Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I played that Orion Trail prototype, and I have to say the writing and art style were very compelling. I was sold when I tried to shoot my time clones, and one of them shot me (and the other clone) and immediately took my place, and the game continued.

I almost hate to say it, since there have been a few Oregon Trail clones lately, but I found the prototype lacking some of those gameplay choices (how fast to travel, stopping at trading posts, fording rivers, hunting minigame, etc). I hope that you can find similar additions without making them straight copies. As it stands, even with the entertaining and varied writing and art, the core gameplay loop feels somewhat monotonous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

e: "Orion Trail" is a fantastic name BTW, Orion Trail guy

Thanks buddy.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I almost hate to say it, since there have been a few Oregon Trail clones lately, but I found the prototype lacking some of those gameplay choices (how fast to travel, stopping at trading posts, fording rivers, hunting minigame, etc). I hope that you can find similar additions without making them straight copies. As it stands, even with the entertaining and varied writing and art, the core gameplay loop feels somewhat monotonous.

I totally agree. Because we only had five days to make the prototype (I know, excuses :cry:), we had to cut some features, making it feel a little flat.

We're hoping to give it a little more variety through the away missions, which put your officers (and poor redshirts) directly at risk of injury and death. We've also been discussing having space landmarks that you run into, like space stations to trade with, or an asteroid belt that is always roughly in the same section - do you ford the asteroid belt, or pay one of the miners to show you a path through it? (Never trust miners)

The approach we've been trying to take is to make it reminiscent of Oregon Trail without totally aping the mechanics, but it sounds like we could still lean on a few of those concepts.

Thanks for the feedback! Hearing about what isn't great about the game comes with the job (and is totally necessary to make games not suck), so I appreciate the honesty.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chupadupa posted:

The approach we've been trying to take is to make it reminiscent of Oregon Trail without totally aping the mechanics, but it sounds like we could still lean on a few of those concepts.
With it being sci-fi, 'hunting' should be a shmup!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

You blasted 1084710147892 pounds of Galaxians.

You could carry 25.

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You blasted 1084710147892 pounds of Galaxians.

You could carry 25.

Added bonus: the phaser cooks the meat as you hunt it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I just remembered that one of my buddies here in the Philly dev community worked as a community manager for the GameSprout project. Did you know any of them?

Totally backed Orion Trail btw, looks great.

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I just remembered that one of my buddies here in the Philly dev community worked as a community manager for the GameSprout project. Did you know any of them?

:stare:

I was actually on the GameSprout project as a pinch web programmer before getting shuffled into another project, so we were actually working together for a good chunk of time.

That's a hell of a coincidence.

edit:

Cicero posted:

The thought of an officer (or even better, redshirt) contra-ing through the wilderness is incredible

Chupadupa fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Chupadupa posted:

:stare:

I was actually on the GameSprout project as a pinch web programmer before getting shuffled into another project, so we were actually working together for a good chunk of time.

That's a hell of a coincidence.

Ha well Philly and Pittsburgh aren't too far away from each other. If you ever come out east you should stop by the Game Forge for the weekly dev night in Center City. Lots of cool people there.

What's the local scene likes in Pittsburgh?

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Friend and I played the demo six times over and I immediately backed. This is my jam.

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Ha well Philly and Pittsburgh aren't too far away from each other. If you ever come out east you should stop by the Game Forge for the weekly dev night in Center City. Lots of cool people there.

What's the local scene likes in Pittsburgh?

I totally will, that sounds rad.

Pittsburgh has a whole bunch of student groups (thanks to the countless schools here), but in terms of indies / other professionals, our studio is by far the biggest game in town. Schell also hosts a lot of the IGDA events, which are usually pretty good.

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Friend and I played the demo six times over and I immediately backed. This is my jam.

Thanks!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chupadupa posted:

The thought of an officer (or even better, redshirt) contra-ing through the wilderness is incredible
I was actually thinking more of R-Type/Gradius-style blasting space wildlife in your starfighter, but Contra works too!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I demand that development on the game proper is paused while a fully featured FPS is implemented for the hunting portion

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnonSpore posted:

I demand that development on the game proper is paused while a fully featured FPS is implemented for the hunting portion

It worked for Star Citizen

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Cornerstone is going into a small team testing phase soon, I'll be on the team. So it's not ready, but the actual full game is making progress.

Chupadupa
Mar 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

right after we implement guild banks

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Chupadupa posted:

I totally will, that sounds rad.

