Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I guess I haven't done it yet so here's my team so far:

Lupul-Bergeron-Voracek
XXXX-Berglund-XXXX

Gardiner-Pietrangelo
Giordano-XXXX

Ward
XXXX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The New York Rangers are proud to select Fu Man Drew Stafford.

Come on, a 27 year old coming off two consecutive 50 point seasons, including 31 goals in one, who is having a bad season when the team fired a notable mustachioed idiot and is battling locker room cancer? Sign me up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

And Giordano is an amazing pick. He's been so under the radar in Calgary but on a good team he would be loving awesome and he has a good contract.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Giordano has been loving terrible this year, but so has everyone else there except Sven lately. I hope it's a blip, because he's been great for a few years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Giordano has been loving terrible this year, but so has everyone else there except Sven lately. I hope it's a blip, because he's been great for a few years.

Yeah he's not a #1 guy and considering the Flames back end has been steadily eroded for 3 seasons now it's not a surprise that he's struggled in an expanded role. Put back into a 2/3 position and not asked to be Mr. Everything he'll be back to where he was a couple years ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Steen is a v good pick who rocks the fancystats and P/60 like nobody's business. Plays seemingly every forward position too, although mostly wing. If he had been playing center regularly anytime over the last few years I definitely would have taken him earlier. Now enjoy the tiniest gif of Steen:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cool it's almost my turn again

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Could you guys stop taking all the guys I wanted? Thanks.

Also for some reason I thought Drew Stafford was like 34.

e: Verviticus and the Canucks are up.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 27, 2013

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
What happened to the draft time stamps? I was hoping we could start shaming people.

Edit: Never mind - I see them now.

Slappy Pappy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 27, 2013

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm glad you guys are rushing on all the good Blues players because I'd rather cut my own loving hand off before I picked a single one of them.

So. Keep doing that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

VJeff posted:

I'm glad you guys are rushing on all the good Blues players because I'd rather cut my own loving hand off before I picked a single one of them.

So. Keep doing that.

Which hand?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well I'm left-handed for writing, but I dunno what my dominant hand is for chopping stuff with a hatchet, so I guess we'd have to try both.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Steen is a really good pick and was one of the top Cs I had in mind for my second line. He chips in offensively and is very good defensively.

Also, just a thought; I bet we'd be getting a lot more lists submitted if we cut the pick time down.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 27, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
just woke up. gonna shower and i'll prob have through of who i want by then

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

jesus christ man, do you work the night shift at a hot tub factory or something?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it's saturday you callous calgarian

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Maybe he lives in Hawaii where it's only 10 AM

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Late 20s hangovers are the worst, that's all I'm saying

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

T-Bone posted:

Late 20s hangovers are the worst, that's all I'm saying

Mid 20's hangovers aren't that much better.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have my pick ready to go. Post written, even.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Ha! Just wait until you're 40. I can have 4 beers on Saturday and miss work on Monday because of it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
gently caress me i wrote up a pick and mis-typed the search in the spreadsheet and he was taken

i'll just hurry this along, sorry. i'll take jannik hansen - prob one of the best forecheckers in the league, has the offensive talent to hang with pretty much anyone - he won't carry a line offensively but there's nobody in the league you cant play him against, and if you pair him with good playmakers he can absolutely run with it

amazing contract, he's at 1.35m this year and next

edit: also i desperately need right wings

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Edmonton Oilers select, from the Winnipeg Jets, Goaltender Ondrej Pavelec.

He is 25. He is signed until 2016-17 at a cap hit of $3,900,000. And he's done pretty good on some pretty bad teams. He plays a ton of games--like all but 4 this season, and 68/82 last season. While it's troubling that he frequently leads the league in goals against (well, this year and last year he did), he's also up there in minutes and shots against. And did I mention he's been on bad teams? We are confident that Pavelec will anchor this team for a long time. And not in a bad way!!! He had a .914 sv% on the 2010-11 Atlanta Thrashers team that finished 12th in the East/25th in the league.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

My family's out of town and I was still up at 8 and someone just picked Pavelec

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

Sounds like the beginning of another exciting day in Alberta

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With our 8th round pick the Tampa Bay Lightning are going to select Andrej Meszaros

Position: D
Cap Hit: $4,000,000 through 2013-2014

I figured I needed to shore up the defense some I guess. And I don't know a ton about him, but he seems pretty solid probably. Injuries haven't really been an issue until recently, and for our intents and purposes, the shoulder one from this year hasn't happened. He's a pretty big guy too. Which I hear is nice on the defensive end. That's the word on the street at least.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys Edmonton sucks now.

