing Grenades that attractive, so I just go with a 66066 build regardless of the weapon I'll be using (usually a Wraith or a Black Widow).

Believe me, I hear you. Most people don't care for homing grenades. I just happen to be one of the weirdos who does. Fire DOT and Armor weakening just works for me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

sniper rifles don't benefit that much from recon mine.

25% more damage from all sources though.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

25% more damage from all sources though.

I know that. My point was with as powerful as sniper rifles are and can be with the right mods/gear/racial passives, is that 25% extra that big of a difference against most enemies? Certainly not against run of the mill mooks, most of which you should be able to drop with one cloaked headshot while unshielded and two cloaked headshots while shielded. The same goes for most shotguns. Mooks probably shouldn't be surviving one or two cloaked shots either.

So, that leaves boss units. So let's assume your sniper build and my grenadier build each have their recon mine out on a boss. You've taken the extra cloaked sniper rifle damage to deal more damage with each sniper shot. I've taken the cloaked Homing Grenade option to degrade armor (because almost all boss units are armor based), deal increased fire DOT, and set up fire explosions.

I just enjoyed my way more because homing grenade also damages everything in a 3m radius, which allows for more fire explosions and which assists in damaging enemies in anticipation of the coup de grace cloaked recon mine detonation. And if they somehow survive the recon mine explosion, the fire DOT gets them usually.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I certainly understand the need to blow everything up. I just don't like all that set up when I can just set out the mine, have everything in the radius take 25% more damage from everything(not just me), and get headshots.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I certainly understand the need to blow everything up. I just don't like all that set up when I can just set out the mine, have everything in the radius take 25% more damage from everything(not just me), and get headshots.

Well, as long as you understand my need to blow everything up. :)

And I actually go invasive scan on my recon mine as well, because it benefits myself and all partners like you said and because detonating recon mine benefits from its own invasive scan.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Disappointed this was not settled with a Drell showdown last night.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Here's my melee specced Geth Engineer: http://kalence.drupalgardens.com/me3-builder#35!1C07525!!63I56353!G08.8

I did some reading on the lore and I believe the Geth would become friends with the Batarians since they also don't have the "normal" amount of eyes. The Geth would learn that the Batarian Gauntlet is far superior to their normal heavy melee and they would happily welcome the change to their programming to use the enhanced melee. (This is after Geth started using emotions chips)

I use the Geth Spitfire because it confuses the enemy when they see all of the bullets flying all over the place which gives me enough time to run up and throw down a turret before punching their heads off. I of course have to use hunter mode to offset the slower running speed from the Spitfire. Neural capacitor is helpful as well for giving me enough time to punch their heads.

This build is okay in the Bronze/Silver but really shines in Gold/Platinum. Just remember, Geth get bonuses to their intelligence from being with other Geth so make sure that everyone is using the same build so that you have maximum processing power to harness the true strength of the newly learned Batarian technology.

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 27, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Getting a Black Widow has totally changed how I feel about Sniper Rifles. Blam! Blam! Blam!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

moist turtleneck posted:

Here's my melee specced Geth Engineer: http://kalence.drupalgardens.com/me3-builder#35!1C07525!!63I56353!G08.8

I did some reading on the lore and I believe the Geth would become friends with the Batarians since they also don't have the "normal" amount of eyes. The Geth would learn that the Batarian Gauntlet is far superior to their normal heavy melee and they would happily welcome the change to their programming to use the enhanced melee. (This is after Geth started using emotions chips)

I use the Geth Spitfire because it confuses the enemy when they see all of the bullets flying all over the place which gives me enough time to run up and throw down a turret before punching their heads off. I of course have to use hunter mode to offset the slower running speed from the Spitfire. Neural capacitor is helpful as well for giving me enough time to punch their heads.

This build is okay in the Bronze/Silver but really shines in Gold/Platinum. Just remember, Geth get bonuses to their intelligence from being with other Geth so make sure that everyone is using the same build so that you have maximum processing power to harness the true strength of the newly learned Batarian technology.

