Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lotish posted:

Say...after Chrom gets auto-married, can you make him a widower and have someone else swoop in and pick up the pieces? :sympathy:
I believe married women retreat instead of die to basically avoid this conundrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sylpher posted:

Got an email from Amazon saying they have been unable to obtain a copy and I will need to approve waiting for one, otherwise if I don't approve the order will cancel in March. eShop resolve weakening.

Got that one as well. Made the decision to drive to Target before work to snag a copy. Oh well, my Amazon gift card can go towards my Game of Thrones pre-order I guess. At least I have the game now! :woop:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hobo Siege posted:

I just cleared Chapter 10 and Hard Mode's looking like a joke right now. My duo of Sully and Frenchman von Ruffles have decided to stop taking damage from arms now that Sully is a Great Knight, Chrom and Robin would be breaking 200 damage a turn if things didn't die well before then and Donny is shaping up to be one hell of a mercenary. Fred and... Uh, bunny lady are no slouches either. Pair your guys up, cap their supports and laugh all the way to the bank.

On hard I was blasting through everything like it wasn't there until I think it was chapter 17, at that point the game suddenly got real on me with tons of valkyries with thoron practically 1 shotting all my guys.

Then I was forced to grind for a bit to beat the mission and the game is trivially easy again.

Will also state that I find flying units fully useless in combat, I keep 1 around simply as a Kellam taxi, that is it.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So in Classic mode I've seen some units specifically mention them retreating, what exactly determines who dies and who retreats? Is it purely story based? I always end up restarting anyway.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Hobo Siege posted:

I just cleared Chapter 10 and Hard Mode's looking like a joke right now. My duo of Sully and Frenchman von Ruffles have decided to stop taking damage from arms now that Sully is a Great Knight, Chrom and Robin would be breaking 200 damage a turn if things didn't die well before then and Donny is shaping up to be one hell of a mercenary. Fred and... Uh, bunny lady are no slouches either. Pair your guys up, cap their supports and laugh all the way to the bank.

Don't worry it gets pretty stupid later on with overwhelming numbers of promoted enemies with forged silver/killer weapons. There's just a big lull between chapters 5-15.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So far Sumia is a murder taxi for my Avatar. Her levels have been simply insane (As in the worst was like hp,skill,spd with most being hp,str,skill,spd,def,res). But I am not nearly as far as you guys. I definitely need to start supporting my Avatar with someone else though because hers are terrible and her character is meh. Don't want that :P

Of course then there is Sully and Chrom. Who typically deal with half the map by themselves. :dance:

Also this game is so fun.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 6, 2013

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Teaming characters up with their children to help them level up is super adorable and I will always do it forever. :allears:

But seriously- do we have any idea what sort of pairs are the best ones to roll with, tactically? I imagine a pegasus rider + low-mobility heavy-hitter is the easiest thing to come up with, since you can get around outside of danger via pegasus and then land in the enemy area, swap to your tanky murdermaster, and just go to town. That's served me pretty well so far. But I'm not sure what else is a good combo. And I imagine it's the sort of thing I need to be thinking about when making pairs on harder difficulties.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sorcerer/Dark Flier is apparently the God Combo. Ferry the Sorcerer around, have them absorb-tank, support from the partner with additional magic attacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

So in Classic mode I've seen some units specifically mention them retreating, what exactly determines who dies and who retreats? Is it purely story based? I always end up restarting anyway.
Retreating in classic mode is still just dying, mechanically, they just have story roles so they write them as 'retreating due to wounds.' I think Fred's an example of that, since he has so much dialogue. Say'ri too, I'm pretty sure.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
This is a bit of a longshot, but since the first round of spotpass stuff went up on the 31st, is there any word from Nintendo on if they're gonna delay the second round in light of most of the copies not being loving out yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can still summon the old sets at any time, I think, if I'm reading the Serenes Forest explanation of the spotpass stuff right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah the only time restriction is how long the Marth DLC is free, and that's not for another month.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have a question about the pairing system: do secondary units only gain EXP when they get in an attack during the primary unit's engagement? Pairing up units seems like it would handicap the joining character because they don't have as many opportunities to gain experience.

And are enemies less aggressive on Normal? This is my first Fire Emblem, so I've been playing on Normal Classic. I just completed Chapter 5 and haven't lost anyone, and I'm not sure if it's because I've figured out a good strategy (I typically move everyone together in one large group and bait individual units so they'll come to me one at a time), or if it's because enemies are less inclined to come to me.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Ah, okay. Wasn't 100% sure how the Spotpass works since, you know, bought a bundle :bang:

Anyway, another little stat question I'm not 100% sure about to pass the time (asked yesterday, but didn't get an answer): Are Lucina's final stats/skills determined at the end of Chapter 11 when Chrom actually has her, or the beginning of Chapter 13 when she's properly recruited? I know with the other children characters it's the latter, but she's a pretty unique case for obvious reasons.