Seriously Pavelec is hot garbage and that contract is an atrocity.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Sounds like the beginning of another exciting day in Alberta

Hey man, I live in Ontario now, and Laberta's the only province west of here that I haven't lived in.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Meszaros is alright, but the injuries are becoming a serious issue, and that contract was probably a bit of an overpay even when he was healthy.

e: He's a Flyers defenseman, that's how you know the pick was bad.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

mentholmoose posted:

Meszaros is alright, but the injuries are becoming a serious issue, and that contract was probably a bit of an overpay even when he was healthy.

Yeah, I've cap to burn though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

Hey man, I live in Ontario now, and Laberta's the only province west of here that I haven't lived in.

you lived in Saskatchewan? were you born a bear?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
So this puts my team at...

Evander Kane-Jeff Skinner-Kyle Okposo
xxxxxx-Bryan Little-xxxxxxx

Alex Goligoski-Andrej Meszaros
Cody Farnson-xxxxxxx

Kari Lehtonen

E: Not...too horrible I think/hope? As someone said earlier, it has upside, but also the possibility of exploding spectacularly.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 27, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

mennoknight posted:

I feel like this should all be prefaced with a, "Dear diary,"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chairman Wao posted:

Cody Farnson-xxxxxxx

Kari Lehtonen

E: Not...too horrible I think/hope? As someone said earlier, it has upside, but also the possibility of exploding spectacularly.

That was me. It's really young and full of guys who theoretically haven't quite hit their ceiling yet, but also has some injury concerns (Skinner/Meszaros/Lehtonen), and a lack of proven top end talent outside of Kane who isn't a guy who can carry a team into the playoffs (yet).

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Dear Diary, today I added some grit and clutch goal scoring presence down the right side by drafting

Johan Franzen

The Mule can still "kick" and paired with Dubinsky and a yet-to-be-named LW, will form a 2nd line that is absolutely zero fun to play against.

And I lived in SK very, very briefly and yes, I am a bear.

edit:

Baertschi-Duchene-Oshie
XXX-Dubinsky-Franzen
XXX-XXX-XXX

Doughty-Kronwall
XXX-XXX
XXX-XXX

Anderson
XXX

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Expanding on my Pavelec sucks comments:

Guy has never put up above .915 in the NHL or AHL. Is routinely sub .910. He has backup stats but somehow has a starter's job and is being paid as though he was a real starter.

Being on bad teams is no excuse. Pavelec is just not an NHL caliber starter. Should be a backup, will eventually be a backup. We'll all say "hey remember when Pavelec started for a few years? That sure was crazy." Just like we do with Alex auld.

Love the mule pick. Franzen is a beast in the post season. Who cares that's he's older as long as he shows up when it matters.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

Dear Diary, today I added some grit and clutch goal scoring presence down the right side by drafting

Johan Franzen

The Mule can still "kick" and paired with Dubinsky and a yet-to-be-named LW, will form a 2nd line that is absolutely zero fun to play against.

Unfortunately the year column on the spreadsheet doesn't quite reach 2050.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Unfortunately the year column on the spreadsheet doesn't quite reach 2050.

Haha, to be perfectly honest, I haven't looked at salaries at all, not one bit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

Haha, to be perfectly honest, I haven't looked at salaries at all, not one bit.

His caphit is fine actually, and I'm pretty sure if he retires you're not on the hook for the it. It's just one of those crazy loophole contracts that goes on for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Wao posted:

Cody Farnson-xxxxxxx

Kari Lehtonen

Not trying to be a dick, but that team is really....mediocre. If they were a team in today's NHL they'd be WPG/CAR/DAL.

Also that team is so soft Michel Therrien is gonna have to come tell it like it is.

• Locked thread