Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Also, Yale will be almost impossible to get in with your numbers. If you were going to get into Yale with those numbers, it'd be because you accomplished something that already would have made you attractive to the FS. Full ride at T14 will be almost impossible with those numbers too. There is that public service full ride at NYU though; I'm not sure about the exact requirements of that (a goon with a baseball cap--wearing avatar has that), but I'm sure that would be a longshot too. I wish I had a good idea for you. Maybe try to get a full ride with a lower-ranked law school or an unprestigious masters just to meet these minimum requirements you say the FS has. And yeah, there's applying to the Peace Corps or joining the military too.

Ultra-late, but the public interest scholarship at NYU is probably not the best bet for him if he wants to work exclusively for the foreign service. (Also because he would be foregoing the possibility of working at a firm unless he wants to pay his tuition back in full) If anyone is interested in hearing more about the scholarship, they can PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Goddamn it. This was the last thread I thought I'd have to worry about seeing that image. gently caress.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Seriously, I've managed to not see that poo poo until now and there it is in the goddamn law thread.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
is that his bone sticking out of his shin

:psyduck:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Yeah he got a sweet open compound fracture right there in glorious HD. It was the worst sports injury I've ever seen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Is IBR actually a viable thing?

After graduating in May, I've been on the standard 10-year repayment plan, but I'm really questioning how long it's sustainable for me. My Payments are $1750/mo. with a little less than $400 of that going to actual principal, and considering what I'm earning, I'm barely breaking even each month. I have a low-level Attorney position practicing in an area of law that I couldn't hate more, but it was literally the only real Attorney position I could find. After 9 months of continuous applications and interviews, I have no reason to believe I'm any closer to getting a position that pays more, or that I hate less.

I really like the idea of paying back my loans in ten years, but sooner or later something's gotta give.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Blakkout posted:

My Payments are $1750/mo. with a little less than $400 of that going to actual principal

What the gently caress. Is this typical of law grads?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That's, at a guess, 150k of debt at 6.8%? Sadly that's lower than many people would have if they didn't use IBR for the next 25 years.

edit-I got out with debt in the 70k range, didn't find work for a year, and will still have it paid off in about 7-8 total years even if I never break 50k/yr . Live like a miser :getin:

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2013

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Blakkout posted:

After graduating in May, I've been on the standard 10-year repayment plan, but I'm really questioning how long it's sustainable for me. My Payments are $1750/mo. with a little less than $400 of that going to actual principal, and considering what I'm earning, I'm barely breaking even each month. I have a low-level Attorney position practicing in an area of law that I couldn't hate more, but it was literally the only real Attorney position I could find. After 9 months of continuous applications and interviews, I have no reason to believe I'm any closer to getting a position that pays more, or that I hate less.

I really like the idea of paying back my loans in ten years, but sooner or later something's gotta give.

10 years is dumb unless your making big law salary.

I figure it like this, 30 year repayment when you graduate and increase the payments as your income raises and your career stabilizes. At least that's what I tell myself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Hi there law thread. I'm starting law school in the fall. I'm not paying for school and have more than enough GI bill to do one of my schools dual programs. I'm thinking about getting an MS in economics along with my JD. What do you think?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've stopped trying to figure out how long it will take to pay my loans back, I just assume I'll have them for life at this point. Every month I basically pay a $600 "don't call me asking where the money is" fee

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Blakkout posted:

If only 23% of your payments are going into the principal, it seems like you should do IBR. Also the discharge is after 25 years rather than 30 now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I love that #4 is nurse. Eat poo poo with your "do go, lots of jobs, die loved" bullshit, Nursing Megathread :unsmigghh:

This gave me a laugh, I fully expected to see Nurses on that list. We are some unhappy people. The only perk is getting 4 days off a week.

On topic, has anyone here worked with nurses on cases? It seems that there is a Legal Nurse Consultant field, and I've been doing a little research into it. As I don't know any nurses who are in the field, I figure this would be my next best place to ask.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
^^ I've filed bankruptcy for a lot of nurses if that counts :P Creditors seem to like garnishing them.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hi there law thread. I'm starting law school in the fall. I'm not paying for school and have more than enough GI bill to do one of my schools dual programs. I'm thinking about getting an MS in economics along with my JD. What do you think?

Everyone I knew that did dual programs with their JD were all happy at first, then in year 2 were ready to commit suicide.

