Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Kreeblah posted:

I finally had a chance to pick up my SARGSS package from my apartment's leasing office. Let's see what's inside!

Thanks, HKR!

:stare: I . . . had no idea they made My Little Pony wrapping paper.

Let's see here. Blazing Lazers, which is supposed to be a pretty good shooter. Cool. That should be fun. And a mystery N64 game! And . . . Duck Hunt. And an Eye Toy? OK, I guess that might be considered retro to some people. Let's open it up and take a look at it.

Oooh. The Legendary Axe! That's supposed to be a really good platformer.

Thanks so much, HKR! You're awesome!

Oh, right. I should check out that mysterious N64 cart and see what it . . .

Well, I guess I have something to prank people with now.

This is probably the best secret Santa thing I've ever participated in. Hopefully my SARGSSee ends up feeling the same way. :ohdear:

Glad you liked everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just gave up at the last level of Bloodlines. It hurt my brain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I totally forgot to include a joke game. I have a copy of Awesome Possum and Toxic Avenger but my santee doesn't have a Genesis.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

My hope is to see that Superman cart pop up in this thread every few months, a new, bewildered owner having just received it out of the blue from a SA trade/purchase.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So I made a trip to the United States today (only 30 KM from home) to pick up a few packages. Here's something I had to smuggle across the border:

Thanks Zenintrude. :)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I guess I'm giving up on trying to ever find a way to make/build/buy a MOTHER 3 GBA English cart...

The most I can find are dead forum threads, or people saying "Hey, I made one but hell if I'm ever going to sell my services!"

Argh, I'd pay good money.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This may not be the place for it, but I checked the television thread in IYG and it wouldn't really fit there, either.

I'm looking for a new TV. I play a lot of SNES (via s-vid) and NES (top-loader via composite).

And I know that modern tvs don't play nice with older hardware. Doubly so, perhaps, for cheaper tvs with bad scalers. But I'm looking to bite the bullet and pick something up for use with these consoles as well as Wii and 360. The various dedicated hardware scaler boxes are a little out of my price range at present but they do intrigue me and I will look into one in the future. I'm not a purist, so if whatever I get sucks that bad, I can always use my old CRT for the time being.

But initially, what I'm worried about is lag making older and newer games unplayable. Plus, a lot of newer tvs lack most of the input/outputs used for retro gaming. Even S-video is unheard of on newer sets, I think.

Outside of a new tube tv, can someone recommend an inexpensive but good television in the 32-40 inch range? Shopping season is here and while my fat tube has been great so far, I need something to play games at a higher resolution. Thanks!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
More on topic, I recently grabbed a boxed copy of FFIII. Never played it but going to over break. And I'm looking for a manual for Super Metroid. It's so hard to find boxed NES/SNES games here in CT. The only local arcade, Smiles in Milford, closed down last year and from what I know, it's a loving ghost town.

Anyway, keep on nerding it up, threadgoers. You are the lifeblood of the "retro scene"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

apathypuff posted:

Outside of a new tube tv, can someone recommend an inexpensive but good television in the 32-40 inch range? Shopping season is here and while my fat tube has been great so far, I need something to play games at a higher resolution. Thanks!

I have a LN32B530 and it is an excellent television... no lag, didn't even need to calibrate Rock Band.

It may not be that inexpensive anymore since it has been replaced by cheaper, crappier models.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just gave up at the last level of Bloodlines. It hurt my brain.

Oh gently caress is it broken/messing up really bad???

I sat and played it up till the level set in Germany but didn't encounter anything like that...

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
So, I'm still on my quest of replacing all my snes carts with battery holders, and I hit my first snag with super metroid.

I could not for the life of me desolder the battery, at all. Eventually I just cut off the battery and had the two leads. Still couldn't desolder it. No amount of flux helped. Braid didn't work, and my fancy new desoldering gun didn't help either.

So, I said gently caress it. Soldered the positive battery terminal that was still sticking out of the board to the battery holder directly, and I took a 1cm piece of 30awg wire and wired the negative down. It made a good connection, and is plenty stable, but then I hot glued it down for extra stability. It's kinda lopsided just a tad because of the wire, you wouldn't notice it unless you knew what to look for.

