Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twin Cinema posted:

Just like how it's Detention (2011) and not Detention (2010).

quote:

As a killer named Cinderhella stalks the student body at the high school in Grizzly Lake

They had me at Cinderhella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I can never have enough good found footage. Here is footage that I have already found and loved:

The MacPherson Tape
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
REC
Cloverfield
Lake Mungo
The Last Exorcism
Grave Encounters
Apollo 18
V/H/S
Chronicle
End of Watch
Grave Encounters 2
V/H/S/2
Afflicted
The Den

I know some of these aren't horror, and Lake Mungo isn't actually found footage so much as a mockumentary, but this is the result of me trawling down Wikipedia's list and picking out what I've seen and enjoyed.

What additional footage do I need to seek out and hopefully find?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Angel posted:

I can never have enough good found footage. Here is footage that I have already found and loved:

The MacPherson Tape
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
REC
Cloverfield
Lake Mungo
The Last Exorcism
Grave Encounters
Apollo 18
V/H/S
Chronicle
End of Watch
Grave Encounters 2
V/H/S/2
Afflicted
The Den

I know some of these aren't horror, and Lake Mungo isn't actually found footage so much as a mockumentary, but this is the result of me trawling down Wikipedia's list and picking out what I've seen and enjoyed.

Evidence (2011) like for real real

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

They had me at Cinderhella.

Its from the guy that made Torque.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Look I just said I was sold on it, stop convincing me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I love the reference to Torque in Detention.

Jonny Angel posted:

Echoing Evidence (2011).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

The MacPherson Tape
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
REC
Cloverfield
Lake Mungo
The Last Exorcism
Grave Encounters
Apollo 18
V/H/S
Chronicle
End of Watch
Grave Encounters 2
V/H/S/2
Afflicted
The Den

AREA 407, Emergo/Apartment 143, Noroi/Occult/Shirome, Zero Day, Huck Botko's The Virginity Hit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

AREA 407, Emergo/Apartment 143, Noroi/Occult/Shirome, Zero Day, Huck Botko's The Virginity Hit

Zero day is making me make a weird face. Columbine-inspired movies never quit sit right with me, for the same reason The Sacrament falls flat: It wants to capitalize on this significant event everyone remembers but it misses anything that makes it actually interesting and just goes for the shock value and what the media reported like ten minutes after it happened. Like, I feel like I could rattle off the basic plot breakdown of Zero Day without even watching it, that's how rote it is. I mean, I'm gonna watch it, I'm just saying.

Seconding Emergo though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I can definitely tell you not to watch Unidentified, Banshee Chapter, the Conspiracy, Lunopolis , 100 Years of Evil, How to Become A Serial Killer, Mind of a Madman (or something) and Alien Abduction all on Netflix.

See rec 2 and Troll Hunter.

Don't see Bigfoot: Lost Chronicles (hulu)

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 15, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
REC 2 is ownzone.

Zero day is making me make a weird face. Columbine-inspired movies never quit sit right with me, for the same reason The Sacrament falls flat: It wants to capitalize on this significant event everyone remembers but it misses anything that makes it actually interesting and just goes for the shock value and what the media reported like ten minutes after it happened. Like, I feel like I could rattle off the basic plot breakdown of Zero Day without even watching it, that's how rote it is. I mean, I'm gonna watch it, I'm just saying.

Seconding Emergo though.

See, here's the thing about that, I like docudrama. I love United 93, as a great example. It just can't be made carelessly.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jonny Angel posted:

The MacPherson Tape
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
REC
Cloverfield
Lake Mungo
The Last Exorcism
Grave Encounters
Apollo 18
V/H/S
Chronicle
End of Watch
Grave Encounters 2
V/H/S/2
Afflicted
The Den

SMG has discussed found footage at length in this thread and has some excellent recommendations.

How is the Maniac remake?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yaws posted:

It loving rocks. I'm a huge fan of the original, and the remake is better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

I really liked it. Many did not. Requires a very strong stomach and has a very kickass soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwcZ0_5LVNQ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

REC 2 is ownzone.

See, here's the thing about that, I like docudrama. I love United 93, as a great example. It just can't be made carelessly.

I like docudrama stuff, but it's something about that specific subject that gets to me. I think it's that most of the time it sticks to the "video games and bullying and social pariahs" angle and not only is it played out but it's not how things actually went. It's like The Sacrament utterly missing what makes Jonestown interesting.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Am I in the wrong that much of the success of the remake is due to Elijah Wood? As in, I liked the remake, but mostly remember his performance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Dirties was pretty good faux-columbine, and I've really come to hate found footage movies.

Acht posted:

Am I in the wrong that much of the success of the remake is due to Elijah Wood? As in, I liked the remake, but mostly remember his performance.

Nah his performance is excellent. Much credit also goes to the cinematography, the soundtrack, and Nora Arnezeder's supporting performance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Acht posted:

His performance is quite good, but I really don't see it as the main point of awesomeness. I think the shooting style, the music, the gut-wrenching gore effects, and the ballsy nastiness of the whole thing contribute more to its success.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What's neat about his performance is he's also sort of co-cinematographer. He's moving the camera a lot of the time.

The first person thing in that movie got to the heart of the few things that work for me about found footage (the immediacy) while skipping all the crap I hate (the endless contrivances, the poo poo-ugly aesthetic, the uniform structure)

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Thanks guys I'll give it a watch. The original has a real sleazy/dirty feel to it and I was worried that the remake would be too slick.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What's neat about his performance is he's also sort of co-cinematographer. He's moving the camera a lot of the time.

