Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah so I tried on Kobe 11 elites at the Nike store and now.... I'm not so sure. It's a shame that the support is weak because its a awesome looking shoe imo. I didn't think the 2k15 hyperdunks were that comfortable either but its probably because I've been wearing the same shoe for almost 4 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Hoping I can get back on the court this week after loving up my back and taking time off

Wish me luck!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got caught with an elbow (by a good friend) square in the bridge of the nose tonight. Broke my nose (for the 4th time) and split the skin on the bridge of my nose. One more scar to add to the collection!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Last night I thumbed myself in the eye pretty hard trying to adjust to a tipped pass and man does it suck

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I got elbowed in the eye the day before I graduated from college because some dude was trying too hard to grab a reboard from me. It ruined my dang grad photos.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone have any advice on getting quicker, specifically on separation moves like step backs or first steps? I feel like I play with one gear and I just can't really get consistent separation that I would like.

I'm thinking of adding suicides and box jumps, but I don't know if that's the best way.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting quicker, specifically on separation moves like step backs or first steps? I feel like I play with one gear and I just can't really get consistent separation that I would like.

I'm thinking of adding suicides and box jumps, but I don't know if that's the best way.

Most of being a 'quick' ball handler is being really good with the ball, not necessarily how physically quick you are. Even un-athletic stiffs can pull off nice moves that get them separation if they have good handles, so probably the easiest way to get better at this is to work on your ball-handling. The physical quickness thing is largely genetic (you can work on some stuff of course, but no matter how much you hit the gym, you're not going to weight train your way to being Russel Westbrook or prime Derrick Rose), but ball-handling is 100% a learned skill. Try to get good at a couple moves, to the point that you're nearly as fast making a move with the ball as you would be if you were doing it without the ball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's also largely about deception. If you start leaning one direction before trying to make a move, which I see a lot from people who don't even know they're doing it, or if you only turn your body in a certain way or dribble with your off hand or whatever right before you're about to make a move, that can be a dead giveaway

A friend of mine had this thing where if you were out on the perimeter and reached for the ball while it was in his right, he would 100% of the time swing it around behind his back and attack with his left, and it took about 50 stolen balls before I finally broke down and told him what I was doing. I wouldn't even have to wait for him to make the move, just weakly reach out toward the ball and then immediately break for his left side

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

iamsosmrt posted:

Box jumps are for power drills and could help you. Box jumps in general are a fantastic work out for basketball. Suicides, 3 cone drills, T drills, and shuttles in general can help and are good for cardio. Just dribbling a basketball and changing directions with more burst is fine as well.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks, appreciate the suggestions. I'm not familiar with T Drills and shuttles, but I'll look them up later. I feel like I'm far below my speed potential right now (been focusing a lot on weight lifting over the holidays) so at the very least, I want to see an improvement in my mobility and endurance.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Oh man oh man it's starting to look springy in my land, and that means outdoor pickup. I just bought some D Rose 5s in the white/speckled grey cause they were cheap and seemed to tick all the boxes, and I can't wear brightly colored shoes as I am almost 30 and just who would I think I am? I'm not sure how they will hold up durability-wise, but I like 'em so far. Last time I had a new pair of basketball kicks not from a second hand store was like, 2000 so this is fuckin amazing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Brolander posted:

Oh man oh man it's starting to look springy in my land, and that means outdoor pickup. I just bought some D Rose 5s in the white/speckled grey cause they were cheap and seemed to tick all the boxes, and I can't wear brightly colored shoes as I am almost 30 and just who would I think I am? I'm not sure how they will hold up durability-wise, but I like 'em so far. Last time I had a new pair of basketball kicks not from a second hand store was like, 2000 so this is fuckin amazing.