Oh, I also wanted to mention, since buying the hakko 808 desoldering iron, I decided to buy the fx-888 soldering iron as well to replace the trusty old radioshack iron. Glad I did. The radioshack irons take forever and a day to heat up, whereas the hakko literally takes about 30 seconds or less. Amazing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lepecard posted:

Oh gently caress is it broken/messing up really bad???

I sat and played it up till the level set in Germany but didn't encounter anything like that...

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. It's just trippy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

apathypuff posted:

More on topic, I recently grabbed a boxed copy of FFIII. Never played it but going to over break. And I'm looking for a manual for Super Metroid. It's so hard to find boxed NES/SNES games here in CT. The only local arcade, Smiles in Milford, closed down last year and from what I know, it's a loving ghost town.

Anyway, keep on nerding it up, threadgoers. You are the lifeblood of the "retro scene"

You gotta tell us what you think of FF3 (assuming you are talking about the SNES one). I gotta hear what someone playing it for the 1st time in 2012 thinks. :allears:

As for the TV I would recommend...get a Panasonic Plasma. I am a raging fanboy of their TVs, so I guess take it with a grain of salt but I have never been happy with retro games on an LCD/LED TV. Now when OLED TVs become a real thing...until then, Panasonic Plasma. Any of 'em. 0ms response time; they own all of the bones.

fatpat268 posted:

So, I'm still on my quest of replacing all my snes carts with battery holders, and I hit my first snag with super metroid.

I could not for the life of me desolder the battery, at all. Eventually I just cut off the battery and had the two leads. Still couldn't desolder it. No amount of flux helped. Braid didn't work, and my fancy new desoldering gun didn't help either.

So, I said gently caress it. Soldered the positive battery terminal that was still sticking out of the board to the battery holder directly, and I took a 1cm piece of 30awg wire and wired the negative down. It made a good connection, and is plenty stable, but then I hot glued it down for extra stability. It's kinda lopsided just a tad because of the wire, you wouldn't notice it unless you knew what to look for.

How have you normally been soldering them? I got the ones you recommended and they kick rear end. I solder them right to the board on the OTHER side of where the battery normally resides.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How have you normally been soldering them? I got the ones you recommended and they kick rear end. I solder them right to the board on the OTHER side of where the battery normally resides.

I've been taking the tabs on the battery holder and bending them down and solder them through hole. To do this, I have to completely desolder the old tabs out. I haven't had a problem until Super Metroid. Whatever what was holding those tabs were a dark grey, as opposed to the normal silvery solder.

You gotta tell us what you think of FF3 (assuming you are talking about the SNES one). I gotta hear what someone playing it for the 1st time in 2012 thinks. :allears:

I'm playing (or started to play) FF6 for the first time. Only about an hour in, and well... it's final fantasy. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all either. My first FF was FF7 (during the snes era, I didn't have any rpgs), and I'm glad to see that a lot of stuff is in some ways still the same.

I played through a good chunk of FF4 before on emulator, but so far of what I played of 6, 6 will be hands down a much better game.

Now if only I would start playing the games instead of tinkering with them.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 17, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

I've been taking the tabs on the battery holder and bending them down and solder them through hole. To do this, I have to completely desolder the old tabs out. I haven't had a problem until Super Metroid. Whatever what was holding those tabs were a dark grey, as opposed to the normal silvery solder.

I tried bending those tabs but they are so small they barely fit into the hole and they make the clips fall off the battery folder. Weird, because I ordered the same ones you did.

I am going to try Super Metroid tomorrow to see if I have a similar fate as you.

Also, is any particular solder recommended? I assume ones with lead are good? What is "rosin core"?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I tried bending those tabs but they are so small they barely fit into the hole and they make the clips fall off the battery folder. Weird, because I ordered the same ones you did.

I am going to try Super Metroid tomorrow to see if I have a similar fate as you.

Also, is any particular solder recommended? I assume ones with lead are good? What is "rosin core"?

The tabs are indeed small, and the clip does fall out once you bend the negative pin straight. The negative pin is also bit wider than the hole, so you have to trim it slightly to fit through.

I always do the positive (larger first), and yea the tab doesn't stick far through, but using plenty of solder will get you a good connection. The little leaf spring that is the negative pin is a little trickier. What I do, is once the battery holder is held in by the positive connection, I push the spring back in and tack it down with electrical tape, and then solder the connection. It ends up being very solid.

