Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In MA, restaurants now how to post a vague warning to "ask your server" about potential allergens.

The Health Inspector was breaking our balls over it: since it's not on the printed menus, she demanded that TWO signs (of at least letter sized paper) be posted inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

In MA, restaurants now how to post a vague warning to "ask your server" about potential allergens.

The Health Inspector was breaking our balls over it: since it's not on the printed menus, she demanded that TWO signs (of at least letter sized paper) be posted inside.

Does that mean they believe there are people with actual diagnosed allergies out there who won't ask if the food they are buying has the potential to kill them unless they read a warning about it?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DekeThornton posted:

Does that mean they believe there are people with actual diagnosed allergies out there who won't ask if the food they are buying has the potential to kill them unless they read a warning about it?

Remember this doesn't work on the scale of "what's reasonable for an individual person", it works on the basis of "what minimizes damage on the scale of hundreds of millions of people, even if the individuals affected are the stupidest one in ten million".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Waci posted:

Remember this doesn't work on the scale of "what's reasonable for an individual person", it works on the basis of "what minimizes damage on the scale of hundreds of millions of people, even if the individuals affected are the stupidest one in ten million".
There are not hundreds of millions of people in the US with food allergies.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

DekeThornton posted:

there are definitely people out there who might not realize peanut oil is a thing, etc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In all my time serving, I've been asked about allergens twice, both right when I first interacted with the customers. Both actually had to do with the deep fryers: one was allergic to shellfish, so was wondering how we cooked ours (deep fried), and the other was "what oil do you use in the fryers?" (because of a peanut oil allergy). I've had a few people go "oh, I can't eat your bread, so I won't order any" (because gluten, for whatever reason), so at least they aren't asking us "DO YOU HAVE GLUTEN FREE BREAD? :byodood:"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Here is the official MA rule:

quote:

All restaurants, including those with menus and menu boards, are required to include the following statement on all menus.

Before placing your order, please inform your server if anyone in your party has a food allergy

Details:
http://www.themassrest.org/allergens.html

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

iospace posted:

In all my time serving, I've been asked about allergens twice, both right when I first interacted with the customers. Both actually had to do with the deep fryers: one was allergic to shellfish, so was wondering how we cooked ours (deep fried), and the other was "what oil do you use in the fryers?" (because of a peanut oil allergy). I've had a few people go "oh, I can't eat your bread, so I won't order any" (because gluten, for whatever reason), so at least they aren't asking us "DO YOU HAVE GLUTEN FREE BREAD? :byodood:"

yeah, in my experience, anyone who has a legit allergy is smart enough to state it up front and ask those types of questions. They have a decent idea of things they can and cannot eat at restaurants, know that fryers can be dangerous, etc.

the dumb ones were almost always no gluten types. A few weeks ago, I was out, and this table couldn't wrap their head around why the restaurant couldn't magically make prepped food gluten free.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There is a non-trivial amount of will it takes me to not ask the gluten free crowd "Did you actually get diagnosed or did you read something online and went 'THAT'S ME!'" or went to 5 doctors to finally get the diagnosis they wanted, either or.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my parents got a genetic test to confirm they should be gluten free :downs:

Ordering at a restaurant was so absurd with all their bullshit dietary restrictions that they were ultimately flexible with that I will not go out with them again unless they already know the item they'll order.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We sell a fair amount of gluten free pizza, but a lot of customers have a hard time understanding that not all of the toppings are GF. Like the pesto sauce, and the tortilla strips (that go on the taco pizza). Often times, an electronic order will come in, and we will have to call and explain that the toppings that they want aren't gluten free... and most of the time, they say "no problem, that's what I want".

After paying an extra 4 bucks for a 12-inch gluten-free pizza crust. :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Half the problem is people are convinced that gluten = bad in a way similar to fat, for whatever reason, and that ok, some is fine. When in reality it's entirely fine, unless you have celiac disease.