I have a pair of these and I love them. A good purchase!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I would say that the most important thing with dribbling is to have confidence and keep the ball away from your body. People who don't trust their dribble use their dominant hand inside, but if you keep the ball outside and practice enough to be able to dribble behind your back, no one will be able to take it to you. Also, the only way to get enough separation from your defender to actually get past them is to control the ball outside of their body. This being the case, don't practice dribbling with the ball in front of you, practice keeping the ball controlled outside of your base with both hands, without looking, and moving the ball side to side as quickly as possible.

iamsosmrt posted:

Your step back is all about your first step/ability to get the defender going backwards, which is all about handle and aggressiveness. Just do like Chris Paul does, send all your momentum forwards until the guy has to defend you, throw him to the right when he catches up to you, and slide step back after throwing him. But in all seriousness, work on going full speed, taking a slide step, and going into a shot and you'll have a great stepback.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RCarr posted:

I have a pair of these and I love them. A good purchase!

Yeah, played for about 90 minutes today in them and seemed comfy and supportive. Last time I tried to play in my old shoes I couldn't walk for two days afterward.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Your step back is all about your first step/ability to get the defender going backwards, which is all about handle and aggressiveness. Just do like Chris Paul does, send all your momentum forwards until the guy has to defend you, throw him to the right when he catches up to you, and slide step back after throwing him. But in all seriousness, work on going full speed, taking a slide step, and going into a shot and you'll have a great stepback.

Progress report: Step back is still pretty garbage. But I've generally gotten my dribble and footspeed up. It's helped a lot that my behind the back dribble is becoming very reliable. Overall I'm still mostly keeping a lot of moves i'm working on as mostly in practice only, or maybe a few plays a night. For the most part I try to play to my strengths--setting good pick and pop screens, shooting open 3s, and generally steady ball control (if I'm playing point).

Anyone have advice on improving teardrops/floaters? Is that just a practice and feel for the game type of thing? If I don't swish them, I usually get a pretty unfavorable bounce.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

if you want to be able to practice something re: step backs, work on moving backwards into a shooting position with the ball. Like just start somewhere on the court with your dribble and slide step back to the other end. All that poo poo is about getting coordinated enough with your ball and your body so that you can make the movement quickly and with little thought.

For floaters, make sure that the ball is rotating off your fingers with vertical spin, you really want to loving SNAP your wrist when you shoot it so it'll linger on the rim. I assume that yours are coming off because there's a bit of side spin on the ball.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm a substitute teacher and I've always played at the VFW courts behind the high school so it's weird running into kids from my classes now. Schooled a bunch of middle schoolers yesterday that I taught music to a week ago and then later that night a bunch of high schoolers I recognized from my social studies class were playing against me and being total little shits. YOU DON'T SET MOVING SCREENS, KIDS. gently caress IF I LET YOU TEXT IN CLASS TOMORROW

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I fumbled with a pass on a fast break and ended up having to try to finger roll over the front iron instead of a normal layup and I swear I've never dropped a ball in softer and had it fly further off the back of the rim. It was unreal, it shot out like a cannon

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

I'm a substitute teacher and I've always played at the VFW courts behind the high school so it's weird running into kids from my classes now. Schooled a bunch of middle schoolers yesterday that I taught music to a week ago and then later that night a bunch of high schoolers I recognized from my social studies class were playing against me and being total little shits. YOU DON'T SET MOVING SCREENS, KIDS. gently caress IF I LET YOU TEXT IN CLASS TOMORROW

Owns

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Doltos posted:

Did you own any of them in response? Generally, kids play extra aggressive when they run into teachers they don't really expect to ball, let alone be pretty good. You get the biggest show of respect once you prove your dominance over a bunch of pimple faced teens, especially if they're trying really hard to stop you.

On floaters, I'm not sure if I'm getting any real spin on it. Basically what I see from people with "good" floaters is even when they're slightly short or even long, the ball just takes a softer roll or bounce that brings it back into the hoop. When I'm short, the ball just clanks off altogether. But yeah, I'll try to snap the wrist more, that might actually do it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

On floaters, I'm not sure if I'm getting any real spin on it. Basically what I see from people with "good" floaters is even when they're slightly short or even long, the ball just takes a softer roll or bounce that brings it back into the hoop. When I'm short, the ball just clanks off altogether. But yeah, I'll try to snap the wrist more, that might actually do it.
Snapping your wrist/ letting the ball roll forward off your fingers (thats really important, you want the ball to roll completely straight, if its coming off the side of your hand, it actually makes shooting more difficult) is how you generate the rotation that keeps the ball on the rim and it forces you to shoot with additional power so your ball is coming with the right angle and spin to stick on the rim when you're short.

