Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Ahhh I bought a Hauler and the engine noise is awesome. Sounds like someone going wowowow into a vocoder :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well I ran a couple missions last night and scraped together 10k credits or so. :shobon: Call me an old fashioned grognard, but I love how this game makes you do every little thing like flight checks on your first takeoff, request docking, look to different UI consoles by turning your head, full control over every ship system, etc. To me, the entire point of video games is escapism, and when something does immersion as well as this game does... well... it's a beautiful thing. :blush:

What are some general "tiers" of income that I should be mindful of? Such as my first 100k, is that significant in terms of weapons / equipment / ship options that open up to me? 500k? 1 million? Trying to suss out where I should be keeping my head down and just chugging through missions and trading and where I should be considering changing up my ship and loadout.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Barfolemew posted:

I just bought voice command + the elite pack. And holyyyy poo poo.. Now i can just fire up my video projector and play from my sofa with xbox controller. Slight problems with finnish rally accent but it's still pretty smooth.

I have been loving around with this for hours now and forgot to actually play. Now i just need track ir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU8abkdJU0

Aw for fucks sake I'm gonna have to get this now...

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Siets posted:

What are some general "tiers" of income that I should be mindful of? Such as my first 100k, is that significant in terms of weapons / equipment / ship options that open up to me? 500k? 1 million? Trying to suss out where I should be keeping my head down and just chugging through missions and trading and where I should be considering changing up my ship and loadout.
I think it's more fun to continually upgrade my ship module by module. Use your sidewinder, eagle, or hauler depending on what you want to do and just keep tricking it out. Once it gets worth enough to fit an adder for exploration, or viper for combat, or a cobra for trading + everything, you can trade it in.

If you just want to grind missions or trading, get in a hauler then a cobra with lots of cargo space. Then you can move to a Type 6 for commodities or stay cobra a long time for rares.

I've been having a blast doing goontopia-related missions in a tricked out hauler with no weapons. Then I switch into a viper a bounty hunt a while.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Siets posted:

Well I ran a couple missions last night and scraped together 10k credits or so. :shobon: Call me an old fashioned grognard, but I love how this game makes you do every little thing like flight checks on your first takeoff, request docking, look to different UI consoles by turning your head, full control over every ship system, etc. To me, the entire point of video games is escapism, and when something does immersion as well as this game does... well... it's a beautiful thing. :blush:

I'd imagine that you'll want to keep an eye on Star Citizen if those are the things you like.

I don't know if there are tiers of income. Closest thing would be ship prices. If you are still on your starting sidewinder then you'll want to upgrade it's systems to D class as those are a good improvement and cheap. Where you go from there depends on what you want to do.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Siets posted:

100k or so will get you either an Eagle with some weapons and basic upgrades or a Hauler with some cargo. The Eagle is better than the Sidewinder in almost every capacity out of the box (including jump range!) and only costs ~50k for the base hull, so I would upgrade quickly rather than putting too many upgrades on the Sidewinder. It also scales well with upgrades up to ~500k and its excellent maneuverability makes it potent even against larger ships, though at that range you can start looking at stepping up to a decently-kitted Cobra or Viper. I haven't bothered with trucking since they added upgrades so I don't know how well you'd be served by upgrading a Hauler over just upgrading to a ship with a bigger hold / longer jump range out of the box, but you get full trade-in value on your equipment so you won't shoot yourself in the foot that way.

When buying a larger ship with a mediocre jump range (hello, Viper!) it can be worth looking for a station that sells both the ship and an FSD upgrade for it before you make the trade-in.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

War Profiteers

Battle weapons can be bought for about 6100 credits each and if you go to a war zone you can make a profit of about 1300 for each battle weapon sold to a type 9 in a seeking weapons instance.

In each instance are 3 type 9s of 3 factions. Target one, fly close to it, and you will auto transfer your weapons for cash.

Current war for the empire is in Durius and the weapons dealers are 280K Ls away which is like 5+ minutes away. Next war will probably be better.
Interesting, there is a "Seeking Luxuries" point in Leesti I think near the George Lucas station (or is it Lave near the Lave Station?) and I'd wondered what those ships that hang out in there do. Guess I needed to fly closer to them to find out what they wanted to buy.

Maj._Victory
Sep 16, 2007

BUILD MORE CITY WALLS!
Ramrod XTreme

TorakFade posted:

So regarding the Cobra.

Cool ship, but I slam all the time into things, it is FAST compared to the smaller ships and also weighs several tons more so it can't stop in any reasonable amount of time. Luckily it has big shields.

I want to do a bit of combat, I have decent combat upgrades (A power distributor and sensors, B powerplant and FSD, C shield generator and thrusters, D life support) and for weapons I have 2 gimbaled class-1 beam lasers below, 2 gimbaled class-2 multicannons on top. Should be enough to wreck similar-sized ships, right?