I use 60/40 solder at 1mm diameter. Rosin core just means that there's rosin flux in the core of the solder.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Vrikkian posted:

I guess I'm giving up on trying to ever find a way to make/build/buy a MOTHER 3 GBA English cart...

The most I can find are dead forum threads, or people saying "Hey, I made one but hell if I'm ever going to sell my services!"

Argh, I'd pay good money.

Two choices:

(1) Get a flashcart, put Mother 3 on it, put it in a Mother 3 cart (or any cart of your choice/make a label, Mother 3 isn't a cheap game).

(2) Find someone to make one, shouldn't be terribly hard. There's some guy who had a project going on but it looks like it fell apart (and his boxes are loving ugly): http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=526&catid=6&threadid=67548

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Ambitious Spider posted:

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. It's just trippy.

*Fooooooooooooooooooooo* That's a relief!

Yeah, never finished Bloodlines so I had no idea.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

As for the TV I would recommend...get a Panasonic Plasma. I am a raging fanboy of their TVs, so I guess take it with a grain of salt but I have never been happy with retro games on an LCD/LED TV. Now when OLED TVs become a real thing...until then, Panasonic Plasma. Any of 'em. 0ms response time; they own all of the bones.

So Panasonic is pretty good as far as tvs go; you aren't a fan of retro gaming on a big screen in general, but I guess that might be a good buy.?I'll demo some in the store.

I'll post some impressions of FFIII when I start playing. I know a little bit about the game. There's a moogle on the box. last game I beat for SNES was FFII, and then virtual console Chrono Trigger. still kicking myself for passing up a pretty mint CT for ~180 last year

What's really held my attention is the Metroid games. I'm really trying to beat Prime 2 and 3 and I have Other M but am not sure where that fits into my play schedule

I love collecting games for these consoles. A lot of it is just the boxes. I knew a guy who had Stadium Events (Pal though) and I got to touch it. uhohhhhhh-h-h. Haven't posted in so long, good to seea thriving nerd community

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

apathypuff posted:

What's really held my attention is the Metroid games. I'm really trying to beat Prime 2 and 3 and I have Other M but am not sure where that fits into my play schedule

Hopefully in the trash.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

Two choices:

(1) Get a flashcart, put Mother 3 on it, put it in a Mother 3 cart (or any cart of your choice/make a label, Mother 3 isn't a cheap game).

(2) Find someone to make one, shouldn't be terribly hard. There's some guy who had a project going on but it looks like it fell apart (and his boxes are loving ugly): http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=526&catid=6&threadid=67548
:stare: He put a "K-A" ESRB rating on the cart but an "E" on the boxart. How does that even happen?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

elf help book posted:

Hopefully in the trash.

:master:

The only acceptable answer.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got an Odyssey 2 off ebay today. Listing said "for parts", but apparently the guy just didn't know how to hook up the RF cable without a switchbox. It works great and came with 8 games. Funnily, I had the same experience buying an "untested" 2600 a while back. I would really recommend looking at the "for parts/untested" listings if you're looking for a deal on some of these late-70s consoles. It's a risk, but those consoles are really resilient so it's likely that the seller just didn't hook it up properly.

And speaking of soldering, adding composite video to an Odyssey 2 is amazingly simple as long as you can deal with a weak-ish video signal (I run it through a VCR which apparently amplifies it so it doesn't matter to me). I just hacked off an RCA cable and soldered it straight to two spots on the board. It's a huge improvement and I wish adding A/V to a 2600 was as easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

Hopefully in the trash.

You gotta burn something that bad. What if some kid finds it?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
re: Mother 3 repro, track down a Supercard CF and 16GB card instead (2-4 if you don't need to have every game at once with you always and forever)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I like my Supercard CF! Too bad the DS part totally wrecked my DS's cart hole. :argh:

Made for good portable emulation before I had a beefy phone, though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

I just picked this up from an e-Waste recycling place. They had a pretty nice haul. I went there because last time I was there dropping off some old computers for work, I noticed they had a bunch of Dreamcasts for 10 bucks. I didn't have any cash on me at the time and was on the clock, so I decided I would come back.

They didn't have any Dreamcasts this time, but they had this beauty at a steal. Works fine. They didn't have the AC adapter, but we pulled one off a typewriter that happened to be the right kind.