What I'm saying is Doctor Oz needs to be taken off the air yesterday.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

We sell a fair amount of gluten free pizza, but a lot of customers have a hard time understanding that not all of the toppings are GF. Like the pesto sauce, and the tortilla strips (that go on the taco pizza). Often times, an electronic order will come in, and we will have to call and explain that the toppings that they want aren't gluten free... and most of the time, they say "no problem, that's what I want".

After paying an extra 4 bucks for a 12-inch gluten-free pizza crust. :psyduck:

My son is coeliac and I'd never order him a GF pizza because there is so much flour around from regular pizzas that's there's no way it wouldn't be significantly contaminated. We buy ready-made GF pizza bases and make them at home instead.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

iospace posted:

bad in a way similar to fat

even fat isn't really bad tho

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squashy Nipples posted:

We sell a fair amount of gluten free pizza, but a lot of customers have a hard time understanding that not all of the toppings are GF. Like the pesto sauce

Did you just add wheat for fun? :psyduck:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have some trinidad scorps I want to make into a hot sauce. I already have a big batch of Kung Pao (thai bird type cultivar) / habanero general purpose sauce that has a bit of garlic. any suggestions for what to do with scorps? maybe a jerk style thing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Simmer them in neutral oil and make scorpion oil.

I'm not sure what you'd use scorpion oil for, but it sounds cool.

Scorpion oil.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

ulmont posted:

I always thought that cheap sauces used wheat as a light thickener, or something to keep it shelf stable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac and I'd never order him a GF pizza because there is so much flour around from regular pizzas that's there's no way it wouldn't be significantly contaminated. We buy ready-made GF pizza bases and make them at home instead.

I remember when people got excited that Hungry Howie's had gluten-free crust

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love gluten and will gladly take all the gluten that other people don't want. Give me all the gluten.

If I ever developed a sensitivity to it or was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I'm not saying I'd put a gun in my mouth, but it would cross my mind.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ulmont posted:

It's a pizza shop, nothing is actually cooked on premises (except for the burgers). So the premade sauce has a gluten warning on the label, I never thought that much about it.

Jyrraeth posted:

I always thought that cheap sauces used wheat as a light thickener, or something to keep it shelf stable.

Yeah, probably something like this.

therattle posted:

He'd probably be OK with the Unchained Pizza Gluten-Free pizza. The crusts come frozen, with each on in their own aluminum baking tin, so they don't touch the inside of the oven. And then the boss has strict rules: GF pizzas are prepared away from the pizza tossing area, and you can only use unopened containers of sauce and cheese. Finally, there is a separate pizza wheel that is only used on GF pizza (white handle, not black). The boss man is really strict about this.

Still... I've suggested that this might not be enough for someone who actually has coeliac, and he got angry with me. So now, when someone asks, we explain all the measures we go through, but reiterate that we make no guarantees. Thankfully, no one has complained.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

I remember when people got excited that Hungry Howie's had gluten-free crust

Hungry Howie's is the best lovely pizza. They are legit as hell about their flavored sauce bread. Yeah it's fluffy tinny face-shoving food, eat it fatty. Hell yes we will put ranch dressing on the crust if you pay us.

I wish them and 5 Guys served beer, then I would be junk food happy forever.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
5 Guys sucks tho

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

5 Guys sucks tho

true facts

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaIoH6Um60

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

iospace posted:

Half the problem is people are convinced that gluten = bad in a way similar to fat, for whatever reason, and that ok, some is fine. When in reality it's entirely fine, unless you have celiac disease.

What I'm saying is Doctor Oz needs to be taken off the air yesterday.

Every now and then I search for health and weight loss tips. Oh, so I can eat as much as I want as long as it's meat, eh? And if I drink pomegranate juice with it I can prevent cancer? Then I look at the URL and gently caress me it's Dr Mercola.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's a pizza shop, nothing is actually cooked on premises (except for the burgers). So the premade sauce has a gluten warning on the label, I never thought that much about it.

Yeah, probably something like this.

He'd probably be OK with the Unchained Pizza Gluten-Free pizza. The crusts come frozen, with each on in their own aluminum baking tin, so they don't touch the inside of the oven. And then the boss has strict rules: GF pizzas are prepared away from the pizza tossing area, and you can only use unopened containers of sauce and cheese. Finally, there is a separate pizza wheel that is only used on GF pizza (white handle, not black). The boss man is really strict about this.

