Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Tonight was an experiment. Chilean sea bass cooked sous vide in duck fat on top of quinoa with parmigiano reggiano topped with a spicy chimichurri. The "scales" are thinly sliced zucchini blanced in salt water with a few drops of fish oil. It was pretty drat good for a first attempt.

That looks amazing.

Also I have to stop looking at this thread when I'm hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

goddamn right

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's like seeing the face of God.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yes

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Tonight was an experiment. Chilean sea bass cooked sous vide in duck fat on top of quinoa with parmigiano reggiano topped with a spicy chimichurri. The "scales" are thinly sliced zucchini blanced in salt water with a few drops of fish oil. It was pretty drat good for a first attempt.

oh yes indeed

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Made some stew, came out nice.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PatMarshall posted:

Made some stew, came out nice.

SeriousEats?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rurutia posted:

That doesn't make them any less 'proper chopsticks' just cause they're cheap hahaha. Most of the time when I see the indented ones, they're used for cooking tbh. I've never seen a family use the indented ones mostly because everyone just buys the huge packs of cheap ones that have pretty nice slick comfortable wood.

Yeah I've lived in China and Korea and have never seen chopsticks with indents or the sandpapery ones. The ridged ones I've only seen at souvenir shops.

Anyway there are multiple styles, try them all and find the ones you're most comfortable with. I like the pointy Japanese type best.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

SeriousEats?

Yep, great recipe.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Mmm pie

Rhubarb strawberry

Garbage

Lasagne

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Smitten Kitchen Rhubarb and Almond Picnic Bars

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I might just be drunk but could you post a pic of an individual bar? Curious how those get divided.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

VelociBacon posted:

I might just be drunk but could you post a pic of an individual bar? Curious how those get divided.

I cut mine into three columns then across, which would have worked better if I had put the whole thing in the freezer for a couple of hours before but still turned out ok. Basically as she says in the recipe notes, the colder the better before you cut it.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/05/almond-rhubarb-picnic-bars/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Falafel, habanero onion jam, tzatziki

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

sweat poteto posted:

Falafel, habanero onion jam, tzatziki

drat that looks good. Now I know what I'm doing when my habanero plant produces.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

Not a great photo, but I made sweet potato salad with a guajillo vinaigrette on verdolagas for a cookout. It was awesome.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Smashburg life :black101:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sourdough baking adventures continue. This is my 3rd attempt at biscuits and the first with some rise to them. The flavor is quite good, but the fluffiness still isn't there yet.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

Sourdough baking adventures continue. This is my 3rd attempt at biscuits and the first with some rise to them. The flavor is quite good, but the fluffiness still isn't there yet.

Keep at it, you'll get there. I'd happily eat one of those biscuits, fluffy or not.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Stringent posted:

I once heard a story from Alton Brown about him trying to recreate his grandmothers biscuits and no matter how exact he could make it , he could never get the fluffiness. Until one day he just asked her to make them for him so he could watch, and he discovered that due to her arthritis she could not use her fingers to knead the dough, just the general palm of her hands.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well, I'll get it eventually.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bob_McBob posted:

Smashburg life :black101:

Nice work!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

If that's garbage then just call me the garbage collector :love:

Cheating a bit as it wasn't last night by a long shot. A few months ago some nice GWS people helped me with butchering/preparing a rabbit for the first time. Thanks to them, I turned this:

into this:

I wished I'd had a bone saw, it was a bit of a bloodbath (for a wimp such as myself), wasn't too keen on ripping out heart and lungs etc., but not too bad for babby's first butchery!

Tried a slow-cooked confit-ish recipe with rosemary (as I have a mountain of it growing), olive oil, garlic (shitloads) and white wine and I have to say that, despite the recipe's claims of "I know 500ml of olive oil for one small rabbit seems excessive but just trust us!", that was too much drat oil. Look at this slick:

But! The meat was really fall-off-the-bone™ tender and tasty. I wouldn't go out of my way to make/have rabbit again but am glad I finally tried it. Strangely far less gamey than I had expected. With sautéed spuds, obvs.

Far better was the rabbit liver pâté (the culprit peeking on bottom left on the butchery picture):

Yes, I did cheat on the toast but I was eager to try it dammit!

Was super-rich and delicious (the cognac definitely didn't hurt either).

In recent futzing around, I've not much of a sweet tooth, but was given a load of cooking apples and clementines from friends of family with orchards (lucky bastards :argh: ) and I hate to waste things so...

Clementine possets:

Old Skool but surprisingly easy to make (I was convinced a posset surely had gelatine in, but no - it sets that way through witchcraft). And you have to love that natural colour :) Would and will make again and again.

And for the apples, apple & cornflake pots (which are so much kiddie-food it may as well be a kids' recipe...apart from that whole burning hot syrup/sugar/butter element). We adults ate them with no shame :colbert:

Apologies for ramble-post. Haven't contributed in a while but love seeing all the great stuff you lot do :cheers: and being jealous

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Bonus double-post of pretension. You know those youtube videos and the like where everybody is so keen to put smartypants books that they probably have never read in the very obvious background? My attempt:

My mum picked that up in a charity shop and threw it my way and it seemed like the perfect contrast to peasant food in the foreground. Either way, leftover roast turkey (yes, I am cooking turkey in the middle of summer on a non-holiday) combined with pancetta/garlic/onion/peas/heavy cream/parmesan and pasta is great and I should remember that for next Thanksgiving/Christmas. Not just for sandwiches!

e: I may have been a bit tipsy when I thought the book shot was a good plan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

drat, I really need to make a good pasta like that sometime. I haven't had that in a while. You got a recipe?