Been getting drunk with my room mates and playing Berserker all night.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So yeah anyways I was perusing to see how many RPGs the PS2 has.

Then...then I come across this:

Someone has gotten every single PS2 release

Not only that but apparently none of these games have been played. He just bought them to collect them and left them untouched. http://technabob.com/blog/2011/07/07/every-ps2-game-collection/

I am however saddened that Wizardry was so expensive because thats one of the ones I am missing myself.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 17, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

So yeah anyways I was perusing to see how many RPGs the PS2 has and what I'm missing. Because I want to own every single PS2 RPG out there.

Then...then I come across this:

Someone has gotten every single PS2 release

Not only that but apparently none of these games have been played. He just bought them to collect them and left them untouched. http://technabob.com/blog/2011/07/07/every-ps2-game-collection/

I am however saddened that Wizardry was so expensive because thats one of the ones I am missing myself.

It's a big collection but it's far from complete. That says he has 1850 games and even Wikipedia's incredibly truncated list which is missing the majority of Japanese exclusive titles is around 2200.

I can believe that he has all of the North American releases but given the sheer quantity of games that were only released in Japan I wouldn't consider a PS2 collection "complete" unless it had all of those.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

apathypuff posted:

dedicated hardware scaler boxes
Wait, what? Let's see how much these things co:stare:

edit: Can someone tell me more about these things? How much of an improvement are we talking about relative to plugging a system directly into an HDTV via composite and/or s-video? Are there any recommended brands or models?

edit2: Hmm maybe I'll give this one a shot sometime. The fact that its price is so much lower than the other boxes gives me pause, but it has good reviews. The built-in scaling on my current HDTV is reeeeaalllly bad (when I use the NES, it makes some pixels look like figure eights, and there's no game mode), so it's worth a shot.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 17, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

apathypuff posted:

This may not be the place for it, but I checked the television thread in IYG and it wouldn't really fit there, either.

I'm looking for a new TV. I play a lot of SNES (via s-vid) and NES (top-loader via composite).

And I know that modern tvs don't play nice with older hardware. Doubly so, perhaps, for cheaper tvs with bad scalers. But I'm looking to bite the bullet and pick something up for use with these consoles as well as Wii and 360. The various dedicated hardware scaler boxes are a little out of my price range at present but they do intrigue me and I will look into one in the future. I'm not a purist, so if whatever I get sucks that bad, I can always use my old CRT for the time being.

But initially, what I'm worried about is lag making older and newer games unplayable. Plus, a lot of newer tvs lack most of the input/outputs used for retro gaming. Even S-video is unheard of on newer sets, I think.

Ok, I'm going to say something that two months ago I didn't think I would say. Buy an XRGB Mini. Seriously.

And it's not even so much the quest to get the best possible picture out of rgb, it's more of future proofing your old consoles on newer TVs. The xrgb mini outputs in hdmi, and you can have all of your retro consoles hooked up via composite, svideo, rgb, component, etc and have it all output hdmi. Once you get the settings down right, you're good to go.

It also helps that the mini is one of the best video processors on the market and will be leagues better than anything incorporated in your TV. For example, on the opening sequence in the town on FF3/6, there's a ton of metal grates on the ground. They looked fine when I moved vertically, but when horizontal movement was introduced, my TV's video processor would blur them. With the console hooked up the xrgb mini, this blurring doesn't occur. I also see similar stuff in games like DKC.

If you do end up buying the xrgb, do buy the mini and skip the xrgb-3. The xrgb-3 outputs via vga, and that's fine and dandy since all hdtvs support it as far as I know, but I'm sure vga inputs will eventually be on the chopping block for TV manufacturers.

Learn from me, and learn from hamburglar/rgb miyamoto (or whatever you want to call him :P ), go big and save for the xrgb mini. It's pricey at $450, but it's an absolutely great investment that standardizes the output to modern displays if an old tube tv is not an option.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Just won a copy of Mischief Makers off Ebay for four bucks. :woop: Now I have an excuse to hook up the old 64 with my still perfect controller. :smug: But speaking of N64 analog sticks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8rLSz64XQ

Yup, he did that too. How are the replacement N64 sticks though? Is it worth destroying a GC controller for?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

Wait, what? Let's see how much these things co:stare:

edit: Can someone tell me more about these things? How much of an improvement are we talking about relative to plugging a system directly into an HDTV via composite and/or s-video? Are there any recommended brands or models?

edit2: Hmm maybe I'll give this one a shot sometime. The fact that its price is so much lower than the other boxes gives me pause, but it has good reviews. The built-in scaling on my current HDTV is reeeeaalllly bad (when I use the NES, it makes some pixels look like figure eights, and there's no game mode), so it's worth a shot.