Anyone?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 6, 2013

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Karthe posted:

I have a question about the pairing system: do secondary units only gain EXP when they get in an attack during the primary unit's engagement? Pairing up units seems like it would handicap the joining character because they don't have as many opportunities to gain experience.

Not only that, they have to attack and deal damage to get credited for some EXP. That's where high support levels come in, the better the relationship between two characters, the more likely the support will jump in to attack.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Karthe posted:

Yeah, that's how it works. Anyone who actively participates with an attack gets XP. Defending the 'lead' character doesn't do it, just being present doesn't do it. Only if the duo-attack triggers. How I've handled this is just occasionally switching the two of them for a while- with Sully and Chrom, for example, I'd switch their positions every time they went up a level(unless I had reason not to, like using a specific weapon or terrain reasons). Nobody's ended up underleveled or anything for me. Though doing side-quests is pretty important for staying ahead of the curve.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, that's how it works. Anyone who actively participates with an attack gets XP. Defending the 'lead' character doesn't do it, just being present doesn't do it. Only if the duo-attack triggers. How I've handled this is just occasionally switching the two of them for a while- with Sully and Chrom, for example, I'd switch their positions every time they went up a level(unless I had reason not to, like using a specific weapon or terrain reasons). Nobody's ended up underleveled or anything for me. Though doing side-quests is pretty important for staying ahead of the curve.
Ah, so that's what Switch is for. I've seen the option in the pop-up menu but hadn't been able to figure out when I should use that. It seems like this game wants you to always have your characters paired up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Karthe posted:

And are enemies less aggressive on Normal? This is my first Fire Emblem, so I've been playing on Normal Classic. I just completed Chapter 5 and haven't lost anyone, and I'm not sure if it's because I've figured out a good strategy (I typically move everyone together in one large group and bait individual units so they'll come to me one at a time), or if it's because enemies are less inclined to come to me.

They don't gain EXP unless they Dual Attack, but you can switch between guys as much as you like. You shouldn't have any troubles keeping people even like so.

It wasn't common early-game, but eventually enemies will be scripted to charge in groups at certain points, rather then waiting for you to bait them out. I was on Hard though.

Karthe posted:

Ah, so that's what Switch is for. I've seen the option in the pop-up menu but hadn't been able to figure out when I should use that. It seems like this game wants you to always have your characters paired up.

Pretty much, yeah. You do lose out on potential actions/bodies to close bottlenecks, but paired up characters are much stronger then unpaired.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Around what chapter did most of you start getting up to S-ranks for relationships? I'm on Chapter 8 and have only managed to get Chrom and the Avatar's pairing up to a B, with a few Cs for other pairs.

Also, does pairing up units not get them relationship points?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Behonkiss posted:

Around what chapter did most of you start getting up to S-ranks for relationships? I'm on Chapter 8 and have only managed to get Chrom and the Avatar's pairing up to a B, with a few Cs for other pairs.

Also, does pairing up units not get them relationship points?

I have two pairs of S ranks at Chapter 10 but I've been doing some side stuff too.

Paired units will build their relationships, although keep in mind that they need to actually have a support together to do it (I've had more than one pair sort of fizzle out because I forgot to actually confirm they had a support and didn't notice that I was wasting time for several maps :downs: )

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ryanbomber posted:

I have two pairs of S ranks at Chapter 10 but I've been doing some side stuff too.

Paired units will build their relationships, although keep in mind that they need to actually have a support together to do it (I've had more than one pair sort of fizzle out because I forgot to actually confirm they had a support and didn't notice :downs: )

This actually has me worried about some goodsounding units, since Supports are such a big thing in this game that they might secretly be poo poo. Namely Say'ri, Anna, and Tiki. The latter has a couple options (not many, but they're there), but the former two seem to have only the Avatar and the latter one. So... how screwed are they, really?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well... it depends on how your army is made up and who's supporting who? This isn't a game where multiple supports really matter all that much, so long as a unit has one solid support partner that they can have exclusively to themselves. If the avatar or the latter unit are free to support them, then great. If not, then... you're probably better off with someone else? It's really that simple.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
End of Chapter 21 spoilers: Okay Lucina, whatever, try and hit me. You can't even do damage to me you silly girl.

Also on flying units in combat, My Unit as a dark filer has pretty much soloed every map on hard for awhile using a tricked out spear on hard. For any bows or wind magic that hit her was just healed off by her critting on a Sol and taking all of her health back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
drat, I know I get plenty Second Seals later on, but for the time being, I can't decide what to do with the one I found on Chapter 8. Should I turn Vaike into a Barbarian? Miriel into a Dark Mage? I've been trying to train Donny up so I can switch him into a Mercenary, but the rear end in a top hat can, on average, only finish off one single enemy per map before getting obliterated by other stray units.
So many decisions!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Calaveron posted:

drat, I know I get plenty Second Seals later on, but for the time being, I can't decide what to do with the one I found on Chapter 8. Should I turn Vaike into a Barbarian? Miriel into a Dark Mage? I've been trying to train Donny up so I can switch him into a Mercenary, but the rear end in a top hat can, on average, only finish off one single enemy per map before getting obliterated by other stray units.
So many decisions!
Frederick makes a great Wyvern Knight if you level him up a bit so he isn't so ridiculously fragile.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Calaveron posted:

So many decisions!