The first person thing in that movie got to the heart of the few things that work for me about found footage (the immediacy) while skipping all the crap I hate (the endless contrivances, the poo poo-ugly aesthetic, the uniform structure)

Yeah, his performance required some pretty brilliant physical orchestration with the cameraman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

Thanks guys I'll give it a watch. The original has a real sleazy/dirty feel to it and I was worried that the remake would be too slick.

It's definitely a bit slicker, but in a way that makes sense and compliments the movie. Moving things from New York to LA was a great touch, I thought. It's sleazy in a different way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caiman posted:

Yeah, his performance required some pretty brilliant physical orchestration with the cameraman.

Spoiler about camera use in Maniac:
The way they pull the camera out of Elijah's POV to create the "out of body" experience Elijah's character feels when he kills a victim was fantastic.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Seconding Emergo though.

See, this is interesting, partially because I wrote a post on a Columbine inspired film recently and kind of appreciated it just for its lack of subtlety because it didn't just give us some context-less Elephant scenario and it wasn't some sugar-coated, made for tv melodrama.

I also think that, in light of E Cullen's in-depth book on Columbine, the stereotypes that were created by the media were wrong (the killer's weren't loners or picked on, for example) and I think a better, more challenging film could be made following Cullen's narrative. The media reaction to instantly label something traumatic like a school shooting as being commited by 'outsiders' - whether that's Seung-Hui Cho, Adam Lanza, Elliot Rodger etc, tends to underplay just how much alienation actually exists in that environment (and they certainly won't do any investigation into it) as well as allows a convenient way to frame the killings as an isolated almost fate-like occurrence (just "something that happens") again, without investigating the bigger issues and how they all intersect. So not just looking at mental health rates in that community, but also trying to see the bigger issues; how that community has typically dealt with ideas of masculinity or isolation for example.

The problem is that this is just not the way the news media rolls, it can't get too deep because it doesn't have the resources or time to spend in these communities getting to understand how they operate (that's the job of the writers I guess) but it would be pretty great to see a film that actually did justice to Columbine. Hopefully we will someday.

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 15, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

REC 2 is ownzone.

Rec 2 is the only movie I've ever apologized to my friends for recommending we watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Rec 2 is the only movie I've ever apologized to my friends for recommending we watch.

That's Redneck Zombies for me. Which also has my favorite IMDB trivia fact ever.

imdb posted:

Bucky Santini, who plays Fred Mertz, was once recognized by employees at a Radio Shack store who asked him for his autograph.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

harpomarxist posted:

I also think that, in light of E Cullen's in-depth book on Columbine, the stereotypes that were created by the media were wrong (the killer's weren't loners or picked on, for example) and I think a better, more challenging film could be made following Cullen's narrative.

This is basically what I want and I think so far Zero Day has come the closest to it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Kvlt! posted:

Anymore reccomendations for horror movies with romance as a major part of the plot? I'm thinking along the lines of Let Me In

People have already stated every vampire movie ever, but my favorite for the romance specifically is Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). I really like Annie Lennox's song for the film, so you might too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhG8zC4npsE

I personally have been developing a romance-horror story about a slasher-like villain, told entirely through song, but I haven't shared it here yet because... well I'm just not ready yet. :blush:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I love it, I can't help it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

REC 2 is legitimately fun. Nothing to apologize for.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's Redneck Zombies for me. Which also has my favorite IMDB trivia fact ever.

I remember owning that ones on VHS. It was my first exposure to Troma, so I had no clue what the gently caress to expect.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Redneck Zombies is a) one of the best, if not the best shot-on-video horror movies ever made, b) one of the best zombie movies ever made. I'll fight anyone via Thunderdome if they feel otherwise.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll be a dissenter on the Maniac remake. I didn't hate it, but I found the constant first-person POV tedious at a certain point I felt it took away from the characterization and Elijah Wood's performance since you couldn't see him most of the time.

This might also just be a personal thing, but I don't really find much interest in (literally) looking through the eyes of the killer. I was the type of kid who hated being the seeker when playing hide-and-seek. I might take to a movie that did first-person from the perspective of the victim, I think.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Since we are talking about found footage school shooting movies, I'd like to recommend the Dirties.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand Zero Day is probably the movie that's best captured the events leading up to Columbine and the mindset behind it (not perfectly, mind you, there's still some stuff about feeling like an outsider and a victim getting retribution) but on the other hand it's also way too on the nose and has a scene where the killer literally yell that people are idiots for blaming it on video games and blaming the parents and so on and so forth.

I guess my final verdict is "Eh"

edit My biggest complaint is that the in-school footage isn't jerky and lovely looking enough.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most people wouldn't consider Europa Report to be horror, but it scared the poo poo out of me way more than any other found footage movie I've seen recently. Some people think the climax was kind of a let down and I can understand that, but everything leading up to it was so tension filled I didn't really notice or care.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Most people wouldn't consider Europa Report to be horror, but it scared the poo poo out of me way more than any other found footage movie I've seen recently. Some people think the climax was kind of a let down and I can understand that, but everything leading up to it was so tension filled I didn't really notice or care.

I liked the found-footage parts a lot but I thought the interview scenes with Embeth Davidtz were pointless and killed the tension every time they popped up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anyone else seen FinalCut.com/Suicide? It didn't seem to catch an audience but it was kind of ok ultra-grim found footage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

penismightier posted:

Anyone else seen FinalCut.com/Suicide? It didn't seem to catch an audience but it was kind of ok ultra-grim found footage.

This? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411396/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I love it, I can't help it.

Yeah rec2 is great. It's the Aliens to Rec's Alien.

Now rec3 on the other hand.