I've been a huge advocate of this one for about a year now. It's hands-down the best one out there for 240p gaming right now (which is 99% of what people are going to care about) and a bunch of us in the thread have them. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every penny if you want the absolute best available video quality out of your old systems.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Kreeblah posted:

I've been a huge advocate of this one for about a year now. It's hands-down the best one out there for 240p gaming right now (which is 99% of what people are going to care about) and a bunch of us in the thread have them. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every penny if you want the absolute best available video quality out of your old systems.
Yeah I just saw fatpat's post after I edited my post the second time. Guess it's time to start saving! :v:

my wallet noooooo :negative:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Just won a copy of Mischief Makers off Ebay for four bucks. :woop: Now I have an excuse to hook up the old 64 with my still perfect controller. :smug: But speaking of N64 analog sticks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga8rLSz64XQ

Yup, he did that too. How are the replacement N64 sticks though? Is it worth destroying a GC controller for?

You can buy replacement n64 control sticks that are modeled after gamecube ones, and then use the atmel controller (the one that the replacement uses sucks).

Or just buy the adapter on raphnet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Yeah I just saw fatpat's post after I edited my post the second time. Guess it's time to start saving! :v:

You probably should read fudoh's guide as there are a lot of nice ones out there that can be had for a fraction of the xrgb mini's cost, though they are all old and hard to find other than scouring ebay.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Cicero posted:

If you do buy it, buy it from solaris japan. Ebay sellers like to jack up the price to ~$520 and then add $60 shipping. Buying from solaris, depending on exchange rate should come out to ~$450. But I paid for the UPS express shipping, which was $40.

I just wish a western company would partner with micromsoft to bring the xrgb mini over to the US and Europe, and potentially offer it at a cheaper price.

There's a precedent for this happening. Micromsoft has an rgb capture card (that allows you to have rgb input in your pc) called the micomsoft sc-500n1. Well, a company by the name of Startech released the exact same card called Startech PEXHDCAP . The SC-500n1 would cost you about $350 to import, whereas the Startech card costs $150 or less.

Robolizard! posted:

You probably should read fudoh's guide as there are a lot of nice ones out there that can be had for a fraction of the xrgb mini's cost, though they are all old and hard to find other than scouring ebay.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Again, you can't discount the fact that the mini outputs hdmi. A video standard that is likely to be around for quite a while. A lot of the other video processors output via dsub vga. A connector that might not even be around for much longer. Hell even most laptops nowadays don't have vga out anymore and just use hdmi.

But my priorities aren't the same as everyone else though.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 17, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

I recently bought a new LCD and an s-video hardware upscaler for my SNES and it's a huge improvement over composite as you would expect. You can spend like 1/5th the money and still get something that will get you a great picture, even if it's not as good as what you would get with an XRGB or one of the higher end processors.

I was going to take some photos and post about it but the thread has been doing so well with actually talking about old games. I didn't want to ruin it by steering it back to upscalers/~video talk~ (looks like it's too late for that though :sun:).

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

There's a precedent for this happening. Micromsoft has an rgb capture card (that allows you to have rgb input in your pc) called the micomsoft sc-500n1. Well, a company by the name of Startech released the exact same card called Startech PEXHDCAP . The SC-500n1 would cost you about $350 to import, whereas the Startech card costs $150 or less.

Any idea how the picture quality via this capture card compares to just using the XRGB? Would this be a viable cheaper alternative for those of us that already have HTPCs or would it still be better to just use the XRGB-Mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Any idea how the picture quality via this capture card compares to just using the XRGB? Would this be a viable cheaper alternative for those of us that already have HTPCs or would it still be better to just use the XRGB-Mini?

I can't speak personally about the quality of the card. You're better off looking here:

http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/startech-pexhdcap-hdmirgbvgacomponent-capture-card-review/

• Locked thread