I ran with that exact weapons loadout for a long time and had no trouble taking out anything from a Clipper or smaller, I did have trouble with bigger ships like the Anaconda, but that that usually comes down to surviving long enough to take out their power plant (I'm not that great a pilot yet). So yeah, that should work fine for similarly sized ships.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Someone quickly explain to me the ship part naming conventions (B3, G2 etc)? What mix of letter and number is better, higher numbers & letters or lower numbers & letters? Obviously enough I can compare parts but I'd like to be able to know at a glance from the button label.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

Someone quickly explain to me the ship part naming conventions (B3, G2 etc)? What mix of letter and number is better, higher numbers & letters or lower numbers & letters? Obviously enough I can compare parts but I'd like to be able to know at a glance from the button label.

Numbers are the module's size, the letter is the quality. So you'll want a bigger number module followed by a higher letter quality.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The number refers to size class.

1 - Small
2 - Medium
3 - Large
4 - Huge (only the Anaconda has one of these)

The letters refer to quality, like a school grade. Generally the higher up you go the better it is, though each has a unique benefit (Except E)

A - The Best overall
B - Second best, good deal for the cost, but heavier than the rest
C - Competent, has less power draw than other grades
D - Mediocre , Weighs less than all other grades
E - Awful, the worst, sometimes as heavy as Bs too.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 24, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Weapons are also graded, but the letter corresponds to the weapon's mount.

F for Fixed
G for Gimballed
Uh...I forget if Turrets are T or not...

I think stuff like heat sink launchers are I for Internal?

Maj._Victory
Sep 16, 2007

BUILD MORE CITY WALLS!
Ramrod XTreme
No, the letters for weapons make no god drat sense. I've got gimballed multi-cannons that are F2, and fixed beam lasers that are E1 right now, there's no rhyme or reason to the letter designation for weapons as far as I can tell.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Maj._Victory posted:

No, the letters for weapons make no god drat sense. I've got gimballed multi-cannons that are F2, and fixed beam lasers that are E1 right now, there's no rhyme or reason to the letter designation for weapons as far as I can tell.

Oh well farts.

I still haven't upgraded my Sidey's guns so I haven't really paid much attention to the letters, so why are there so many F and G ranked guns and basically no E ranks? :psyduck:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I've never even seen an E class fixed laser. I would have bet money on them not existing. Is it actually an upgrade over the F?

edit: Thinking about it more, maybe I just never noticed. I don't typically use beam lasers.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 24, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Rating is weird on weapons.

Turret Burst Lasers and Fixed Fragment Cannons are As while a Plasma Accelerator is a C.

I suspect this is because they removed a lot of the variants of weapons in order to balance them.

They also need to update the damage scale so we can tell what the hell is doing how much damage.

Throumbas
Dec 24, 2006

why did the byob cross the road

Maj._Victory posted:

I found that confusing today. From what I can tell, the letters have no bearing on anything. For example the fixed Pulse Laser is rating F and the class 2 version is rating E but it's not like you can buy a class 1 fixed Pulse Laser with rating D that does more damage, unless I'm mistaken and some stations carry variations of the standard weapons.

Also, on the galaxy map, if you can't buy exploration data for a system does that mean that no players have sold survey data yet for that system?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Throumbas posted:

Also, on the galaxy map, if you can't buy exploration data for a system does that mean that no players have sold survey data yet for that system?

Yes also it takes some time to propagate once someone sells that data.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What do I need for a sol permit? Is this going to be impossible with my current 80,000 federation bounty?I want to blow up people who have finally made their first pilgrimage to earth

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Toadsniff posted:

Eh. Nope. Still going strong.

e: Yay finally.

The launcher errors out sometimes. It's really stupid. I reinstalled to a new SSD and left it running when I went to bed. Got up next morning and it looked like it had stopped halfway through. Restarted it and it finished in 30 seconds.

Jacobeus
Jan 9, 2013
Anyone have any recommendations for points of interest to explore, like rare stars, planets, nebulae, black holes, etc.? I figured I would check out as many cool things as possible as I make my voyage into the delta quadrant and beyond.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So sad to see he turned to a life of crime, he was a hero once...

(I loving love the NPC names in this.)

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So sad to see he turned to a life of crime, he was a hero once...

(I loving love the NPC names in this.)

They might as well close the loop on this and have a npc named, "Internet Meme"

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Why do you hate fun? :goonsay:

Holy loving poo poo it's Marauder Shields!!! Good guddamn find! :zaeed:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The number refers to size class.

1 - Small
2 - Medium
3 - Large
4 - Huge (only the Anaconda has one of these)

The letters refer to quality, like a school grade. Generally the higher up you go the better it is, though each has a unique benefit (Except E)

A - The Best overall
B - Second best, good deal for the cost, but heavier than the rest
C - Competent, has less power draw than other grades
D - Mediocre , Weighs less than all other grades
E - Awful, the worst, sometimes as heavy as Bs too.