In other news, I tried broiling a steak today! It came out pretty nice, nice pink center and a hell of a lot of juice. Enough to do something with, actually - shame that I don't have any gelatin or anything, or I could attempt a pan sauce again. :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Peruvian roast chicken with potatoes, green beans, and jalapeño sauce. I'm only just starting to actually cook fancier poo poo and this was the first meal I did where I was really happy with how I plated it :shobon:
in celebration of that, I took a really lovely photo that didn't really show the plating

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Peruvian roast chicken with potatoes, green beans, and jalapeño sauce. I'm only just starting to actually cook fancier poo poo and this was the first meal I did where I was really happy with how I plated it :shobon:
in celebration of that, I took a really lovely photo that didn't really show the plating

Looks like someone has Blue Apron :pwn:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Lol
Something about the "chicken cordon bleu hobby kit" in Fight Club.

Gotta start somewhere though! I'd eat it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks like someone has Blue Apron :pwn:

It gives me poo poo to cook I never would have otherwise, but yeah I totally deserve to get bashed.
Tastes good, that's all that matters to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's probably not a bad place to start from.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dude I only know cause I made the same thing. I'm not knocking it. I like their stuff.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

franco posted:

In recent futzing around, I've not much of a sweet tooth, but was given a load of cooking apples and clementines from friends of family with orchards (lucky bastards :argh: ) and I hate to waste things so...

Clementine possets:

Old Skool but surprisingly easy to make (I was convinced a posset surely had gelatine in, but no - it sets that way through witchcraft). And you have to love that natural colour :) Would and will make again and again.

What is this sorcery! Just cream, sugar and citrus juice? mind blown, how have I not heard of this before

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Spaced God posted:

It gives me poo poo to cook I never would have otherwise, but yeah I totally deserve to get bashed.
Tastes good, that's all that matters to me.

It looks fine. Well executed. It was funny to me, googling it and finding pictures that look exactly like it - something dystopian about it.

I'm imagining sitting at a gray plastic table where everyone is wearing the same clothes and has the same haircut and the exact same plate of food, right down to the number of beans. I ask what the sauce is for and the others look at each other like the "he doesn't know what the three shells are for?" scene in demolition man.

Good job expanding your repertoire and don't get discouraged by us weirdos.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Peruvian style chicken is awesome, Blue Apron or not.

I'm a huge fan of Kenji's recipe- http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html. It's pretty drat easy and really impressive when you have folks over to grill.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

drat, I really need to make a good pasta like that sometime. I haven't had that in a while. You got a recipe?

Sure! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkeywithbaconpeasa_14227

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

First try at shakshuka! Came out reasonably, just onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pure red chili powder. The egg yolk broke a little but was a hair runny at the end and I suck at cracking eggs so that's fine.

I think some more spices of some sorts would be good, any other tips? Cooking for one is a *little* sad, but my wife hates stewed tomato dishes of pretty much all sorts.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

silvergoose posted:

First try at shakshuka! Came out reasonably, just onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pure red chili powder. The egg yolk broke a little but was a hair runny at the end and I suck at cracking eggs so that's fine.

I think some more spices of some sorts would be good, any other tips? Cooking for one is a *little* sad, but my wife hates stewed tomato dishes of pretty much all sorts.

Cumin. Paprika. Lots of both. I also put in a red bell pepper, and either serranos or jalapenos.

Also, divorce.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Got some incredible fresh red shrimp from the local farmer's market yesterday along with some good veggies and just drat

Top: roasted leeks with kosher salt, black pepper, and herbed (garlic, sage, rosemary) clarified butter

Bottom: Shrimp, peppered bacon, heirloom tomatoes, garlic chives, small amount of garlic-infused olive oil

Quick plating because it was too good to let sit!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Midniter posted:

Cumin. Paprika. Lots of both. I also put in a red bell pepper, and either serranos or jalapenos.

Also, divorce.

lol I'm fine making it just for myself and any children who happen to like it.

Yeah I'm seeing adding cumin seeds and toasting them, then adding the onions and such. Paprika vs smoked paprika vs pure red chili? And yeah I'll probably try to grab a bell pepper next I go food shopping, this was "what do I even have that works in this". Thanks!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

silvergoose posted:

lol I'm fine making it just for myself and any children who happen to like it.

Yeah I'm seeing adding cumin seeds and toasting them, then adding the onions and such. Paprika vs smoked paprika vs pure red chili? And yeah I'll probably try to grab a bell pepper next I go food shopping, this was "what do I even have that works in this". Thanks!

I use smoked paprika almost exclusively instead of paprika because it's awesome. But depends if you want a smoky flavor or not. I also use fire-roasted tomatoes in my shakshuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I use smoked paprika, toasted cumin seeds and cayenne pepper.

Also substituted the onion for fennel as I have reflux and it worked surprisingly well.

• Locked thread