Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

You might be right, it’s been many years since I’ve watched it. I just remember it feeling/looking really cheap. I think it may have been unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh yeah I forgot the lovely Hyenas. Eh, I still liked it more.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Is getting Full Moon streaming worth it or should I not waste my time on it?

Well, do you like horrible Full Moon movies? Do you want to pay money for horrible Full Moon movies?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Slackerish posted:

The Den is one of the best found footage movies I've ever seen, watched it the other night. Worth noting that I'm loving tired of the genre.

One question: at the end, when she pulls the mask off of one of the killers, I got the impression it was a younger kid. My friend didn't. Did anyone else get that impression?

It didn't do anything amazing. Best praise I can give it is that is was better than Evidence. And at the end I thought it was pretty clear that it was a whole clan of folks running a snuff site

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Crackerman posted:

For Exorcist 3 Blatty didn’t want an exorcism scene, it was forced on him by the studio. His book, Legion - which the film is adapted from, doesn’t have one and ends a lot better and in a much more interesting way than the film.

You can almost sense Blatty’s frustrating in the film with George C. Scott’s “I believe!” speech at the end, like he was subtly addressing the meddling producers.

Oh, I know that. I'm more scratching my head at how we ended up with 3 1/2 Exorcist sequels that were all done by people who apparently did not want to make an honest sequel to the Exorcist. I mean, there are HOW many ripoffs to The Exorcist around? Surely one of those guys would jump at the chance to handle the real thing.

The Beginning isn't a good movie, but I'll give it props for a few things:

- In fairness, I do feel like this one was meant to be "The Exorcist in Africa" but in order to preserve the plot twist they couldn't get their full-on possession action going until the end, when you combine that with the vastly different setting the movie feels incredibly unrelated.

- The African tribe's attempt at an exorcism is a legit interesting and visually striking sequence.

- Both this and Exorcist III both do a surprisingly good job of making it feel we're facing the same demon despite it being in completely different people. This actually makes The Beginning unintentionally humorous since the entire movie is filled with serious-acting Europeans and Africans and suddenly this foul-mouthed American accented, grown-up, slutty version of Linda Blair appears and is all like "shove your cock up my rear end, father, rar!"

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just watched All Cheerleaders Die and thought it was great in a silly, campy 2-PM-rainy-Sunday kinda way. Take "Heathers" and "The Craft" and put 'em both into a blender and this would be the result. Not the best movie ever made or even a good one but still so much fun and I suspect that was the intention. You can probably guess what the movie's about based on the title alone and the "The Craft" comparison and you'd be right. I love horror because it's really maybe the only genre where "bad" can still mean "good" if done in the right way.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 3, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I want really dirty , filthy , nihilistic 1980s B scifi horror / horror. Just watched Forbidden Planet what should I move onto? Please no Troma.

Stuff that has Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer vibe it it.

Just kind of in the mood for nihilistic sex and gore horror. Don't know why. Prefer to stay away from Troma and Zombie films. Stuff like Demons I think that was the 80s or like Maniac Cop 2.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

I want really dirty , filthy , nihilistic 1980s B scifi horror / horror. No Zombies. Just watched Forbidden Planet what should I move onto? Please no Troma.

Just kind of in the mood for nihilistic sex and gore horror. Don't know why.

Man Bites Dog.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Eh , it has the nihilistic tone, but i've seen it to much to get any real enjoyment out of it.

I'm going back and rewatching movies from greater that 20+ years ago, just the kind of stuff you pick up off the shelf in the Video store horror section as a kid because it has a disturbing cover or a kick rear end cover. 80s horror.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hollismason posted:

Eh , it has the nihilistic tone, but i've seen it to much to get any real enjoyment out of it.

I'm going back and rewatching movies from greater that 20+ years ago, just the kind of stuff you pick up off the shelf in the Video store horror section as a kid because it has a disturbing cover or a kick rear end cover. 80s horror.

Hitcher was mentioned a few pages ago, if you haven't already seen that it's plenty nihilistic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's a really good one, I haven't seen the original in 20+ years. Just trying to rewatch all the older stuff I watched.

What was the name of that series where it had that monster inside a toilet? I think people remember the cover of the VHS it was like this Goblin and it was inside a toilet?

Something to do with Circuses. I think it was a series.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of that series where it had that monster inside a toilet? I think people remember the cover of the VHS it was like this Goblin and it was inside a toilet?

Ghoulies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Ghoulies II is a pretty fun movie, if you like 80's puppet monster movies. I didn't really care for the first one too much though.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I want really dirty , filthy , nihilistic 1980s B scifi horror / horror. Just watched Forbidden Planet what should I move onto? Please no Troma.

Just kind of in the mood for nihilistic sex and gore horror. Don't know why. Prefer to stay away from Troma and Zombie films. Stuff like Demons I think that was the 80s or like Maniac Cop 2.

I'd suggest Schramm, if you haven't seen it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Bunny Game

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hollismason posted:

Angst (1983)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Seconding this.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
My super-grimy thriller recommendation: Ms. 45, Combat Shock, Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, and Schramm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up The Den, the movie was raw as gently caress. Too many jump scares and I didn't care much for the ending but brutal and enjoyable.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Just finished up The Den, the movie was raw as gently caress. Too many jump scares and I didn't care much for the ending but brutal and enjoyable.