It depends on what you wanna do after you graduate. Will the MS help you? Will the JD help you? For most jobs, one of those degrees will be dead weight. Figure out what job you want, and just get the degree for that.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

MoFauxHawk posted:

If only 23% of your payments are going into the principal, it seems like you should do IBR. Also the discharge is after 25 years rather than 30 now.

20 years, if you can qualify for Pay As You Earn. Lower payback rates, too.

Not sure whether you'd qualify, or if all of your loans would qualify, but if you graduated just last year with all federal loans, you should look into it.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Zo posted:

What the gently caress. Is this typical of law grads?

I doubt it.

mastershakeman posted:

That's, at a guess, 150k of debt at 6.8%? Sadly that's lower than many people would have if they didn't use IBR for the next 25 years.

drat close. About $140K at a combination of 6.8% and 7.8% rates, none of which is from undergrad.

Roger_Mudd posted:

10 years is dumb unless your making big law salary.

I figure it like this, 30 year repayment when you graduate and increase the payments as your income raises and your career stabilizes. At least that's what I tell myself.

I guess that's probably the answer I'm looking for, it's just so demoralizing to give up on paying this off in a reasonable amount of time. My ultimate decision seems to really hinge on whether money saved will accrue value faster than this debt compounds based on the interest rate. I haven't done the math in a few months now, but the difference in 10 years v. 25 years is about double over the life of the loan.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Not that you're wrong, but obviously as more and more interest gets paid down, that percentage will increase. I think in my 6 months or so of repayment, each month has been like an additional $25 toward principal or some poo poo. I'm at the worst of it right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

woozle wuzzle posted:

^^ I've filed bankruptcy for a lot of nurses if that counts :P Creditors seem to like garnishing them.

Everyone I knew that did dual programs with their JD were all happy at first, then in year 2 were ready to commit suicide.

It depends on what you wanna do after you graduate. Will the MS help you? Will the JD help you? For most jobs, one of those degrees will be dead weight. Figure out what job you want, and just get the degree for that.

I've got a few different options available for me when I'm done. I'm on disability amongst other things so money isn't a huge issue to me. I've already got a BS in economics. I figure that I'd have more options opened up with the dual degree but I really don't know.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Oh sweet jesus.

I'm too tired to yell at you properly, dude. But you're loving nuts. JD does not "open doors" or whatever unless you're an actual lawyer. Same with banking & MS in economics. Unless you're gunning for a specific niche position that requires both (which you aren't), then instead you're just a watered down person that's less employable in either field than a person with a single degree. Somebody else yell at him please, I'm going to bed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

woozle wuzzle posted:

Oh sweet jesus.

I'm too tired to yell at you properly, dude. But you're loving nuts. JD does not "open doors" or whatever unless you're an actual lawyer. Same with banking & MS in economics. Unless you're gunning for a specific niche position that requires both (which you aren't), then instead you're just a watered down person that's less employable in either field than a person with a single degree. Somebody else yell at him please, I'm going to bed.

I know I'm being a bit nebulous at this point. Really a big part of it is using up all of my GI benefits that I won't with just a JD or an MS alone. It's not something I'm going to do if I can't find a way to make it really work, though. Hence my asking.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have an MA in economics and I'm in my 2nd year of law school.

As far as I can tell, the MA in economics is absolutely useless to me career-wise. I mean, I know a bunch of poo poo about statistics now, but so far I haven't seen any practical application for my masters in a) law school, or b) my summer job.

I like to think that it helped me get a scholarship and land a continuing summer job (which will hopefully lead to an articling position), but deep down I know that the econ degree is going to be completely useless to basically anything I do as a lawyer.

Pick one or the other, and stick with it. Whichever one you think is more likely to get you a job. I don't know how the market is for econ grads in the US, so I can't really talk about it, but you know how the market is for law grads down there.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 2, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

burf posted:

I have an MA in economics and I'm in my 2nd year of law school.

As far as I can tell, the MA in economics is absolutely useless to me career-wise. I mean, I know a bunch of poo poo about statistics now, but so far I haven't seen any practical application for my masters in a) law school, or b) my summer job.

I like to think that it helped me get a scholarship and land a continuing summer job (which will hopefully lead to an articling position), but deep down I know that the econ degree is going to be completely useless to basically anything I do as a lawyer.