If you shoot with deadspin, like brook lopez (put shot technique), its like you're playing on double rims all the time

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's a good way at looking at it. I was gonna say I feel like classic Shaq free throws when I'm putting them up. This will def. take a lot of new muscle memory to get used to.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

iamsosmrt posted:

Did you own any of them in response? Generally, kids play extra aggressive when they run into teachers they don't really expect to ball, let alone be pretty good. You get the biggest show of respect once you prove your dominance over a bunch of pimple faced teens, especially if they're trying really hard to stop you.

Agreed. Throw elbows with extreme prejudice, you want the children to fear you

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Doltos is way too short to own his kids. I'm tall enough and still fast enough to own mine, but only for a game or two. Then their unnatural kid endurance kicks in while my old man shitter joints go on strike!

I'd rather play with the HS kids most of the time than the mens league dropout open Y guys though. The kids will try to stay in front of you or just let you go by, the big dudes taught me not to euro in the lane by clotheslining. Plus the best shooter I know is 12 years old.

Shoe talk: kobe 11s are the best shoe ever created. Try em on for size- I figure at my age if I roll my ankle I'm wrecked anyway, so bring on the comfy lows.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I'm 5'9 and I've been school by kids as young as 14. Trust me, you don't realize how big HS kids are until you go back and walk through the halls during a break between classes. Not to mention a few years back when I first started playing on the VFW courts my HS produced a kid that was going to a competitive D1 school. Must have been 6'5 and could dunk easily.

But anyway with these kids I just play good D and pull off some of the handles I've been practicing before I pass the ball. The middle schoolers get no mercy tho.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

GrahamBLY posted:

Shoe talk: kobe 11s are the best shoe ever created. Try em on for size- I figure at my age if I roll my ankle I'm wrecked anyway, so bring on the comfy lows.

Tell me more. The 6s are my favorite shoe ever, but obviously long gone. They had that sock like fit and were low to the ground. I have some 10s and I hate them. Big pillowy cushion and I swear I shoot drastically worse in them.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

havelock posted:

Tell me more. The 6s are my favorite shoe ever, but obviously long gone.

Long gone for you maybe. I still have a pair of these in the China colorway, and they're still in pretty great condition (since I hardly ball anymore and only busted them out for crucial rec league playoff games back then):

They really are fantastic ball kicks, probably my fave performance-wise.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Yeah I'm 5'9 and I've been school by kids as young as 14. Trust me, you don't realize how big HS kids are until you go back and walk through the halls during a break between classes. Not to mention a few years back when I first started playing on the VFW courts my HS produced a kid that was going to a competitive D1 school. Must have been 6'5 and could dunk easily.

I decided to try pickup at the Y and it was nothing but 16-17 year olds with arms as long as my legs throwing down dunks or doing crazy crossover drives. I retreated back to an older crowd after that

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Intruder posted:

I decided to try pickup at the Y and it was nothing but 16-17 year olds with arms as long as my legs throwing down dunks or doing crazy crossover drives. I retreated back to an older crowd after that

I can't stand trying to play with high school kids because of these same reasons and, this is going to sound all fogeyish, but they all think they're Steph - just pull up threes all over the place. Also their games always turn into all running.

I was considering buying some Kobe 11s when they get cheaper. I love my pair of low 10s. The 11s look great and look like good hooping shoes.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I ended up getting these for league play. :getin:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

JRizzle posted:

I can't stand trying to play with high school kids because of these same reasons and, this is going to sound all fogeyish, but they all think they're Steph - just pull up threes all over the place. Also their games always turn into all running.

I was considering buying some Kobe 11s when they get cheaper. I love my pair of low 10s. The 11s look great and look like good hooping shoes.

I know, Grandpa, that sucks.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Boosh! posted:

Long gone for you maybe. I still have a pair of these in the China colorway, and they're still in pretty great condition (since I hardly ball anymore and only busted them out for crucial rec league playoff games back then):

They really are fantastic ball kicks, probably my fave performance-wise.