I work it like this:

E - Stock
D - Lightweight
C - Tuned
B - Armoured (B-class modules always seem to have the highest integrity)
A - Sport Tuned

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Siets posted:

^^^ Why do you hate fun? :goonsay:

Because I can't have any.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

t-nutz posted:

I think it's more fun to continually upgrade my ship module by module.
[...]
I've been having a blast doing goontopia-related missions in a tricked out hauler with no weapons. Then I switch into a viper a bounty hunt a while.

I think this does sound like the most fun way to go about it. The sidewinder at first struck me as "horribly vanilla", but now - for whatever inexplicable reason - I've become quite fond and sentimental over it. :3:

Speaking of Goontopia, when hanging out around there do you just casually run into a lot more goons and players? So far I've mostly just seen NPC's (I think). It's a bit tough to tell who's a player and who's an NPC. I guess I need to look for hollow squares/triangles which indicate players? I kinda just want some more of those horrible pubbie "o7 m8" moments when you pass by other players in space or in the station. That kind of thing is always fun and endearing to me at the start of any new game like this.

Raziel Eldwor posted:

I'd imagine that you'll want to keep an eye on Star Citizen if those are the things you like.

I don't know if there are tiers of income. Closest thing would be ship prices. If you are still on your starting sidewinder then you'll want to upgrade it's systems to D class as those are a good improvement and cheap. Where you go from there depends on what you want to do.

Star Citizen had my interest until it became Spend $3000 USD On A Ship Citizen or whatever I keep reading about. I'm sure there's plenty of legitimate gameplay to be had (eventually, down the road, maybe) but for right now it feels like a horrible scam and I'm not sure I want to support their way of doing business. Maybe that's more the fault of the fanbase and less Mr. Roberts though. I'll have to think on it more.

Yeah I think I will go about upgrading to Type D gear at the start. Sounds like a good early benchmark for myself. That, and just learning what every module does.

Voyager I posted:

100k or so will get you either an Eagle with some weapons and basic upgrades or a Hauler with some cargo. The Eagle is better than the Sidewinder in almost every capacity out of the box (including jump range!) and only costs ~50k for the base hull, so I would upgrade quickly rather than putting too many upgrades on the Sidewinder. It also scales well with upgrades up to ~500k and its excellent maneuverability makes it potent even against larger ships, though at that range you can start looking at stepping up to a decently-kitted Cobra or Viper. I haven't bothered with trucking since they added upgrades so I don't know how well you'd be served by upgrading a Hauler over just upgrading to a ship with a bigger hold / longer jump range out of the box, but you get full trade-in value on your equipment so you won't shoot yourself in the foot that way.

When buying a larger ship with a mediocre jump range (hello, Viper!) it can be worth looking for a station that sells both the ship and an FSD upgrade for it before you make the trade-in.

I've had my eye on both the Eagle and the Viper, as I am pretty interest in combat most (though I'm not above enjoying some simpleton space trucking either.) I read some words on this blog about the various spaceships and it makes the Eagle sound kind of lovely though:

http://barkandbyte.blogspot.com/2014/08/byte-elite-dangerous-ship-comparison.html

Blog posted:

Why you should ditch it: The Eagle is too short-ranged to be a viable ship in the long term, as the limited hyperspace range and capacity of the power plant is too crippling to make the best use of the Eagle's three weapon hardpoints. This might change a little bit once the uprated drives are introduced in a later beta or gamma version of the game, but if you're after a pure combat ship, a Viper is the better long term option.

Sounds like you have to play some kind of module mini game just to even get the drat thing out of the system you buy it in due to its horrible FSD? Or has this changed since release?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Today I sold all my worldly possessions and loaded up my Space Truck bound for Jotenheim. I'm stopping to explore everything along the way so I might have a few thousand in stellar cartography waiting for me when I get there. Fuel Scooping is scary but fun! All I needed was a somewhat beefy Power Plant and a nice Fuel Scoop, I can top off a pip of my fuel without hitting 100% after a jump.

Once I get to Big Harry's, what faction are we pulling for? Or will it become abundantly obvious to me once I get there?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That Eagle "Review" sounds like its from Mid-Early beta, where the Eagle was kinda crappy. Its a great fighter for the price these days. Power plant is still limited, but I was able to run two fixed beam lasers, a rocket launcher, top end upgrades and a shield cell battery without too much trouble. Think I had to use a Class C shield though (but thats fine, Eagles shouldn't be avoiding damage, not soaking it).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

rip

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Barfolemew posted:

I just bought voice command + the elite pack. And holyyyy poo poo.. Now i can just fire up my video projector and play from my sofa with xbox controller. Slight problems with finnish rally accent but it's still pretty smooth.