Me too. Had its flaws, but, overall, I don't regret the time spent watching it. 3/5 stars

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Forbidden Planet, Schramm, and lovely found footage horror all on the same page?

I love this thread.

E: I thought The Den was pretty fun. There were some fun little random omegele skits in it and the action was rather brutal.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 4, 2014

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

One of the best horror movies ever, in my opinion.

I enjoyed The Den quite a bit as well. Found footage fanboy here, though.

Annnd I still haven't watched Occult. I apologize! I will do so soon. If it's any consolation, I suffered through the remake of One Missed Call (2008). That and No One Lives (2012), which I watched last week, are two of the worst horror films I've EVER seen.

EDIT:

Vastarien posted:

I'd suggest Schramm, if you haven't seen it.

Any of those German directors (Buttgereit, also Schnaas and Ittenbach) would probably work here.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 4, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I still sorta like One Missed Call.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still sorta like One Missed Call.

I can top that, I own Stay Alive on DVD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is that the die in the game die in real life Frankie Muniz thing?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is that the die in the game die in real life Frankie Muniz thing?

Yes. It's awful. I love it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yes. It's awful. I love it.

I saw it on a date and she wanted to leave during it, I said OK. Ten minutes later, she fell asleep watching it, and I watched that piece of poo poo to the very end.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only two movies I've ever come close to walking out of were horror movies.

1) Identity which I only didn't because the final straw was the last second twist and then the movie was over.

2) Hide and Seek which was hot garbage all the way through and I probably would have bounced if there was anyone else in the theater except me and two friends.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was this close to walking out of Deliver Us From Evil. That movie was loving trying me, man.

Oh and yeah, I like The Den, too. Seems fitting that it would release in Russia first.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

weekly font posted:

The only two movies I've ever come close to walking out of were horror movies.

1) Identity which I only didn't because the final straw was the last second twist and then the movie was over.

2) Hide and Seek which was hot garbage all the way through and I probably would have bounced if there was anyone else in the theater except me and two friends.

Dislike both of these movies. Hide and Seek was just boring to the point where I can't remember it and Identity had that dumb twist.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I can top that, I own Stay Alive on DVD.

I hadn't heard of this before but I need to order it based on the fact that Frankie Muniz dies in it.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Speaking of bottom of the barrel horror, where's the Feardotcom love??

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oliver Reed posted:

Speaking of bottom of the barrel horror, where's the Feardotcom love??

Tucked away with my general love of cyberthrillers. What's the one with Diane Lane(?) where the killer takes control of her car via COM-PEW-TOR.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Tucked away with my general love of cyberthrillers. What's the one with Diane Lane(?) where the killer takes control of her car via COM-PEW-TOR.

Untraceable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am quitting smoking maybe why that's I'm in the mood for that stuff.

I'll check all the suggestions out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I am quitting smoking maybe why that's I'm in the mood for that stuff.

I'll check all the suggestions out.

I feel you dude. I am working on quitting dip right now and have A Serbian Film, Hostel, August Underground, the Bunny Game and Gruesome lined up for tonights viewing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

I feel you dude. I am working on quitting dip right now and have A Serbian Film, Hostel, August Underground, the Bunny Game and Gruesome lined up for tonights viewing.

Yeesh. I would maybe do two of those in one night.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I'm about to ask like the exact opposite question.

On Thursday I take the MCAT and after months of studying I'd like to loving unwind. I'm gonna catch up on movies I haven't seen this year like Godzilla and Under the Skin but I want some movies I can just put on and get high and enjoy. I also haven't watched a horror movie since The Conjuring.

I'm trying to ride a good vibes wave so what I'm looking for are some horror movies that aren't going to bum me out. I know that sounds contradictory but I know they exist. Just looking for some stuff where someone gets out alive and good triumphs over evil in some way. Even if it's just "final girl kills the bad dude." Maybe it's half that I'm burned out on the endings of found footage and maybe it's half that I'm not trying to be a cynical gently caress for once in my life.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

weekly font posted:

So I'm about to ask like the exact opposite question.

On Thursday I take the MCAT and after months of studying I'd like to loving unwind. I'm gonna catch up on movies I haven't seen this year like Godzilla and Under the Skin but I want some movies I can just put on and get high and enjoy. I also haven't watched a horror movie since The Conjuring.

I'm trying to ride a good vibes wave so what I'm looking for are some horror movies that aren't going to bum me out. I know that sounds contradictory but I know they exist. Just looking for some stuff where someone gets out alive and good triumphs over evil in some way. Even if it's just "final girl kills the bad dude." Maybe it's half that I'm burned out on the endings of found footage and maybe it's half that I'm not trying to be a cynical gently caress for once in my life.

The Orphanage, Insidious: Chapter Two, The Changeling are all pretty good ones

Edit: You've likely seen it already, but there's always Poltergeist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It Just Got Worse posted:

The Orphanage, Insidious: Chapter Two, The Changeling are all pretty good ones

Rewatching the Insidii is an awesome idea. Buuuut if I remember The Orphanage correctly that ends on a huge bummer.