I recommend forging an awesome weapon for him, it's the only way I could get him to kill anyone without spending a lot of effort on weakening someone first. Also you could run through the DLC over and over again but it's pretty boring.

Is there anything wrong with getting DLC Marth killed? I figure I can just re-recruit him if he bites it but I'd like confirmation.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Get Donnel up to 10 and change him.

The fun thing about changing Donnel is that Villager has absolutely horrid bases. Changing him to Merc, for example?

+2 hp, +4 str, +7 skl, +6 spd, +4 def. He'll have acceptable stats as Villager at that point thanks to Aptitude, so changing him to Merc instantly catapulted him to one of my strongest units.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Flame112 posted:

Is there anything wrong with getting DLC Marth killed? I figure I can just re-recruit him if he bites it but I'd like confirmation.

He suicided into the boss of the DLC and was immediately recruited after that battle in my game. (didn't have to beat it again or anything) So you should be just fine.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So many decisions!

Vaike can only be a Berserker if you reclass him into Barbarian.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can seven characters beat lunatic? Find out!

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

(No. The answer is no. Oh god, why do the enemies hit so hard now.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So many decisions!
Your first Second Seal (depending on Anna's shop luck, you can also get it from the Renown shop) should go to changing Donnel from a Villager to Mercenary and eventually Hero. Donny is an absolute beast.

Level 12 Hero Donnel
63 HP - 41/19/41/36/44/36/21

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

He suicided into the boss of the DLC and was immediately recruited after that battle in my game. (didn't have to beat it again or anything) So you should be just fine.

I meant after he's already in my party. Can I get him killed without losing him permanently then?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh sorry hehe. I don't know that as I haven't actually used him yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Flame112 posted:

I meant after he's already in my party. Can I get him killed without losing him permanently then?

You can always either complete the DLC again to re-recruit him at level 8, or re-summon him at his highest level from the Wireless menu. The latter takes a ton of gold, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gyoru posted:

Your first Second Seal (depending on Anna's shop luck, you can also get it from the Renown shop) should go to changing Donnel from a Villager to Mercenary and eventually Hero. Donny is an absolute beast.

Level 12 Hero Donnel
63 HP - 41/19/41/36/44/36/21

The problem here is that it's very hard to level up Donny. Playing the DLC map I can, at best, kill Eirika with him, before getting bumrushed by every Pegasus Knight and Mage around him. No matter who I pair him up with, he still goes down in two hits.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So just to be clear, DLC maps (or at least the first one) are infinitely replayable if you want to grind XP? That would be a big relief if true.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Donny gets a ton of XP from kills for the first few levels. Just use Frederick as a taxi and chaperon and feed him a few kills. Once Donny gets to level 5 or so he should be fine to actually fight, and by the time he's ready to promote he'll be a demigod. I reclassed him at 15 and promoted at around level 12 because he had 3 capped stats.

Behonkiss posted:

So just to be clear, DLC maps (or at least the first one) are infinitely replayable if you want to grind XP? That would be a big relief if true.

All DLC and SpotPass content is infinitely replayable.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
Ugh, I'm forcing myself to not reset on Hard/Classic currently. I'm on the sixth mission or so and I've lost four people. It's tearing me apart! However, I feel like I'm getting a lot better a lot faster than when I played Sacred Stones and reset after each lost unit.

I guess it'll give me a new experience when I play through again and get to try all those lost characters, haha.

EDIT:

Zurai posted:

All DLC and SpotPass content is infinitely replayable.

Hold the phone. Do I get another shot at recruiting Donny? He definitely got one shotted right off the bat. Or was that not spotpass content? How would I do this?

monkeyboydc fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 6, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

monkeyboydc posted:

Hold the phone. Do I get another shot at recruiting Donny? He definitely got one shotted right off the bat. Or was that not spotpass content?

That's not SpotPass. You have to specifically summon SpotPass characters to the world from the Wireless menu; they show up on the map like merchants but with different models. Donny's a Paralogue (sidequest), and you only get one shot at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

monkeyboydc posted:

Hold the phone. Do I get another shot at recruiting Donny? He definitely got one shotted right off the bat. Or was that not spotpass content?

Sidequests are not Spotpass content. Spotpass is the special stuff involving past Fire Emblem characters(other than the DLC which also does this).

e:f,b

• Locked thread