Did this come from tumblr?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Trast posted:

Did this come from tumblr?

Nope. Turtleneck's all the way down.

Alternately, I do have a Charge-less Kroguard build centered on maximising Carnage...

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I should get my black widow krogan vanguard infiltrator build out for a spin. Charging and quick scoping all day, every day. :black101:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

Just remember, Geth get bonuses to their intelligence from being with other Geth so make sure that everyone is using the same build so that you have maximum processing power to harness the true strength of the newly learned Batarian technology.

What is the effect of the INT bonus, exactly? Is this why your GethEng kept bumbling into swarms of Praetorians/Scions like some mildly concussed duck and dropping down just as fast? Because there was only one other geth?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

tribbledirigible posted:

What is the effect of the INT bonus, exactly? Is this why your GethEng kept bumbling into swarms of Praetorians/Scions like some mildly concussed duck and dropping down just as fast? Because there was only one other geth?

INT bonuses help increase your Charisma stat, making it easier for your Geth to flirt with Alliance Infiltration Units. It's pretty easy to score successful conversations on Bronze/Silver, but gets much harder on Gold/Plat. Repeated successful conversations with Alliance Infiltration Units can lead to... "amorous" situations. :pervert:

Plus, it's the only way to unlock the 'Harem Ending' for Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

Plus, it's the only way to unlock the 'Harem Ending' for Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer.

My Batarian Sentinal always winds up with the Awakened Collector no matter what I do :( Walkthrough?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

sudonim posted:

My Batarian Sentinal always winds up with the Awakened Collector no matter what I do :( Walkthrough?

To get the Harem Ending, it's really all about what gifts you give your potential love interests. You need to talk with your squadmates and see what gifts they want. Of course, some of it is patently obvious. For example, a Female Quarian Engineer will swoon over getting a Reegar Combine, while a Geth Spitfire is ideal for any Geth Unit.

Since you'll be giving away all of your best weapons to gain more NGPs ("Nice Guy Points"), it makes sense to focus on a melee build. Of course, you have a random chance of getting more NGPS by buying a Premium Romance Pack.

Also, you'll need to take your love interest to his/her/it's favorite stage. Again, it's all basic stuff... if you're up to date on your lore, like a TRUE player would. :smuggo:

You'll have a better chance of romancing a human multiplayer character by playing taking them to Earth Firebase Maps (London, Rio, Vancouver). Asari like Firebase Goddess, etc.

The Cabal Vangaurd is probably the hardest to win over. She's so tsundere it hurts. It's a lot of work, but man, her romance scene is crazy! :vince:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, serious question, which two Batarians are the females? I've gotten some nasty surprises, let me tell you

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, serious question, which two Batarians are the females? I've gotten some nasty surprises, let me tell you

Trick question- it doesn't matter. Romance any Batarian and you get to be the "female".

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
How to play Krogan, a Guide by Keru, age 12

http://youtubedoubler.com/9Li8

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Keru posted:

Glorious :911:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Revisiting this Rock'em Sock'em Robot Build; I must say its truly the king of ME3 multiplayer. In fact, it's so good, it breaks the game. It's no fun anymore. Hence, I won't be using it ever again. It's just not fair. I have to purposefully cripple myself to avoid kill stealing in this cooperative game.

tribbledirigible posted:

Alternately, I do have a Charge-less Kroguard build centered on maximising Carnage...

This Krogan Vanguard skipped Charge. You won't believe what happens next.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Keru posted:

Awesome :black101:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Born female or identify as female :colbert:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

CowboyAndy posted:

This Krogan Vanguard skipped Charge. You won't believe what happens next.

The credit glitch Udina doesn't want you to know about.

This Vanguard has Annihilation Field- has Science gone too far?!

90% of Flamer-less Geth Troopers get this simple question wrong.

...and I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

90% of Flamer-less Geth Troopers get this simple question wrong.

It's me, I've got the guns only Trooper and a chargeless Asari.

• Locked thread