I have 2 pair that haven't totally self destructed, but the cushioning is shot. I played in them last night and my knees hurt this morning. I think I ended up buying 4 or 5 pairs of these while they were out and those 2 are the only ones left.

I need to know what is most like them :(

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Intruder posted:

The last time I played at a Y I got dunked on and some kid cleared right over my head Vince Carter style. Later on a dude yelled at me in another language after I hit a three on him, then he tried to have his son fight me. I was like nineteen and the kid was a freshman.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Regnevelc posted:

I know, Grandpa, that sucks.

I'm not even old, dagnabbit! I'm in my dang mid 20s still, but it's super frustrating to play (hilarious to watch).

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 24, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I actually had one of those steph curry kids at my university today but he was overall a great teammate that was calling out lane assignments and feeding the ball everywhere when he wasn't jacking half court 3's

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm 31.5 years old, unfit and 5'6, but I find myself very competitive with teens up through the age of 15 or so when I play at the Y. Then they mostly sprout up to like 6'0+ and I'm no longer even worth playing against.

Still, I always find it interesting to use myself as a general gauge for the young guys for those who have "it" and those who don't. I find a lot of them talk about getting into the NBA or whatever, but I figure if I'm still beating them at 14 then they better stay hitting the books much harder.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Kobe 6s were awesome but yeah I can't pay collector prices for ball shoes.
10s are god awful. SO MUCH PLASTIC. It's just fuse on fuse, it's nasty and I have no idea how they are so expensive. Giant platform actually strained my feet when I was trying to break them in instead of breaking them in. I went through a bunch and kept 2 pairs, an elite low (woven upper) which fits great but you're still on top of that giant sole, and a normal X in sprite because it looks awesome and I wear them to work and around, I just can't play ball in them. Can't play ball in a premier player model that retailed for 180. That makes sense, Nike!

11s are amazing. They really took it back in the direction of the 9s (I'm not sure kobe ever wore a pair of 10s that weren't heavily modified in the sole and his were all woven). The look is more classic and the flyknit is great. I kinda sound like a Nike shill here (even though I sorta am) but it's the best shoe I've worn to play in, ever. They are a little limited on colorways (which are mostly real ugly), but they are really, really great. Super expensive, but if you don't pay retail or don't care about money they are the best. No more giant cushion, you're back right on the floor with heel zoom standard and you can ID in a full length zoom.

KD8 are pretty good too and they are under 99 now, everyone but me loves the zoom soldier 9 (no break in time, double strap, safest shoe ever made, hope you can move at all in it!) also at 99, and my personal dark horse sneaker pick is the kobe venomenon 5 which is the most comfortable shoe i've ever worn. I think they are all deadstock now and doesn't look like they're going to a 6. It's an all mesh shoe with dual zoom, I have a bunch of pairs for everyday work and gym and ball, my gf HATES them and says they are horribly ugly but I think they look fine and they are seriously the most comfortable shoe of any style I have ever worn in my life, all hyperbole aside! You should be able to find them at footlocker or something and try them on before they get phased out, I think they retailed at 129 but I bought a couple pairs from FL cheaper than my endorser could get them to me because of closeout. Try em!

This is a great time to sneakerwhore because all the old stuff is rolling over as lots of new stuff comes out. Grab that old stuff for 55% off.. just not kobe X.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

I ended up getting these for league play. :getin:

Awesome shoes, weak socks!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the kd's hurt my feet and feel cheap. i've worn a ton of kicks, but the only ones I truly enjoy balling in are the hyperdunks and Jordan XIIIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

GrahamBLY posted:

Kobe 6s were awesome but yeah I can't pay collector prices for ball shoes.
10s are god awful. SO MUCH PLASTIC. It's just fuse on fuse, it's nasty and I have no idea how they are so expensive. Giant platform

11s are amazing.
KD8 are pretty good too
kobe venomenon 5 which is the most comfortable shoe i've ever worn.

Thanks for all of this. I'll give these a shot.

• Locked thread