Still... I've suggested that this might not be enough for someone who actually has coeliac, and he got angry with me. So now, when someone asks, we explain all the measures we go through, but reiterate that we make no guarantees. Thankfully, no one has complained.

Your boss takes it seriously. I'd probably get pizza from there. The only risk is human; people just not being careful enough. It can happen so easily, without any malice. People with coeliac disease can react to as little as 20ppm gluten.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

5 Guys sucks tho

Better than In and Out

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That Works posted:

Better than In and Out

lol lookit how wrong this guy is

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like In N Out too, but we don't have them on this coast. So Five Guys and it's free peanuts reigns burger supreme when I'm wanting a burger that's not a Bubba off my own grill or my own smashburger when I feel like dealing with that.

Bubba Burgers are good tho when you don't want to make your own. Hot and fast!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol lookit how wrong this guy is

In and Out is Wendys with a longer line.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wendy's is quite variable. I still remember one Wendy's burger I got in the sticks that was very good. I suppose you just need to find a town where it's the main restaurant.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Wendy's is quite variable. I still remember one Wendy's burger I got in the sticks that was very good. I suppose you just need to find a town where it's the main restaurant.

Yeah I like Wendys. I liked In and Out too but neither justifies any sort of hype. In and Out was probably the biggest hype:letdown ratio I've had in a long time. I thought Five guys was better than either. But it's all still not Whataburger.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That Works posted:

Yeah I like Wendys. I liked In and Out too but neither justifies any sort of hype. In and Out was probably the biggest hype:letdown ratio I've had in a long time. I thought Five guys was better than either. But it's all still not Whataburger.

Whataburger def better than 5 guys. Srynotsry

It's all fast food though. Getting hyped about fast food is kind of silly imo

As far as fast food burgers goes, shake shack wins, followed by smash, then in n out, whataburg, five guys

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Whataburger def better than 5 guys. Srynotsry

I'm just glad that others can recognize Whataburger supremacy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Whataburger > 5 Guys > Cookout > Wendys

In 'n Out is a west coast myth that probably sucks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Comparing In 'n' Out to Five Guys is kind of pointless. In 'n' Out is the McDonald's/Burger King burger perfected: good ingredients cooked well for not much money. Five Guys has a totally different business model and totally different burgers. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be In 'n' Out, but I just don't like Five Guys very much. I don't like their buns, they smash a finished burger and then put it in the bottom of the bag so it steams, and even if you're eating there they won't just let it be - they have some sort of rule about wrapping foil tightly around the burger and putting it in the bag before serving it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

I'm just glad that others can recognize Whataburger supremacy.

Whataburger is the coward burger chain - no presence in CA recently despite having twice the total amount of stores In-n-Out has, in Texas alone. This is probably because Whataburger tried to have a presence in CA before but shut down their locations down due to having terrible burgers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In-n-Out is trash between buns. Whataburger isn't as good as your standard mom-and-pop hole in the wall burg joint, but it's good if you're drunk/pulling an all nighter studying and it's 4AM.

Also, anecdote that baffled me that I would like to share since we're discussing it. My friend from my hometown up north visited Texas for the first time. She only went to two places to eat, In-N-Out and Texas Roadhouse.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Also, anecdote that baffled me that I would like to share since we're discussing it. My friend from my hometown up north visited Texas for the first time. She only went to two places to eat, In-N-Out and Texas Roadhouse.

:psyduck:

People are fuckin strange. I was standing in line at a CVS buying toiletries and two people behind me asked for a food recommendation, and then proceeded to ignore my recommendation to go two streets north into Philly's Chinatown favor of walking twice as far and paying twice as much for a lovely Mexican-for-white-people place nearby. I asked what they were doing in town: they had flown to Philadelphia from Chicago to visit QVC. The shopping channel. They wanted to visit the studio for a channel that sells stupid poo poo and see where the magic was made. Can't make that kind of stuff up.