Pick one or the other, and stick with it. Whichever one you think is more likely to get you a job. I don't know how the market is for econ grads in the US, so I can't really talk about it, but you know how the market is for law grads down there.

Thanks. That's something tangible. I appreciate your input.

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002
nm

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Blakkout posted:

My Payments are $1750/mo. with a little less than $400 of that going to actual principal

gently caress me.

I thought I had it rough on my $850/month with about $600 of that going to principal. Is this kind of repayment plan typical in the US?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

gently caress me.

I thought I had it rough on my $850/month with about $600 of that going to principal. Is this kind of repayment plan typical in the US?

Yep. My 30 year repayments are around 1500 (IBR would be around 1850 and a 10 year plan around 2500). I have no idea how much goes to principal, because knowing that would be loving depressing.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Kalman posted:

I have no idea how much goes to principal, because knowing that would be loving depressing.
My loan balance goes up every month by a small amount, which means my IBR payments aren't even covering the interest that accrues each month.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

10-8 posted:

My loan balance goes up every month by a small amount, which means my IBR payments aren't even covering the interest that accrues each month.

You and I are just sweetening to pot for when our loan forgiveness hits.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

10-8 posted:

And we're just holding our breath waiting for the day when some cunty senator notices all of this and says "something must be wrong with these lazy graduates, let's find a way to gently caress them out of more money" instead of the more logical "something must be wrong with the way we make people pay for school, let's fix that"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

HolySwissCheese posted:

You and I are just sweetening to pot for when our loan forgiveness hits.

Yup, I pay $0 on whatever the interest is, every month. I'm just waiting on something changing. I especially love that even though 90% of my business is public defender work, I don't qualify for the public service forgiveness.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I am desperate enough for work that I've submitted an application to be a career services guy at a law school.

If I get the job, I think I will decorate my office with whiskey bottles, sleeping pills, pistols, and nooses.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
That'd be sweet. You could setup internships with comapnies like Target and Home Depot. Not in legal. But like cashier and truck unloader jobs.

"Come to State Law! We have the nation's highest employment rate* after graduation!"

* including retail

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

echopapa posted:

I am desperate enough for work that I've submitted an application to be a career services guy at a law school.

If I get the job, I think I will decorate my office with whiskey bottles, sleeping pills, pistols, and nooses.

If you get the job, make sure somebody in your office tells the students (particularly rising 2Ls) about the annual Equal Justice Works job fair before or at the start of their ~two week window for applications. We have a person at Northwestern whose sole responsibility is supposed to be public interest career help, and she still didn't tell 2Ls about the EJW conference until there were about three or four days left in that window, no mention of the conference to our class before then at any point. I had to scramble to write a lot of cover letters last fall. That's easily the biggest public interest job-related event of the year for law students and you'd think if there's one single thing her job as public interest career advisor entails, it should be telling student about that conference. She could do nothing else and only that one thing and she'd still be a better public interest advisor than she is now. We'd be much, much better off using her presumably pretty nice salary to fund 15-20 summer public interest fellowships for students.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Picky question that has generated some dispute--should it be "attorneys' fees" or "attorney's fees" or "attorney fees"?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Picky question that has generated some dispute--should it be "attorneys' fees" or "attorney's fees" or "attorney fees"?

It's "attorneys' fees," since it can apply to multiple lawyers and whatnot.

A couple of links:

quote:

the Civil Rights Attorneys' Fees Awards Act of 1976.
http://scholarlycommons.law.wlu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2277&context=wlulr

quote:

Attorneys' fees as costs in damage actions of ten thousand dollars or less — Allowed to prevailing party.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.84.250

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

ulmont posted:

And by extrapolation, if there is only one attorney it is "attorney's fees."

"Attorney fee" is simply wrong.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ulmont posted:

That was my opinion, but unfortunately it's not shared by everyone, apparently.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Attorneys' fees. I had the same dispute with a coworker a few weeks back. I just looked up the attorneys' fees subsections of 42 USC 1983 and stuck with that.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
As a non-law anything following this thread I find it hilarious that a question of grammar just got settled by case law.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

As a non-law anything following this thread I find it hilarious that a question of grammar just got settled by case law.

Federal statute actually, even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

awkward_turtle posted:

Please, we can cite to precedent to support that tomatoes are vegetables, this is nothing.