Pittsburgh has a whole bunch of student groups (thanks to the countless schools here), but in terms of indies / other professionals, our studio is by far the biggest game in town. Schell also hosts a lot of the IGDA events, which are usually pretty good.

Neat! I'm on the board of the Philly IGDA group so we should hook up sometime.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Chupadupa posted:

right after we implement guild banks
Player housing as a stretch goal please

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just got a backer update that Hyper Light Drifter is going to appear in Star Mazer.

They look so cute together :3:

And I didn't notice that guy next to the blob who is clearly Klingon in the previous video. Was he in there? Cool stuff.

And the girl at the bar is a twi'lek!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just got a backer update that Hyper Light Drifter is going to appear in Star Mazer.

And I didn't notice that guy next to the blob who is clearly Klingon in the previous video. Was he in there? Cool stuff.

This is adventurey pixel art done so right I wanna cry. So happy they are banking big time on KS!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahem, that's actually a Togruta, good buddy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Ahem, that's actually a Togruta, good buddy

:doh: oh my god you're right.

There goes my geek card :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr Underhill posted:

So happy they are banking big time on KS!

They're at 90k out of a 160k ask with 2 weeks to go. It's not exactly a wild success. Children of Morta did fund though, with 12 days to go, so good for them!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The manner pause :getin:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nobody cares, this isn't the right thread.

Simpsons may have used to make original work, but their last several seasons have been 99% copying things and replacing them with Simpsons characters. (If you can't understand the difference between a homage and this, then I don't know what to tell you)

Cultural references can be funny, but they are not jokes in of themselves. It used to be they'd parody something so they could make a commentary on it. Now its just carbon copies.

These guys are putting their products on the internet and asking strangers to contribute money for potentially no reward, so I think it's probably ok to debate the merits of their products. It's definitely better than turning a bad analogy into an excuse to complain about the Simpsons. But again, given that the most notable aspect of their game (and certainly the one they make the most of in their blurbs up top) is apparently traced wholesale from other sources, and their team has no established credentials, I don't think it's worth backing. Other people might be more tolerant of risk than I am, and I hope it works out for them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Haha, "This isn't the right thread to discuss a kickstarter's pathetic traced art." Good post, Zaphod42. Guess it isn't the right thread to discuss how nice the art is in Star Mazer either!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wendell posted:

Haha, "This isn't the right thread to discuss a kickstarter's pathetic traced art." Good post, Zaphod42. Guess it isn't the right thread to discuss how nice the art is in Star Mazer either!

I meant the obvious derail debate about whether tracing is art or stealing, which was kinda starting up.

If you want to say you're not backing because its traced that's cool, but leave it there eh?

His second question was about this kickstarter in particular though so I apologize for writing him off.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
They're leaning really heavily on their reference but they aren't outright breaking the law, they're just being incredibly obvious with their use of reference.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I just noticed the guy on the far, far left looks a lot like a Space Quest 4 Sequel Police android.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cosmic Afro posted:

I just noticed the guy on the far, far left looks a lot like a Space Quest 4 Sequel Police android.

I knew I recognized that character!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zaphod42 posted:

:doh: oh my god you're right.

There goes my geek card :(

And not just any Togruta either- that's Ahsoka. Who's the dude on the far right? He looks familiar.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 7, 2015

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

CommissarMega posted:

And not just any Togruta either- that's Ahsoka. Who's the dude on the far right? He looks familiar.

The main character from Hyper Light Drifter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's also Worf standing next to the blue blob at the table in the middle

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cosmic Afro posted:

That's a time pod in the background, too.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Sigma-X posted:

They're leaning really heavily on their reference but they aren't outright breaking the law, they're just being incredibly obvious with their use of reference.
On the same page you have people giving the thumbs up to an epic trek ref, this is mind boggling.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only thing that makes me apprehensive about Orion Trail is that it's so close at times that you might get into legal issues.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

A Catastrophe posted:

On the same page you have people giving the thumbs up to an epic trek ref, this is mind boggling.

If it's any consolation the "haha look at all these nerd things we too like" gif dropped my interest in Starr Mazer from passing to non-existent.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

NTRabbit posted:

That's also Worf standing next to the blue blob at the table in the middle

And the blue blob is from Monsters vs Aliens.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
So Starr Mazer's both a point-and-click and a shmup? I was about to be skeptical about how the two genres would interact but then Yahtzee punched me in the back of the head.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

MikeJF posted:

The only thing that makes me apprehensive about Orion Trail is that it's so close at times that you might get into legal issues.

If Star Command could get away with it Orion Trail probably will too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Turns out nerds like referencing things, who would have thought.