I have been loving around with this for hours now and forgot to actually play. Now i just need track ir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU8abkdJU0

I use voice attack but this pack is just too much. Its not bad but when I have an analog control (warthog hotas) I will never use that. Also you really generally don't want voice feedback for anything that provides audible feedback already because it will just get annoying and also because the AI voice in game is different. Also the information for the commodities is just wrong. At the very least it should just say what economies are importing/exporting the good.

There are some legitimately great uses for voice attack but this one just is too much. Playing music was a nice touch. But I have a feeling you would get annoyed with the ship saying everything back to you pretty quick. My voice attack setup only has one additional response added and its tied to a command I would never use cause its dumb and unnecessary but cool.

But if you wanna pretend like you have a robot friend in space maybe this is perfect, who knows.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So...how far is this game from being great?

How much content is there actually to keep busy with? Right now it's basically grind to collect internet spaceships, right?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Siets posted:

I think this does sound like the most fun way to go about it. The sidewinder at first struck me as "horribly vanilla", but now - for whatever inexplicable reason - I've become quite fond and sentimental over it. :3:

I bought an Asp a while ago and I still mostly do my big exploration runs in my Sidewinder because I've become so attached to it. I spent ages upgrading it bit by bit as I tooled around aimlessly with no weapons or shields and it just feels wrong to use anything else now.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kevlar Beard posted:

So...how far is this game from being great?

How much content is there actually to keep busy with? Right now it's basically grind to collect internet spaceships, right?

No, the starter ship is actually usable and good, it's more fun to do what ever you want right now and keep upgrading parts on that ship than treat this like a grind, you won't have any fun grinding. I highly recommend getting in your first ship, learning the controls, and opening up on pubbies. This isn't eve, you don't have skills, and will actually kill things in your starter ship.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

I bought an Asp a while ago and I still mostly do my big exploration runs in my Sidewinder because I've become so attached to it. I spent ages upgrading it bit by bit as I tooled around aimlessly with no weapons or shields and it just feels wrong to use anything else now.

It's shaped like a guddamn doorstop.

...but it's my guddamn doorstop.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
http://www.themittani.com/features/elite-impressions-eagle

*cough*shamelessplug*cough*

Edit: FUCKSSAKE.

You know those missions where you have to kill x whatever, like 7 pirates? ANd sometimes when you drop into a USS there's an NPC that offers an alternate deal?

That NPC offering his deal resets your mission progression. 15 minutes to go on my timer, six out of seven pirates down - NOPE START ALL OVER AGAIN ASSWIPE.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 24, 2014

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Also you really generally don't want voice feedback for anything that provides audible feedback already because it will just get annoying and also because the AI voice in game is different.

You can disable the default AI voice in sound options, even for specific messages.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Siets posted:

I kinda just want some more of those horrible pubbie "o7 m8" moments when you pass by other players in space or in the station. That kind of thing is always fun and endearing to me at the start of any new game like this.

I had one of these the other night when I was bounty hunting at a resource extraction site and noticed a hollow contact on the radar. I flew over to him and said hi and we chatted for a minute and then went our separate ways (and he gave me an actual o7 and everything). I'm not near Jotunheim and I've only run into a handful of other players so far but I kinda like it that way.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Drake_263 posted:

http://www.themittani.com/features/elite-impressions-eagle

*cough*shamelessplug*cough*

Edit: FUCKSSAKE.

You know those missions where you have to kill x whatever, like 7 pirates? ANd sometimes when you drop into a USS there's an NPC that offers an alternate deal?

That NPC offering his deal resets your mission progression. 15 minutes to go on my timer, six out of seven pirates down - NOPE START ALL OVER AGAIN ASSWIPE.

It's odd but no it doesn't. Kill one more then abandon the mission and it'll tell you to go back to you original station for a reward. Yes, it's bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

superh posted:

Today I sold all my worldly possessions and loaded up my Space Truck bound for Jotenheim. I'm stopping to explore everything along the way so I might have a few thousand in stellar cartography waiting for me when I get there. Fuel Scooping is scary but fun! All I needed was a somewhat beefy Power Plant and a nice Fuel Scoop, I can top off a pip of my fuel without hitting 100% after a jump.

Once I get to Big Harry's, what faction are we pulling for? Or will it become abundantly obvious to me once I get there?

Sse the PG thread for the details, but it is generally pretty obvious yeah in Jotunheim itself.

Its worth checking the thread for our activities in the neighbouring systems though - bunch of people keep screwing up our Cegreeth ops, for example, because they don't know we're supporting the Crimson boys.

Quick summary:
Jotunheim Revolutionaries in Jot
Crimson Boys in Cegreeth
Empire Party in CD-69 5

• Locked thread